PDA

View Full Version : On the way to Crystal Focus V4

Pages : 1 [2]

SWAT Strachan
04-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Has anyone considered the possibility of an impartial lottery? Everyone who wants a board could submit their name, and then Erv could just draw 50 at random from a beret... err.. hat :mrgreen:. Then it'll be down to good ol' fashioned luck.

erv
04-20-2008, 01:11 AM
lol for the lottery thing... oh man... I mean, it's even sort of weird for me. Sure, it's great that the board is "popular", but it's reaching a breakpoint. The thin line between craftmanship and series. Well, 100 pieces IS a serie... But selling in 4 minutes means that you guys are really hungry. I would be, if I wanted to complete my best saber...

It's too early to define the way I'm going to sell them, but for sure, I won't orient it to competition. Maybe motivation, since I prefer "the stategy of the effort", it goes a little bit with someone above said, like take a day off, get a confirmed paypal account. You maximize your chances. It's true, and I can't tell how much I appreciate the EFFORTS some of you have made. It's worth for any kind of activity, hobby, work or whatever. Instead of staring at your toes saying "I'm never gonna have one", you... take the bull by the horns as we say in french (I suppose texan guys are good at that, I LOVE their long horns :mrgreen:).

So, to me, motivation was listening to my emails and subscribe to the newsletter, read the user's manual, buy adequate tools and so on. We've reached the point where finally you ALL did that. You prepared your shopping basket, waited the right time, some of you took a day off... WTF ! can't be more *motivation* in the air.
With this high demand, we are back to unfair selection, that I was trying to avoid.
But I'm an engineer, so I'll quit for a couple of days, brainstorm, and I'll come back to you with an appropriate solution.
Like I'm pleased to quote : Ask en engineer how much is 1+1 ? I'll answer "how much do you want it to be !"

Have a nice sunday,
Erv'

eastern57
04-20-2008, 01:37 AM
As always, Erv, you humble me with your number one quality: class. We get treated like friends rather than customers... and there's no substitute for that.

I think part of the draw of crystal focus saber core is the man behind it... the icing on the cake, the cherry on top... the butter on the toast!

Vazan Maceu
04-20-2008, 02:41 AM
I´ve just read it... Gone in just 4 minutes? Whew... Now that´s what I call a demanded product ;)

you... take the bull by the horns as we say in french

And in spanish too!! :D

Congratulations for the new batch to you and all the people who managed to get one :)

Braxus
04-20-2008, 07:27 AM
lol i was just doing a little math....

each CF4.0 costs approx $200
sold 50

thats approx. $10,000 in under 5 min. WOW!!!!!!!!!

just out of curiosity whats your total cost of parts, Erv? I know you cant put a price on all the hard work you do planning it, buying the right parts, testing, putting it all together, ect... but that sounds like a pretty good days work lol if there really isnt a big profit, then i salute you, thats alot of money you must have spent to build just those 50 boards.

:::BOW::: you are with out a doubt the Master of the Buttered Toast!!!

Sohryu76
04-20-2008, 07:41 AM
lol i was just doing a little math....

each CF4.0 costs approx $200
sold 50

thats approx. $10,000 in under 5 min. WOW!!!!!!!!!

just out of curiosity whats your total cost of parts, Erv? I know you cant put a price on all the hard work you do planning it, buying the right parts, testing, putting it all together, ect... but that sounds like a pretty good days work lol if there really isnt a big profit, then i salute you, thats alot of money you must have spent to build just those 50 boards.

:::BOW::: you are with out a doubt the Master of the Buttered Toast!!!

10,000... I'm in the wrong business...

SWAT Strachan
04-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Bear in mind though the development time involved, the research and potential wastage (this isn't an industrial scale operation after all), the effort and cost needed to even source the parts, then program them once built, I mean the sheer labour involved must be monumental!

I'd say he's earnt it :).

Sohryu76
04-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Bear in mind though the development time involved, the research and potential wastage (this isn't an industrial scale operation after all), the effort and cost needed to even source the parts, then program them once built, I mean the sheer labour involved must be monumental!

I'd say he's earnt it :).

oh no doubt he's earned it...
and you are right its not a huge scale industrial machine...
but he also would have had profits from the last 3 CFs... and the knowledge from each of those as a stepping block to this new version...

I'm envious because he seems to so easily do something I could never imagine trying! I'm lucky I can wire the damn thing up! next he's going to sell me his trooper voice amp... sans clicking...

Hasid Lafre
04-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Remember you got to convert that price to euros.

Exchange Rate as of Apr 18 is 0.6324 to one us dollar.

So 10000 U.S. Dollar works out to be like 6,324.1100 euros.

Novastar
04-20-2008, 10:02 AM
And everyone wondered why I made that video "Gone in 60 CF seconds"... :) Maybe I need to make a new one, hahahah.

Also, no question that Erv has earned this! Also, no question it is a lot of money in a short period of time... but keep in mind:

* Erv had to purchase ALL of the parts somewhat individually... PRIOR to constructing the boards...
* Uh, he had to hand-construct/solder the boards... duh.
* He had to individually program each board, and test... duh.
* I hope no one thinks that it's $10,000 profit... as... the parts cost money.
* The labor involved requires his expertise. In other words--most any of us could not put the boards together! So... even IF the parts cost a fraction of the price you pay... DON'T forget Erv's labor + R&D + labor.
* Additionally, Erv *CLEARLY* listens to his customers and implements an entire THRONG of options that otherwise wouldn't be seen in a product. I mean, how many products do you know that: if you request option X... you actually *WITNESS* it in a follow-up version?!?! Almost none.

So anyhow, I'm probably preachin' to the choir, but... there ya go! :)

Oh, and I'm working on the Sound Compendium as we speak. My goal is to get it completed as soon as I can!

DarthFender
04-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Just to chime in about the run....

Erv sold 71 boards in like 4 minutes. That is unheard of.... That's insane.

Here is the correct math.

&1 boards at 115 Euros each is 8,165 Euros.

Converted at today's rate... that's 12,912.95 US Dollars. I gotta hand it to Erv for developing a product that can return its investment value and then some.. in under 5 minutes.

That is just staggering. And it's a testament to the quality of the product.

Sohryu76
04-20-2008, 10:12 AM
yeah he gives us a better rate though...
it was only 183 USD for the board though

Sohryu76
04-20-2008, 10:17 AM
And everyone wondered why I made that video "Gone in 60 CF seconds"... :) Maybe I need to make a new one, hahahah.

Also, no question that Erv has earned this! Also, no question it is a lot of money in a short period of time... but keep in mind:

* Erv had to purchase ALL of the parts somewhat individually... PRIOR to constructing the boards...
* Uh, he had to hand-construct/solder the boards... duh.
* He had to individually program each board, and test... duh.
* I hope no one thinks that it's $10,000 profit... as... the parts cost money.
* The labor involved requires his expertise. In other words--most any of us could not put the boards together! So... even IF the parts cost a fraction of the price you pay... DON'T forget Erv's labor + R&D + labor.
* Additionally, Erv *CLEARLY* listens to his customers and implements an entire THRONG of options that otherwise wouldn't be seen in a product. I mean, how many products do you know that: if you request option X... you actually *WITNESS* it in a follow-up version?!?! Almost none.

So anyhow, I'm probably preachin' to the choir, but... there ya go! :)

Oh, and I'm working on the Sound Compendium as we speak. My goal is to get it completed as soon as I can!

you make good points, Nova.. and I think all of us agree that it isnt 10k in pure profit... and we hope that eventually Erv will be able to get these boards produced quicker/in larger quantities so he doesnt have to painstakingly work through each individual board... more time for Erv to do more work on other projects... and possibly a few Euro lower cost...

I can only express my appreciation to someone like Erv and Tim and Corbin for what they offer us. I can't even cut a decent shroud out of a sink pipe... yet alone mill a saber hilt or any of the electronics involved. If it wasnt for this forum, and everyone here who has the knowledge, i'd still be stuck with a MR saber (which I just recently sold! woohoo) and not my custom saber that is currently in the works...

Chris

SWAT Strachan
04-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Lucky for the US ;). Us poor brits are getting hammered by the euro at the moment. Normally €1 is worth about 66-67 pence, currently it's €1 = 78 pence :(.

On a board that costs €115 that means a jump from £77 to £89! Good ol' Gordon Brown (ex chancellor of the exchequer, now our unelected Prime Minister)...

Still worth it though :mrgreen:.

erv
04-20-2008, 10:30 AM
while, as you'd guess, I'm not going to talk about cost price of CF boards, I'll add that, for sure (unfortunatly :mrgreen:) it's not a 10 grands profit. Far from it.
I'm not talking about the time taken to assemble them (this I'm not really counting, otherwise I'll be dead :mrgreen:), but just the cost of parts, and shipping. It's getting optimized now, but I can't reduce the cost of parts :rolleyes:
As for the research and R&D, I don't need any mercy. I mean, sure, I haven't designed the board in 5 minutes and it took about 1 years to stabilize certain things from CF V1 to V4, since integrating the luxeon driver to the sound board and therefore implement all the light fx made on the same processor as the sound required a lot of optimization. As for research cost, true also, I had to buy things without being sure they will be 100% adequate, but at the end, no real waste, I target pretty well my needs.

in any case, no worries for asking / talking about that. Be sure I'm neither stupid nor Mother Theresa, I don't work only for charity or glory, so yes, I make profit but I'm not robbing anyone :-D

Hasid Lafre
04-20-2008, 10:32 AM
For us 200 Us dollers is about 100 BP

DarthFender
04-20-2008, 10:51 AM
while, as you'd guess, I'm not going to talk about cost price of CF boards, I'll add that, for sure (unfortunatly :mrgreen:) it's not a 10 grands profit. .................. Be sure I'm neither stupid nor Mother Theresa, I don't work only for charity or glory, so yes, I make profit but I'm not robbing anyone :-D

Erv,
I never meant to imply that myself. Although, I for one would not mind if you were able to produce the boards for 5 Euros and still sell them for 115. (Not that I think you eould do that.) They are worth every bit if it.

I'm sure that if people ingeneral felt they were getting "ripped off", there is no way you would sell that many, that quickly. I really am impressed with that. 4 minutes.... Damn. C'est incroyable!.

acerocket
04-20-2008, 11:12 AM
I must say I am disappointed over the talk of how much Erv made from these. Erv is (as far as my dealings with him have been) a stand-up guy and what he sells his product for is his decision. It is an insult to him to start talking about how much money he made from his recent sale - how fast do you think you'd get banned from this forum if you started talking about how much Tim makes from his parts?

As far as fairness in selling them, I bet Erv tried to be as fair as possible, but come on, 73 units in 5 minutes. I doubt his website sales software could keep up. I think a lottery would be the fairest way to do it since he can draw as many names as he has boards. Plus, it would eliminate the posibillity that someone would buy several boards just to resell on EvilBAY with a huge markup (not bad if you are the seller, but I think it's just a dirty thing to do). I'm sure Erv will give this some thought for the next batch. I just hope he keeps up the production until I can afford another one or two in the future.

SWAT Strachan
04-20-2008, 11:24 AM
I must say I am disappointed over the talk of how much Erv made from these. Erv is (as far as my dealings with him have been) a stand-up guy and what he sells his product for is his decision. It is an insult to him to start talking about how much money he made from his recent sale - how fast do you think you'd get banned from this forum if you started talking about how much Tim makes from his parts?

As far as fairness in selling them, I bet Erv tried to be as fair as possible, but come on, 73 units in 5 minutes. I doubt his website sales software could keep up. I think a lottery would be the fairest way to do it since he can draw as many names as he has boards. Plus, it would eliminate the posibillity that someone would buy several boards just to resell on EvilBAY with a huge markup (not bad if you are the seller, but I think it's just a dirty thing to do). I'm sure Erv will give this some thought for the next batch. I just hope he keeps up the production until I can afford another one or two in the future.I don't think anyone metioned the amounts of money involved in a negative sense, it was just an observation. As far as I can see people would have been willing to pay more to get their hands on a slice of buttered toast (slowly getting the hang of the lingo :mrgreen: ).

People on here know the level of effort involved, and everyone knows that Erv is doing this (in part) to make a profit, that's just plain business sense! As for the sales method on his site, well yes, it did have trouble keeping up, but then again I doubt it was ever designed to cope with these kinds of mad rush sales. Leave it to Erv, he'll come up with something (maybe a lottery, sounds like the best method to me as it cuts out disadvantages such as timezones, people working, laggy internet connections, slow PayPal servers etc).

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
04-20-2008, 11:43 AM
I, for one, and happy to give Erv my money for this excellent product, and I certainly hope that he profited from it. He deserves it!

The way I see it, is that $185 is still less than a golfer would spend on a good quality driver, or a fisherman would spend on a good rod and reel, or whatever. I paid a fair price for an incredible product, and there are no complaints from this Jedi. I don't even mind waiting until May to get it.

On the other hand, if I see any of these popping up on Ebay in the near future, I may turn to the dark side and bring a little Sith vengeance down on the seller.

(Of course, if someone sells a saber with a CF in it, that's different. I'm talking about someone buying to re-sell.)

acerocket
04-20-2008, 11:48 AM
The talk may not have been negative, but it still shows a lack of tact and it is in very poor taste to discuss such matters publicly.

Quick edit: I too would be happy to give my money to Erv (if I had any right now). He does indeed deserve to reap rewards from his work. But that doesn't mean it's OK to openly speak about how much profit he makes.

xwingband
04-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Well remember the dollar is depreciating. So it's only been a 15 Euro increase since I got my V1.1. So these theoreticals in USD don't really count for too much, especially when cost and complexity has only gone up.

I'm willing to pony up because you can't anything close to it's quality elsewhere.

eastern57
04-20-2008, 12:06 PM
PLEASE ALLOW ME TO DIVERT EVERYONE'S ATTENTION!!

No money talk, no profit or cost talk, not even R&D...

Erv is a father, husband and professional working stiff - just like some of us. And I WILL add, a FINE human being. Discussion of this nature occurs in a unique environment (online forum), but its still right in front of him! I think this has gone on long enough and the subject needs to focus on something else...

Lets say... puppies.... or puppies with lightsabers... whatever.

SWAT Strachan
04-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Lets say... puppies.... or puppies with lightsabers... whatever.As requested...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/swat.strachan/sith_good_boy.jpg

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
04-20-2008, 12:52 PM
font="attention diverting silliness"

How about Sith Squirrels?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1126239/Sith_squirrel.jpg

Look out, you black denizen of evil! The Jedi Pups are coming after you!

/font

Hasid Lafre
04-20-2008, 01:54 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/Sidneyious/Misc%20Pics/Star%20Wars%20Pics/cookies.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/Sidneyious/Misc%20Pics/Star%20Wars%20Pics/darthpug-stormy.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/Sidneyious/Misc%20Pics/Star%20Wars%20Pics/Attackofthemuppets.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/Sidneyious/Misc%20Pics/Star%20Wars%20Pics/HanSolo.gif

eastern57
04-20-2008, 02:11 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/Sidneyious/Misc%20Pics/Star%20Wars%20Pics/cookies.jpg

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!

Dark Helmet
04-20-2008, 02:17 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee44/darthdouchebag/Pic1187.jpg

Hasid Lafre
04-20-2008, 02:35 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/Sidneyious/Misc%20Pics/Star%20Wars%20Pics/JediStich.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/Sidneyious/Misc%20Pics/Star%20Wars%20Pics/MrYoda.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/Sidneyious/Misc%20Pics/Star%20Wars%20Pics/TMNTJedis.jpg

SWAT Strachan
04-20-2008, 02:52 PM
OK, that Mr T one definitely puts my PaintShop skillz to shame :mrgreen:.

X
04-20-2008, 03:11 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f39/guyver04/Sith_cat.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f39/guyver04/Jedi_Puss_in_Boots_by_Herbergerber.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f39/guyver04/funny-pictures-deathstar-hamster.jpg

Braxus
04-20-2008, 05:40 PM

As far as fairness in selling them, I bet Erv tried to be as fair as possible, but come on, 73 units in 5 minutes. I doubt his website sales software could keep up. I think a lottery would be the fairest way to do it since he can draw as many names as he has boards. Plus, it would eliminate the posibillity that someone would buy several boards just to resell on EvilBAY with a huge markup (not bad if you are the seller, but I think it's just a dirty thing to do). I'm sure Erv will give this some thought for the next batch. I just hope he keeps up the production until I can afford another one or two in the future.

Wow, i didnt mean anything by my comment. When i asked how much the cost was, i was not asking literly. I was just saying that approx. $10,000 worth of sales is a really awsome thing in under 5 min. and that looking at it that way, he had to spend a crap load of money for the parts. i was saluting and praising him for both making a quality product, spending god knows how long doing the behind the scenes work, and for more than likely fronting out a crap load of money to do it all. Honestly i dont care what his actual monetary profit was, i just think he is the MAN!!!! All Hail Erv, Master of The Buttered Toast!!!!!

:)

Marsupial
04-20-2008, 08:06 PM
l
Like I'm pleased to quote : Ask en engineer how much is 1+1 ? I'll answer "how much do you want it to be !"

Oh, and I tought the answer was "for what values of 1?" :S

TO erv:
Wow! he, c'est parti comme des pe**** pains chauds! Félicitations Manu! à ce rythme la, comme on dit chez nous "Calisse d'ostie de tabarnacle de saint-siminac!"... si tu comprends ce que je veux dire. En tout cas, félicitations!

Kudos to Erv to spend all his free time away from the kids soldering your boards.

Count Malik
04-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Ya!! I'm number 617 but at least I got one:shock::D. But since our boards will be comeing around the end of May. So for some of us including myself will have that time to buy more/the rest of our saber parts. So by the time our CF v4.0s get to us we will have all/most of our parts ready for soldering.:D

kazei maru
04-20-2008, 09:52 PM
while, as you'd guess, I'm not going to talk about cost price of CF boards, I'll add that, for sure (unfortunatly :mrgreen:) it's not a 10 grands profit. Far from it.
I'm not talking about the time taken to assemble them (this I'm not really counting, otherwise I'll be dead :mrgreen:), but just the cost of parts, and shipping. It's getting optimized now, but I can't reduce the cost of parts :rolleyes:
As for the research and R&D, I don't need any mercy. I mean, sure, I haven't designed the board in 5 minutes and it took about 1 years to stabilize certain things from CF V1 to V4, since integrating the luxeon driver to the sound board and therefore implement all the light fx made on the same processor as the sound required a lot of optimization. As for research cost, true also, I had to buy things without being sure they will be 100% adequate, but at the end, no real waste, I target pretty well my needs.

in any case, no worries for asking / talking about that. Be sure I'm neither stupid nor Mother Theresa, I don't work only for charity or glory, so yes, I make profit but I'm not robbing anyone :-D

I just want to praise Erv for all his efforts & dedication to customer satisfaction! If all manufacturers designed products with quality & customer input in mind, they would sell more & everyone would be happier. But they choose to produce cheap junk to make huge profits. Items like cars, toys, appliances, etc. Lucky for us we have Erv on the side of the Jedi! Greedy corporate businesses of the Sith will eventually fall!

Kant Lavar
04-20-2008, 10:43 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/Sidneyious/Misc%20Pics/Star%20Wars%20Pics/MrYoda.jpg

Congratulations, sir. You have won one (1) Internet.

Jeescook
04-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Hey Erv, because there is only about 30 more boards being sold in May, will you be selling them differently or will it be another mad rush to see how get through the checkout first?

Kant Lavar
04-20-2008, 11:22 PM
He's thinking about it. Let him be. ;)

erv
04-21-2008, 03:26 AM
LOL ! I've been almost dying of laughting at those puppies pics... So nice... and distractive !

- Ace, thanks for the comments (all of them). Appreciate your point of view. In any case, no offense from anyone, it hasn't been negative, nor to a point of total lack ot tact, but sure, it's good sometimes to have someone avoiding a thread to derail on really unappropriate topics.

- shipped about 20 boxes this morning. The post office knows me now, and they hate me day after day :rolleyes:

- jesscook (and others) : It's still unsure how the last 30 will be sold, I'll come back to the forums with some information when I'll get rid of all the pending orders.

Novastar
04-21-2008, 03:31 AM
YOU'LL NEVER BE RID OF US!!!!!

Just kidding. :)

Well... maybe. hahahaha

erv
04-21-2008, 03:40 AM
lol,
I wasn't expecting so :mrgreen:

TroyO
04-21-2008, 09:14 AM
I have a question about the LED power output. It says you can power the board at up to 11V, but could the LED driver portion handle 9.6V @ 1400 MA output?

I have a thought to use one of the 10W LED's, with the 4 LED dies in (2) series pairs which means a forward voltage of 5 to 8v, depending on color. I think that would feed 700 MA per pair, which at least meets the nominal spec?

I see the power rating in MA, but wasn't sure if there was a max wattage issue?

DACOTA
04-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Who buys all these?! [Said in Jack Sparrow voice.]

Geese! 10 less boards and they go in five minutes, anyone wanna do the math on that.:rolleyes: Man erv.....just, man.:shock: I hope you all enjoy your boards, and have fun with your sabers.[Runs away with tail between legs before Novastar gets here]

erv
04-21-2008, 10:34 PM
I have a question about the LED power output. It says you can power the board at up to 11V, but could the LED driver portion handle 9.6V @ 1400 MA output?

I have a thought to use one of the 10W LED's, with the 4 LED dies in (2) series pairs which means a forward voltage of 5 to 8v, depending on color. I think that would feed 700 MA per pair, which at least meets the nominal spec?

I see the power rating in MA, but wasn't sure if there was a max wattage issue?

9.6V@1400mA would work, but remember that the board, like any stepdown converter, has little losses. Means that you'll have to a like 1V above the forward voltage of the LED. The loss is less than 1V, but it will ensure to have a tiny bit of autonomy at the nominal current you setup in the board.

If the 4 dyes can be organised as you want (2 in serie making a cell, and 2 cells in //), that's really great, cause you don't have to use the 4 dyes in serie and therefore have a huge power supply voltage.

What's the LED you're planning to use, I'll be glad to test it so that I can let people know if it works for sure or not, with what kind of autonomy / stamina etc.
Let us know !
Erv'

goldsaberwarrior
04-22-2008, 02:11 AM
Don't know if this was added in before but I didn't feel like reading 11 pages. I would like to see the addition of a possible force pull feature. To get it to work you may want to have a spot where you could solder on a switch to control the feature. In other words if you're doing a stunt that called for a force pull you could have someone push the button for the sound and toss you the saber to simulate it coming to you. Just a thought anyway.

Novastar
04-22-2008, 02:19 AM
What?!? Not going through the effort of 11 pages?!?! SHAME! ;)

Anyhow... well... you can have a "XXXXX" force action anytime you like, in any font you want. You don't even have to place the sound under the "force" sound if you do not like. You can call it "blaster" if you like.

The actual dealings of CF v2.x and v3.x are as follows:

"blaster" = tap the aux button briefly... quick button push, ya know?
"force" = tap or press the aux button... and trigger a swing by moving the saber
"lockup" = press and hold the aux button... after a short time, the lockup sound occurs

In my opinion, they are SORT OF "ill-named". But not really. I mean, Erv chose some good names for the sounds to help people decide what goes there. But... you are not FORCED (pardon the pun) to use any particular sound in any particular slot.

For example... I'll consider one of my fonts:

"blaster" = actually is a lightning effect
"force" = actually is a choking + crush throat effect

Lockup remains the same, although it could just as well have become lightning too, right? Makes sense.

So... the moral of the story is... YOU CAN DO IT THE BK WAY if you wish. Have it your way, pal. ;)

I think the new nickname for CF should be "Da Genie"...

"POOF! Mr. Aladdin sir, what will your pleasure be? Let me take your order, jot it down, ya ain't never had a friend like me..."

Oh and btw, version 4 includes:

"force2" = tap or press the aux button... and trigger a CLASH by moving the saber fairly hardcore, heheh
"blaster,2,3,4" = uh... I'm not really certain yet, but... basically more blaster sounds! Geez, is that enough for people out there???

That means there are now TWENTY-SEVEN individual sounds for your CF saber. Holy carp, Batman.

erv
04-22-2008, 03:22 AM
everything has been answered by nova (dang, didn't have the time to answer myself, he's so fast.... !)

just to explain a little bit more : force push or pull with the saber is pressing the aux button and wave the hilt so that it triggers a swing. Does not mean you have to swing the blade, but just make a gesture that would trigger a swing. Like pulling the hilt to you while you are pushing the other hand (just like a karaté fist gesture, one hand is going to the oponent, the other comes back to the body). Gesture must be executed BEFORE the lockup delay time is elapsed, cause if nothing happens (no gesture), the lockup effect will play. Then it's a balance between :
- swing sensitivity (so that faking a swing isn't too difficult)
- your training
- lockup delay value. If it's really short, you'll need a perfect synchro between pressing the aux button then swing

now, with V4, same thing with force2, I call it "Force Clash", you press the aux button then trigger a clash (this time by smacking 2 blades) and you get another special sound !

SWAT Strachan
04-22-2008, 03:44 AM
now, with V4, same thing with force2, I call it "Force Clash", you press the aux button then trigger a clash (this time by smacking 2 blades) and you get another special sound !That has got to be the Wilhelm Scream (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio) :mrgreen:. A full-on hard-as-you-like smack with the saber resulting in that distinct Urrrrghh!! scream from your opponent as he's knocked off his feet by the impact!

Ah yes, I can just hear it now...

Novastar
04-22-2008, 04:43 AM
Well, I can safely say that I can trigger a clash WITHOUT striking another's blade, so... I'm not really certain what *I* might put for that sound!

Kind of ironic since it was my idea to distinguish the two moves (clash vs. swing) in the first bloody place!!! lol, what the heck was I thinking?! I don't even KNOW what I'd put there...

Anyhow... some other things of note for any doubting Mustafas:

* If you like, you can simply use the "same" sound for force *AND* force2... and therefore trigger the "same" event with either (clash or swing) + button

* Same with the new blasters. I mean, sure, most people would WANT the multiple blasters... but if you SOMEhow do NOT... you just copy the same sound to all 4 files.

Now WHY would you want to do this? I don't know, but... maybe you'd like:

4 Lightning sounds... each a little different...
4 Blaster sounds... each a little different...
4 Push sounds... each a little different...
etc.

Or maybe you *DO* want to hear a random one, so you do one lightning, one blaster, one force push, one force choke/grip... :)

THAT'S RIGHT... LIKE I SAID BEFORE--NOW IT'S JUST **RIDICULOUS** HOW MUCH VARIETY THERE IS!!!

More choices on the table than at grandma's house during Thanksgiving with the entire family. Yeah, feast your eyes on the BUTTERED TOAST, boys and girls.

Ker-BAM! That's right... ... Ker. Bam.

erv
04-22-2008, 05:16 AM
wilhem scream !!!! YES !!!!
just like here
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PhB1AZCaP6U

yep, possibilities are definitly increasing, but now, "good news" for the sound font makers, I'm at the limit of what the current firmware can handle for the number of files per directories, so... I don't think it's going to evolve in a magic way, unless I rework on the SD card support part of the firmware.
Which I'll probably do, if I move to FAT32 support (sort of logical since we are now all using big capacities microSD cards).

Soldered like 50 accelerometers, it's sunny outside, time for physical exercice... Let's get the lanspeeder out... hu.. I mean... the lanmower

Erv'

TroyO
04-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Erv, the LED I'm using is the LED Engin 10 Watt green. (I actually have one already, and in a saber that's almost done... just no buttered toasty goodness. ;-)

Here's the spec sheet for green.

http://www.ledengin.com/products/10wLZ/LZ4-00G110.pdf

I haven't made a saber in about 3-4 years, LOL. I ran into that LED on Mouser, on a totally non-saber related project and just had to try it.

Here’s the Mouser linky.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?N=2093270+4294758820+1323038&Ns=P_Power+Rating%7c1%7c%7cP_SField&FS=TRUE

There's a version on a star base, so it's pretty similar to hooking up a regular Lux style LED. You have to jumper the pads to connect each die, but you can get to the cathode and anode of each die separately. I even used a K2 optic. (May not be optimal but it seems to work just fine based on the “spot on the wall” test. ;-P)

I’m using 2 X 700 MA Buckpucks, each powering 2 Die’s. If there are no wattage issues, the FV is listed as 14-15 V for all 4 dies, so to me that means it’s 3.5 to 3.75 per die? So, running 2 pairs you keep the voltage down to 7 to 7.5 V… at least that’s the math I used to come up with using 9.6V worth of batteries and buckpucks.

I could even send you mine, mounted on a heatsink and wired with TCS quick connects if you’d be willing to wait a couple of weeks. (I’m just finishing it… need some play time with it, after which I’ll get bored and not think of it until the next con, LOL.) Mail it back before next April and all is well. ;-P

PS... I couldn't find any way to determine the BIN on what I ordered from Mouser, so I'm using my best guess that the specs are somewhere in the middle-average range.... so 425 lumens.

erv
04-22-2008, 09:52 AM
ok, THIS IS the future
individual access to the dyes inside, custom wiring and it exists in RGB. what else to ask ?
(a standard product from TCSS)

now we need optics, but since the dyes are inside an almost ponctual location / area, shouldn't be a problem.

At least FSM will reveal itself.... at least, LED will have revenge :mrgreen:

Ok, I have to check if I can find a supplier close to my place, I just can't afford to order from mouser

THANKS FOR SHARING, for the benefits of the led saber community !
Erv'

TroyO
04-22-2008, 10:01 AM
No problem... I'll be doing a full write up on it shortly. I used an MR 616 kit for sound, run through a simple inverting Op-Amp to turn the pucks on and off. (Since the &(*^% buckpucks think that a high signal is off... bleh! It still doesn't fade well, but it does fade perceptibly.)

The K2 optic works pretty well, although you get a 4-leaf clover look from the 4 dies shining on the wall. It doesn't appear visible with a blade in it though, so no worries there. It keeps the beam pretty tight too.

An RGB would sure be an interesting project! Maybe after I get this one going... LOL. My GF is going to kill me, hah!

TroyO
04-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Ohhh... and whats a FSM? LOL

Hasid Lafre
04-22-2008, 02:11 PM
flashlight saber mafia.

TroyO
04-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Hehe... hmmm, I'm guessing the LED in the above isn't for Light Emiting Diode?

Count Malik
04-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Learned something new. Lol!:mrgreen: on that last part . You've arlready started on the new batch,if thats true dang you work fast!:o

wilhem scream !!!! YES !!!!
just like here
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PhB1AZCaP6U

yep, possibilities are definitly increasing, but now, "good news" for the sound font makers, I'm at the limit of what the current firmware can handle for the number of files per directories, so... I don't think it's going to evolve in a magic way, unless I rework on the SD card support part of the firmware.
Which I'll probably do, if I move to FAT32 support (sort of logical since we are now all using big capacities microSD cards).

Soldered like 50 accelerometers, it's sunny outside, time for physical exercice... Let's get the lanspeeder out... hu.. I mean... the lanmower

Erv'

Novastar
04-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Hehe... hmmm, I'm guessing the LED in the above isn't for Light Emiting Diode?Oh no, I;'m sure it was! :)

Troyo, WOW this is great news!!! I'm dying to see this... although I would like to chime in and say... what if you used 11.1v Li-Ion? Would that be helpful with a little bit more than 9.6v?

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2565

It would need a neato custom hilt part, but... that might be cool... :)

Don't mind me, I'm just a Li-Ion freak... despite their amp draw limitations, heheh.

erv
04-22-2008, 10:28 PM
yes it is, it's probably the LAST acronym still valid here :mrgreen:

Hehe... hmmm, I'm guessing the LED in the above isn't for Light Emiting Diode?

goldsaberwarrior
04-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Sounds like it's coming good. Now all I need is cash and a time machine.

erv
04-22-2008, 11:09 PM
yep, a "Freeze time" button would be so usefull during the panic order :rolleyes:

TroyO
04-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Novastar, it could be helpful, depending on configuration of parts.

Erv lists his board up to 11V, I believe. The problem is that at full charge that guy is 12.7, LOL. I guess you could put a voltage regulator on it?

I'm not sure exactly how buckpucks work, if excess voltage just gets burned off as heat or it actually uses excess to lower MA draw? (IE... 10V x 1 amp is 10 watts.... if you give it 15v does it then draw .67 amps, still being 10 watts?)

I just had a though about the optics... the K2 works fine for single colors, but would it work fine for RGB?

I'm not so sure... the "4 leaf clover" pattern would have a Red, Blue and 2 green sides (Or, a Red, Gren, Blue and Yellow side, depending on which LED) so I'm not sure how well it would mix... you might end up with a tie-dyed lightsaber! (Which might be kind of cool anyway.)

The blade diffusion might be enough, though.

Grrr.... I might just have to make one, if I can get my hands on it. I don't think Mouser stocks RGB or RGBA ones.

Marsupial
04-23-2008, 10:17 AM
TroyO, it would be nice if you can compare its brightness to other known LEDs out there if/when you do that writeup of yours... I'm thinking I need to change yet again all my electronics ;)

TroyO
04-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Yep, I plan to do that. I have a Lux III red saber I made a while ago, but I lent it to someone and haven't gotten it back yet. So, for comps that's the best I can do. I have a friend who might have a Lux III greenie (If I remember correctly) but last time she went to use it, there was something up and it wouldn't charge. (Dead batts maybe?)

So... it's in the works, LOL. If I can get some combination of the above I'll be posting pics. So far I haven't bothered, because without a reference you can't really tell anything.

As a completely off the cuff observation, it's pretty darn bright. ;-)

Novastar
04-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Troyo... re: 11.1v--well, you can always ask Erv about that. It's true that 11v is indeed the limit, and certainly you wouldn't want to push things too hard, but I agree that a V regulator would work... or you could also get creative somehow I guess.

Also... I may be wrong in my thoughts with this, but... under significant LOAD, cells tend to NOT stay at their "rated" voltage, and instead drop a bit to provide the current.

Now, sure, on a "direct drive" saber or resistor-only or whatever... with: no board, no driver, no speaker, no motor, no indicator LEDs, and an LED that is drawing 1A or less... not as much load.

But with a bloody INSANE load... I would assume the cells would only be at "11.1v" (or 12!) for a brief time... if that.

But... I am NOT an electronics dude, so... none of this may be true. I may even be a figment of everyone's imagination. Hell, I mean I *KNOW* I'm a figment of my OWN imagination... ;) (or is that a FRAGment?)

P.S. *BOINK* http://youtube.com/watch?v=vjLS0J2AiMQ
...and yes, it's CF related.

DACOTA
04-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Al least you didnt f' off again. That was funny nova. I cant wait for those new fonts, and the "Mauly" font too! :lol:

TroyO
04-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Not to dis-rail this thread further, I posted some pics of the 10 Watter in this thread.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=4637

SWAT Strachan
04-24-2008, 04:54 AM
Just a quick aside here, but my buttered toast just arrived :D, and true to his word, this is what Erv sent me...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/swat.strachan/tea_and_toast.jpg

I thought he was joking about the teabag :mrgreen:.

Merci beaucoup mon ami!

Kant Lavar
04-24-2008, 05:58 AM
"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot."

Sohryu76
04-24-2008, 06:34 AM
"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot."

I always waited for the computer to tell him he needed to try something different...

erv
04-24-2008, 06:40 AM
héhé... enjoy this swat !

now, with the 10 watters, the hilt might become hot enough to directly boil water. Will make British Jedi life easier I think :mrgreen:

Now, I also have to add coffee support to V5. But for that, I'll have to reprogram the whole thing... in JAVA ! :rolleyes:

Erv'

Moordak
04-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Did I just hear a rimshot? Somewhere in the distance I swear I think I heard a cymbal.

Kant Lavar
04-24-2008, 08:10 AM
I always waited for the computer to tell him he needed to try something different...

It did in All Good Things.

TroyO
04-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Hehe, the 10 watter wouldn't boil the water but it would probably keep it warm for you. ;)

Hmmmm.... up the output on V5 and just call it Breakfast. Toast and Coffee, anyone?

Might 2 Amps @ 10V be possible in V5?

Another question... could I use a power extender to power a buckpuck?

The idea being... same wiring, 2 series sets from the 4 dies. One is powered by a CF4 @ 1 Amp, and the other is powered by the power extender @ 1 Amp via a buckpuck. I'm not sure if the power extender is linear or just on/off? I think either would work, you'd just end up with a scroll/fade then a sudden "pop" to full brightness, and a "pop" to dim it some then the fade out.

BlackDOG
04-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Did I just hear a rimshot? Somewhere in the distance I swear I think I heard a cymbal.

I heard it too......

Mad Hatter
04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
A new plan is hatched....

I'm going to use the 10W with my CF 3 and 7.4v li-ion pack. I'll run two LEDs in parallel off the main output, and the other two LEDs in series off of a power extender connected to the clash flash. Or maybe overdrive two in series off the main output...

Slightly brighter than normal blade. Super bright clash. Good battery life. Not too hot. Standard optics.

Excellent..... [Mr. Burns]

Thanks TroyO! :D

Sohryu76
04-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Very Sad day...
I havent recieved my CF yet...
and I dont know if I can even keep it...
someone give me a shoulder to lean on...

Hey Hey... no reaching into my pocket for my buttered Toast!
Bad Jedi... Bad!

Novastar
04-24-2008, 10:25 PM
A new plan is hatched....

I'm going to use the 10W with my CF 3 and 7.4v li-ion pack. I'll run two LEDs in parallel off the main output, and the other two LEDs in series off of a power extender connected to the clash flash. Or maybe overdrive two in series off the main output...

Slightly brighter than normal blade. Super bright clash. Good battery life. Not too hot. Standard optics.

Excellent..... [Mr. Burns]

Thanks TroyO! :DGlad you're liking the idea of Li-Ions. Keep in mind that their amp draw is somewhat limited. You can usually only draw about 4.2 amps from most packs. Although 11.1v packs might allow a bit more draw.

Mad Hatter
04-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Glad you're liking the idea of Li-Ions. Keep in mind that their amp draw is somewhat limited. You can usually only draw about 4.2 amps from most packs. Although 11.1v packs might allow a bit more draw.

Actually the 11.1v will have the same current limit as the 7.4 since the extra cell is wired in series.

I made my own pack using the 2600mAh 18650's from BatterySpace. The batteries (and PCB) are rated to 5A, but mine definitely has a 4.2A limit because I put a 4.2A polyswitch in it. :)

Seems like that should be plenty for this use though... I'd have somewhere between .9A (for overdriven series) and 1.4A (parallel) for the main blade. And then the same thing again for the clash flash. That gives 2.8A as a worst case. Plus all the greebly bells and whistles (motor and lights), but I can't imagine that will even make it to 500mA total. So I shouldn't ever come near the 4.2A limit.

Unless I've missed something?

TroyO
04-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Mad Hatter... that should work beautifully. I was testing usually with just one set of the LED's fired up, and it definitly was a little better than "normal" even with only 2 going.

All 4 was brighter of course, about the difference for a good flicker. But, having a flicker going brighter instead of dimmer would just look way better.

Mad Hatter
04-25-2008, 10:04 AM
I agree the flicker/clash going brighter with the 10W would be cool, but I don't know if we can do that with CF... Is it possible to have flicker and clash flash in the same circuit?

I'm sure it will work to have 2 LEDs flicker on the main, and then 2 LEDs flash on the clash. But the clash flash power extender is just on/off, triggered by impact. I don't think the 2 clash LEDs can also "assist" with blade flicker, can they?

Sounds like a question for the Master...

Erv??

Novastar
04-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Actually the 11.1v will have the same current limit as the 7.4 since the extra cell is wired in series.

I made my own pack using the 2600mAh 18650's from BatterySpace. The batteries (and PCB) are rated to 5A, but mine definitely has a 4.2A limit because I put a 4.2A polyswitch in it. :)

Seems like that should be plenty for this use though... I'd have somewhere between .9A (for overdriven series) and 1.4A (parallel) for the main blade. And then the same thing again for the clash flash. That gives 2.8A as a worst case. Plus all the greebly bells and whistles (motor and lights), but I can't imagine that will even make it to 500mA total. So I shouldn't ever come near the 4.2A limit.

Unless I've missed something?No, I think that sounds very reasonable. In fact, it's funny... I'm having someone design a saber for me right now, and... we've been considering the same idea--moving from 7.4v to 11.1v if possible. All depends. :)

But yeah, sounds to *ME* as though you crunched the numbers quite well, and... even IF you start to "push" toward the amp draw limit... you'd still be quite a bit under.

Besides... remember:

* The main Luxeon is *RARELY* "always on" (unless you set it to be static)
* The indicator LEDs are rarely ALL "always on" (unelss you set them to be so)
* The sound will draw a lot, but... it ALSO varies in its draw

In other words--if we all pretend that EVERYTHING is MAXXED OUT 100% of the time... and we *STILL* don't climb up to the 4.2A max draw...

...well, I don't see what the problem would be until the battery life starts to get into the lower 25% of the pack's charge.

But even THEN... well... duh: it just means some component won't work right, or light will be dimmed, etc.

Clockwork
05-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Quick post to say I got my V4 this morning, Thanks Erv. Will post pics when I get it installed

Novastar
05-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Ah, which reminds me... MORE VIDEOS of CF, please folks.

Let myself, Harry, Edwin, Madcow and X-wing... *NOT* be the sole CF video posters. Yes Erv is a given... DUH.

I mean, yeah, I know I missed a lot of folks who have their CFs out there... but... you get the point. There are like... what... probably 500 CF owners out there in the world???

SHOW YERSELVES, YA VORACIOUS VERNACULAR VOCIFEROUS VARMINTS!!!!

;)

Oh btw... MORE video tutorials are being made for the CF sound compendium. It's gonna kick arse. Verily.

Sohryu76
05-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Once i get mine...
YES...
but I am still waiting for mine!

Let myself, Harry, Edwin, Madcow and X-wing... *NOT* be the sole CF video posters. Yes Erv is a given... DUH.

I mean, yeah, I know I missed a lot of folks who have their CFs out there... but... you get the point. There are like... what... probably 500 CF owners out there in the world???

;)

Oh btw... MORE video tutorials are being made for the CF sound compendium. It's gonna kick arse. Verily.

xwingband
05-01-2008, 06:00 PM

;)

Probably more like 200-250. Before the V3 I'd say those (and Neophyl) had a good portion of them.

I post a video of just about every one I use. :)

jpbeck
05-01-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm getting my Do Clo Kit Fisto saber with CF 3 in it this Wednesday so Thursday I'm taking off to play and figure out how to post a video of it and all it's glory. :)

Is there are a free editing program that is out there that anyone can recommend?

Thanks

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
05-01-2008, 09:32 PM
I'll be posting a video of mine when I get it. If for no other reason than to show it off to my non-saber friends who don't understand what I'm so excited about.

Count Malik
05-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Not off the top of the head. You could try to google search it or go to ask.com and see. Hope this helps.:razz:

jpbeck
05-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Wow-- google -- what a novel idea! Thanks.

Hasid Lafre
05-02-2008, 01:05 AM
So erv any news on the speakers for the v4s that went out?

Samel_lowery@yahoo.com
05-02-2008, 03:23 AM
You put them out now? I'm going to be sick!!:confused:I knew I shouldn't have bought that Yoda FX. Well I guess it will have to be better luck next time and thanks for the info on preorders.

Samel_lowery@yahoo.com
05-02-2008, 06:03 AM
and at 7:59 am central time us/canada they are gone not bad only took like three hours would have got one but bills are more important. Damn the need for power and water!!:roll:

BlackDOG
05-02-2008, 06:40 AM
I'll have a video up whenmy CF get here....I emailed erv' this morning wondering what the ETA on the arrival of ALREADY FILLED ORDERS might be. This is not the ones due at the end of May.

I am posting this to hopefully avoid erv' getting 71 emails of "where-the-bantha-poodoo" is my CF?

Erv related that he had noticed a delivery time of about three weeks to the US...he belives gas prices have something to do with this......any how we are probably two weeks from delivery of the April 19 boards.....

tick...tick....tick...tick...tick...tick....

bd

Samel_lowery@yahoo.com
05-02-2008, 07:26 AM
I wasen't talking about the ones from april but the 8 he just sold today sorry about any confusion.:confused: I was just checking my email when I got his newsletter. I immediately went to his site and figured I would watch and see how long it took to sell them.:rolleyes:

Hasid Lafre
05-02-2008, 07:33 AM
My brother already has his v4s so I dont see why others wouldent have theres already.

TimeRender
05-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Gone? There were 8 posted on his store just now. Well, 7 after I left... Glee!

Samel_lowery@yahoo.com
05-02-2008, 09:12 AM
He's put more in there I bet because no one knows about it yet so its not selling out at lighting fast speed so he's not going into the negatives. Just my theroy.:roll:

jpbeck
05-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Order #648

Thank you Erv! This is my last one I swear! :rolleyes:

Malaki Skywalker
05-02-2008, 10:07 AM
I hope to God I catch at least 1 of these :sad: If anyone can grab one for me, I have the cash in hand

erv
05-02-2008, 01:29 PM
just to anwser the question above from Hasid : the speakers that were missing for the V3 were shipped like 2 weeks ago.

On another note about the shipping time to the US (and the rest of the world) : I suspect the USD value change to affect the petrol / gas / kerosene price around the world so shipping compagnies are probably taking their sweet time to fill each plane before flying far far far away. This explains why, currently, it took like 3 weeks for some packages to reach Florida. More or less 2 weeks to NY.

but hopefully, all packages will reach their destination.

For the next batch (june / summer / I don't know when exactly), it will be a preorder. First so that It's easier for me to target exactly how many boards are ordered and for fnding the heavy price of all the parts.
Basically people will order via the website as usual but the board won't be made when they will order (definition of the pre order). Pre order slots will be put online by series of mini batches to keep the website running normally. Thanks to Hasid for suggesting the method. A bit of entropy will help ensuring there isn't a mad dash in 4 minutes, cause it's stressing every one.
A total of 100 boards (more or less) will be made but I can't guaranty when I'll ship them, probably by the end of the summer. As you know I'll move in June and I'll have a lot of work in the new house, so my workshop and bench won't be functionnal before a while.

I've started some videos of FAQ to Erv' Plecter on youtube, for those who are interested.

Have a nice week end,
Erv'

Erv'

jpbeck
05-02-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm a little confused-- I ordered one this morning, May 2--- Is that one of the ones that will be shipped at the end of summer?

Order #648

Also what did you mean in the news letter:

Dear Customers,

With the crazy madness of the last sale in april, I have only 24 boards left. I'm putting them online little by little, starting from now. I'm trying this "mini batch" sales to avoid being too much in negative at the end. Please note that the boards are not totally finished yet but should ship by the end of may.
Also, this time, I'm not giving you an appointment for the sale, to have a little bit more entropy instead of 300 hungry saber maker getting to the website at the same time.
The next batch will use "pre ordering". If the "mini batch" method works fine this time, I'll use it for the the pre ordering process thru the website : meaning that pre order lot of 10 boards will be put online at regular time interval until the end of stock, to spead the sale.

Erv'

So I guess what I'm wanting clarification on is:
1) The order that I placed today (#648) is that part of the 24 boards left
2) what did you mean by "I'm not giving you an appointment for the sale"

No worries for me on this end. Just a little befuddled- lost in translation or thick headedness on my part.

Have a good weekend.

SpectreT65
05-02-2008, 07:14 PM
I can't speak for the man, but this is how I interpret #2 (Erv' can correct me if I'm wrong)

He's not publishing the exact date/time that these offers will trickle onto his shop, because he got absolutely clobbered when he let us all know exactly when, last time. While it's impressive, <four minutes to more than sell out of a batch is a little crazy. Stressful for us, the sabersmiths, stressful for his shopping cart software, stressful for the man himself, as I'm sure he's well aware just how much we resemble a pack of ravenous wolves when just a whiff of the Buttered Toast is in the air.

erv
05-03-2008, 12:31 AM
this is correct. jpbeck, what you got this morning is part of the remaining 24 of may batch, which was supposed to be 50 but I used it to fill my negative stock (april fury blablabla).
You'll get those 2 shipped by the end of this month.
Then the other part of the newsletter (sorry to be unclear) is about the next batch of the summer.
By "not giving an appointment" (I was about to say that I won't be dating customers anymore, but this is a bad translation from french :mrgreen: ), like spectre said, it's to give more chance to people finally. I mean that I won't announce earlier the date & time when I'll put the board for sale (this is what I call an appointment). I will put them online, send the newsletter and that it.
2 additionnal points :
- I'll continue to have the boards put online at a "international compliant" time
- The mini batch system worked well, I'm then sticking to that. I put like 10 of 15 boards at a time, then check if I don't go negative at the end of the mini batch, and then put another 15 online and so on. Spread on several hours, that should be fine.

Erv'

Hasid Lafre
05-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Well I wasent speaking of the v3s but the v4s. my bro dident get speakers with them, just wondering if there was a back order on the speakers for this version.

erv
05-03-2008, 01:11 AM
that's probably my mistake then,
just make sure it wasn't burried in the newspaper stuffing. Asking to go back to me by email so that we can arrange something
Erv'

Malaki Skywalker
05-03-2008, 03:25 AM
I'm confused :confused: did all the mini batchs sell?

erv
05-03-2008, 04:46 AM
yes, I had only 24 to sell as explained in the newsletter, and above. I spread 2 batches of 10 then 4 boards, over roughtly 5 hours or so. It actually gave a chance to some EU customer to get a board, I'm quite happy about that, since I'm following my idea of "being fair".
Those mini batches were put online just after I sent the newsletter mentionned above.

Future batch with preorders (aka you buy but boards aren't built yey) : 100 boards, I plan to open the pre-orders in early june, after I finish shipping the ones I'm working on.
Pre orders : I thought about it and I just can't handle it "manually". I mean, most of the people making little runs of hardware or hilt or whatever generally make like 1 or 2 runs a year. Like people from the R2D2 builders club, or guys making voice amps + fx. So, they handle like 50 or 100 orders a years, that's 8 order per month more or less. In this case you can handle manually emailing people, confirming they are on the list, they can proceed to payment and so on. Can't do that on my side. Going like I'm going, I'll probably build 500 a year or get it manufactured. I just can't handle the communication with customers manually : ordering or preordering will be thru the website, over different time slices and mini batches until I'm done with all the slots.
I think it's the best method and it makes my life easier with emails and stuff... and it should save people with a crazy mad dash like the 2 previous sales.

So basically, you hear about pre orders (newsletter, forum), you go to the website and oh, no stock. You wait a bit, look to the website from times to times and finally get one. It's called a statistical delay that helps entropy to self organise. That's how the radio bandwidth is shared with WIFI wireless internet and it's been basically taken from human beings, animals and insect behavior. No reason it wouldn't work for crystal focus.
If you are interested about "self organising", I'd recommend you to google about the famous "game of life"
http://www.bitstorm.org/gameoflife/
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway's_Game_of_Life

A variation of that is also called the "sheeps and the wolves", an evolution based automaton using simple rules about how wolves eat sheeps and how sheeps reproduces. Nice screen savers have been made with that (no featuring any sheep *** scenes, fortunatly for you)

Erv' - specialist in technical poetry

Malaki Skywalker
05-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Ah nuts, hopefully I'll have better luck next time...

jpbeck
05-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the clarification Erv-- you-da-man!

Enjoy what's left of the weekend.
JP

hullbreach
05-03-2008, 08:42 PM
You wait a bit, look to the website from times to times and finally get one. It's called a statistical delay that helps entropy to self organise.
Erv' - specialist in technical poetry

Such an optimist :mrgreen: seriously tho, the new sales plan sounds much improved and very good. Looking forward to June!

Jeescook
05-05-2008, 05:09 AM
Hey Erv, i just want to know have you sold the 24 you had left over or will I have to wait till June for the pre-order. I'm not trying to sound whiny but I just want a CF 4 and missed your last newsletter on the 2nd. When will be my next chance to buy a CF?
Thanks

erv
05-05-2008, 07:11 AM
yes, they sold out in several hours, I put mini batches online from times to times.
You'll have to wait june (date is uncertain) for the preorders of the next batch

Erv'

xwingband
05-05-2008, 09:15 AM
I just got my boards. They actually arrived at home last Monday, but I was uncertain of the speed they'd get here and with moving it was safer to send them home.

I slid it into my Parks Qui-gon... and it fit with room to spare! I can't wait to use it. :)

Count Malik
05-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Sorry if this has been answered:rolleyes:,Erv'- but what about thoughs of us who ordered in the first batch back in April who bought a CF v4.0. But right after we already bought our boards and stuff you went into the negatives. And you said you would get our boards out of the next bach and send them out when the batch was done?:confused:

DarthFender
05-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Sorry if this has been answered:rolleyes:,Erv'- but what about thoughs of us who ordered in the first batch back in April who bought a CF v4.0. But right after we already bought our boards and stuff you went into the negatives. And you said you would get our boards out of the next bach and send them out when the batch was done?:confused:

This has been answered. Erv, sold and shipped 50 in the last batch. That batch oversold by 26. That is why the current batch only sold 24. It was originally supposed to be 50. Those who paid for their CF in the last batch (the 26) will get them shipped with this batch about the end of May.

erv
05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
thanks fender, that's exactly that. I thought it was clear in the newsletter. I've already sent 50 of the first bath until order #610, then I have 50 boards to finish to assemble, 26 meant to be shipped to april customers, and 24 to the most recent customers.

xwing, glad to hear that you got the boards ! and also that reducing the size really help... in a qui gon ? whoa... I want to see that !
Erv'

Hasid Lafre
05-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah it fits really well in a parks quigonn, I was actually really supprized how much wiggle room there is.

Count Malik
05-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah it fits really well in a parks quigonn, I was actually really supprized how much wiggle room there is.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.:p Another thing(sorry to get a tad bit off topic.) where and how much are you guys getting the qui-gon parks?

vortextwist
05-06-2008, 05:09 PM
sometimes ebay sometimes people on other boards that is selling theirs. Y you wanna buy one? lol

Count Malik
05-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Kinda. LOL! because it is a good design, but if I couldn't buy one I want one machined.:mrgreen:

vortextwist
05-06-2008, 05:28 PM
I hear ya, they go between 2 and 3 hundred

Count Malik
05-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Wow:shock:

erv
05-08-2008, 11:37 PM
litlle note about a problem some of you have encoutered with the last batch of CF (april) : I believe I got a bad serie of microcontrollers for SOME of those.
Symptoms : despite of correct connections, activation pad does not respond. Saber does not power off, and if switch parameter set to 1 or 2, it won't power on.

Reason : activation pad goes to the CPU input that seems to be defective on a bunch of boards (it's *inside* the CPU). I got the problem before, but never on several boards of the same batch. For some unknown reason, I can't be aware of that problem before shipping the board : I test it on my "fakir chair" and I cycle the board on and off, play with the aux button and all that with the luxeon on, just like a normal use.

For now I consider it's bad luck, if this happends for the batch I'm about to ship, I'll really have to figure out. I'm pretty confident cause the CPUs are from another batch

In case you have this problem, please contact my by email (no PM)
Sorry about that,
Erv'

Count Malik
05-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up Erv'!:)

erv
05-09-2008, 08:32 AM
I've double checked the ones I'm about to ship, giving them a "hard time", abrut power on and cycling the blade on off several time.
Hope it's just a board here and there with the problem mentionned above. I'm not really confident about the firmware and hardware design. I mean, move to 3.0 to 4.0 is 99.9% the micro sd and really minor adds to the firmware, nothing that can physically harm an I/O on the board

SWAT Strachan
05-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Erv just a quick question: According to the CF4 board, it can handle a maximum input of 11v DC. Now I'm thinking about making a 9 cell 2800mAh AA pack, which should equate to 10.8v, but I've been told that on a full charge the pack will be giving out just over 12v, will the CF4 be able to handle this or should I play safe and make an 8 cell 9.6v pack instead?

I don't really want to end up with a slice of buttered toast that I could melt cheese on :(.

Novastar
05-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Just to help, I might as well say that I've asked Erv about doing something similar with a 10.8v (11.1v) Li-Ion setup. He seemed to think it was just fine (although it's good to double-check here as we're doing), especially because it would not be at 11v for very long.

You could also use some kind of diode or regulator that only allows a "hard" 11v to pass through from the pack. You wouldn't be losing/wasting much juice/power at all... or none if you were savvy...

Finally, it is good to note to EVERYone out there that *IF* you are planning to run 11.1v or whatever with CF... you should be using an LED that requires a pretty decent fwd voltage. In other words--it is *NOT* really ideal to throw 11.1v at CF that is driving an LED which wants 2.95vF for example (such as a Lux III red). In that case, it would be better to wire for more mah (current) over the voltage.

However... if you're using a Lux V or maybe a Rebel RGB (~9v forward)... now THAT is a good idea to give it 10v or a bit more. :)

Sohryu76
05-13-2008, 08:15 PM
My brother already has his v4s so I dont see why others wouldent have theres already.

Hasid where does your brother live?
I havent gotten mine quite yet...
I live in Pennsylvania, USA

xwingband
05-13-2008, 08:23 PM
They may simply be the second batch. I got mine about two weeks ago.

Sohryu76
05-14-2008, 06:54 AM
They may simply be the second batch. I got mine about two weeks ago.

hmmm... Erv didnt say anything about mine being in the second batch... and i got the shipment notification a day or two later...
weird. no worries... I'm sure it will get here, I just hate waiting!

I still know it'll be worth it!

Jak'Kan-Ur
05-14-2008, 07:30 AM
hope you get one bro!

Sohryu76
05-14-2008, 08:19 AM
hope you get one bro!

thanks!
i got one...
just hasnt shown up in my mail box yet!

eastern57
05-14-2008, 09:27 AM
be careful when you take it out of the package, do be too excited... if you drop it - it will shatter like Jeff Daniels' career after dumb and dumber...

Actually, no, they're very hearty. On Sunday, I was fixing my recharge port and I guess it grounded against the side - plumes of smoke start pouring out! I felt like a fireman... started cuttin every wire I could... they were almost all melted... turned out the board was fine... no problems... I thought I fried something for sure - nothing, still perfect!

Sohryu76
05-14-2008, 11:06 AM
you have a v3 or something, right? not a v4?

be careful when you take it out of the package, do be too excited... if you drop it - it will shatter like Jeff Daniels' career after dumb and dumber...

Actually, no, they're very hearty. On Sunday, I was fixing my recharge port and I guess it grounded against the side - plumes of smoke start pouring out! I felt like a fireman... started cuttin every wire I could... they were almost all melted... turned out the board was fine... no problems... I thought I fried something for sure - nothing, still perfect!

eastern57
05-14-2008, 02:59 PM
that one was a v3, so yes. Haven't gotten v4 yet, but I was part of the later batch.

Count Malik
05-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Mines one the way!!!:cool::D actualy now its here. LOL!

BlackDOG
05-21-2008, 12:22 PM

At least you did not overheat the end of a li-ion battery trying to shrink oversized shrink tube and kick off a funky exothermic reaction and burn your hand not once but twice....

Stevegel
05-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Erv, got a question for you. Is it possible to be on a waiting list or pre buy? so some of us can get at least one of your C.F.

Thanks

Angelus Lupus
05-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Geez, how many times has he gotta answer this one? It's even in his FAQ as to why he doesn't do pre-orders.

erv
05-21-2008, 01:41 PM
I'll detail and answer that in the summer newsletter (be sure to subscribe when creating an account on the website).
In a nutshell :
- probably a set of "preorders' mini batch per mini batch thru the website. Aka just like ordering the normal product except that I don't have them in my hands, it's virtual. This around mid june.
- I'll do that cause some parts are hard to catch, I'm expecting some (motion sensor) to be there by the end of june, so I'll need to buy them quickly. I'll order for 100 or 120 boards, so the financial help of preordering will be welcomed
- I'm moving at the beginning of june and I'll be working a lot in the new house to create a new workshop space, I won't be operationnal immediatly. I expect to build the boards this summer and ship them around the end of AUGUST (I know, it sucks)

Erv'

Barmic Rin
05-21-2008, 01:54 PM
I would do anything for Crystal focus!!
But I won't do that.....

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200711/r197712_754430.jpg

Fingers crossed, i'll be sorted by August, so put me down for one Erv.

eastern57
05-21-2008, 05:53 PM
oh... shame on you...

vortextwist
05-22-2008, 02:19 PM
man!! now I got the t Mobil commercial in my head! :(

Hasid Lafre
05-22-2008, 02:22 PM
That commercial creaps me out.

SpectreT65
05-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Barmic... That was just... Oh, man, that was funny.

Dandura
05-25-2008, 11:49 PM
MEATLOAF! lol thats funny stuff man. Good luck on moving Erv hope it goes well, and I can't wait until the boards are re-stocked, this time i'll get one for sure...may the force be with you.

DarthFender
05-26-2008, 06:04 AM
Not Meatloaf again!

Randy: Meatloaf Meatloaf, double beat loaf. I hate Meatloaf.

eastern57
05-26-2008, 10:12 AM
"There are starving people in China..."

DarthFender
05-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Mom: [Hears Crying from inside the cabinets]Randy? What are you doing under there?
Randy: Daddy's gonna kill Ralphie!
Mom: Daddy's not gonna kill Ralphie.
Randy: Yes he is! (boo hoo)

BlackDOG
05-28-2008, 05:50 AM
Fender....don't just stand there....get the poor kid a glass of milk and shut him back up in the cabinet..

DarthFender
05-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Not just Milk, warm milk. Yuck!!!!

Darth Leximus
05-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Just signed up for that newsletter, I will definately be pre ordering as soon as you make that option available. I currently have 3 sabers and only one has sound (if you can call hasbro sound sound) My wife had given me strict orders not to ever buy a CF (price being the factor) then I showed her the youtube vids...end of story...her next words were "We need to get a couple of those!" She was definately floored by the capabilities of CF. So here we are anxiously awaiting more boards.

PS I feel your pain on the move Erv, I've been working on and moving into a new house for 3 mos now and I still don't have my saber shop up and running yet!

erv
06-05-2008, 06:29 AM
bad news guys. Building the next batch of CF is postponed.
I called the compagny for the motion sensor and the delay of "end of june" has been moved to september.
I can't accept pre orders with such a delay, that why I called the compagny. If the delay has been maintained to what it was (last week of june) I would have opened the preorder as scheduled, mid june.
It sounds like I'll pass the summer working only in my house for modding it, create the new workshop and then be ready to start over in september.

Sorry guys, no my fault, I even ordered the PCBs and I have 130 naked ones on my tables, but parts are missing to populate them.

Erv'

Voice
06-05-2008, 06:42 AM
Can we just call 'dibs', and start mailing you checks $20 at a time until we've paid for one or pre-orders are open (whichever comes first)?

erv
06-05-2008, 06:58 AM
like I've explained several time I CAN'T handle things this way. That works for a punctual set of preorder with 20 persons, not for 100 or more. I have other things to do to manually count $$$ and email back each customer with a "you're in!"
No preorders until I can make sure I'll get the required part. I'm not willing to make customers waiting for months with their money gone and nothing happening. That's my vision of ethic.

looking around, some sort of good news : the part I'm looking for is now again available directly from the manufacturer, like it was for the previous version, until version 2.63 of the board. Bad news is that it's delayed there too... until december, so I'm gladly keeping the deadline proposed by the other manufacturer.
Another possible sad news is that my parts provider is probably going to remove some of his volume discount soon. CF price might increase of 10%.
Wait and see, too early to decide anything right now

Shadeslinger
06-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Sorry guys, no my fault, I even ordered the PCBs and I have 130 naked ones on my tables, but parts are missing to populate them.

Erv'

Heh heh, that's what you call "dry toast". :D

Voice
06-05-2008, 08:22 AM
like I've explained several time I CAN'T handle things this way. That works for a punctual set of preorder with 20 persons, not for 100 or more. I have other things to do to manually count $$$ and email back each customer with a "you're in!"
No preorders until I can make sure I'll get the required part. I'm not willing to make customers waiting for months with their money gone and nothing happening. That's my vision of ethic.

Oops. Sorry, I missed the smiley at the end of my post. :oops:

Believe me, I understand that dealing with 1 order at a time would be an absolute nightmare of logistics. I was just joking around.

erv
06-05-2008, 10:27 AM
got you(r) Voice, missing smiley, I missed the second degree humor, that I actually appreciate very much,
+ lol at the DRY toast !
Sounds like there's a Jam Traffic :rolleyes: :lol:

Erv'

Malaki Skywalker
06-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Wouldn't it just be Bread if its dry toast? LOL

erv
06-05-2008, 11:20 AM
no, it's dry toast, in the pure tradition of double negative english words, like half-duplex (which should be called "simplex") ;-)

Darth Leximus
06-05-2008, 11:29 AM
nope...
Bread = bread

Toast = toasted bread

hope this helps..LOL

Malaki Skywalker
06-05-2008, 11:43 AM
nope...
Bread = bread

Toast = toasted bread

hope this helps..LOL

LOL, this is making me hungry!

Shadeslinger
06-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Wouldn't it just be Bread if its dry toast? LOL

Obviously you've never seen The Blues Brothers movie. :D

"What'd they order?"

"This one guy want two pieces of toast...dry...nothing on it, and the other one wants four whole fried chickens"

"Jake and Elwood!"

[paraphrase]