PDA

View Full Version : Orbital Machining

Darth Relin
03-11-2008, 05:49 PM
anyone one get any of there hilts made by theses guys besides the Amazing Killer Penny. there working on a 3d rendering for me i just wonderd if any one else has had there stuff made by them? and thanks for X-wings web site recomending them to me.

xwingband
03-11-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm sure a few have but this is Tim's (TCSS owner) site so we generally don't talk about where else we shop. ;)

Darth Relin
03-11-2008, 06:23 PM
o sorry. i was just wonderin if anyone had any picks.

BhujangiJedi
03-11-2008, 07:40 PM
TCSS offerings increase in value the more you can do with them, so refraining from discussing saber-related products & services just because they're offered by some other company/person probably does Tim more of a disservice than help.

I know I'm pretty new to TCSS and don't know Tim personally, but from what I can tell he's a saber enthusiast doing what he can to support the DIY saber community and run a business. None of the posts I have seen discouraging discussion of other saber resources have been by Tim himself - is he in fact opposed to it?

In the case of Orbital Machining - I know Tim will do custom work, but does he even offer the services Orbital does?

I think that ultimately this forum stands a better chance to be the resource for not only DIY saber construction, but also custom orders and minor mods if the discussion is completely open, honest, and informative, without any (self) censorship of competing products. And the more authoritative a source this forum is, the wider exposure it gets, and ultimately the more customers Tim gets.

So let's all share whatever info we have to help people bring their glowy fantasies into reality. :)

xwingband
03-11-2008, 08:56 PM
I understand... it's just a fuzzy line. No one has a problem discussing sabers not built with TCSS parts. I guess the line is "soliciting"?

Tim even has recommended Ace when he can't or doesn't want to try a job.

If it's just pics... sure, why not. I doubt anyone has any besides Acerocket himself though.

Just playing devil's advocate, because it sometimes feels like a person walking into a Ford dealership asking for a Honda or something equal to that.

Lord Maul
03-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Ace did some sanding on my MHS...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_1138.jpg

Top notch work and great communication.

BhujangiJedi
03-11-2008, 10:35 PM
I have no idea of the details of how well business is for Tim, and it seems like he's serving kind of a small market, so I certainly feel some sympathy and want to support him as much as possible. I am very grateful that he provides what he does - I'd have nowhere to go if not for TCSS!

That being said, I really do feel like this forum is a huge asset for TCSS - I wouldn't even know what to do with TCSS parts if not for the forum. And I think this forum will be the best it can be when all available options for sabersmithing are discussed and any helpful information for each person realizing their particular design is shared.

If I feel like I have any advice to offer, I suggest how TCSS parts could be used (which is usually easiest/cheapest anyway) or whatever other parts I'm aware of that could be used to most effectively help the person achieve their goal. I don't think it's being disrespectful until a person starts hawking their own stuff, or recommending another place to buy identical items to what Tim sells.

Darth Relin
03-12-2008, 09:11 AM
is Erik Hertzberg the ACE guy your talking about?

Lord Maul
03-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Yes. Acerocket is Erik who owns Orbital Machining.

acerocket
03-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Yes. Acerocket is Erik who owns Orbital Machining.

Yes, sadly 'tis the truth. Acerocket is me and I do own Orbital Machining.

acerocket
03-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Hey Maul! I've been working on a big project for a while and I sure could use a DP since you are asking.:p

xwingband
03-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Hey Maul! I've been working on a big project for a while and I sure could use a DP since you are asking.:p

Ooo... I hope this possibly the one I'm thinking of. People will be thrilled if it is.

Lord Maul
03-12-2008, 07:49 PM

You'll have it in approximately 10 years, give or take a few years.

ArkaiHalon
03-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Ooo... I hope this possibly the one I'm thinking of. People will be thrilled if it is.

don't leave us in suspense. Tell us...please

acerocket
03-12-2008, 07:59 PM
You'll have it in approximately 10 years, give or take a few years.

I've got time. I'll still be thirsty in ten years.

Xwing - if I am working on the thing you think I working on, then yes, I am working on it and maybe people will be thrilled if I do think so.

Darth Relin
03-12-2008, 08:42 PM
i started a topic that pepole are looking at. sweet. :D

Darth Relin
03-12-2008, 08:48 PM
and i didint realize ACE is Erik. thats badass taht the owner of the company is working on my design. sorry iam just really happy. been thinking of this design for 2 years now just happy to start makin it come to life :D

acerocket
03-12-2008, 09:08 PM
don't leave us in suspense. Tell us...please

Shhhhhhh. It's a secret and I don't want to say anything until it's finished. Have patience.

ArkaiHalon
03-13-2008, 05:25 AM
Shhhhhhh. It's a secret and I don't want to say anything until it's finished. Have patience.

What if I promise not to tell?:confused:

xwingband
03-13-2008, 05:52 AM
and i didint realize ACE is Erik. thats badass taht the owner of the company is working on my design. sorry iam just really happy. been thinking of this design for 2 years now just happy to start makin it come to life :D

lol, other than the wife probably doing the occasional package shipping all these "companies" are "one man bands".

Hasid Lafre
03-13-2008, 06:02 AM
And where would we be without them?

Strydur
03-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Erik is great...I send a lot of custom work his way as I just dont have the time. If you want custom machining done to MHS parts I can find time to do that. If you want a whole saber built from scratch..contact Erik or one of the other fine sabersmiths that frequent the forums.

Corbin_Das
08-01-2013, 04:19 PM
I agree with Tim.

Then again, I might be a little biased, having the Killer Penny and all. LOL

GFJedi
08-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Nearly 5 1/2 years on a necro-post... This must be some sort of record. :)

Ty_Bomber
08-01-2013, 06:52 PM
If anyone is allowed, it's Corbin Das.