PDA

View Full Version : Which should I do?

Nightwing
02-12-2006, 09:28 PM
I want to build an LED lightsaber, but I'm not sure exactly what I want to do.
I can either convert an Anakin MR (2005) saber, or I can make my own design, here: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=427

I have literally no experience with tools or electronics, but I learn fast, and I have all the tools I need. So what should I do?

xwingband
02-12-2006, 09:34 PM
I'd go for the custom. Yours wouldn't be hard to cut out with a dremel, hack saw or a band saw. Do not fret about the electronics either. Soldering is easy.[:D]

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Usernames suck
02-12-2006, 09:34 PM
The only things I have done is conversions on MR sabers and I think it is easier to do than build a saber but building a saber would give you more satisfaction in your work. Just my opinion though.

The opression of the Sith will never return, you have lost - mace windu

Nightwing
02-12-2006, 09:42 PM
All I'm really worries about is drilling and stuff like that.

Protein5000
02-12-2006, 10:12 PM
It's easy - just make sure you practice a bit on junk materials and off cuts. Get familiar with the drill and tap a few holes - make sure you lube it though!!

I have made my own saber and it IS very satisfying - but I think conversions are more my cup of tea. But you have to at least make one of you own I reckon.

Less talk, more action........

Nightwing
02-12-2006, 10:17 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Protein5000

It's easy - just make sure you practice a bit on junk materials and off cuts. Get familiar with the drill and tap a few holes - make sure you lube it though!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Okay...
Remember, I have NO EXPERIENCE with this stuff, so I'm not even really sure how to do it.
Does anyone know of some really detailed instructions on how to do this kind of stuff? I mean, more specific than "drill and tap the hole"; I need to know how to drill and tap first.

Madcow
02-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Dude,
I hate to sound like an echo, but the guys are right. You learn best by just doing it. Practice on stuff.

I reccomend:
1. Going to yard sales - used drills, bits, taps, and other tools can be found at rediculous prices.
2. Find an old guy! Do you have a grandfather or uncle, or neighbor? Old guys love it when somebody asks for help with tools (we'll most old guys do).

Good Luck,

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

Nightwing
02-12-2006, 11:05 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Madcow

Dude,
I hate to sound like an echo, but the guys are right. You learn best by just doing it. Practice on stuff.

I reccomend:
1. Going to yard sales - used drills, bits, taps, and other tools can be found at rediculous prices.
2. Find an old guy! Do you have a grandfather or uncle, or neighbor? Old guys love it when somebody asks for help with tools (we'll most old guys do).

Good Luck,

MC<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Cool; I'll try that.
I believe I have all the drill bits and stuff I need. I think I know someone who can help.

LAN-ED-TUL
02-12-2006, 11:25 PM
remember to use somee oil when using the tap and every turn or so back it up then proceed forward otr youll clog up and snap the tap off.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...