PDA

View Full Version : K2 Led Question

thornwolf
03-11-2008, 06:47 AM
I know nothing about Leds

With that out of the way, I am still debating going with a Lux III or a K2 setup for my first saber.

I understand the K2 is brighter than the Lux III but how does a Royal Blue or Green K2 stand up to their equivalents in Lux V?

Also I have Red that red K2s are not a good choice, instead the red is best with the LUX III, is this true from your experience?

Finally, am I correct to assume that the pattern on the LED is Lambertian?

Thanks!

xwingband
03-11-2008, 11:38 AM
There is a noticable step between each: III, K2 and V. The Red color family is the exception though. They are much higher wattage and output.

The Red K2 is an oddball... until recently I didn't realize the output had jumped to 1500mA liek the other K2's. I always saw 700mA and a puny output. So assuming a simple linear doubling of lumens the K2 and III Red should be really close and probably identical to the eye. The only difference I see is the voltage is a hair lower on the III... which is nothing to discount.

Count Malik
03-11-2008, 05:48 PM
one thing you should know is K2s are kinda hard to solder.

Hasid Lafre
03-11-2008, 06:37 PM
I asked in the wish list if we could get leds with a small length of wire pre soldered to the led but noone liked the idea.

BhujangiJedi
03-11-2008, 07:45 PM
K2s are easy - easier than IIIs!

You just have to know how to cheat:
Don't try to solder to that stinky anti-solder pad on the K2 star.
Wrap your lead around the "leg" (bit of exposed wire connecting the LED to the star) and solder your lead back to itself.

xwingband
03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Or get a better iron... I admit that it's a pain to resolder but if I do the first joint fine it's okay.