PDA

View Full Version : Don't post in the gallery threads!!!

Lord Maul
03-08-2008, 11:36 AM
This has gotten terrible lately. Xwing isn't a Mod anymore so he can't clean them out either.

Reminder to all: Don't post in a stickied gallery thread UNLESS you've got pictures. If you have a question about a saber, make a new thread for it.

Malaki Skywalker
03-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Xwing isn't a Mod anymore so he can't clean them out either.

Really? who are the Mods ATM then?

Lord Maul
03-08-2008, 03:56 PM
There are none.

We've got 2 Admins, Tim and Sabergirl, but the latter is very rarely online.

xwingband
03-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Really? who are the Mods ATM then?

Since the vbulliten switch I haven't been a mod. I don't know if Tim forgot or what, but honestly I don't care. I see the gallery posts and want to call the people all kinds of unsightly things for simply not paying attention.

Not my mess...

xl97
03-08-2008, 10:24 PM
a simple PM to some of these people could do alot more good than just complaining... ;)

I know I for one did it. (actually just forgot I was in the gallery section.)

I can tell ya one thing.... things are handled very poorly around here with attitude and respect toward other (especially new) members..

simple mistake that was easily corrected.. (sue me) :-|

TimeRender
03-08-2008, 10:33 PM
It's not always handled as well as it could be, but in the end it is the responsibility of the user to read the forum rules. The rules threads are buried in a list of about a dozen other stickies though, so I propose we create a general rules thread and move it to the top page in a most conspicuous spot. It's been a while since I joined and I don't remember any more, but perhaps a link to the rules could be included on the registration page along with a mandatory check box. At least then when users break the forum rules we can beat them guiltlessly with our lightsabers... metaphorically of course.

Lord Maul
03-08-2008, 10:38 PM
That could work timerender. I'd be up for helping out creating that.

It could be stickied in the Welcome to the Forum board.

The nicest was having a Mod like Xwing who could just delete the posts that were in gallery threads. A tedious job but it was a huge help.

TimeRender
03-08-2008, 10:43 PM
I was thinking something even more conspicuous than that, like it's own forum. That way it would be right at the top of the list on the front page. The next best thing would be a sticky in the "Welcome" forum.

xl97
03-08-2008, 10:43 PM
With any new forum..comes a 'learning curve' of where things are located.. where stickys are..where the search is..etc..etc..

If you can post a thread calling them names, complaining, flaming them..etc..etc..

You could just as easy post al ink to the rules.. or hell skip the post COMPLETELY..saving yourself much time..

and the bottom line is..accidents happen.

I had MANY 'tabs' open..from searches..and reading.. and happened to forget what thread I was in... (big deal)..

it was an easy mistake to fix.. however the tons of PM's and name calling and threats of this and that were a frickin' joke. The 'jedi attitude and community' in general severely lacking IMHO..

all the time put in telling people how dumb or wrong they are..could be spent structuring the forum better.. or teaching other how to be more productive memebers here..

Lord Maul
03-08-2008, 10:49 PM
The FAQ covers basically everything already. I think if we (me) found the old links again that would cover a lot of the questions.

TimeRender
03-08-2008, 10:50 PM
With any new forum..comes a 'learning curve' of where things are located.. where stickys are..where the search is..etc..etc..

If you can post a thread calling them names, complaining, flaming them..etc..etc..

You could just as easy post al ink to the rules.. or hell skip the post COMPLETELY..saving yourself much time..

and the bottom line is..accidents happen.

I had MANY 'tabs' open..from searches..and reading.. and happened to forget what thread I was in... (big deal)..

it was an easy mistake to fix.. however the tons of PM's and name calling and threats of this and that were a frickin' joke. The 'jedi attitude and community' in general severely lacking IMHO..

all the time put in telling people how dumb or wrong they are..could be spent structuring the forum better.. or teaching other how to be more productive memebers here..

Xl97, I don't think this thread was meant to single you out. This is a general problem that involves people who are new to the forum and those who have been here long enough to ought to know better. Also keep in mind that none of us knows how many PMs someone may have already received on an issue, and we can't post a reply to the mistake in the thread without committing the same mistake ourselves. That's why I think the best approach would simply be to make the rules more obvious so that fewer mistakes are made.

Darth Zecks
03-08-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Xwing, you really kept a clean forum. There goes the neighborhood.:razz:

xl97
03-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Xl97, I don't think this thread was meant to single you out. This is a general problem that involves people who are new to the forum and those who have been here long enough to ought to know better. Also keep in mind that none of us knows how many PMs someone may have already received on an issue, and we can't post a reply to the mistake in the thread without committing the same mistake ourselves. That's why I think the best approach would simply be to make the rules more obvious so that fewer mistakes are made.

totally agree.. and I was just giving MY personal experience on it to shed some light..

the reality of it is, no matter which you go.. only the MODS should be the 'police' around here..

along with a some 'patience'.. I mean this is a community of like minded people.. (some slower than others.. ;)..but still kindred of sorts)

Barmic Rin
03-10-2008, 02:02 PM
I think the message here is "Chill-ax y'all!"

We're all only human & do forget not to do stuff! (I'm just covering my own ass here!)

Lord Maul
03-10-2008, 02:35 PM
totally agree.. and I was just giving MY personal experience on it to shed some light..

the reality of it is, no matter which you go.. only the MODS should be the 'police' around here..

along with a some 'patience'.. I mean this is a community of like minded people.. (some slower than others.. ;)..but still kindred of sorts)

That's the problem. There are no Mods. The general members must step up and fill the void.

No disrespect meant to anyone by this thread, it was more of a general reminder.

xl97
03-10-2008, 03:08 PM
That's the problem. There are no Mods. The general members must step up and fill the void.

No disrespect meant to anyone by this thread, it was more of a general reminder.

none taken (at least on my part) ;)

but to a new member.. I got a TONS of PM's from a TONS of members.. some doing it nicely.. MOST trying to be intimidating...

I agree members being their brothers' keeper IS a must if a cumminty is large and going to survive... but everyone jumping on the bandwagon to 'trash/flame' someone is counter productive I would think. :)

I got the reminder.. and I'll try to keep aware of what threads I am in.. sometimes I have MANY windows/tabs open all form TCSS..search, images... links...

TimeRender
03-10-2008, 04:01 PM
but everyone jumping on the bandwagon to 'trash/flame' someone is counter productive I would think. :)

Try to understand that no one here on the forums has any idea how many people have "jumped on the bandwagon". We don't have any way of knowing how many private messages you have received about an issue. I'm not making excuses for those who may have been rude to you, but you cannot take offense at the shear volume of messages sent unless you are getting several from the same user.

Edit: To those of you who may have broken rules about posting in gallery threads, you may also consider deleting those posts. That would be a much better apology than anything you could say here.

xl97
03-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Try to understand that no one here on the forums has any idea how many people have "jumped on the bandwagon". We don't have any way of knowing how many private messages you have received about an issue. I'm not making excuses for those who may have been rude to you, but you cannot take offense at the shear volume of messages sent unless you are getting several from the same user.

Edit: To those of you who may have broken rules about posting in gallery threads, you may also consider deleting those posts. That would be a much better apology than anything you could say here.

and thats the problem with everyone taking the matter into their own hands... IMHO. Especially ones with attitude? Yes multiple form the same users.. (I doubt I could be the only one this has happened too).. and no your correct, 'you' would have no way of knowing how many PM's one has gotten, but to think your would be the ONLY one of this whole forum that needs to police seems a little.. I dont know 'off/extreme'?

and I did delete my post(s).. did I miss one? I left one it got another pic posted of more detail(s).. so is your comment aimed at removing that as well?

anyways.. its not about the past..its about hopefully ironing out a procedre/process where its doesnt continue.

the use of 'you' and other nouns are meant as a 'whole' (not you specifically) ;)

take care

Lord Maul
03-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Hell, I'd be willing to just be the one person who PMs people if they post in gallery threads. That would take multiple PM issue out of the picture.

Thoughts on that idea?

xl97
03-10-2008, 09:45 PM
awesome idea.. or a set of 'old vets' on ther forum.. that will sorta take on the 'un-official responsibilities' ya know?

leaves policing to those who have hung there hat here longer than most, not everyone gets involded putting in their 2 cents.. solves several areas right there.. ;)

TimeRender
03-10-2008, 10:01 PM
No, I still think a better idea would be for Tim to declare one or more new moderators.

xl97
03-10-2008, 10:04 PM
hahaha.. yeah or that! :P

987654321a
03-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Cough Cough.....Im Available..

Hehe. jk.

This issue is only because of the newer people on the forums that dont bother to read any crap. Its just a simple click of your mouse that will take you to the FAQ. Ill even add it to my signature.

TimeRender
03-11-2008, 12:16 AM
It's not JUST the newer people CD. Go look at the last pages of the galleries and you will see what I mean. I don't want to call out any names but... Some of them know better.

SaberGirl
03-11-2008, 09:03 AM
As you can imagine. Being Tim's wife is a full time job unto itself :) Add into that our 4 children (especially the newest little Padawan) and you are correct. I have not been online lately as much as I could/should be. I do apologize for that.
I try to rely on hoping people can mind their manners in general :) But we all make mistakes. Even the veterans could have a mind blank day and make an oops! It happens.

I'm willing to step it up a notch on moderation, but I definatly need a hand from anyone who has the time... At this point I dont think its neccessary for us to have mods. I just need to be alerted to the issues as they arise because I am unable to 'camp' the boards full time :)

Please PM me, or email me at tishygirl@comcast.net, or even IM me at tanenistormblades@hotmail.com if any issues arise and I will make sure it gets taken care of.

Barmic Rin
03-17-2008, 01:32 PM
It's not JUST the newer people CD. Go look at the last pages of the galleries and you will see what I mean. I don't want to call out any names but... Some of them know better.

I already apologised!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!

I see Sabergirl has my back! We all know I AM A BLANK DAY!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!