PDA

View Full Version : Quick Disconnect Standards

Atomic
03-06-2008, 09:14 AM
As I build my first MHS, I figured it might be good if I followed a standard for the quick disconnects (QD), so that if I buy other parts, or trade or anything. it's ready to go.

Looking at the tutorial, I did it a little differently, tho if everyone else is doing it the same, I will revert it.

I attached the female of the QD to the LED (same)
I used the black wire as black and the grey stripe as red (different)
I soldered my resistor inline with the QD so it stays with the specific LED (different)

So does anyone have any opinions on this? Is there a lean towards a standard, or does everyone pretty much do what works for them?

Thanks all!

xwingband
03-06-2008, 12:15 PM
As long as you are consistent it's all fine.

The resistor on the LED side is different, but as long as you keep it the same pack there's nothing to worry about.

Novastar
03-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Atomic... well, what you're saying is essentially a good standard practice. Much like RED wiring is usually associated with the "hot" or + lead. BLACK wiring for -, and all that.

Granted... you can do anything you like. But if you can create order over chaos... it's certainly better! Besides, makes it nice if others ever end up with a saber of your creation... and they someday mean to do a repair or re-wire. How much of a nutso Easter Egg would it be to find that Red is Black and Black is Red... it's like... WTF!!!!??! hahahah

Some exceptions that I myself will make... lean toward ease-of-use rather than "correct" wiring. For example... SOMEtimes, the quick-disconnects I use are those "9v snap head connectors". They do not HAVE to be used to attach to 9v batts nor battery packs... you can use them however you wish. However... connecting two of them effectively causes the red to switch with black. D'oh. D'OH!!!

BUT... do it in your OWN saber... for your own REASONS... and who cares. The sabers I've done this to... I've *NO* intentions of selling them. And in 5 years, they'll likely be old hat or entirely swapped out of the current electronics. ;)

So... I know I said a lot here, but... what you suggest is an EXCELLENT idea, as X also says... "consistency"! All within reason though.

Remember--you can use whatever you like as long as it WORKS.