PDA

View Full Version : Tubing hilt Question

chucksolo
03-06-2008, 12:30 AM
im a newb to the building saber scene.. I have done' a hardware store saber and now I want to try cutting my teeth on something new. I hope im doing this thread right?
I see people making sabers with this metal on/in metal look.. A tube inside a tube with the outer tube cut away exposing the inner tube? My question is what are the tube sizes??? I have 1.5 in pipe tube but I can't seem to find any other tube that fits snuggly inside it when I go to lowes or osh or home depot!.. what pipe will fit inside a 1.5 tube or a 1.25 tube? Do I use PVC with metal and paint it?? I have seen people with TCSS parts and plumbing tube on top of that.? what is the Diameter of TCSS MHS tubes? can someone point me in the right direction?
thanks

Hasid Lafre
03-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Mhs od is 1.45"

chucksolo
03-06-2008, 01:05 AM
all the mhs are 1.45? so will that fit in a 1.5 with little play or gap?
thanks
c

TimeRender
03-06-2008, 03:33 AM
No. There is no gap. The fit is quite snug.

Edit: Questions about hilt construction should go in the "General hilt building" thread. If you have questions about specific MHS parts post them in the "Modular hilt system" thread.

xl97
03-06-2008, 06:12 AM
he posted in the misc thread.. (geez)

anyways.. I have found is 'sorta' depends on the SINKTUBE you have.. as some fit very snugg on MHS parts..and some slide more loosely..

I have some the BL will slide fully through and some where the adaptor will not...

put a couple set screws should take any 'slack'...

you can also get some thin walled PVC that fit SNUG over not only the MHS parts..but aldo the 1.5 Sink Tube as well..

TimeRender
03-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Haha don't get me wrong, I'm not bothered by where he posted this question, I just know that many of us don't frequently read the misc thread and he will get better and faster responses if he learns where to post his questions. Worse was when he posted a related question in a gallery thread, but I already PMed him about that one.

Edit: Oh, and I just realized that YOU posted in the gallery thread as well... Shameful...

xl97
03-06-2008, 06:19 AM
Ahh.. I see. I took it as a 'problem' instead of you you trying to get him maximum exposure for his thread... (sorry)

(and I did the same gallery error)

as all forums (especially new ones) it takes time to learn the layout..the stickies..etc..etc.

TimeRender
03-06-2008, 06:20 AM
No worries!

chucksolo
03-07-2008, 11:28 PM
im new to the threads thing.. I will learn to put them in the proper area...thank you for the insite evryone

BlackDOG
03-10-2008, 06:20 AM
In my saber, I used a 1.5 inch sink tube with a 1.25 inch nested inside. Jay-Gon gave me the idea......using the poly washers sold along with the 1.25 tube, you can use them to space the two tubes inside one another. Basically the poly washes act as a bushing to hold them fast. You will need to tap some holes and add screws or whatnot to hold it all together.
Here is Jay-Gon's thread....see how the washers would fit?

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=3864

Tim makes (or made) a 1.25inch sink tube BLADE HOLDER....check the store. This item is WELL WORTH IT. Check the store.

Also read over the hilt building threads.........

Buy a blade holder, and led and blade (complete) here. Buy 2 sink tubes (1.5 and 1.25) and a couple of the poly washers in 1.25 size. You may mess one or two up trying to get tit to fit....PM me with any questions.

BD

BlackDOG
03-12-2008, 09:52 AM
I'll have to post a couple more pics...and I dont have them on this comp.........Basically, the 1.25 tube fits insod ethe 1.5 tube. the blade holder Tim carried for the 1.25 may be out of stock. He makes a converter to convert MHS parts to sink tube, so that may be the way to go.

As I said before, the 1.25 fits insode the 1.5 tube and the poly washers space the tubes apart.

The blade holder is the biggest challenge so I would suggest 2 MHS converters and use a MHS blade holder and pommel. My experince is the pommell is the hardest to do without it LOOKING like sink parts.

Take a look at this saber I am building for a frind's son...
PICSTO FOLLOW.

BD

xl97
03-12-2008, 10:25 AM
if you put a MHS - SINK TUBE adpator on each end.. you really wont need any washers..

and as stated.. if you do this..you cna use ANY MHS blade holder.. as it will screw into the adaptor.

http://dmstudios.net/misc/basicHilt.jpg

looking at this diagram, you really even need the inner 1.25 tube/pipe.. unless you wanted to do a cut-away/cover with the outter sinktube or something..

BlackDOG
03-12-2008, 12:49 PM
looking at this diagram, you really even need the inner 1.25 tube/pipe.. unless you wanted to do a cut-away/cover with the outter sinktube or something..

Exactly what I was tying to say......

Here is a pic of the cut away portion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Birdlaw/Sabers/DSC08178.jpg