PDA

View Full Version : MR 616 questions

Stinky Bantha
03-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I was just wondering if anyone that has gutted one of these guys has by chance measured the current coming from the leads to the LED. Also, is the switch for these momentary or latching, and what are the dimensions of the board itself? I'm planning on getting one in a little while, and I just wanted to have an idea of what I'll be working with. Also, supposing the normal leads don't supply the 1000ma I'm looking for (I'm planning on using a Seoul P4), would hooking a buckpuck directly to the positive from the battery, and the negative for the stock LED work to get the right current going through?

DarthFender
03-05-2008, 02:57 PM
It's a latching switch soldered directly onto the board. The Current Draw for the LED's per spec is about 100-130ma depending on which color led you're driving. I would guess the board drives the LED at 100ma. But I have not measured. I need a battery for my multimeter. I hot wired the Blue and red + lines together for the blade to the blue line to the board and got a really pretty Magenta, not exactly what I was going for, but hey.....

I'm not sure, but using the negative on the board might put too much current through it. Any onr else who has thoughts on this can chime in.

savyas
03-05-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm sure you've seen the other couple of threads on this, but I'll recap. The output of the board is nowhere near 1A, but I am using it with a P4... using a relay. I wired the board's red, green, and blue positives together so I could choose any of the 3 sounds and hooked that bundle to a relay to open the power from the batteries directly to the P4. I'm currently powering that with 6V of AAA alkaline power. The drawback in this design is that when the batteries get low, the board doesn't put out enough voltage to trip the relay resulting in sound but no LED. I'm thinking of switching this to 7.2V with a voltage regulator for the board and a DPDT or DPST switch to power the LED independently without a relay.... or, I could swap the relay out for one that is easier to trigger.

The measurements are:

2 7/16" long * 7/8" wide * roughly 11/16" tall. I say roughly 11/16" tall because this particular board that I am measuring lacks any of the switches.