PDA

View Full Version : Counterweights

gundamaniac
02-12-2006, 02:25 AM
Has anyone ever tried counterweighting their blade by putting something such as lead weights in the butt of their hilts? If so, how did it work out, and what exactly did you use as the counterweights? I'm thinking that using counterweights will increase the weight of the handle a bit and will lend the lightsaber a bit more of the "weightless blade" feel, but I don't know exactly how to go about doing it. Any advice would be appreciated =P

A Jedi gains power through understanding; a Sith gains understanding through power.

scaarmor
02-12-2006, 03:26 AM
I didnt use a counterweight per say but i did use one of Tims custom machined pommels/end caps. My goal was the weightless feel that everyone strives for obviuosly. In general sword smithing you aim to have the sword balanced at the crossguard- meaning the center of balance being between the handle and the blade. When I built my two matching sabers I used the machined pommel to add wieght to the very end of the hilt, thereby creating a hilt that was heavy at one end. The end result was that, with the blade in, the sabers are perfectly balanced between the hilt and blade. So with the blade in place it has a center of balance just above the place you grip the sabers. This all put together gives you a sense of weightlessness. Just my two cents...[:)]

Cain

***A man is known by the enemies he carries, so make the best ones you can.***

***Give me a decent foothold and I will move the world.***

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

gundamaniac
02-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Hm. I have one of Tim's pommels. They don't really feel all that heavy to me; are they really heavy enough to counterbalance the blade?

A Jedi gains power through understanding; a Sith gains understanding through power.

scaarmor
02-12-2006, 09:37 PM
True its not that heavy, but consider the fact that it is placed at the very end. Its all about leverage my friend...Alittle weight at the end of some length makes it "feel" heavier than it really is due to leverage. And leverage plays heavily on the weight of a sword-like object.

Cain

***A man is known by the enemies he carries, so make the best ones you can.***

***Give me a decent foothold and I will move the world.***

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Zarrok1138
12-28-2015, 02:57 PM
Pennies, BBs and hot glue, the old Nerf heavy weight mod. It can add a LOT of weight if you do it right. ALSO! If you put a choke just before the pommel it add a #$%& ton of counter balance.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Pennies, BBs and hot glue, the old Nerf heavy weight mod. It can add a LOT of weight if you do it right. ALSO! If you put a choke just before the pommel it add a #$%& ton of counter balance.

Dude, this thread is 9 YEARS OLD