PDA

View Full Version : What are YOU thankful for! (inspired by BlackDog's thanks a mil post)

Novastar
03-04-2008, 01:55 AM
So... what ARE you thankful for? Do tell. :)

It need not even be saber-related... it could be anything. The thread I'm creating is so that we all remind ourselves... that we are LUCKY. Even if hardship is upon us... there is ALWAYS someone out there who has it worse--and so we should stay positive, and recognize the blessings we ALL have!

I myself am victim the most to "negative thinking" at times. Granted, there is nothing wrong with complaining about things... especially when problems occur that are beyond your control. Because sometimes, THAT sparks you into action to correct things or to improve upon them... but--no need to focus on the bad... nor to let it bury you!! :D

Alright... I leave the floor to YOU. :) I will post also, but... I think I will wait a bit, and allow others to share their thanks.

BhujangiJedi
03-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Good health.
A good job and comfortable home.
A loving family.
A nice beard.
My salt crystal lamp.
My 24" monitor.
South Indian food.
Good drinking water. Man, I love water.

Awesome light sabers and a bit of sword training to be able to enjoy dancing with them! :D
My MHS sabers are so much more usable than my MR FX Anakins.

ArkaiHalon
03-04-2008, 11:13 AM
just a few thankful fors:

a loving wife, and a son who thinks I put the stars in the sky for him.
a great boss that treats me with dignity, and lets me do my job.
a great job that lets me support my family, and leaves a little to give to TCSS

DaJoQuim
03-04-2008, 06:19 PM
my wife who means everything to me!!Also my God!!

DarthFender
03-04-2008, 07:53 PM
I am thankful many things in my life. But I wanted to take the time to tell you guys about a friend of mine from high school.

Dave was the kind of guy you couldn't help but like. He was a musician, like me. He tried out for a band I was putting together. He was really patient, and forgiving when a fellow band member (namely me) had a hard time learning the part or any of that sort of thing. I found out later on that he spent weekends doing charity work at a homeless shelter. He was the kind of guy who would buy a sandwich for that homeless guy on the street you would rather not even look at. He always had a kind word for you. He never had anything to say the was negative unless it was constructive.

Dave died in 1992 at the age of 16. I was sad for a long time. But I realized that he touched so many lives.... more than the average person who lives to old age. And I got to feeling like, I'm not sad. I'm just glad that I got to know him before he became one with the Force. I am a better person for having known him. And so are Most of the people he knew.

That is one thing I will always be thankful for.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
03-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Good idea Novastar!

I myself am victim the most to "negative thinking" at times.

I hear you there, brother! I need to stop focusing on what I don't have, and count my blessings more. (Although, it does sometimes help to vent.)

I really do have a lot to be thankful for, such as:

My wife. We just celebrated out tenth anniversary. It hasn't always been easy, it hasn't always been fun, and it hasn't always been peaceful, but the relationship we have forged is stronger because of the hard times, and we are 100% committed to sticking it out together.

My son. He's 20 months old. Again, it hasn't always been easy or fun, (he's been sick today, and threw up all over me this evening,) but I wouldn't trade this time with him for anything. He's a good boy, I'm proud of him, and I love him like crazy.

My God and my church family. Both have always been there when they were needed.

My health. Aside from some problems in my neck that cause occasional headaches, and some acid reflux, I'm in pretty good health.

My home. Be it ever so humble, I have a roof over my head, and a warm dry bed.

xwingband
03-04-2008, 08:08 PM
My friends I've come to consider brothers and sisters. This whole school year would not have been the same without them. I was pretty lost last year and wasn't dealing well with a lot of things in my personal life.

Liz, for loving me when I didn't even have love for myself.
Ashley, for making my days bright with her laughter and putting up with more crap than she deserved.
Noah, for seeing the real me. For sharing, pushing and growing with each other.
Ryan, for being quirky together and not holding back.

There are countless others, but I'm happy with where I am now because of my spiritual brothers and sisters. :)

Stinky Bantha
03-04-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm thankful for having parents that do so much for me. I don't know how I'll ever repay them, but hopefully I can at least make them proud.

I'm especially thankful for my friends as well. Until this year, I didn't even know the true meaning of the word, but now I think I have an idea. I can't begin to express how much I love my friends, and I'd be totally lost without them.

I'm thankful for being able to go to school... as much as I gripe about them, I actually find a lot of my classes genuinely interesting, and going back a bit, I probably wouldn't have met my friends anywhere else.

Corbin_Das
03-05-2008, 01:50 AM
I'm thankful for a bunch of stuff:

*Having a loving and supportive girlfriend (soon to be fiance'). She actually bought my ticket for Celebration 3 as a present for me a few years back.

*Not being in as bad of physical condition as I probably should be considering all my injuries over the years (7 car wrecks, 2 gunshot wounds, 1 stab wound, mauled by dog, fell 30 feet while rappelling and getting an industrial strength paint stripper shot in my eye) ;)

*Still having both my parents alive. Even though I don't always see both of them as much as I would like, it's a blessing to be able to talk with them sometimes.

*Living in a time when I can have my hobby not only pay for itself, but to actually help pay the bills.

*I'm thankful that the saber community is (by and large) filled with people that want to help each other and not try to discredit or argue that their stuff is better than someone else's. I admit there's one or two out there, but the majority of people really want to help you. That's one of the things that makes this hobby so rewarding for me.

*The fact that I don't have a mortgage. This place is paid for! Obviously, there's still electrical and gas, taxes and other bills, but the fact that I don't have to worry about a mortgage makes things easier.

*That I live in a Country that, despite its flaws, is still one of, if not THE best Nation ever.

*Finally, I'm thankful for all of the blessings going on "behind the scenes" that I'll probably never know about, but help each of us at one time or another, even if we don't realize it all the time. I'm talking about things like blood and organ donors, teachers and clergy, Police and Firefighters, all those in the medical profession, Family and friends (whether biological, adopted, spiritual or social). Basically, those that contribute to the wellbeing of others, whether they ever meet them or not.

For these and many other things, far too plentiful to list, I give thanks.

chase
03-05-2008, 10:25 AM
I am thankful for my family, who have had some hard times lately, but still manage to keep very close. For my wife who puts up with me and my habits (lightsabers,props,costuming,video games). For having a job, even though I don't like it sometimes....I still have one and can provide for those who I love. I'm thankful for the good friends I have who will help and support anything I do and for those, weather it be friends or family, who will never hold me back.

Barmic Rin
03-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Warm summer days, and chicks in small tops........ LOL!!!!!!!!

Well, i'm skint, single, have a sucky job.

I suppose i'm thankful for my health, quiet moments & puppies.

savyas
03-05-2008, 07:41 PM
water, malt, hops, yeast.

Novastar
03-06-2008, 01:19 AM
Alright... lots of stuff I have. Gonna tell ya, wanna hear it, here it go:

LED Saber/BOP-related:

* Corbin... for his patience back in 2006 and his understanding that--well, I knew nothing of electronics, but wanted to "push the envelope" with the BOP I project and really make some headway for live performance.

* Tim (Strydur), Alex (Ultra), Joe (Corbin), Erv (Erv...!), Edwin (Eandori), Michael (Yoda from FX-sabers), Michael (X-Wing), Brian (Gundamaniac), Aaron "Bin-Adam" Sellers (he knows who he is!), Do-Clo, Neophyl and many countless others... without whom, many of my saber-related ideas may have either failed, or been further delayed or left in the "never finished that project" pile.

And I didn't even list everyone!

* The Balance of Power (EP I) team for sticking together to finish the project even when things became hard. Very special thanks to Phil and Mark from the cast--since without their hard work... many of the sabers would simply not have worked!

* The Balance of Power (EP II) team... for--again--sticking to their guns to complete the task at hand. It's clear that this project really started to show how far things could go, and how far the boundaries could be pushed! Actions I never thought could be accomplished live by a bunch of ragtag volunteers... were completed!

* For Phil deciding to finish what we started with the big 250 move battle. I sunk a lot of heart & soul into the choreography, and with it 97% complete... it would be a shame to abandon it for now.

Non-saber related:

* My awesome g/f Jennifer... the kind of person that holds true to her word even in the darkest of hours, the hardest times... the worst weathers of life...

* For having my health (sort of like what Corbin said!)... I mean, recently... and many of you do not know this... I literally fractured my spine--my C3 vertebrae. Nice. Luckily, here I am, healing, unaffected in terms of... well... I am *not* paralyzed! So... it could have been worse... MUCH worse.

* For (much like how Corbin says) being able to run my small business/passion/hobby... and support myself AND Jennifer... yet not feel like I have to scrimp and suffer at every waking hour. The business (as small as it is)--is working, and although I ain't no $100K a year man... hallelujah, I have afforded putting together projects like BOP without having to make Bill Gates' salary!!! :)

* For having a great "network of help" in friends, family and associates that I can call upon in my time of need... and vice-versa for them!

* For never being cursed with a brain and body that "gives up" when things get tough. Instead... happy to be a stubborn, insistent, tenacious jackass who simply NEVER quits... even when the rest of the world might say otherwise, lol.
I think that's good enough for now. Naturally, there are plenty more things to be thankful of--including living in a country, which (although flawed), is pretty bloody good when compared to living in almost any other place. Almost. ;)

BlackDOG
03-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks Nova for the follow through.........

A long while back, I sent a letter to a former teacher.......she was terminally ill and I though it would be nice to tell her that her patience with us students was appreciated. It had been over ten years since I had been in her class. Anyhow, they read that letter at her funeral and I though, "How duumb is it to wait till somebdy dies to tell them how you feel?" The reason I bring this up is, that far too often, we wait until someone is sick or leaving for Iraq or some other drastic circumstance to drop the walls we build and give them the real emotion we feel. Even in today's world of cyber chat, forum friends and IM......I nver hurts to be real for once.

So here goes.....

I am thankful for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. It sounds like a pat answer, something someone would say after a touchdown dance or in a post game interview.....but it is a reality for me. If you even want to know about Him please ask..........My life 12 years ago was a pit or despair......Now, I get down somtimes, even depressed, but that is my selfishness clouding the reality. Reality is that I live a life completly full of the things that men would and have killed for.....

A wife I dearly love and loves me....who even tolerates my diverse interests----from camping and outdoor stuff, to my many hours devoted to being a Boy Scout leader, to sabers and video games and the gear head hours in the garage with my jeep and corvette.

Two amazing kids---I could never have imagined in my wildest dreams how utterly in love I could be with two individuals that can drive me so bonkers.....If you have them, you understand, if you don't it is the most amazing blessing.

Family- I lost my dad ten years ago to cancer-----things have not been exactly right since then-----but the rest of my family is a blessing beyond cmpare.

Friends- I have a great group of friends who I can call on and depend on. Oddly enough, I have a rather large group of friends that I met on a couple of forums. Incidentally, some of the folks around this place are really growing on me LOL...This is a great group and I am glad you let me lurk around. Even if I am a spagehtti wiring NOOB.

The list could go on and on, but I won't put it down here. There is so much suffering and despair in the world.....and we have the freedom to discuss luxuries like movie props. Luxuires to some would be a full belly and clean water ( I dig water too...and water flavored by hops and malt on occasion LOL)

Thanks again for the follow up Nova

BD

PS- I am thankful for CF that I hope to order tomorrow!

Novastar
03-15-2008, 02:41 AM
Not as many people thankful--for whatever--as I'd expected, but....

OOOOOOKKKK!!!

Thanks to those who DID post though, heheh

Malaki Skywalker
03-15-2008, 04:41 AM
I'm BIG TIME thankfully for great parents, a healthy family (Great grandfather is 96!), great friends, Erv for creating the CF and carrying it on even though he is very busy, Novastar for being one of the funniest people on this earth :lol:, Tim for making and keeping TCSS going, and of coarse Star Wars its self

Xwing, Nova, Eandori, Erv and Neophyl for being great help (Neophyl for boosting my interest is Custom Saber building) And for such a great online community here at TCSS for being so supportive, helpful and nice towards other members and there sabers

And one of the biggest things I'm thankful for is... life its self.

Well that wraps it up for me :D

Corbin_Das
03-15-2008, 05:27 AM
Not as many people thankful--for whatever--as I'd expected, but....

OOOOOOKKKK!!!

Thanks to those who DID post though, heheh

We probably shouldn't assume that just because not everyone posted something here that they're ungrateful or not thankful. Nobody is under obligation to share. The thread is a nice format for it though.

Corbin

Novastar
03-16-2008, 02:04 AM
I was just teasing, Corbin... ;)

strengthofrage
03-16-2008, 04:11 AM
I am thankful for my position in life, be it humble or average it suits me fine. I am thankful for my Father and I being (so far) successful in our new (2 years running now) family owned and run business 'Hartfiel's Hometown Garage'... 3 generations working together. I am thankful for friends and family that, though I may not always say so, I am grateful for. Also for my many hobbies that keep my aggression and sanity in check.

Now for the not so serious thanks...

Thanks to Maxwell House, Ford & Chevy, Sunkist, sun dresses (for viewing, not wearing), hoodies, bonfires, Red Bull (occasionally with a splash of vodka), McDonald's breakfast, Chinese food, action figures, lightsabers and the countless friends I have met through the past year here, and finally... Books. Without books I would be absolutely out of my mind.

Do-Clo
03-16-2008, 10:41 AM
I am thankful for way things turn out in life, when the company that I worked for closed, I decided to focus on my hobby and it has grown into a full time job now. So thanks to all those who have bought my sabers.

DaJoQuim
03-16-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm thankful for my new found brother in do-clo!!

987654321a
03-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Im thankful for facial hair...
jk

Im thankful for having a family to provide a warm house and bed to me
Im thankful for having 2 great uncles who are both in the army right now
Im thankful to have friends like you guys
Im thankful to have a life
Im thankful my parents are alive and kickin!
Im thankful I am CPR Certified
Im thankful I have iTunes. lol

Mi Gin Gonn
03-17-2008, 05:55 AM
I'm thankful for a bunch of stuff:

*Having a loving and supportive girlfriend (soon to be fiance'). She actually bought my ticket for Celebration 3 as a present for me a few years back.

way to go, Corb. congrats, duder.
i'm thankful to not be dead...not yet.

ArkaiHalon
03-17-2008, 06:38 AM
my latest Thankful

I'm thankful that after 3 years, our family business will FINALLY turn a profit this year.
I'm thankful to the customers that made it happen, both new and old.

Novastar
03-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Dude! Rock on Arkai!

And here *I'VE* been feeling bad over the years that my small business "The Cutting Edge" ain't exactly been raking in the dollars... but then, I guess I need to be thankful that it has been making "profit" and paying my bills for the last 5 years (and now helping with my g/f's).

So... I will further re-affirm being thankful that my business SEEMS to be working alright thus far. Although me gots to step it up, heheheh...

BlackDOG
03-17-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm thankful for my new found brother in do-clo!!

Do we have a new Sith Initiate?

LOLZ

Good friends are great asset.

BD

ArkaiHalon
03-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Dude! Rock on Arkai!

And here *I'VE* been feeling bad over the years that my small business "The Cutting Edge" ain't exactly been raking in the dollars... but then, I guess I need to be thankful that it has been making "profit" and paying my bills for the last 5 years (and now helping with my g/f's).

So... I will further re-affirm being thankful that my business SEEMS to be working alright thus far. Although me gots to step it up, heheheh...

Thanks Nova. It's definately been rough going. we haven't gone totally broke, but we've shown a loss each of the prior 3 years we've been in business. We finally seem to be on track, and based upon our first quarter, we should finally make it.

Novastar
03-17-2008, 02:22 PM
You will. I have FAITH, dammit!!!! :)

BlackDOG
03-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Yeah....Been self employed for almost 12 years.......and I have been wondering the whole time if things were going to work out......But THANKFULLY they have.

jpbeck
03-19-2008, 07:33 AM
I'm thankful that this site doesn't have any members, that don't even own a light saber, and put up 1000 worthless posts in one month! It bogs down the site and makes me sift through crap waisting my time.

I'm also thankful that the members here tend to stick within their area of expertise. I don't see a whole lot of advise given here that is a cut and paste job from another thread. That is cool!

I'm thankful that for this site, where I can get the information I want without reading about "what hand someone is drinking with". All those posts do is push the good informative posts down to the bottom of the page where they never get read.

It's cool to blow off some steam every once in a while in a Non-topic thread--BUT EVERY BLOODY POST!

Finally I am thankful for this opportunity to rant. :twisted:
Thank you.

Drichar Deis
03-19-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm thankful that this site doesn't have any members, that don't even own a light saber, and put up 1000 worthless posts in one month! It bogs down the site and makes me sift through crap waisting my time.

I'm also thankful that the members here tend to stick within their area of expertise. I don't see a whole lot of advise given here that is a cut and paste job from another thread. That is cool!

I'm thankful that for this site, where I can get the information I want without reading about "what hand someone is drinking with". All those posts do is push the good informative posts down to the bottom of the page where they never get read.

It's cool to blow off some steam every once in a while in a Non-topic thread--BUT EVERY BLOODY POST!

Finally I am thankful for this opportunity to rant. :twisted:
Thank you.

AND BREATH! ha ha!