PDA

View Full Version : Photon Alterations

Usernames suck
02-11-2006, 11:29 PM
I found this on ebay and I am sure that everyone knows who photon alterations is but in the description about mid-way thru it says something about they use 4 AAA's in their modified led sabers. Would this make a difference in brightness or is there something else that they do to make it brighter?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Led-Vader-Lightsaber-with-3-watt-Red-Luxeon-not-el_W0QQitemZ6605022130QQcategoryZ98027QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The opression of the Sith will never return, you have lost - mace windu

scaarmor
02-12-2006, 03:39 AM
This has been discussed before but no. The amount of voltage does not change the brightness of LED, that only works for EL. Also remember that AA and AAA are the same voltage per battery in most cases. 4AA will give you the same voltage as 4AAA. In fact, if you take the voltage to high in an LED saber you can pop the LED. I asked Tim this same question months ago to make sure that going to AAA to save room wouldnt affect anything. The only difference is that AA's are bigger- means more juice/charge.

Cain

***A man is known by the enemies he carries, so make the best ones you can.***

***Give me a decent foothold and I will move the world.***

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

wood7588
02-12-2006, 10:28 PM
I looked at the ebay listing and I think that the question at hand is that this guy is saying that he is using a 4 battery pack instead of the stock 3 battey pack. Then the answer would be maybe. I believe that it depends on the resistor he is using. I am not a pro with electronics but as I understand it you use the resistor from keeping the LED from self destructing. The factory gives the specs on how much current the LED can handle for long life and optimal brightness. You then do some math and find out what resistor to use. Some times one combination of volts and ohm will give you a result closer to the optimal than another. Hence it maybe that with the right resistor useing 4 batteries will be better than 3 or vise versa. As I have read on other LED forums originally people did use 3 battery combinations but after someone refigured the math people used 4 batteries. Tim has the most recent listing of which resistors to use with which voltage. I also believe that if you use a resistor that is to small the LED will get brighter but will burn out much more quickly.
This turned into a lot bigger post than I intended. Hope it answers you question.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Otherwise I dont learn nothing.

LAN-ED-TUL
02-12-2006, 11:33 PM
careful that dude now posts on here and we dont want a war goin on here.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

LAN-ED-TUL
02-13-2006, 03:29 AM
told ya.

xwingband
02-13-2006, 05:17 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by photonalterations
Why do you think Tims sells 4 AAA pack here.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

because no one makes a 3 pack???[:p][:D]

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Strydur
02-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Actually they do make a 3-pack[:)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Yes it still works and yes you see the blade light up. But not to its full capacity.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The only optical power meters I have are my eyeballs and according to them there is no difference running a LED off 4-aa or running a converted MR off of the stock 3-aa setup. See this thread for comparison pics.
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

xwingband
02-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I thought as long as you meet the minimum forward voltage and use the correct resistor there isn't a difference expect maybe run time.

I remember seeing 3-packs now... but they wouldn't fit well in a hilt, and I'm trying to picture one and it's just funny. Either an L shape or a triangle. LOL

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

LAN-ED-TUL
02-13-2006, 12:07 PM
i never seen one, except ones actually made in the toys themselves. like the anakin color change. if someone coulda hacked around that spot, you could almost use it in other applications. but, heck, i prefer the AA or AAA 4 pack setups, whichever fits the best at the time.

Meridian
04-17-2006, 01:21 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

Actually they do make a 3-pack[:)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Yes it still works and yes you see the blade light up. But not to its full capacity.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The only optical power meters I have are my eyeballs and according to them there is no difference running a LED off 4-aaa or running a converted MR off of the stock 3-aa setup. See this thread for comparison pics.
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes I agree completely with Tim on this.

In rergards to the speculation of batteries with MR components.
I believe the actual finished product when seen in person provides the facts better
than any hyped up description.

I have plenty of Luxeon LED Sabers and the ones powered by the MR board look great.

I've bought sabers from others on eBay who have tried to bypass the board or use the
4aaa in conjunction with it and it doesn't seem to have the amps to push it[V] regardless
of the implied voltage.

I've directly compared their brightness to Tims recommended wiring set up and with out
a doubt Tim's is much, much brighter in combination with the 3watt Lumileds[:D]

In fact I even got one from another builder that uses the 6cell ROTJ model and
it was the darkest of all [:0]
I think He might not have been using the right LEDs because the Green was a very
different color than it should be.
Thankfully the Guy is Honest and actually knows how to do business so I'm sending
it back for a refund... and I'm sure He will want to fix it for the future[;)]

So If your using Tims wiring recommendation and MR electronics you can't go wrong.[^]

Another Test I'll be doing is gutting my EL Larbel Obiwan EP1 and fitting it with an LED with-out sound to see how bright is is compared to the MR with sound.

May the force always be with you[8D]

always
MERIDIAN

LAN-ED-TUL
04-18-2006, 03:01 AM
hey meridian, the PA gal, ya know the one with the light pumpin blade? shes all upset. i told her if ya want anyone to believe what your sayin, then prove it by showin a video. Still shots dont cut it, ya cant tell nuttin.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/LAN-ED-TUL/me.jpg
The Brotherhood Of The Sith