PDA

View Full Version : brightness

Kri-to Inakr
03-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm also new to the saber search and i can't decide which to go with EL or LED. I have read the pros and cons of each, but which one do most people go with usually. I guess I'm gonna be a follower, but I can't decide. So if someone has some insight on this and could ease my decision that would be great.

Lord Maul
03-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Did you read the "New to the saber scene" forum, the Thread Index, and the FAQ?

Most go with LED nowadays. EL is becoming less and less popular, but is still superior in quick color swapping.

xwingband
03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
So what's the question?

The topic is brightness? Simple, Luxeon all the way.

Most are honestly going Luxeon now, but EL isn't without it's perks. Like Maul said, color swapping is tops and despite the lack of brightness that makes it super safe, say if you wanted to make a "kiddie" saber.

37H4N
03-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Not trying to force my opinion here but to EL sucks. Trust me you almost cannot duel with EL sabers. I've been there done that and it ended badly.
In terms of brightness for EL, even though I've only tried two colors, lime green is the brightest. I compared my lime green blade to an MR saber and there was almost no difference. Not realy important but I just want to bash white. White EL blades are unbelievably disapointing, I turned it on with lights on and couldn't tell if it was on or not, turned the lights off, well I could see it but it might as well have not been on. Yes, it's that bad.

Now that my rant is over, go with LED. Now if your wanting the 3/4 OD of an EL blade then just buy the reducer and a 3/4 blade from the shop and put it in your LED saber. It won't be as bright but you've got the best of both worlds.

Count Malik
03-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Yes, go with Luxeon LEDs they are the brightiest of them all and they're the closiest to the the real thing you can get. Besides EL is old technology. Hope this helps.

ArkaiHalon
03-04-2008, 05:48 PM
led also tends to be cheaper. running a quick calculation earlier today, a bare bones EL saber was about 75 bucks, and a bare bones led was around 60.

Lord Maul
03-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Factor in 40 bucks for a different EL color and 15 bucks for a new LED color and the difference is more pronounced.

ArkaiHalon
03-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Factor in 40 bucks for a different EL color and 15 bucks for a new LED color and the difference is more pronounced.

I didn't even think about that part. even though EL is more convenient for color swapping, that's a heck of a convenience charge.;)

thejedilestat
03-09-2008, 09:04 PM
why dont u try somthing diff... flip a coin

it couldent hurt i like EL and LED if u are short on credits then go LED

still i say u flip a coin to make ur choice let the force decied:mrgreen:

felix142
03-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I'd have to say the real distinction isn't brightness but feel. I love both but EL blades are MUCH heavier. If lightsabers were real, there would be no weight to the blade. LED pulls this off better.

B.

USJMB
03-10-2008, 11:23 PM
I have to agree with everyone else, LED is much better. I personally never thought i would build anything but EL sabers, but I started on some LED's after i worked with aluminum and it is by far better. Yes they are harder to change color, but that can be a quick fix if you are inventive or do the quick change LED. ALso, i do prefer the 3/4 inch thinwall blades, and truthfully i have compared them to my 1 inch blades and they are just as bright. When done right, any LED saber can be extremely bright. I hope this helps. Oh, and btw, EL needs at least 12 volts to run correctly, when LED's can run on as little 3.