PDA

View Full Version : Thanks a Million

BlackDOG
03-01-2008, 12:39 AM
I just made a purchase from the store and the new saber is officcially on the bench. I am terribly excirted about it.

I just wanted to thank you guys for the hours and time you put into this hobby. Sometimes, when I am writing my SW stories or when I am contemplating ideas for my saber, I have the astounding thought......STUPID, you are 36 with kids and a job and real life responsibilities...why on earth are you futzing around with a movie made over 30 years ago?

Well, the answer is not simple and I suppose I share it with a lot of the older guys around here. The movie was just a starting point to years of action figures, imagination, and thought about the world we know as the Star Wrs universe. Here I am at 2:30 Am thinking about my new saber.......can I get a witness to this madness?

Maybe its too much Savignon Blanc.(LOL)......maybe its the hour, but I am very proud of my fellow soujourners in this obsession. Thanks fo making me feel reasonable.

Special thanks to Tim, Novastar and Xwing......your store and answers to my inquires have been most helpful. And I appologize to Erv for being a pest about the new board...........

Sorry for the sappy post guys......buty I have nbeen thinking about this site quite a bit.......maybe all of us can think about how much benefit Tim and his store and the forum has meant to all of us......maybe you could thank those that spend HOURS AND HOURS of putting this info down so we can soak it up.......folks like Xwing, Novastar, Eandori who spen coutless hours mulling this stuff over...........no guilt trip here, but think about all that goes into this forum. I am an admin on another board and I know what it takes......so here is the rally cry.....
THANKS TCSS!!!!!

BD

Darth Zecks
03-01-2008, 01:44 AM
I am so with you on this Dog. People may call us nerds and say that we are being childish but its more then just toys and movies, its a community. If your not into it your not going to get it. I realized this when me and four of my friend took a road trip to C2 from Cali to Indiana. The convention was amazing. It was like I knew all these people already. I could literally walk up to anyone and start talking to them about something. This forum has just helped to reinforce that. Everyone here is so helpful even from day one. Its not any more silly then guys who obsess over sports. I have 2 kids, a wife and a mortgage. I am not ashamed of who I am and what I like. I don't think anyone else who is a Star Wars fan is or should be and neither should you. Embrace it, enjoy it, share it.

BhujangiJedi
03-01-2008, 02:13 AM
I just found out about TCSS last November (2007) and have been obsessed ever since. Before that I had owned two MR FX sabers for a little over a year.

A BIG thanks to Tim and all the engineering types who figure out all the possibilities with the available technology (and those who come up with new tech!) and share their discoveries here!

I always find it odd that there exist people who aren't excited by GLOWING STICKS! I must just be hard-wired to get excited any time I see a GLOWING STICK. I'm a fan of Star Wars, but I'm independently a fan of swords... even moreso when they're made of LIGHT! I would love light sabers even without Star Wars, and I would love Star Wars even without light sabers - the fact that they made such awesome movies and had light sabers is simply a match made in heaven.

Hatja
03-01-2008, 02:54 AM
I've never understood the hostility towards Star Wars fans...or fans of any other movie, book, story... Our hobbies (building sabers, costuming, watching movies, playing games, and so on) are completely harmless. People seem to assume that our enjoyment of a story somehow disconnects us from the world, or that we live in a fantasy land.

We've all heard the stories about folks who have a difficult time distinguishing between reality and fiction. That's not a fan, that's an insane person. Never in all my years of hanging out with other fans have I met anyone who is incapable of drawing the line between fantasy and reality.

Every single Star Wars fan I know, from the casual movie watcher, to the robe-wearing, saber-swinging uber fans, are people who hold jobs, have families, friends, enjoy other things like tennis, skiing, travel, politics, religion etc etc. They are responsible adults who would never let their enjoyment of a movie interfere with their duties as husband, wife, mom, or dad. We just happen to enjoy this stuff. Why? Because it's *&#@%@# fun, that's why! There is no age limit on having fun or using your imagination, and nobody should have to apologize for having an old fashioned good time, and we should all be thankful that we have Tim and this great community of folks to support and share our hobby.

So, my friend, I say enjoy the heck out of it. Build that saber. Wait till 2:30 in the morning, run out on your front lawn, fire up your brightest LED and scream, "Holy hydrogenated dingleberries, Batman! This is fun, and I ain't stopping!"
:D

Corbin_Das
03-01-2008, 02:58 AM
Welcome to the forum BlackDOG and Hatja!
Having been an insider here at TCSS, I can attest to the amount of work I've seen these guys put into the forum. I doubt many folks realize the type of time involved in doing things like coding interactive links, answering many of same the questions that new folks tend to ask, trying to keep up on the latest specs and whatnot, and just being there for people.
As a moderator on another forum, you probably can understand it better than a lot of folks. I'm a moderator on another forum too and they aren't nearly as busy over there. So I agree. This forum and the folks that run things definitely are an asset to the lightsaber community.

Keep up the great work guys!

Corbin

ArkaiHalon
03-01-2008, 05:57 AM
DOG, you are on the mark. I've got a son, wife, mortgage, career. all those grown up responsibilities. But one of my highpoints everyday is coming to the forums and seeing new sabers, making friends. I've built sabers for years, but never really bragged about them til i found TCSS, and made my sabers better.

vortextwist
03-01-2008, 07:26 AM
You are welcome! TCSS is one of the places I come to feel even better about my hobbie. Some of the guys at work give you that weird smile when you tell em but I was tellin of a friend about some of the spins I know and he was like "show me this on" in a real excited voice, so you know everyone has a star wars nerd in them.

Arm on Fire
03-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Wave your geek flag high and proud my friends......:)

I too find it hard to find anybody outside the forum that gets it, but the way i figure it its no differnt than someone who goes to a football game half painted red, half painted blue, shirt off, screaming "touchdown".... why thats more socially exceptable ill never understand.

Anyway, rock on with your saber-self....;)

Hatja
03-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the forum BlackDOG and Hatja!
Having been an insider here at TCSS, I can attest to the amount of work I've seen these guys put into the forum. I doubt many folks realize the type of time involved in doing things like coding interactive links, answering many of same the questions that new folks tend to ask, trying to keep up on the latest specs and whatnot, and just being there for people.
As a moderator on another forum, you probably can understand it better than a lot of folks. I'm a moderator on another forum too and they aren't nearly as busy over there. So I agree. This forum and the folks that run things definitely are an asset to the lightsaber community.

Keep up the great work guys!

Corbin

Thanks, Corbin. I know it can be pretty difficult to keep a forum (especially one attached to a store, like this one) running smoothly. I must say that all those involved with this particular forum do a great job, and the community here seems especially kind, supportive, and excited about saber projects...from the fanciest hilt, to the simple stunt-style sink tube.

Right now, I'm going through the "Tutorial" section (which is a gem in and of itself) to get the basics on saber construction. I would encourage all other newbies like me to read this section CAREFULLY. So many basic (and frequent) questions are covered here. If you still have problems, you will at least be able to ask the community a more specific question after reading through these threads.

Thanks again!

Hatja

Barmic Rin
03-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Blackdog, you spoke the words we all know, the feelings we all know & the geekiness we're all proud to be part of.

I've been on the forums for a while, and a customer of Tim's for long before then & my admiration for him & everyone else that contributes to the technical side of things only grows with each day!

Cheers ALL!!!!!!

BlackDOG
03-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Even thought many of us are huge NERDS..(Me included) A good looking lux saber never fails to get attention.......Took mine to the courthouse with me and got HUGE laughs and compliments...even with a crappy wal mart saber board......

I just know from my work on the other forum (with about 300 active folks) admin and such is a huge pain.... I also know it gets really TIRING when someone asks you for the 50th time in a week, How do I post a pic? or what do I need to do to in order to be able to ........? I saw Xwing flame someone that first day I was on the board......I knew exactly why.......Anyhow.......

I highly reccomend cloundy bay savingnion blanc........good for what ails ya.

Take care all and again, thanks!

BD

37H4N
03-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Well said BD, and all.

Before TCSS there was RS and before that there was $20 wal-mart saber sabers and the $7 sabers. Me and my friends had a blast with those things! For years I would play with 'em then I wanted a custom saber just for me and thats when I found RS. For some reason I was to attached to them that I was blind to the fact that TCSS was such a better site and better community. I was also lazy, so stuck with random to make my saber for me. But then I saw the light and converted to TCSS-ism. From the day I got my first MHS parts I was in awe of the work that Tim does so well. Eventualy I gradualy got more and more involved in the custom saber building community and now it's sometimes like a second family. :)

Anyway, I'm just glad there is a place that saber/SW nerds like me can come to without feeling embarased or afraid to show my love for an amazing series of films and cool weapons it's created.

I'm not real good with speaches and stuff so I guess thats it. :lol:

So in closing, thank you Tim and all who helped to make the store and forum so awesome!

Lord Maul
03-03-2008, 06:05 PM
In short, LONG LIVE TCSS http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/Smilies/icon_cheers.gif

Tim, thanks for making this great site possible http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/Smilies/icon_clap2.gif

savyas
03-03-2008, 06:10 PM
or.. in the immortal words of Jimmy Buffett.. "Why don't we get drunk and screw".. MHS pieces together, that is.

Strydur
03-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys!! There would be no TCSS without the support from all of the customers over the last couple years. And we wouldnt continue to grow without the help you all give new customers who find us here on the forums and by spreading the word to all of your friends and family. So it really is I who should be thanking all of you. So..um THANK YOU!! :p

Novastar
03-04-2008, 01:49 AM
No one should EVER feel lame for posting/saying/writing a bit of thanks... in any way... of any sort... to ANYone!

Hmm... an excellent thank you, B-dog!! And I was more than happy to help over IM. Anytime. I try my best to answer EVERYone... even though things get busy.

In fact... this thread gives birth to a new idea--well, at least in my opinion. I think I will make a thread under "miscellaneous" regarding "What you're thankful for"... :)

Too many times, it is human nature to see the bad in things... I myself am victim to this WAAAAAAY too much. Therefore, if maybe we have a thread on here to at least "pay hommage" to the things we're thankful for (even IF not related to sabers)... then booley for us.

Again... it need not be a "I'm thankful for sabers"... it could be your wife or your friends... or an old teacher of yours. Whatever. Show thanks! And not just on Thanksgiving!

GREAT POST, B-DOG!