PDA

View Full Version : Where does one look to make a sound board?

Malaki Skywalker
02-21-2008, 02:27 PM
I was thinking, is there a site on the wonderful internet that makes custom PCBs
and electronics? i.e. makeyourownchip.com which no way am i going near.

Looking to invest in creating a custom sound module :???:

xwingband
02-21-2008, 02:32 PM
What are you looking for that can't be met with what is already out there? I don't have any experience, but I'm curious.

Malaki Skywalker
02-21-2008, 02:44 PM
What are you looking for that can't be met with what is already out there? I don't have any experience, but I'm curious.

Theres no beating the Crystal Focus, but i would like to create something that works for LED strips like MR's not necessarily luxeons, like an upgrade ;)

Oh and a cheaper solution for budgeted builders

Hasid Lafre
02-21-2008, 02:48 PM
erv has made the CF work for led strips.

Malaki Skywalker
02-21-2008, 02:51 PM
erv has made the CF work for led strips.

Ok then lol a cheaper sound board for luxeons

xwingband
02-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Ok then lol a cheaper sound board for luxeons

LOL, I asked because it's a tall order. The amounts you'd need to do it in to be cheap is going to be tough to get going.

Novastar
02-21-2008, 08:53 PM
If you want to make a cheapo sound & light driver... why not just cannibalize Force FX drivers or Hasbro's?

If you're talking about UBER sound (such as Erv's)... well... I've looked into that kind of thing EXTENSIVELY back in 2006... which was just before I met Erv and realized in full what he was doing.

The bottom line is... unless you have:

** High level EE knowledge (circuitry, component gathering skills, great soldering skills)
** High level Programming knowledge (writing code for PCB control)

* Patent Litigation understanding (or access to people who do... which usually costs @$100 to $300 /hr. for consultation if you don't "know" people)
* A way to market such a product in a decent way (and I'm not talking about posting ONE silly little "I did it" thread)
* The ability to set the cost in a good position where you are both fair to consumer AND make profit (which means you won't be buying parts from the U.S.)
* Great communication / support skills via e-mail, orders, website, shipping concerns, etc. etc.

...you won't be making any kind of sound & light driver PCB. Also... even if you could let OTHERS do the above double-starred list items (programming & EE circuit design)... which is what I was needing to do since I do not have the skills/equipment...

...it would cost you around $7000 to $14000 to build 100 to 1000 boards, have them all ready, and be in the position to sell them.

It ain't easy. Erv does the work of about a dozen people. Pretty much like I do/did for the Balance of Power projects. Things like this don't come around very often.

Malaki Skywalker
02-22-2008, 01:04 AM
If you want to make a cheapo sound & light driver... why not just cannibalize Force FX drivers or Hasbro's?

If you're talking about UBER sound (such as Erv's)... well... I've looked into that kind of thing EXTENSIVELY back in 2006... which was just before I met Erv and realized in full what he was doing.

The bottom line is... unless you have:

** High level EE knowledge (circuitry, component gathering skills, great soldering skills)
** High level Programming knowledge (writing code for PCB control)

* Patent Litigation understanding (or access to people who do... which usually costs @$100 to $300 /hr. for consultation if you don't "know" people)
* A way to market such a product in a decent way (and I'm not talking about posting ONE silly little "I did it" thread)
* The ability to set the cost in a good position where you are both fair to consumer AND make profit (which means you won't be buying parts from the U.S.)
* Great communication / support skills via e-mail, orders, website, shipping concerns, etc. etc.

...you won't be making any kind of sound & light driver PCB. Also... even if you could let OTHERS do the above double-starred list items (programming & EE circuit design)... which is what I was needing to do since I do not have the skills/equipment...

...it would cost you around $7000 to $14000 to build 100 to 1000 boards, have them all ready, and be in the position to sell them.

It ain't easy. Erv does the work of about a dozen people. Pretty much like I do/did for the Balance of Power projects. Things like this don't come around very often.

I think ill skip the idea until i finish electronic engineering this year at college :shock:

Thanks for telling me what i would drop myself into Nova LOL ;)

Novastar
02-23-2008, 08:17 PM
As my own Devil's Advocate... don't be TOO overwhelmed by it all. Especially if you're passionate about such an idea.

After all... I cannot *TELL* everyone out there how many people told me "Uh... ok, that's not gonna happen." when I suggested the idea of BOP I to friends, actors, etc. Everyone scoffed. That is normal.

If you conquer the problems one at a time... you can most certainly do it. Only question is... do you really WANT to "make a driver board", and do you want to sell it. Or do you just prefer to make one for yourself... sort of a one or two time thing?

I'm not 100% sure, but... I imagine Erv's project began as him saying "I wanna make something cool for MYSELF", and he soon realized after some study and market research... hey, others want this too! :)

hambleta
03-08-2008, 06:59 AM
expressPCB.com is a decent place for making custom PCB's. I've had them make me a few for other projects I've worked on in the past. The mini boards are the way to go if you're making them for personal use.
I've sat down and started designing my own luxeon driver for a lux V however I'm designing it to be versatile so a flick of switch will change the output current so that it might drive a k2 or lux III as well. But for right now until I'm finished designing things how I want them to be I'm buying my parts from those that have already made them.

erv
03-16-2008, 12:04 PM
my 2 cents :D

stay away from makeyouownchip. We know someone that had huge problems when getting them making a sound board (correct me if I'm wrong).

building a soundboard isn't so hard if you studied EE. Making a good sound board is difficult. Good and cheap are most of the time opposite things. On my side, I'm using a microcontroller bigger than I'd really need if I was counting the cents, I have an expensive DAC and so on.
Then, if you target to have a compagny building them for you, multiply the cost by 3.
Designing electronic boards is a giant compromise / bargain... Depends if you target high quality / features or price, but you won't get both.

On another side : if you want to make your own sound board... for fun, to experiment, to have a project for the rainny days, because you think CF is an insult to your wallet or whatever : GO FOR IT ! I really encourage people to try things, exchange and talk about their project and progress.
I have a french customer, a bit younger than me and he told me about making a sound board on his own, he's an EE. We didn't really agree on certain aspects of the design, but it does not matter : it's his project, he's doing something for building a saber for his brother 40th birthday or something like that.
The most important thing : have projects... plans... wishes.. and GO FOR THEM ! (and have fun)

Erv'

Malaki Skywalker
03-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Thats just what I'm looking for, BTW Erv' you are the one that inspired me to take EE at college :D ;)

All i want to do is make a soundboard as an experiment and of coarse for fun, its also for a future saber that is to be my little Padawans (7 Yr old cousin hehe)

Thanks Erv'

my 2 cents :D

stay away from makeyouownchip. We know someone that had huge problems when getting them making a sound board (correct me if I'm wrong).

building a soundboard isn't so hard if you studied EE. Making a good sound board is difficult. Good and cheap are most of the time opposite things. On my side, I'm using a microcontroller bigger than I'd really need if I was counting the cents, I have an expensive DAC and so on.
Then, if you target to have a compagny building them for you, multiply the cost by 3.
Designing electronic boards is a giant compromise / bargain... Depends if you target high quality / features or price, but you won't get both.

On another side : if you want to make your own sound board... for fun, to experiment, to have a project for the rainny days, because you think CF is an insult to your wallet or whatever : GO FOR IT ! I really encourage people to try things, exchange and talk about their project and progress.
I have a french customer, a bit younger than me and he told me about making a sound board on his own, he's an EE. We didn't really agree on certain aspects of the design, but it does not matter : it's his project, he's doing something for building a saber for his brother 40th birthday or something like that.
The most important thing : have projects... plans... wishes.. and GO FOR THEM ! (and have fun)

Erv'

Novastar
03-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Malaki... this is a VERY important concept! To Erv-i-wan you listen! heheheh

Again, still really playing devil's advocate from the initial postings... exactly. If you want to make it for yourself... it will not be as expensive as going for a "silk screen + professional company + run of 1000 boards + Q&A, programming, testing, etc." kind of thing. And if you're like Erv and you can master almost 100% of the process... you're even MORE golden.

Another example... BOP I... was essentially a TEST. A pilot, if you will. BOP II was even nuttier (yet different), and BOP III will someday be one crazy insane blast of a show...

But NONE of this could have happened had I decided: "What am I THINKING?! I mean... well... I'm not exactly Jackie Chan. Heck, I'm not even Ray Park. You know what... this isn't even really my ideas--they are GL's. What am I doing. I should stop this lunacy... there's no money in it... everyone's telling me I'm nuts... I'm gonna have to re-learn a back tuck... I doubt I could ever do a b-twist, let alone a CHURRO TWIST... and... and... I'm such a LOOOOSER."

And imagine if Edison did the same thing. Or Erv. Or the Wright Brothers. Or the Cohen Brothers with "The Matrix". Or GL... or Tim? That's right, TCSS Tim. Or Corbin? In fact, did you know Corbin was really one of the MAIN folks to even GET Tim interested in Luxeons? At first in addition to EL... but now... well... YOU do the math. :)

Anyhow, I'm GLAD... very GLAD you were inspired by Erv to take EE. I mean... *I* almost want to just go and do it, hahahah!!

LOL.

hambleta
03-30-2008, 02:30 PM
I just wanted to throw in another company that makes PCB's for a decent price. PCB123.com I've been using them to fabricate our modular PCB system for a heart pump we are doing research on. Their prices are fair especially when bought in bulk. On small boards the 2.5 oz copper costs the same as a 1oz copper board which is nice since 2.5 oz copper can take higher currents and are less likely to warp the silicon board as the temperatures rise.
So far the 7 different designs I have ordered have had zero flaws so they obviously have a decent fabrication system set up. Well thats all I have to add at the moment.