PDA

View Full Version : eBay boycott

Darth_DevilGuy
02-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I thought I'd post this up as I'm participating in it, if you want to help forward this around, eBay needs a wake up call. The message below was written by my brother, so I have something of a personal stake in this.

Hi Guys,

as you may or may not know, Ebay recently has stated plans to increase listing rates to a point where average sellers will see arate increase of 60%. While Ebay execs become rich at the tune of hundreds of millions, the antique dealers, the auto salvage guys and all the people that bring you all the cool stuff on Ebay will be forced to raise their prices on shipping and handling to compensate, and many may even be forced out of business...Also recently they have taken the ability away from sellers to leave feedback about users, while users can still leave feedback with no reprecussion for slander and thievery...

Thousands of honest dealers are banding together to fight ebay on this, and asking you to do your part by boycotting Ebay between February 18-25 http://www.myspace.com/boycottebay
If you value this free trade marketplace, and have any concern for the small businesses (like mine) who bring you great deals on Ebay, PLEASE BOYCOTT EBAY FEB 18-25 AND TELL EVERYONE YOU CAN TO DO THE SAME!!

This is no laughing matter EBAY is basically a monopoly, and I can tell you as a Seller, the fact that they own the largest credit handler as well (paypal) and charge high fee's there as well, the current fee's were only barely tolerable as they were. Between the two, they were making about 16% gross on all my sales...the new rules are pushing this much higher, and after my overhead for finding and purchasing items I sell, they will be possibly making more money of my items than I Do!! this could drive me and others out of business - not good for me, and if you ever even consider buying a single item on ebay, not good for you...

Please tell as many people about this as possible, hey, it makes great water-cooler conversation anyway....

-Dave

Malaki Skywalker
02-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Yet again prices rise... :roll:

Darth_DevilGuy
02-19-2008, 03:40 PM
honestly I hate this BS, ebay is showing a great profit, they don't need to up their charges. meanwhile there are alot of people who are trying to make a living through ebay that are going to get pushed out if this goes through, the only outcome from their current course is bad.

Barmic Rin
02-20-2008, 01:06 PM
I got a message saying they're reducing by like a third.

Sucks, but I still make more money selling from my collection on there than I would if I sold them to a collectors store.....

sekrogue1985
02-20-2008, 07:06 PM
wow i've never sold on ebay but i know that i've seen sellers that get horrid feedback about items that were used or even new like complaints about shipping prices or stuff. seriously if i was a seller i'd leave a horrid feedback. I like feed back it makes sellers more resonalble to help you out or make deals about items. I know there are stores that are small time that use ebay because they don't own a shop or a major industry like walmart have shut them out, or collectible stores that hardly ever sell anything because no one wants them or they do but never buy things. So the store closes and well it sucks. Ebay is that place for these sellers to sell their items. anywho i love ebay but this just bites I'm torn here I can't find any of my Kamen Rider and Super Sentai stuff anywhere else than ebay. I've noticed an increase i prices of items to make up for the fees and what not. regretfully i will try this boycott but with the new year and series and items from these shows i may not resist. and on another not i've seen sellers start posting links to an official online store that is not through ebay at all to counter this problem. once these are up i will use them and begin a boycott of ebay.

Darth_DevilGuy
02-21-2008, 12:53 AM
it's not so much the fee's that kill, they cut those by half saving sellers a whopping 5 cents per sale, it's the fact that they upped the percentage of the sale price they take. add the fact that they own paypal and charge high fees there too and it comes to about 16% of my brother's gross profit, it's essentially making it totally unfeasible to make his living doing what he does now, and they tell the sellers it's for their own good, well that's a load of bull, ebay has become a monopoly, in every last despicable sense of the word.

Sethski
02-22-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm with you on this, I think they're just getting a bit too greedy coz they have a monopoly on the online auction stuff - hopefully this will change with some alternatives like Amazon auctions and eBid getting their act together better and offering some real competition. I don't like the way they don't let you use Google Checkout as a payment option (because it competes with Paypal and offers a cheaper alternative) and say that this is in the interest of their users. Total BS!

I won't be stopping using eBay altogether, but I don't think I'll be selling on it anymore and I'll be checking alternative options first on the occasions when I might buy stuff from eBay.

And I'm boycotting them this week, too. :cool: