PDA

View Full Version : Apoxie Sculpt questions

X
02-16-2008, 07:28 PM
I know a few people have used apoxie sculpt on sabers and I have Questions before I try it.

If I use it on mhs parts does it adhere to the metal so that if I try to screw the pieces together is the apoxie sculpt going to stay on or just come off?

How easy is it to sculpt with?

How thin can you apply it without it breaking?

What type of paint do you use on it?

Thanks in advance

TorLinWaDur
02-16-2008, 10:30 PM
I personally haven't tried using Apoxie Sculpt.
Not sure. Im still trying to find future information about it.

but the website i went to was this one
http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/Apoxie_Sculpt/apoxie_sculpt.html

im still looking for more info.

Treadingwolf
02-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Apoxie sculpt will stick to almost anything it touches, no really you will have a heck of a time getting it off anything once you put it on. :P
It fairly easy to work with but it is very sticky so you will need a small cup of water to dab your finger(s) in to smooth it out where ever you want it to be smooth. Where ever you touch it will leave prints so you will need a way to support it while you apply the material. It carves out nicely too after it sets up. I used a dremel, a razor knife and a few other carving tools.
I would use a sink tube or something simular under it, i dont think it would stand up to a good hit or bad fall on its own unless you made the walls of it pretty thick.
I am using model paint and spray paint and having no problems.
Also make sure you have a way to open your saber back up incase you need to fix something later. ;)
Hope that helps you out a little, and good luck on your project. Can't wait to see it! :)

TorLinWaDur
02-16-2008, 11:44 PM
If you bake apoxie scuplt with the sink tube, will the sink tube lose its form or anything?

X
02-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Thx Treadingwolf I saw yours and really liked it, that's why I started another thread so not to hijack yours. I was thinking MHS parts and cutting the apoxie where the joints are before it cures. The reason I asked about thickness is because I was thinking along the lines of a symbiont taking over a lightsaber hilt. imagine this with a little red for a sith hilt.

http://www.jonlee.ca/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/sm3venom.jpg

TimeRender
02-17-2008, 03:18 AM
Torlin, Apoxie sculpt is an epoxy sculpting media, similar to greenstuff and brownstuff for those of you familiar with miniature sculpting. You don't bake epoxy, it cures itself.

TorLinWaDur
02-17-2008, 04:04 AM
Torlin, Apoxie sculpt is an epoxy sculpting media, similar to greenstuff and brownstuff for those of you familiar with miniature sculpting. You don't bake epoxy, it cures itself.

okay. im still not with these sculpting things. is there one that is a baking sculpting that bakes. which one should i use? im just trying to get the facts right, before starting my project up.

TimeRender
02-17-2008, 04:24 AM
No, you won't want to use sculpey or any other sculpting medium that requires baking because they tend to shrink, and therefore crack. Mediums like Sculpey also tend to be brittle after they cure. Epoxy mediums like Apoxie Sculpt are much better suited for this type of work because they are self curing, do not shrink, and are extremely durable.

Darth Lars
02-17-2008, 04:26 AM
is there one that is a baking sculpting that bakes.
The sculpting clays that you bake in your kitchen oven are called polymer clays. The most common brands are Sculpey, Fimo and Cernit. They do not stick to anything.

Apoxie is a epoxy clay. You take equal amounts of two types of clays and knead them together. Then you get one or two hours of sculpting time before it starts to harden. They do stick to just about everything.

Some polymer clays can be quite brittle after baking but stay a little bit rubbery. Others become a little bit flexible. Epoxy clays become hard like stone and will break before it flexes.

TimeRender
02-17-2008, 04:35 AM
I'd also like to emphasize what Treadingwolf said in his post. Epoxy putty can be very sticky and very firm. You may want to make a few small pieces as practice before you start covering a lightsaber with the stuff. Once you get it on your hilt it isn't going to come off, so you can't afford to make many mistakes. Keep your fingers and your tools wet, and don't expect it to be as easy to work with as clays or polymers. While I haven't used Apoxie, I have used the green and brown varieties of Kneadatite countless times before. In many ways it feels less like clay and more like chewing gum.

Edit: Cold, hard chewing gum... But nevertheless wonderful stuff and the best choice for this type of application.

TorLinWaDur
02-17-2008, 04:41 AM
So... in my project. Id wish to mod around a sink tube with Apoxie Sculpt which i think is better than super sculpey, am i right? I wish i had the right information about scuplting. i was lead astray i think.

TimeRender
02-17-2008, 04:59 AM
Yes, you will want to use Apoxie Sculpt or something like it. Just out of curiosity, who told you that you should use Sculpey?

TorLinWaDur
02-17-2008, 05:50 AM
Yes, you will want to use Apoxie Sculpt or something like it. Just out of curiosity, who told you that you should use Sculpey?

a person named mark (not sure if he has username here).

strengthofrage
02-17-2008, 06:49 AM
I made the mistake of trying to use Super Sculpey a few months ago for this same type of saber project. It did not work and I had to throw it away. Like everyone has said, it doesnt stick, it shrinks and it is really brittle.

ArkaiHalon
02-17-2008, 07:05 AM
As for durability, In nearly 3 months of rough play with my son, the only areas i've had any dabage on are unsupported detail areas, and any joint area that flexes to much (where my hand guard meets the sink tube, and the seam where I left the blade holder outside of the sink tube). In both cases, the clay is very thin in the first place, so I wasn't surprised to see very small hair line cracks. I'll post pics in the protosaber 2 thread and show you what I mean.

Treadingwolf
02-17-2008, 09:41 AM
X

That symbiote (sp) idea would be pretty sweet! I was gonna try something simular but changed my mind while i was sketching ideas.

Mi Gin Gonn
02-17-2008, 12:17 PM
If you bake apoxie scuplt with the sink tube, will the sink tube lose its form or anything?
no, but you might lose your house. heh-heh...FIRE FIRE!!!!