PDA

View Full Version : Can a hilt work this way?

Nightwing
02-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Hey, I was wondering if my design for an LED saber hilt is possible, if constructed like this:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/NightWing726/Lightsabers/Aeren_cutaway.jpg

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Madcow
02-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Now you're speaking my language - one of a kind lightsabers!

Nice design...
It is possible, I would reccomend machining some of the parts - particularly the pommel. The switch will have to be small, and you might want to take a look at my LED module (ONLY IF TIM'S STUFF WON'T WORK FOR YOU). My module is designed to fit inside 1" inside diameter aluminum tube. I can show you how to make one.
http://www.freewebs.com/genesis_sabers/led%20module.JPG

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

Strydur
02-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Nightwing...I could do a custom MHS hilt for you that you could just slide the cutout sink tube over.

When I get more blade holders that is.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Darth Frieds
02-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Hey nightwing,
what do you use to make that hilt design on your computer?

I have surrendured to the ways of the darkside. Fear is my ally

Darth Frieds
02-10-2006, 09:27 PM
That is a really nice design by the way, Lucas would be impressed.

Nightwing
02-10-2006, 09:33 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

Nightwing...I could do a custom MHS hilt for you that you could just slide the cutout sink tube over.

When I get more blade holders that is.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">That would RULE!!!
So, it'd be a 1.25'' MHS hilt? Cool. How would I do the pommel, then, if it's inside the tube? Would I just go without the pommel on the inside tube, and put a regular MHS pommel on the bottom of the 1.5'' tube (using an MHS adapter)?
Which reminds me... are you going to have any other MHS pommels anytime soon? If so, I'd like one like the one in my picture (it's basically a cone with the end cut off).

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Darth Frieds

Hey nightwing,
what do you use to make that hilt design on your computer?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Microsoft Word 2003. The absolute WORST program to use for drawing. I only use it for sabers because it's really good with autoshapes, and I've had about three years worth of practice with it.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Darth Frieds

That is a really nice design by the way, Lucas would be impressed.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Thanks!
It's actually the 8th version of that particular hilt. One of my best.

I think we should have a "saber design pictures" thread, for those of us who, for one reason or another, can't craft them in the real world.
What do you think, Strydur?

Strydur
02-10-2006, 10:52 PM
I meant use the regular MHS hilt which the sink tube slides over. I would make custom endcaps for you. You would cut out the sink tube and just install it over the MHS hilt.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Nightwing
02-10-2006, 11:04 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

I meant use the regular MHS hilt which the sink tube slides over. I would make custom endcaps for you. You would cut out the sink tube and just install it over the MHS hilt.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Ahh... So you're saying the regular MHS parts fit inside the sink tube...
i'm wondering, though, about just how much wider the sunk tube is than the MHS hilt.
Would there be any room in between the tube and the MHS for a layer of grip material?
And would the endcap also be custom-made to line up with the edge of the sink tube?

Nightwing
02-11-2006, 02:35 PM
I was thinking I might get it to work this way:
http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/plans02/SaberStyle2Intro.htm
look especially at the sections "preparing the grip tube" and "assembling the grip"

Madcow
02-11-2006, 02:45 PM
That'll work,
What do you have in mind for the grip material?

MC

Nightwing
02-11-2006, 04:44 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Madcow

That'll work,
What do you have in mind for the grip material?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">No idea. Something thin, probably not textured, and sorta soft. I wanna go to a hardware store when I get the parts, so I can see what kind of material will work best.

If I can get the MHS hilt idea to work, then I'll definitely do that, as it seems to fit better. If I went with the Big Yellow Box design, then I'd have to do a lot of work with getting the layering between the tubes right.
If I can get just one layer of grip material in-between the sink tube and the MHS hilt, I'll do that.

EDIT-
Oh, and I still need something to use for a box-style switch.
I can do the actual switch part, as well as the activation panel covering it. I just need a metal box that fits the 1.5'' tube...

Jedi Ranger
02-11-2006, 05:20 PM
You going to stick with the Superman logo on the switch cover?[;)]

<center>http://www.members.shaw.ca/Jedi.Ranger/images/Jedi_Ranger_Banner_4.1.jpg
http://www.members.shaw.ca/Dahak/</center>

Madcow
02-11-2006, 06:46 PM
I have a couple suggestions...
First, I reccomend a foam grip - you can get a sheet of black foam/rubber at Michaels craft store real cheap. It's less than 1/8" thick and can be cut and formed. You would need to make sure your metal edges next to it were sanded/filed and not sharp. Form it aound your inner tube/MHS and voila.

As for the box, you can get channel aluminum at any metal store. Cut it with a hacksaw or mitre saw.

Would love to see a pic when you're finished

MC

Nightwing
02-11-2006, 09:45 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Madcow

I have a couple suggestions...
First, I reccomend a foam grip - you can get a sheet of black foam/rubber at Michaels craft store real cheap. It's less than 1/8" thick and can be cut and formed. You would need to make sure your metal edges next to it were sanded/filed and not sharp. Form it aound your inner tube/MHS and voila.

As for the box, you can get channel aluminum at any metal store. Cut it with a hacksaw or mitre saw.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Very good advice. I'll do that.
Hmm... I have literally no experience with metalworking, electronics, or anything like that, so it might be difficult to do the box like you're saying. I learn quick, though ;).

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Jedi Ranger

You going to stick with the Superman logo on the switch cover?[;)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Haha! You noticed!
Yes, I'm probably going to etch it out of translucent red plastic and maybe put an LED behind it.

Nightwing
02-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Okay, after looking at all the possiblilities, I've decided to go with the sink-tube-over-MHS idea.

So, Strydur, just to clarify, it'll be an MHS with the blade holder machined down to fit inside the sink tube, while the pommel stays the same?

What about the switch hole? On my design, the hole for the switch is about at the middle of the hilt, while the MHS's hole is near the top. I could change my design to where the switch is at the bottom... Could I just flip the middle MHS part upside down?
Unless of course you wanna make a custom MHS tube for me. That'd be cool too.[;)] lol

Strydur
02-23-2006, 02:34 PM
you would flip the tube so the switch is near the bottom. Or cover the switch hole and make a new one wherever you want it. I can make a end cap more like what you need also.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Nightwing
02-23-2006, 02:49 PM

you would flip the tube so the switch is near the bottom. Or cover the switch hole and make a new one wherever you want it. I can make a end cap more like what you need also.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Awesome!!!

The pommel's supposed to be cut at about a 60 degree angle, if that helps.

So, aside from the LED MHS hilt, the sink tube, and the complete blade, what else will I need? (I mean <u>everything</u>. I don't wanna sit down to build it and then realize I forgot to go buy a couple of screws.)

Nightwing
02-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Oh, one more thing: How am I gonna keep the sink tube from sliding around on the MHS?

LAN-ED-TUL
02-26-2006, 10:27 PM
i think if you have it so the holder is sticking out past end of handle and then the pommel screwed on the sinktube when cut to right length, will be held in place between the holder and pommel.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Nightwing
02-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Well, my holder is inside the sink tube...

LAN-ED-TUL
02-27-2006, 12:10 PM
hmm, then youd have to use a screw to hold it on the emmitter end then it looks like. use something cool like a button head or look at the hardware store for some of those wierd headed screws. ya know, like a 2 lil hole deal that takes a bit with prongs on it to turn screw. my buddy used them on his and it looks neat on there. futuristic lookin. just an idea i thought i'd throw out.

Nightwing
02-27-2006, 02:51 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LAN-ED-TUL

hmm, then youd have to use a screw to hold it on the emmitter end then it looks like. use something cool like a button head or look at the hardware store for some of those wierd headed screws. ya know, like a 2 lil hole deal that takes a bit with prongs on it to turn screw. my buddy used them on his and it looks neat on there. futuristic lookin. just an idea i thought i'd throw out.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Great idea!

Could I possibly just use the thumb screw?

Oh, and is there a way to make the thumb screw not stick out as much? Or would I just have to get a different screw?

LAN-ED-TUL
02-28-2006, 11:52 AM
if you used just a TS to hold the sink pipe to the MHS hilt, it might work, but i think a small screw or bolt like i said would be better.

and as far as TS sticking out, find a nut that fits it at the hardware store. thread it on all the way, then use a dremel or grinder or even a hacksaw would suffice and cut off the end to make it as long as you need it to be. then unscrew the nut off the end. the nut will clear the thread when it comes off. i do all my shortening of bolts like this, and it works every time.

hope that answers your question. i still would use a cool lookin screw head to fasten the SP to the MHS tho. if you look in the miniture screws area of the hardware store you'll find them. there a few different types of heads they have. using some plain ole hex, phillips, or slot on a saber, just looks yucky.

Nightwing
02-28-2006, 03:43 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LAN-ED-TUL

if you used just a TS to hold the sink pipe to the MHS hilt, it might work, but i think a small screw or bolt like i said would be better.

and as far as TS sticking out, find a nut that fits it at the hardware store. thread it on all the way, then use a dremel or grinder or even a hacksaw would suffice and cut off the end to make it as long as you need it to be. then unscrew the nut off the end. the nut will clear the thread when it comes off. i do all my shortening of bolts like this, and it works every time.

hope that answers your question. i still would use a cool lookin screw head to fasten the SP to the MHS tho. if you look in the miniture screws area of the hardware store you'll find them. there a few different types of heads they have. using some plain ole hex, phillips, or slot on a saber, just looks yucky.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Sounds good. I'll do that.

So beside the sink tube, MHS kit, and blade, what else will I need? I read that the MHs doesn't come with a thumbscrew...

LAN-ED-TUL
03-01-2006, 01:56 AM
well, im guessing you already have your led, led lens and led lens holder. and i think the mhs kit has the switch, battery holder and a resistor if not using a hasbro board, i think you might have all you need to start it. i cant remember what all was in the mhs kit for sure. but if you got your sink pipe and something to cut it with, electrical or heatshrink for connections. drill, bits, screwdriver, i think your set.
oh and those screws too, taps for TS and anything else you wanna use bolts on.

Nightwing
03-01-2006, 11:18 AM

well, im guessing you already have your led, led lens and led lens holder. and i think the mhs kit has the switch, battery holder and a resistor if not using a hasbro board, i think you might have all you need to start it. i cant remember what all was in the mhs kit for sure. but if you got your sink pipe and something to cut it with, electrical or heatshrink for connections. drill, bits, screwdriver, i think your set.
oh and those screws too, taps for TS and anything else you wanna use bolts on.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Nope. I haven't gotten anything off TCSS yet.

I have a good dremel, as well as a drill, screwdriver, and all that.
I'll have to get drill bits, as well as heatshrink. Oh, and those screws you were mentioning.

UGH. This is why I wanted a checklist...

Thanks for all your help, LAN-ED.

LAN-ED-TUL
03-01-2006, 05:24 PM
well, i hope you now got an idea of what you will need then. from the stuff i mentioned. and if you dont have it, a soldering iron and solder too.

Nightwing
03-02-2006, 09:50 AM

well, i hope you now got an idea of what you will need then. from the stuff i mentioned. and if you dont have it, a soldering iron and solder too.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I think I have a soldering iron. And where would I find solder?

xwingband
03-02-2006, 09:56 AM
An electronics store. Even radio shack which has gone down hill will have some. Home Depot or Lowes should have some too in the plumbing section. Get the LEAD FREE kind! It's thicker and harder to deal with but there's no potential for hacking blood if you've been around the fumes too long, and in the long run it's better to learn on. Nasty stuff...[:(!]

<center>http://www.geocities.com/ghost_soldiers_unit/gs_banner_trans2.gif
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Nightwing
03-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Cool.

I think what I'll do is build the saber now, with the switch changed to a regular button and moved down to the bottom of the saber. That way I won't have to do any more drilling than I have to, and I won't have to get into all the confusion of building the activation box.

Sometime later (around my birthday [:)]), I'll get some new parts (including a new Sink Tube) and drill a new hole more towards the middle. Hopefully I'll also be able to do that switchbox thing, too.

I just don't wanna mess around too much, considering it's my first saber.

supertrogdor
03-02-2006, 05:07 PM
it may be your first saber, but you might also take into consideration, that your first saber is a learning experience, therefore you should make it look good, and as good as possible, but accept that you will make mistakes that you can minimize by being well informed, but you will discover things you will wish you had done differently. It happens with most projects, sometimes not for a while after completion, but it really is inevitable
accept it as a first run, and continually work on improving your skills
Cheers

LAN-ED-TUL
03-02-2006, 05:15 PM
well put trog, couldnt have said it better

Nightwing
03-02-2006, 08:00 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by supertrogdor

it may be your first saber, but you might also take into consideration, that your first saber is a learning experience, therefore you should make it look good, and as good as possible, but accept that you will make mistakes that you can minimize by being well informed, but you will discover things you will wish you had done differently. It happens with most projects, sometimes not for a while after completion, but it really is inevitable
accept it as a first run, and continually work on improving your skills
Cheers
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Oh, sure. I'll be sure to finish my saber completely; just not all at once.

LAN-ED-TUL
03-02-2006, 10:09 PM
huh?

GFORCE13
03-03-2006, 05:54 AM
So True since a Saber will never truly be finished there are always future upgrades and changes, I am toying with the Idea of eventually going back and adding sound to my first 2 El Blades

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

Nightwing
03-03-2006, 09:01 AM

huh?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I'm saying I <u>will</u> finish it completely, I just don't wanna throw myself into more than I can handle the first time around.

LAN-ED-TUL
03-03-2006, 11:18 AM
oh ok, ya threw me there.

GFORCE13
03-04-2006, 01:49 AM
Me Too didn't catch that either.

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

LAN-ED-TUL
03-04-2006, 01:51 AM
shew, glad i wasnt the only one scratchin my head.