PDA

View Full Version : Harry potter style wand torch idea...

Reaver
02-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Hello!
I am making a couple of torch wand concepts from a lux 3 emitter, and also trying out a LXCL-PWT1 Luxeon PWT micro 2mm lux.

I'm using a peice of decorative bamboo because its hollow (to put AAAs in) and has a woddy varnish on it. I know the replica wands you can get have a kind of shake sensor similar to MRFX or Sabercore concept inside it somehow, so the light comes on when its given a swish of the wrist.

It would be cool to have the whole "lumos" voice activation thing, but no idea how to work that into such a thin thing.

Actually I was wondering if anyone knew of any way I could put the movement sensitive on/off switch like the others and where to get something, or how to make something like that...?

Otherwise I might dismantle one of the plastic ones with the swish sensor and see what its made of.

cheers!
-Reaver

DarthFender
02-14-2008, 10:40 AM
That sounds like the way to go. "When in doubt, reverse engineer"

None of the saber cores I have seen are small enough to use in a prop sized wand. But if money is no object we have several electronics geniuses on the forum. You could drop a PM to Erv, or Corbin to see if they might be interested in creating such a thing. In concept its really simple just a dimmer that works on a momentary switch. You could use a clash sensor from a Hasbro saber as the switch as ling as you don't mind tapping the wand to turn it on or off.

I'm still wondering which is deadlier, a Force Choke or the Avada Kadavra.

And I have one more piece of advice... don't let your Disarming Charm give you away.

TimeRender
02-14-2008, 01:43 PM
You might be interested in this instructable.

http://www.instructables.com/id/A-really-magic-Harry-Potter-wand-for-Lumos-and-Rev/

DarthFender
02-14-2008, 10:40 PM
That's a grade A tutorial TimeRender. Good Find.

TimeRender
02-14-2008, 10:54 PM
I found that a while back because I was considering making another wand for myself. My last one was made with a wooden dowel that I tapered by hand with a knife and a wooden christmas tree ornament that I picked up at a craft store for the handle. The tapering took a little while, but the rest of it went together in just a few minutes. When I make my next wand I am going to include the LED like they did, but I am still going to use a dowel instead of rolled paper like they did in the tutorial. I'm going to start by splitting it in half and then dremeling out a groove in the center for the wires. When that is done I am going to glue the two halves back together with a narrow worm of low-temp wax filling the groove to prevent the glue from seeping in. I will let the glue set for a few days before tapering it by hand, and then I will carefully heat it to remove the wax. The handle will be custom turned for this one, and drilled out hollow for the batteries.

TorLinWaDur
02-15-2008, 01:41 AM
That is one call project.... thats like when i have nothing better to do.