PDA

View Full Version : MHS/DIY Saber Wiki

BhujangiJedi
02-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Is anybody interested in hosting (Tim?) and/or contributing to an MHS-focused wiki? This forum is an excellent resource, but a forum is best for on-going discussions. A wiki would be better for a constantly evolving reference. As people bounce ideas off each other and experiment in the forums, new "standard" ways of doing things evolve. It's hard for a newcomer to find everything - especially since all the links in the Thread Index and FAQ died in the forum upgrade.

I would personally be happy to fill a wiki with everything that I've learned, but my experience is very limited - I've only got two unmodified MR Anakins and two MHS sabers (both identical and built together).

Malaki Skywalker
02-11-2008, 04:44 AM
Speaking of that me and Tom Starkiller are making a Wiki like site for custom saber building ;)

Mi Gin Gonn
02-11-2008, 04:46 AM
yeah, ok, i'll chip in with my somewhat-limited knowledge. actually i've tried to find led sabers on wiki a couple of times. can't believe even ultrasabers isn't listed.

Enolmano
02-11-2008, 07:22 AM
so list it!

Novastar
02-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Great idea... how funny, I was JUST thinking about all of this kind of thing three days ago!

While you're at it, wiki-list BOP, heheheh ;) lol

xwingband
02-11-2008, 08:33 AM
About a year ago I was writing a comprehensive MHS guide... I may pick it up again for a new saber.

I don't like the idea of a wiki, because anyone can write to it and it'll just end up handicapping noobs.

EDIT: To explain in depth I was writing a "Not-so-Basic MHS LED tutorial." In it I was going through design, electronics and building it with pics. I wanted to do appendixes for alternate options too, like differing tubes, finish options and electronics setups.

Unfortunately, the saber I was making for that happened to be right before the death of my dad. The last time I saw him was to help get me access to some equipment to work on it. I never properly finished the saber and it's still at home.

Darth_DevilGuy
02-11-2008, 10:41 AM
:( dude thats a bummer...

on the topic of a wiki, I'd happily contribute, you can set up wiki's so only authorized persons can contribute, so I don't see a problem with bad info, just need to limit the contributors.

BhujangiJedi
02-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Xwing, sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you are able to find peace.

The optimist in me would hope that the DIY saber community is friendly enough to keep a clean wiki with accurate information, even with open, anonymous editing. However, if problems arise, it's easy to switch the wiki to authenticated editing only, and control who can edit what.

I don't have hosting space and haven't set up a wiki before, but I am a programmer and have worked on access-controlled web apps for years, so I'm sure I could manage a wiki just fine, if needed.

I'm happy to provide technical help installing & managing a wiki or filling the wiki with (my limited) information.

Xwing, I suspect a lot of people would really appreciate the advanced MHS guide you've been working on. I think it would be great to have both basic MHS building and advanced topics.

xwingband
02-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Ehh, thanks but don't worry about that. I was just reflecting, it's been over a year.

I'll pick the guide up again. It'll deal with designing a custom parts, overlays, anodizing and a crystal chamber with a CF. It will be a nice saber as I'm going slow and I'm not really compromising.

BhujangiJedi
02-11-2008, 04:46 PM
I hope this gains some steam from other folks, but if anyone's interested:
http://lswiki.freehostia.com/wiki/

Anyone can pop in and edit. A free host is probably not a very good solution, though. Feel free to play around, but don't count on this being permanent. It's running the latest MediaWiki (which is what wikipedia.org runs on), so if it does actually get some decent content, it probably wouldn't be too hard to transfer the database contents to another host if someone can set up something better.

I wonder if Tim has peeked in on this thread... does your host have PHP5 & MySQL 4, Tim? Up for hosting a wiki? :)

TorLinWaDur
02-17-2008, 01:34 AM
is there gonna be a link on wookiepedia?
or an article on there for MHS/DIY Lightsaber ?