PDA

View Full Version : Good SW books?

GrimaOllak
02-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi all. I've been reading a ton of the SW books, and I'm wondering if there are any that you folks found to be better than others?

I haven't really been reading in any sort of order, though I did read the Force Heretic trilogy in order. My conundrum is, I'm interested in reading about the Jedi, from Padawan to knight. What I mean is, I want to read about what it's like for one of the chosen children to grow up in the Jedi academy. To learn how to reach out and touch the Force, learn to use a lightsaber, etc. So far, though, I haven't seen any of that in any sort of detail.

Therefore, do any of the books have this? I'm sick to death of reading about aspects of Star Wars that I don't particularly care about (piloting X-wings, solving domestic disputes on foreign worlds, politics, etc.).

Devilstar2k2
02-09-2006, 11:32 PM
I just read Dark Lord, it was my first SW novel. I wasn't crazy about it, but it was a quick and fun read. It chronicals Vaders first assignments right after Episode III. There were some pretty cool events and fights in it. It'd actually play out to be an OT type of movie, if it were to ever hit the big screen.

Not quite what you are looking for... I know... But thats all that I got for ya. [:p]

EDIT-

I guess the main reason that I was turned off by it was this one cheesey, and useless plot point. I won't post it (for spoiler reasons), but anyone thats read it should know what I'm talking about.

Mur-Pa DiLos
02-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Basically the books by Kevin J Anderson and Timothy Zhan are the best of the best. But basically, if George signed off on it it's pretty good. I haven't found a bad one yet and I'm just going through them in chronological order. BTW does anyone have an official up to date order on these books? I have Tatootine Ghost but I was wondering if anyone had something more up to date than that.[:D]

Madcow
02-10-2006, 12:27 AM
"Shatterpoint" by Matthew Stover.
It's the best one I've read. It's about Mace Windu.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

Mur-Pa DiLos
02-10-2006, 12:44 AM
Shatterpoint was sweet, totally agree with you on that one![:D]

xwingband
02-10-2006, 09:02 AM
The Stover books are good stuff if you like character development and philosophy. If action is your thing stay away from them.

Here's my recommendations:
For action- X-wing series
For plot (and a good starter if you haven't read others)- Zahn books (Thrawn trilogy and duology)
For characters and Philosophy- Stover's books (Shatterpoint and Traitor in the NJO)

I haven't kept up with the Prequel era books as much as I'd like to, but for the otherwise I've got them all. Look at the timeline in the covers and I have maybe 95-98% of all of them.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Nightwing
02-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Read them in release order, not in chronological order. Sometimes they change little things in the timeline as they write more books, so it's better to just read them in the order they were published. Unfortunately I don't have a release order list handy, but I know that the first ones "officially" released were Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command).
After that, I believe the next is "Truce at Bakura", then, a comic book called "Dark Empire", and then "The Jedi Academy Trilogy".

xwingband
02-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Yup, avoid the ones released later in the Batnam years. Darksaber, Planet of the Twilight, Children of the Jedi, etc... They were released in response to the popularity of the earlier books and are subpar.

The thrawn trilogy wasn't the first. It was a rebirth really after a long absence of any books. I agree though that release order is an important aspect.

dbraxton9
02-10-2006, 10:24 AM
scrap the books for a couple of days and get the Star Wars Radio Drama from NPR. It's by far the best star wars ANYTHING ever produced. It's a 6 1/2 hour indulgence with the scene of kenobi training luke on the falcon lasting 25 minutes. if you dig the force and you dig the inner power struggles of the Imperial elite, you really really must check this out. and if you still want a good book, try the old Splinter of the Mind's Eye that everyone thought was going to be the 3rd installment of the trilogy instead of Return of the Jedi.

"Size matters not. Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

Nightwing
02-10-2006, 10:25 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dbraxton9

and if you still want a good book, try the old Splinter of the Mind's Eye that everyone thought was going to be the 3rd installment of the trilogy instead of Return of the Jedi.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Splinter of the Mind's Eye? Are you sure? That book is set between episodes IV and V...
As far as I know, it was to be Lucas's plan for a TV sequel to Star Wars if it didn't do too well in the box office.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

The thrawn trilogy wasn't the first. It was a rebirth really after a long absence of any books. I agree though that release order is an important aspect.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yes, I just meant that they were the first officially released ooks to continue the story after ROTJ, and they were a sort of "rebirth". Kind of a "new genesis" for the SW novels.
If you start with those, you won't be at all lost in the continuity, and most of the books (even some later-released prequels) are sort of based off of it. Nearly every novel has some point where the characters shudder for a second as they remember "Thrawn" or "Thrawn's campaign against the New Republic".

The Plague
02-10-2006, 01:00 PM
I have read the entire New Jedi Order series (20 something books) and most of the other star wars books. I think the new jedi order is best, but that is just my opinion.

Those who live by the sword, will die by the sword

Nightwing
02-10-2006, 01:54 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by The Plague

I have read the entire New Jedi Order series (20 something books) and most of the other star wars books. I think the new jedi order is best, but that is just my opinion.

Those who live by the sword, will die by the sword
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Aw yeah, the NJO is great! But it's almost the last in chronological AND release order, so it's not necessarily good to start with those.

Tenric Starkindler
02-10-2006, 05:01 PM
I have read many of them......long ago when first released mostly.
As mentioned above T. Zahn and K. Anderson are always good reads.

"Shatterpoint" was a very good read as well. Mace Windu almost took Obi-Wan's place as my favorite Jedi after reading that one.

MAN there is a fight scene in there I would LOVE to see on the big screen....Mace vs. like seven or eight Clone trooper gunships....
Now I'm gonna have to read it again tonight......a real good Whup A$$ fight.....

Reality often interferes with what would otherwise be an idyllic delusion.

Mi Gin Gonn
02-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Ok, not a novel, but if you can track down the original The Star Wars Sourcebook, by all means do so. It was meant to be a companion to the old roleplaying game, but is a fantastic resource in and of itself. It was the first book that explained all the technical stuff in the SW universe.

"Chaka, call off Dawson, will ya?!"

xwingband
02-10-2006, 05:20 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mi Gin Gonn
Ok, not a novel, but if you can track down the original The Star Wars Sourcebook, by all means do so. It was meant to be a companion to the old roleplaying game, but is a fantastic resource in and of itself. It was the first book that explained all the technical stuff in the SW universe.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Do mean the D6 roleplay? I haven't been able to track one of those down. I have a few D6 guides and their good stuff. They covered a lot of things the D20 didn't.

Erik
02-10-2006, 06:24 PM
I liked books that really tried to show how the force worked. In "The Courtship of Princess Leia" Luke's unconcious connection was very emotional to me the first time I read it. The Jedi Academy series, including "I, Jedi", of which I am blessed by having an autographed copy, follow similar emotional tracks that I relate closely to.

nich
02-10-2006, 06:44 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by GrimaOllak

Hi all. I've been reading a ton of the SW books, and I'm wondering if there are any that you folks found to be better than others?

I haven't really been reading in any sort of order, though I did read the Force Heretic trilogy in order. My conundrum is, I'm interested in reading about the Jedi, from Padawan to knight. What I mean is, I want to read about what it's like for one of the chosen children to grow up in the Jedi academy. To learn how to reach out and touch the Force, learn to use a lightsaber, etc. So far, though, I haven't seen any of that in any sort of detail.

Therefore, do any of the books have this? I'm sick to death of reading about aspects of Star Wars that I don't particularly care about (piloting X-wings, solving domestic disputes on foreign worlds, politics, etc.).

I would have to disagree with reading the books in chronologicol order, and by release date. I started with the Jedi accademy books. Luke takes on his first apprentace in this set I belive. I then read Vector Prime by R.A. Salvatore which was the first book in the NJO. I'm currently about 6 books in. I know that acouple of the characters in this set of books have a lot of discusion about the force and what it means to each of the jedi. AS far as a Padawan to knight goes I would start with the Jedi academy books and then keep reading about Jaina and Jacen.

xwingband
02-10-2006, 07:34 PM
If you want a better taste of it in one book try I, Jedi which is Corran's experirences learning the force. He doesn't stay at the academy long, but it's some.

StrangeWings
02-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Well as soon as I pick up Outbound flight that will be my 64th SW book. Shatterpoint was good. I also liked Cloak of Deception...good twist to it. As for following a jedi growing up etc...I can't think of a certain series that does that. The biggest thing that I have run into is descrepencies in time lines and events. For example if you read I Jedi (another favorite, it's about Corran Horn) then read the Jedi Academy Trilogy they take place at the same time and have many of the same events in them. Only thing is that they will have characters in on that were not in the other. In I Jedi there is a part in a cave at the academy with luke and the other students. Corran saves the day. In the Jedi Academy trilogy he's not even mentioned. I would say that if you like SW there won't be a book that is bad. Just some may be better than others. I didn't think I would like the Medstar series being more about doctors and clone troopers but I felt it was very good as well. I have had no problem with jumping around in the time line. I can't wait for the new series..I want to see if Jacen goes to the darkside.[}:)] I think he will be truley a force (no pun intended) to be reconed with.

desertscorpion
02-11-2006, 08:37 AM
I've read a few SW books. They were pretty good, but I always felt the authors had "handcuffs" on their subject matter. I really wish they would just blow it up with new ideas. Go way back in time. Focus more on the people and individual planets, and not always on the fate of the Whole Galaxy. I'm not a writer, but I'd always imagined a scenario where the rulers of a particular planet, let's say a king, would send his heir to the temple to be taught the ways of the jedi when that child was very young, and then that jedi would return in his teens as an ambassador between that kingdom and the council. A kind of crown prince who's a jedi. Also, acting as a kind of "Merlin" to his father. I could imagine this taking place on many types of planets in different kingdoms. Or even imagine a king who was very pro-jedi who had twin sons or three sons, let's say,and that all of them trained in jedi ways. And how they would all have their own styles and personalities.
This is just one of many ideas I see for Star Wars. And many might argue that there's so much out there already, but I really believed that the potential has only barely been tapped.

xwingband
02-11-2006, 09:46 AM
You just described Tenel Ka, former Dathomir witch turned Queen Mother of the Hapes Cluster.

desertscorpion
02-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Hmm. Didn't read that one. Cool.

xwingband
02-11-2006, 10:31 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by desertscorpion

It started in Courtship of Princess Leia as her parents met. Her mother was a Dathomir witch and father prince of Hapes. Long story short that's how she gained the force and royalty. Her story of training is in the "teen" (about 120 pages each) SW books (Young Jedi Knight series). Later in the NJO her mother dies and because of the women centered society of Hapes she is required to become the Queen mother.

Mi Gin Gonn
02-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Xwingband-

I'm not sure which one you were talking about, but the book I was referencing came out in 1987 from West End Games (old school man!)
It was basically the first book that explained how lightsabers work and what repulsorlift technology is, etc etc. It had a lot of humorous bits & stories in it too, like intercepted Imperial communications and stuff, and how the guy who gave Jabba the Hutt the Rancor as a present had the distinct honor of being the creature's first meal. [:D]

Here's a pic:
http://www.pen-paper.net/images/rpgdb/weg40002.jpg

xwingband
02-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Yup, that's the D6 rulebook. D6 means a game based on a six sided dice. West End Games had the SW lisence bought by Wizards of the Coast that turned it into a D20 system. Long story that RPG is now in the miniatures and is no longer paper based... You can still find the basic rulebook for the D20 stuff but anything else has been phased out and replaced by giving basic rules with the minis.

desertscorpion
02-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Actually, I'd still rather read about some dudes instead of a force witch or whatever.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by desertscorpion

It started in Courtship of Princess Leia as her parents met. Her mother was a Dathomir witch and father prince of Hapes. Long story short that's how she gained the force and royalty. Her story of training is in the "teen" (about 120 pages each) SW books (Young Jedi Knight series). Later in the NJO her mother dies and because of the women centered society of Hapes she is required to become the Queen mother.

xwingband
02-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Well, there are no "dudes" that have a story like that... she's not a force witch either. Her mother was, she was a fully trained knight before she had to take over as queen of the Hapes cluster.

desertscorpion
02-14-2006, 04:59 PM
You said she was a dathomir witch in your last reply, encyclopedia.

informalmyx
02-14-2006, 05:10 PM
i have about 40 books and all good it just depends on your on taste

<center>http://home.earthlink.net/~myxmyth/infomyx.jpg
"Many claim to have found serenity, and through serenity to have overcome anger. Such arrogance is astounding."</center>

xwingband
02-14-2006, 05:31 PM

EDIT: Oops, I see what you mean in that first reply about her. It was her mother that I meant. People makes mistakes. There's no need to name call over it.

GUFF
02-14-2006, 05:51 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by GrimaOllak

I have read and owned alot of Star Wars books in my time but before episode II hit the theatures I looked for as many prequel books as I could. Some are better than others but the group of books before episode to before episode III will probably give you the best picture of what you are asking for. The reason I don't suggest the new jedi academy books is they dont really show how a true group jedi trained (in the prime of the jedi)as Luke was doing alot of guesswork on how to train his students (Don't get wrong though, i like the new jedi academy books).

Unfortunately these books still have alot of the "boring" things that you listed above but I think they would give you the best picture of the jedi at their prime as far as training/procedures go. Example titles are (The titles I can remember that is): Rogue Planet, Cloak of Deception (As mentioned above), Episode I and II books, The Approaching Storm, and Darth Maul Shadow Hunter(One of my personal favs, Very strong padawan/master material as well as Good old sith warrior badness!). There are more that I have forgotten but this should be a good start. Hope this helps!

(Also I think there are some Dark Horse comics concernig the Kights of The Old Republic. If I am correct these could be a good spot to look to.)

"And Just Where Do You Think Your Going Rebel Scum?"

meiv4
02-15-2006, 02:54 AM
i loved the Zahn trilogy and duology (sp) the whole Thrawn plot was brilliance.

if you want a trip read "splinter of the minds eye" it was the first book published, bassically right after ep IV originally came out.

If you are going to read I, jedi i would suggest reading the x-wing series first, lots of background to I, jedi is in there.

as for the growing as a jedi thing, the young jedi knights series was bassed at a younger audience but i liked them when i was that age. all about jacen and jaina at the academy.

hmmm hmmmm whooosh hmmmm whooosh crackel

desertscorpion
02-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks. Sorry about the name calling. Listen, Xwingband, in response to your "What am I doing?" post from a while back...

Xwing,

You seem to have a lot of knowledge. A. Lot. And it isn't just star wars. You seem to be a jack of all trades, from what I can tell. That knowledge is great because other people can benefit from it. But, you can use the truth to injure. If you come off with an attitude of "Tell me something I don't know.", then that turns people away. Or, if your statements always have a barb to them (metaphorically speaking) then that will push people away. You could load a shotgun with good information and use it to injure someone. This is not one of those, "The truth hurts" issues. It's about being patient, considerate, and truly wanting to help someone, rather than blow them up. The people with "their hearts on their sleeves" are the thermometer for this because they are the ones who always say something, but that doesn't mean that others aren't bothered. Others just won't say anything. Please don't take offense to what I've said. If I didn't care I wouldn't say. By the way, don't mistake my colloquialisms and slang for lack of intelligence. I say, "dudes" and "rock on" all of the time. But I'm a pretty smart cookie, I just don't toot my horn. [8D]

EDIT: Oops, I see what you mean in that first reply about her. It was her mother that I meant. People makes mistakes. There's no need to name call over it.

xwingband
02-15-2006, 09:02 AM
No prob.[8D] I just thought the comment was a little ***ist. Other than Corran and recently Jacen I've thought the stories for the chicks were better.[:D]

desertscorpion
02-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah, it probably sounded a little ***ist, but didn't mean for it to be. If a guy is the main character, then is rounds out the "putting myself in his shoes experience" because I'm a dude. But, women as leading characters has never bothered me. Now a hutt might bother me, but not ladies. By the way, I never found a jedi/sith/whatever profile for you. I'm interested. But maybe I just didn't find it. If you don't have one, would you create one? It'd be cool.

No prob.[8D] I just thought the comment was a little ***ist. Other than Corran and recently Jacen I've thought the stories for the chicks were better.[:D]

xwingband
02-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Sure, I've generally stayed out of that stuff, but I can do. I'm not sure I want to be force user. I might start a new topic. My "alter ego" that I roleplay on the site in my sig. is a slicer soldier...

GrimaOllak
03-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Boy, you guys weren't kidding. I just got finished reading Shatterpoint, and it was AWESOME! One of the best books I've ever read.

Hmm... I've heard a lot about the Splinter of the Mind's Eye, maybe I'll try to pick that one up next.

Thanks for the info, folks! [:D]

xwingband
03-06-2006, 09:56 AM
I'd suggest reading Stover's non-star wars stuff too, mainly Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle. He's very character oriented for development but it's still suspensful.

<center>http://www.geocities.com/ghost_soldiers_unit/gs_banner_trans2.gif

Tenric Starkindler
03-06-2006, 07:10 PM
just scored a signed copy of Zahn's new OUTBOUND FLIGHT.
With a note to me as well..........!!!

Reality often interferes with what would otherwise be an idyllic delusion.

Devilstar2k2
03-11-2006, 07:23 AM
I gotta say thanks to the guys that recommended 'Shatterpoint'... Its an awesome book. It makes 'Dark Lord' look like an episode of Scooby Doo. [;)]

desertscorpion
03-11-2006, 07:58 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Devilstar2k2

I gotta say thanks to the guys that recommended 'Shatterpoint'... Its an awesome book. It makes 'Dark Lord' look like an episode of Scooby Doo. [;)]

Yeah, it was cool! There are a lot of parts in the book where it mentions Mace restraining his anger. I wished just one time he would've snapped into his own 'nam. But I guess that's the path of the darkside.

naashar
03-15-2006, 05:59 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Madcow

"Shatterpoint" by Matthew Stover.
It's the best one I've read. It's about Mace Windu.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

Yeah, I just picked that up yesterday (on the strength of this Forum, by the by), and I've already breezed through about half of it...great read, thus far.

You don't need to see any identification.

Devilstar2k2
03-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Shatterpoint reminds me a lot of the Clone Wars cartoons (Which I love). The only thing that bugs me, is how easily he's taken out by Palps in ROTS. It seems like he should have just taken the fall and lived, IMO.

EDIT-

I think I'm gonna read the ROTS novel (also by Stover) next... I wanna see if that sheds any light on the subject of Mace getting beaten so easily.

StrangeWings
03-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Yes it does. The fight is much more intense. It also brings up how Vapad is very close to the darkside. I thought the ROTS book was much better than the movie and I really like the movie. Just much more indepth.

Devilstar2k2
03-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Awesome.

I looked Stover up to see what other SW books he's written, and it looks like he's only done three: ROTS, Traitor, and Shatterpoint. Also, it said that his fight scenes are really well written due to the fact that he studies a few forms of martial arts.

I really like his style of writing, it barely slows down at all... And when it does slow down, its usually to give a vivid description of scenery/setting so I don't mind so much.

james3
03-15-2006, 09:16 PM
If ya haven't read the ROTS novel you are missing great stuff. Tons of detail, I read the book before the movie and I missed having certain details in the film but hey, that's how it goes.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

987654321a
03-15-2006, 10:52 PM
ive read a book about darth maul called "darth maul Sith lord" or somethin like that.

The Dark Side will kill you
www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com
http://www.imageuploader.org/uploads/598a8186b2.gif

naashar
03-16-2006, 09:08 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

if you want a trip read "splinter of the minds eye" it was the first book published, bassically right after ep IV originally came out.

Yes, yes. Very good. That was when I first got a glimpse of how truly evil Vader could be. He really put it to Luke and Leia.

Just finished Shatterpoint. *gasp* Mace is official. Although, I think I would've liked to have seen Vestor catch a few 'saber strokes to the medulla oblongata. (Just finished watching Waterboy, too.)[:D]

But, I abso-tive-ly loved the whole "shatterpoint" aspect of his Force Awareness. That, and how the author had him agonizing over his so called failure at Geonosis. Sets an interesting scene when he's seemingly "over the edge" when confronting the Emperor and confronted by Anakin in ROTS. Maybe his awareness had everything coalescing around Palpatine and he was driven nearly mad with not wanting to make the same mistake he did with Dooku. Granted, I haven't read the novelization of ROTS, so it may have been covered/explained in that, but either way, it lends itself to a certain logic.

You don't need to see any identification.

bazuka
03-16-2006, 03:11 PM
This is kinda on subject...

I got both of the Star Wars Chronicles in the mail today. Two books, and the package was 17 pounds. I haven't looked through them much yet, but I'll let you know how informational they are.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/rshuck/empire1.jpg

Devilstar2k2
04-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Just finished ROTS... MUCH better than the movie, but if it weren't for the movie, I'd have to give the book a 5/10. Reason being, the settings were not very descriptive at all. But then again, I don't think it was meant to be a 'stand alone' book. I think was written to compliment the movie, which it does very well. Book + movie = 10/10

Starting the Thrawn cycle now, I'm about halfway through 'Heir'... So I'll post back when I finish.

meiv4
04-16-2006, 06:20 PM
thrawn > all or atleast i say so. damn pesky jedi ruining his plans for galactic domination.

mike-jon-sims
04-16-2006, 11:56 PM
a good friend recently gave me 3 jedi apprentice books (im a big obi-wan fan). does any one know how many of these books were made? havent gotten done with the 3 i have now but would like to be ready to read more if there is more in the series.

Mor-El Kesav
04-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Mace wasn't taken out easily at all by Sideous. He had Sideous totally defeated and was ready to deal the death blow when Anakin punked him completing his transition to the Dark Side. It took 2 Sith Lords (maybe 1.5 Sith Lords) to take out Master Windu. When you really look at it, Mace Windu did a better job than Yoda against Sideous since Yoda fought Sideous to a draw.

In the Empire Saga there are only 2 Jedi who have defeated 2 Sith each. Obi Wan Kenobi defeated both Darth Maul and Darth Vader while Anakin Skywalker defeated both Darth Tyrannus and Darth Sideous.

"Destroy the Sith we must!"
Master Yoda

james3
04-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I think it is safe to say that Mace was the kick-butt Jedi for the period. I think that there is a lot of opinion on how he lost but the fact is that with the lightsaber he was truly one bad m.....

Devilstar2k2
04-17-2006, 07:55 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mor-El Kesav

He had Sideous totally defeated and was ready to deal the death blow when Anakin punked him <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Mace never had Palpatine beat... Not even close... Palps was just messing around waiting for Anakin. He used himself as bait to bring Anakin over to the dark side.

Now, these aren't exact quotes, but they are pretty close. It went something like this:

"See? The Jedi are trying to take over.." "Help me, I'm getting... getting... weak, too weak.." "I have the power to save the ones you love"

Then as soon as Anakin made his decision, BAM! "UNLIMITED POWER!!" And poof... Mace was gone. The fight lasted a little longer in the book, but it was pretty much the same as the movie.

james3
04-17-2006, 08:02 PM
I don't doubt that Palps is a bad@$$ and his dark side force powers are extreme but I do think that blade for blade Mace had him and I do agree that he was predicting Anakin would show up but Palps loves the force powers, the saber to him I feel is an afterthought.

Mor-El Kesav
04-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Nope. Mace totally had Sideous down, beat him at saber fighting, took his best force lightening and turned back upon him, cooking him like a rotissary chicken. He was beaten, his ONLY hope was that he could goad Anakin into punking Mace, which of course he did. Only then did Sideous find the power to strike again at Mace. If Mace still held his lightsaber, Sideous would have been Sideous Sushi.

Master Yoda

Devilstar2k2
04-17-2006, 08:37 PM
The book says that the swordplay was at an impasse. Thats why Mace started looking for shatterpoints. He couldn't win by sword alone, until Palps wanted him to.

Palps then started to project fear so that Anakin could sense it, and 'help' him. If it weren't for that, I think the sword fight would have gone forever. The book never did say that the fear was genuine, just that Mace felt it in the force.

At least thats my take on the whole thing... Vaapad only brought Mace 'up to par' with Palps, but never surpassed him.

EDIT-

I have the book right here in front of me, BTW. [;)]

james3
04-17-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm with ya on the book mine is right behind me on the book case let me read that section again. I though that palps was manipulating the fight but Mace was still the superior swordsman

Devilstar2k2
04-17-2006, 08:46 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/xdm41/macerots.jpg

EDIT-

It's page 331 in the hardcover edition...

EDIT2-

Some points that I want to remind you guys of:

1. Palps killed the other Jedi Masters in a matter of seconds.
2. Palps showed no 'fear' until Anakin was in the room.
3. The whole thing was being taped, so it HAD to look like Mace was going to destroy Palps.
4. Mace couldn't even beat Kar Vastor in a fist fight using Vaapad. He even said, 'I didn't hold back, I just picked a fight that I knew that I had no chance of winning." And Kar Vastor was just a force sensitive, not a Sith Lord.

EDIT3-

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mor-El Kesav

When you really look at it, Mace Windu did a better job than Yoda against Sideous since Yoda fought Sideous to a draw.

The book also says that it wasn't a draw... It says that Yoda knew that 'he just didn't have what it takes to win', so he retreated instead. You can't wait for a new hope if you're dead, ya know?

Damn... I've really have become a Star Wars geek... [:o)]

james3
04-17-2006, 09:13 PM
I reckon we are both geeks, I just reread 327-335 and I guess it's just how we interept that section. It still reads to me like he was at a point where he could just keep dualing forever without breaking a sweat. Of course I do not think that the fear Mace sensed was from Palps and it was from Ani. I like how the book even does a better job with mace blocking the lightning but barely, and slowly losing, the force powers were wicked scary and he was asking Anakin for help.
I do think that yoda and palps were pretty close in force powers but yoda was wise with years, palps was stronger. I agree no draw just a retreat.

Devilstar2k2
04-17-2006, 09:17 PM
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. It doesn't really damage the idea of the fight either way in my mind. If Mace had the upper hand, thats cool. If Palps had the upper hand, thats cool too. I like all of the characters, afterall it is Star Wars... Right? [:p] I do think that Palps has become my favorite SW character though. [:D]

EDIT-

Also, I really like Talon Karrde from 'Heir'. I'm not done with the book yet, so its not 100% decided, but he's definitely grown on me as a cool character. The physical description says different, but I picture him as Jason Statham for some reason. I guess the personality just fits.

james3
04-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Well said dude. As far as Palpatine goes you have to have a little love for him, in the OT he was just the emperor so what big deal. Now he is the most persuasive, manipulative, stratigic, coolest bad guy ever.

Talon is cool, I like the whole I do things my way and his sense of right and wrong.
EDIT: Yes he would make a kick butt Talon, good call.

Devilstar2k2
04-17-2006, 09:43 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by james3

As far as Palpatine goes you have to have a little love for him, in the OT he was just the emperor so what big deal. Now he is the most persuasive, manipulative, stratigic, coolest bad guy ever.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My thoughts exactly... [:)]

04-18-2006, 11:20 AM
this is great , i wanted some ideas for reading while on holiday, seems i have plenty of options now :)

cool

james3
04-18-2006, 11:25 AM
SHATTERPOINT!

If you haven't read the books of the movies that is a must, they just compliment each other so much.

Any time I pick up a NJO book I can't put it down till the end.

Enjoy

Devilstar2k2
04-18-2006, 12:16 PM
I finished 'Heir' and am already a little less than halfway done with 'Dark Force'... Awesome, Awesome series...

Mor-El Kesav
04-18-2006, 04:02 PM
I'll have to agree that Yoda did indeed retreat, but when that happens is a point of view. As with Mace, Yoda could have realized the fight would have gone on forever AND the clone re-inforcements were inbound. Given that case, he had no choice but withdraw or be destroyed.

How you read the "winner" of the two conflicts must reflect your viewpoint of the Force. Ain't Lucas & the authors a bunch of sly foxes, writing the story so that we see it in our viewpoints? [;)]

Master Yoda

Devilstar2k2
04-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Does that mean that I've fallen to the dark side? If so, I guess I'm okay with that. [:p]

Mor-El Kesav
04-18-2006, 05:24 PM
I sense that the Dark Side of the Force surrouds Devilstar2k2 [}:)]

Master Yoda

tazrob
04-21-2006, 08:46 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Devilstar2k2
Damn... I've really have become a Star Wars geek... [:o)]

Your welcome [:D]

Devilstar2k2
04-21-2006, 08:51 AM
"No... I'm Han, he's Luke, and you're Chewy..."

"Nuh uh, forget that... I don't wanna play anymore... I quit"

Devilstar2k2
04-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Finally finished the Thrawn cycle... So whats next? Anyone?

I'd like to read a good stand alone book that chronicals Jedi that are from back in the KOTOR days, if there are any like that?

xwingband
04-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Nope, the KOTOR stuff has only been explored in the comics and games. I think they should revisit it. I think a Stover book from the Sith Wars era would be AMAZING!

Have you only read the Thrawn Trilogy?

<center>Read the FAQ (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=552) or x-wing won't be happy. :(
Before posting did you check the Thread Index (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=577)?.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6703/xwing8az.gif</center>

Devilstar2k2
04-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Dark Lord
Tales From Jabbas Palace
Revenge of the Sith
Shatterpoint
Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command

Those are the only Star Wars books that I've ever read. Two of those are Stovers. I liked the Zahn books better though... And the Luceno book was just garbage compared to both of the other guys work.

I've just recently started getting into the EU stuff other than the video games. Its like junkfood now, I've read all of those books since February of this year. [:)]

xwingband
04-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Well, these are ones I'd say are a mixed bag (some like them some don't) but if you want to get the rough understanding you should read. Like Thrawn Trilogy to NJO would be a HUGE leap.

Jedi Academy Trilogy
X-wing Series (Rouge and Wraith)
Courtship of Princess Leia
I hate to say it the, the NJO is mixed bag

And the Thrawn Duology is the only one I'd say you must read. If you go for more Zahn Outbound Flight should be read to complete the picture.

Every other one I'd say is not essential to read, because it either A) doesn't do much in the EU plotwise OR B)It plain sucks no matter who you ask *cough* batnam novels *cough*

EDIT: You edited while I posted so... getting your attention.[:)]

<center>Read the FAQ (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=552) or x-wing won't be happy. :(
Before posting did you check the Thread Index (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=577)?.

Devilstar2k2
04-29-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm going camping for a week at the end of May, and I want a good read for that, so I might read the Thrawn duo then. Can you give a quick summary of what they are about?

EDIT-

*Without spoilers [:D]

xwingband
04-29-2006, 12:51 PM

I'm going camping for a week at the end of May, and I want a good read for that, so I might read the Thrawn duo then. Can you give a quick summary of what they are about?

EDIT-

*Without spoilers [:D]

Ooo... make it tough for me. It's Mara and and Luke stuck on a planet because they are looking for info that will avoid a war and it has to do with a group called the "thrawn remenant". The war is being caused over the destruction of Caamasi. It's all getting inflamed because a document reveals that the Bothans, now prominent in the New Republic, might have had a hand in it.

This also where Luke and Mara hit it off... all be it slowly. It's a great read. Hopefully that doesn't reveal anything. That's a terribly basic rundown too since it's been years since I read that series.[xx(]

Devilstar2k2
04-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I already know about Luke and Mara... No worries there... [;)]

I'll probably give it a read then, sounds pretty good. Thanks.

james3
04-30-2006, 05:20 AM
Devil, it is really good reading. Without giving away to much xwing gave a nice summary. I really enjoyed them.

<center>http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/James3sig.jpg</center>

Devilstar2k2
05-06-2006, 11:33 PM
So I borrowed the Academy series from my cousin (trying to knock it out before the camping trip), and I'm a few pages in, and I'm kinda weary about reading any further. Reason being, it looks like alot has happened that I missed from other books.

Is there alot between the Thrawn Trilogy and this one? It looks like Palps was cloned, and defeated, already. And I guess Luke is now a Jedi Master?

What I'm asking is; what books did I miss in there, and should I go ahead and continue reading this series, or head to the book store to get the missing books first?

xwingband
05-07-2006, 07:20 AM
What is being refered to is not a book series. It's refering to the comic series "Crimson Empire". I personally don't like to consider it canon because it's comic foder. The story wasn't though of well enough and bringing the emperor back is just plain dumb and an easy out.

It does not impact the story of the Jedi Academy in any way. You can continue.[:)] The Jedi Master thing is really self proclaimed too since there's no council to grant that.[:p]

Devilstar2k2
05-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Cool... I did continue reading it anyway... [:p]

It was one of those things where I was like "I'll just read a lil more" and before I knew it, I was a quarter of the way through the book. So now, I have to finish the series. [;)]

Devilstar2k2
05-20-2006, 01:10 AM
Okay... I'm almost done with the Academy series, and it looks like I'll be reading 'I Jedi' and 'Darksaber' during my trip. Any comments on those two?

EDIT-

Here's my updated checklist:

Dark Lord
Tales From Jabbas Palace
Revenge of the Sith
Shatterpoint
Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command
Jedi Search
Dark Apprentice
Champions Of the Force (In progress)

To be read on vacation:

I, Jedi
Darksaber

Nightwing
05-20-2006, 07:20 AM
You'll wanna read the first four books in the X-wing series before you read I, Jedi. Those books take a [GREAT] character that was established in the first four X-wing novels, and slap him in the story of the Jedi Academy Trilogy. But, quite unlike a remake, this version is much better. Once you finish the JAT, you'll notice that most of the story is pretty much just filler. Some have speculated that I, Jedi was Mike Stackpole's attempt to "fix" the story of the JAT, although it's really only the first half of I, Jedi that deals with the JAT storyline; the rest is new.

Basically, read the first four X-Wing books and finish that JAT, then read I, Jedi. And yes, you do need to read it. The "new" events in that story come into other novels, most notably the Hand of Thrawn Duology and the New Jedi Order. In fact, Michael A. Stackpole actually worked with Timothy Zahn to "mesh the stories together" (I, Jedi and the HoT Duology.).

Darth Poo Head
05-20-2006, 11:22 AM
The first SW book I read was Shadow Hunter, which takes place just before Episode I. I couldn’t put it down and read the entire thing in about 9 hours. I jumped ahead from that to Shadows of the Empire, which is really good too. then I read the first of the series where the aliens sounded suspiciously like Species 8472 (from ST Voyager for those who don’t know, lol) and wasn’t really impressed obviously because I can’t even remember the name something Seed I think, but, I never read any more of those. I finished Dark Lord about three months ago, it was OK. Next was Heir to the Empire and I’m in the middle Dark Force Rising. The Thrawn trilogy is awesome to this point, and after I finish these three I’ve already got Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future. Outbound Flight will be after those.
Quite simply, Thrawn rocks.
You will read those books

It's not the Jedi way....

http://gallery.wewt.net/albums/Gipes-World/darth_poo_head_sig_3_06.jpg

xwingband
05-20-2006, 02:00 PM
The X-wing series is integral to I, Jedi. Corran Horn, the main character, was totally developed there and you'd be missing a bit by trying to jump into it. It's also the sole first person SW book. I like it a lot.

Darksaber is not really good. It's one of those trite books that got pumped out because the popularity of SW books had soared.

Nightwing
05-20-2006, 02:08 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Darth Poo Head

The Thrawn trilogy is awesome to this point, and after I finish these three I’ve already got Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future. Outbound Flight will be after those.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Woah, woah. Before you skip to the Hand of Thrawn Duology, you'll need to read books 1-4 of the X-wing series, followed by the Jedi Academy Trilogy, and I, Jedi. You'll really need to read those in order to understand most of what's going on in the Duology.

After all that, it should be safe to skip on ahead to the New Jedi Order series. They are simply phenomenal. I've only read the first couple books, but they are simply put possibly the best Star Wars novels I've ever read. They take their place alongside Timothy Zahn's SW books.

xwingband
05-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Also Suvivor's Quest should fall in there too. It's the sequel and tells the fate of Outbound Flight. I'm torn whether it's right to read them in chronilogical order or by published order...

Devilstar2k2
05-20-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm gonna skip the Xwing series and go straight into 'I, Jedi' from the Academy series. The way that most of the books start out, it gives you the important parts of the backstory anyway.

Eventually, I'll read the Xwing series... Just not right now...

NooB1Kenobi
05-20-2006, 07:10 PM
I like several books... The Thrawn Trilogy, The Dark Nest Trilogy and Survivors Quest....

<div align="left"><center>http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/TheNooB1/05c362a5.jpg</center></div id="left">

<center><font color="red">Female Twi'leks are so Hot! I want one. Gotta love the lekku =0)~</font id="red"></center>

Darth Poo Head
05-22-2006, 09:37 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Nightwing

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Darth Poo Head

The Thrawn trilogy is awesome to this point, and after I finish these three I’ve already got Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future. Outbound Flight will be after those.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Woah, woah. Before you skip to the Hand of Thrawn Duology, you'll need to read books 1-4 of the X-wing series, followed by the Jedi Academy Trilogy, and I, Jedi. You'll really need to read those in order to understand most of what's going on in the Duology.

After all that, it should be safe to skip on ahead to the New Jedi Order series. They are simply phenomenal. I've only read the first couple books, but they are simply put possibly the best Star Wars novels I've ever read. They take their place alongside Timothy Zahn's SW books.

Cool, thanks for the advice. Looks like I have some more books to buy then, lol[:D]Not that spending $$ on anything Star Wars has even been a problem for me [}:)]

It's not the Jedi way....

http://gallery.wewt.net/albums/Gipes-World/darth_poo_head_sig_3_06.jpg

Sith Mi Se Rupe
05-22-2006, 08:52 PM
<font color="purple">Zahn is good, so is Denning.</font id="purple">

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/Sithgal06/JAWASITH.jpg
<font color="purple">I found my cutting torch in a junk yard. Isn't it pretty?</font id="purple">

Silvren
05-25-2006, 10:14 PM
<font color="orange">I highly recommend the Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith book. It really goes into detail about so much in the movie..I think everyone here would enjoy it.</font id="orange"> [^]

meiv4
05-25-2006, 10:16 PM
anyone read zahn's newest yet? ummm survivors quest and outbound flight? those any good?

Devilstar2k2
05-26-2006, 12:37 AM
Is that the Thrawn Duo?

Tazrob said that he's about 100 pages in and is kind of disappointed in it so far...

xwingband
05-26-2006, 04:16 AM
It's not the Thrawn Duo. The Duo is Specter of the Past and Visions of the Future. 100 isn't much so I wouldn't judge yet.

I read both of the others though. Suvivor's Quest is ehh... but essential to getting the whole story. Outbound Flight rocked though! Be mindful that they are opposites in the timeline.

informalmyx
05-26-2006, 07:47 AM
i enjoyed them all and yeah even showdown at centerpoint i just read shatter point and repub cmmando atriple zero and it was good

<center><font size="1"><font color="maroon">Please read the FAQ (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=552) and the Thread Index (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=577) before you post.</font id="maroon"></font id="size1">
http://webpages.charter.net/myxmyth/infomyx.jpg (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/photo_album_cat.asp?sqldtl=24)
http://webpages.charter.net/myxmyth/csa.jpg
"Many claim to have found serenity, and through serenity to have overcome anger. Such arrogance is astounding."
</center>

meiv4
05-26-2006, 12:06 PM
the duo is acually specter of the past and visions of the future, last command is the 3rd of his trilogy. i need to get survivors quest then. to the book store!

tazrob
05-26-2006, 12:42 PM
I am more than half way through specter and I just think that is leaves alot in the air and Zahn did not close some things as he should. The whole first chapter of the book covers events that just seem to get forgotten and goes in a different direction. Who knows maybe I am just getting ahead of myself right now but I will finish the books none the less and hopefully they will get better. I just thought the Thrawn Trilogy was WAY better, IMHO.

meiv4
05-26-2006, 02:57 PM
yea i liked the trilogy better but the duo was still a good read

xwingband
05-26-2006, 03:11 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by meiv4

the duo is acually specter of the past and visions of the future, last command is the 3rd of his trilogy. i need to get survivors quest then. to the book store!

Yeah, sorry. I was being stupid... Be sure to read Outbound Flight after or before... whatever. Outbound Flight rocked my socks and reminded me why Thrawn rocks. You get quite a different view of him too. He seemed... almost bitter in the trilogy and this explains why. You feel for him even though he becomes the "villian."

Oooo... teaser: NJO tie-ins that really make the NJO series feel more ominous. The whole "Vong threat" is a big "I told you so!"

tazrob
05-26-2006, 04:33 PM
I gotta wait for outbound to go to paperback as my starwars budget was blown for the year, lol [V]

LDS_Trooper
06-11-2006, 12:52 AM
Which books have good bits including Qui-Gon? Any?

"Do you know how to use that thing?"
"Yes. The pointy end goes into the other man."
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/LDS_Trooper/emotions/fence.gif

StrangeWings
06-11-2006, 01:09 AM
The only ones that I know of are Cloak of deception and EpI. If you read the NJO series and liked it I would recommend the new Legacy of the Force, Betrayal. I really liked it...now I have to wait for the next one...ahhh.

mike-jon-sims
06-11-2006, 01:39 AM
the only ones ive read with qui-gon are jedi apprentice but they are a little childish . good quick reads though

Threepio: Artoo suggests that if you remove the restraining bolt, he might be able to play back the entire recording. Luke: Do I look that stupid?

-- "Little things that could have changed the universe"

Daj Nallig
06-11-2006, 06:45 AM
Cloak of Deception was an excellent read- you get a close-up view of the entire Council, and the groundwork for Phantom Menace is laid, as well.

LDS_Trooper
06-12-2006, 03:18 AM
I'll have to find this "Cloak of Deception" thanks guys...

The only books I've read are the Zahn books.. and only the trilogy...

Sad.. I know...

"Do you know how to use that thing?"
"Yes. The pointy end goes into the other man."
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/LDS_Trooper/emotions/fence.gif

Yoiaholic
07-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Well guys I just started 'Betrayal' the new SW book from Aaron Allston. I'm impressed considerably with how much he has matured as a writer. I couldn't read his X-Wing books, I found them dull and unexciting, however this is fresh and has a good quick pace to it.

Now I'd have to move him off my SW authors to avoid list. My current rankings from best to worst of some of the authors I've sampled would have to be:

The BEST
1. Timothy Zahn. No one comes close to him, no one.
2. Steve Perry (I think its Perry) Writer of Shadows of the Empire, amazing book.
3. (Tie) Kathy Tyers, Aaron Allston, Matthew Stover, Micheal Reaves. There just isn't much that can seperate them. They are all good authors, well written and I enjoyed their books, though not as much as above.

The WORST (Absoulutly avoid these like the plague)
1. Troy Denning. I read Tatoonie Ghost and I'll never read another one of his books again. Terrible, no plot or character development and wow, just a poor writting style.
2. Who ever the author was that decided to write the books on the cloned emperor. Horrible books.
2.a Who ever came up with the YV. I refuse to read those books, its really pretty terrible in the timeline for my tastes.

But thats just my opinion. Anyway, if you need some fresh material you can pick up the hardcover of Betrayal for about 10-15 dollars with a bookclub card. So far its a great read. I always try to get my books in hardcover they look better and I think it just adds to the enjoyment of reading. There is a used books store here with nearly every SW book written in hardcover, 4 dollars for a book in great condition is a bargain!

*edit: poor spelling :(

'Your swords please, we wouldn't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.' -Count Dooku
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/yoiaholic/dookubig.jpg

meiv4
07-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Heh you should read the NJO still, so many authors wrote for that series its freaking crazy. it seriously becomes like its own little world.

Daj Nallig
07-11-2006, 07:29 PM
There's supposed to be a KOTOR-era novel coming out in September, but I can't remember the title.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1/jdg61/JDN2.jpg

james3
07-11-2006, 08:18 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Daj Nallig

There's supposed to be a KOTOR-era novel coming out in September, but I can't remember the title.

OK so now you have my interest, if you remember the title ya got to let us in on it.

<center>http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/kotor2.jpg</center>

What
07-12-2006, 04:26 PM
OOOO I LOVE THE SW BOOKS, I havent had a chance to go out and buy more, but the ones i read were very entertaining.

Ill list the trilogy and some of the books ive read that i liked alot.

<font size="4"><font color="purple">The Jedi Academy Trilogy:</font id="purple"></font id="size4">
Jedi Search
Dark Apprentice
Champions of the force

<font size="4"><font color="purple">Dark Nest Trilogy:</font id="purple"></font id="size4">
The Joiner King
The Unseen Quen
The Swarm War

I greatly enjoyed the Swarm War for its humor that Han Solo Puts into it.

Daj Nallig
07-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Darth Bane - Path of Destruction by Drew Karpyshyn. it is due out Sept 26, 2006 [8D]

james3
07-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Thank you sir, that is one that I will have to get right away.

Devilstar2k2
09-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Just finished Bloodlines... Anyone else read it yet?

I'm not sure if I like the direction that I see Boba headed in. Could be disappointing for some. Then again, it could just be from my taking a 30 year jump in the time line, who knows?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this book?

EDIT-

I haven't been reading as much lately, but heres the updated list anyway:

Dark Lord
Tales From Jabbas Palace (Boba escapes from the Sarlacc in this one)
Revenge of the Sith
Shatterpoint
Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command
Jedi Search
Dark Apprentice
Champions Of the Force
Bloodlines
I, Jedi (In progress)

To be read:

Darksaber

<center>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/xdm41/sig.gif</center>

tazrob
09-05-2006, 06:56 AM
Anyone know of a good place to get a chronological listing of the books? the closest I have come is wookieepedia or the last zahn novel I read also has a list but I do not think that has all the books. Jumping from here to there is really bugging me.
As long as everyone else is listing their reads, lets see if I can get mine down in some type of timeline order.

Outbound Flight (currently reading)
Shatterpoint
Labyrinth of Evil
Revenge of the Sith
Dark Lord The Rise of Darth Vader
Shadows of the Empire
Tales from jabbas Place
Heir To the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command
I, Jedi
Jedi Search
Dark Apprentice
Champions of the Force
Dark Saber
Ambush at Corillia
Assult at Selonia
Showdown at Centerpoint
Specter of the Past
Vision of the Future
Fools Bargain
Survivor's Quest

<center>http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/tazrob/tazrobaurabeshsig.jpg</center>

StrangeWings
09-05-2006, 08:00 AM
there is a listing at www.theforce.net I forget where but I know it's there.

james3
09-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Strange! Congrats on hitting the 100!!!!

xwingband
09-05-2006, 08:33 AM
The NJO books have a timeline on the inside cover. The best online source probably would be TF.N

I've pretty much read them all... I need to get the latest ones. I read the first of the swarm wars and that new hardback. Also the cloned emperor was part of a graphic novel. No actually books were produced from that.

Devilstar2k2
09-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Rob,

Bloodlines has the latest timeline in it... You can copy it the next time I see ya.

-Shawn

EDIT-

In the front cover, there are logos of the time eras... Well, they have a logo for Sith Era, but no books listed on the timeline. So, it looks like there is gonna be another series sometime soon (if its not already out).

<center>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/xdm41/sig.gif</center>

meiv4
09-05-2006, 01:37 PM
hmmm forgot where the rules are... can we sell books on here?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/meiv4/falloutsig.jpg

james3
09-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Tim?

meiv4
09-05-2006, 09:23 PM
since i pulled out all my books i guess ill type up what i have.

NJO
edge of vicotry I conquest
and II rebirth
Dark journey
enemy lines I Rebel Dream
and II Rebel stand
Traitor
Destinys way
Force Heretic I remnant
and II refugee
The unifying force

not njo

Zahn's thrawn trilogy and dualogy
Heir to the empire
Dark force rising
The last command
Specter of the past (hardcover)
Visions of the future

Survivors quest

Splinter of the minds eye

The new Rebellion

The young jedi knights
Return to ord mantell
the emperor's plague
coundda swore i had the rest of these but i cant find them....

Darksaber

Xwing
solo command
starfighters of adumar
isards revenge
iron fist

I, Jedi

jedi acadamy trilogy
I jedi search
II Dark apprentice
the third one is missing :(

Black fleet crisis trilogy
Sheild of lies
Before the Storm
Tyrant's Test

Han solo trilogy
The Paradise Snare
The Hutt Gambit
Rebel Dawn

The lando calrissian adventures

and yea thats all i can find right now...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/meiv4/falloutsig.jpg

tazrob
09-29-2006, 08:49 PM
I know this is an old topic but I finally found a pretty good place for the novel timeline

http://www.jedinet.com/timeline/

the cool thing is it links to informatin about the books and reviews.

What
09-30-2006, 07:40 AM
I, Jedi

jedi acadamy trilogy
I jedi search
II Dark apprentice
the third one is missing :(

Ive got that trilogy, the third is "The Champions of the Force" That was a pretty good trilogy.

SilentBob501
10-14-2006, 09:03 AM
I recently bought Dark Empire and Dark Empire II on audio. Its weird and cool. Unlike other audio books its not just someone reading. Its a full audio drama, with an entire cast of voices, music and sound fx. Now Dark Empire I-II were originally comic books, so this makes for some interesting dialogue. All the sudden there will be all these sounds and you wont know whats going on then like Han will say: "Boy its a good thing Luke used the force to topple that walker! It would have had us for sure. Did you see? Its head just exploded, that was amazing." But of course it is cool to hear the snap-hiss and thrumming of Luke's lightsaber.

Also Ive read the new Legacy series with Betrayel and Bloodlines. They are awesome, everybody should read these. Betrayel starts off a little slow, but ends with such a bang that you have to pick up Bloodlines, which was just all together awesome. For Boba Fett fans its a must. I cant wait for Tempest!

Devilstar2k2
10-22-2006, 08:51 AM
I had a SW audio book, and it was the 'play' type... But I wasn't crazy about it. You only get like 1/8 of the content, and the acting is terrible. Not trying to knock your opinion of it, Bob. Just giving my own. <3

And Bloodlines was great... 70 year old Boba still kickin' a**... ;)

Mor-El Kesav
10-22-2006, 01:21 PM
I really enjoyed the Republic Commando series. Very good work, you can tell that the author has some times with the real world special ops community. Good stuff. I strongly recommend it.

Daleon
10-26-2006, 11:07 AM
I've been reading SW Novels for quite a long time, 13 or 14+ years I guess since Heir to the Empire. I've read almost every single Bantam book that was made during that era. When NJO started I got about half way through Vector Prime and quit. The book itself has its problems ofcourse, but I think mostly it just didn't grab me or have the feel that I was use to. So I pretty much looked to Dark Horse comics for my SW appetite. There were some lean years and comics are such a quick finish that your always left wanting more. But I've now got all the Knights, Sith, and Tales books. All of it very good history and and many great stories.

I've gotten the urge to start reading Novels again, so I got the new Legacy books but will wait a while to read those. Also got Darth Bane, was a great go along with all the Sith comics I've read. And I just bought an entire NJO collection and have picked Vector Prime back up where I left off and have to say I am enjoying it quite a bit now. There are still large passages of utterly useless drivel here and there, but I've learning to get a good "glance" at that and move on to the more important and fun parts. I'm looking forward to finishing the series off as I know there are a few very good books hidden in there. Then I'll be able to catch up with everyone in the Legacy books.

For those that read the Black Fleet Crisis - when Luke was searching for his Mother, does any of that make sense anymore?

djobitwan7
03-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Ah, finally found this section. I'm actually on par with xwing on terms of having 95 - 98% of all the books. Most are very good and the Timothy Zahn ones are especially good. I just picked up Revelation, but the other Legacy of the force books were good as well.

How can you not like Boba being back in the action and battling illness and figuring out family.

My only beef is how, even in the beginning, they treated all the jedi's abilities. You have Luke. Grand Master and as far as we know.....has the most recent knowledge compared to everyone except old master's or old jedi knight's that fled. None that I remember came back to teach, fight or otherwise. Luke always seemed to struggle. Not even a Jedi holocron is being utilized yet, except in mentioning.

With that said, it seems the younger Jedi's can do more in a short time compared to Luke, who did have formal training by Master Yoda himself. All jedi's were not wiped out, for youngling's who did not attain a master were still strong in the force, but worked differently than a Jedi Knight. This needs to be addressed and badly. The only playing field that's leveled is the rule of two knowledge is gone. So everyone is sort of forced to re-learn the ancient ways.

I just wanted to throw those tidbits in and go from there.

Dark Helmet
03-13-2008, 07:26 PM
last week i finished the new jedi order series, all of them were great, but force heretic II was one of the best, def look forward to getting far enough in that series to read that one.the first book to get is vector prime tho... good stuff. i'm almost finished the joiner king now, and i gotta say, it's been a little boring.....

jedi/storm
03-14-2008, 07:48 AM
I would say that all the books and graphic novels ad to the Star Wars ethos but am loving the legacy boooks OHH BOY!!!

Darth Zecks
03-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I have to agree with Jedi/Storm, the legacy series imo is the best so far. It seems to concentrate on the Jedi a lot more then some of the other series. I started reading the legacy series but stopped because the next book I needed, sacrifice I believe, was not coming out in paperback until this month. I had started reading the The New Jedi Order series so I went back to that. I'm just over half done with the series and its been a pretty bumpy ride. I half to agree with anyone that say T.Zahn's books are the best, I have never been disappointed by them. I haven't read to many books before these series though. I jedi was great and I am definitely going to get Shatterpoint. All in all every SW book I have read has been good.

Barmic Rin
03-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Mace Windu kickin' ass! ALL GOOD!!!

I like the legacy series. The Dark nest series made the Jedi seem so up themselves, I wasn't expecting much when I came to Legacy.

Thankfully, my fears were dispelled. I love Karen Traviss' style in this series & the Republic Commando trilogy.

Also, the way they're starting to tie up loose ends from the expanded universe (like why Boba was expelled from being Journeyman Protector on Concord Dawn!)

xwingband
03-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Also, the way they're starting to tie up loose ends from the expanded universe (like why Boba was expelled from being Journeyman Protector on Concord Dawn!)

More like they probably tell Karen Traviss to start 'splaining what the mandalorians had to do with ANYTHING!

Karen Traviss = "I Love Mandalorians!"

strengthofrage
03-17-2008, 05:47 PM
I am very eager for her fourth Republic Commando book that last I heard was due this spring/summer... anyone hear anything else about it?

Ghostbat
03-18-2008, 10:35 AM
I just read "Death Star" which sort of follows the lives of several people on and around the first death star in the time leading up to it's destruction.

Now I have to qualify this by saying generally I think SW novels kind of stink in the way all licensed novels tend to stink, and this one was no exception. This is my personal opinion and your mileage (as always) may vary.

It was, however, very engaging and it's stinkiness was much lower than I was expecting. A good trashy novel to have for long bus rides or when waiting in line. I'm not sad I read it, it was a fun diversion and worth the time, but it won't be going in my permanent collection.

Barmic Rin
03-19-2008, 02:59 PM
I am very eager for her fourth Republic Commando book that last I heard was due this spring/summer... anyone hear anything else about it?

True Colours came out in Feb, but that was number 3...

And X, who doesn't love the Mando'a?

Drichar Deis
03-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Ive read a variety of the books, but the one that rivets me the most has to be Darth Bane The Path Of Destruction.

Barmic Rin
03-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Good, but I'd got used to the battle of Ruusan from the Jedi vs. Sith way.

Also, the whole thing of Bane being given a curved hilt saber never sat right. They just kept saying 'rare curved hilt' 'ancient sith lord' etc. etc.

Still enjoyed it, & gonna pick up Rule of Two at some point.

My all time fave has to be Tales from the Mos eisely Cantina.

strengthofrage
03-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Rule of Two was very good also.

As for the Republic Commando books, I read all three (True Colors the last I think like Barmic said) but I coulda swore I saw somewhere that there was another being released this spring. I could be wrong, hope I am not though.

Barmic Rin
03-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Well, since the Skirata clan are mentioned & Bard'ika is in Revelation, there's still plenty of stories to be told with those guys.

Darth Relin
03-19-2008, 04:35 PM
the bane books got me started reading again. the 1st bane book was amazing i loved it. rule of two was preety good. but ive been reading the "Legacy of the force" series and there preety good and you can get them on cd for thoses long car drives and stuff.

Barmic Rin
03-19-2008, 04:40 PM
I feel that some of the other jedi should get a mention with the Legacy series, though maybe they'll do another series focusing on Kam solusar, Kyle Katarn etc. further down the line.