PDA

View Full Version : Tapping and heatsink compound

GrimaOllak
02-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Alrighty, well now that the holders/adapters are ready, it brings me to the next step of my LED saber journey: drilling and tapping.

Now I've done neither before, so I went out to Home Depot and got what I think is the right equipment. However, before drilling a hole and possibly ruining what I've waited so long for, I thought I'd first ask the experts. [:D]

This is what I bought. Behold.
http://www.animeflux.com/drilltap1.jpg

Now before anyone asks, yes, I purchased 8-32 thumbscrews, so no worries there. And I figured since this package says 8-32 on it (don't know what the "NC" means), it has to be the right one, yes?

Also I bought a "T-Handle Tap Wrench" since I know the tapping has to be done by hand. That'll do, right?

Ah yes, and one last question. For attaching the LED to the heatsink, is there a specific brand of compound you fine folks can recommend? I looked around Home Depot for some, but that store is so mismanaged, it's a wonder I can find anything at all.

Madcow
02-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Hey Grima,
What you need is "Thermal Paste" available in small tubes from radio shack $5 range.

As far as tapping goes I reccomend the following...

1. Safety glasses
2. A solid vice, mounted firmly on a bench (I use a rag/towel to keep the vice jaws from damaging my peice, but it needs to be secure.
3. Get a peice of aluminum and practice on it. (you can buy raw aluminum from a metal store, or just find scrap)

Good luck!

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

wood7588
02-10-2006, 01:52 AM
Grima,
I would advise test tapping on scrap before the real thing. When you tap make sure to go slowly, and make sure you are perpendicular to the piece. Turn the tap 1/4 to 1/2 a revolution then back it up to clear the cuttings. It also might be advisable to use a lubricant. I believe kerosene is recomended for aluminium but you might want to check that. I know many people are saying to themselves 'but it is only a small hole to tap' but beleive me it is a pain to get a broken tap out of a project. Last summer I was working on a spiral staircase and had to tap 30 holes in 1/4" hardend steel. We ended up breaking 8 taps in the process.
Edit- I think the NC stands for National Common or Coarse. It is basically a measure of standard. Another tap standard is NF for finer threads.

GrimaOllak
02-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Well, that's good to know I have the right stuff, at least.

As far as practicing goes, I think I'm out of luck on that one. I have no scrap, and I don't know anyone who has any either. Plus the nearest place that might have some is nearly an hour away, and even then I'm not guaranteed they'll have it.

I don't suppose anyone on here has some they'd be willing to donate? I'll pay shipping if need be.

Also, thanks, Madcow. I live less than 3 minutes away from a Radio Shack, so Thermal Paste it is! [:D]

Do-Clo
02-10-2006, 09:00 AM
A word of caution with the thermal compound, when you open the tube and apply it, a little goes a long way. That stuff has the ability to get on everything, hands, clothing, and electronics non of these are very good. This compund has been called by many names by techs over the years but the best one is, monkey snot it gets every where.

Do-Clo
Don't make me destroy you...

Darth Frieds
02-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Why not use olive oil as a lubricant. I've never tried it but the guy at sears reccomended it.

I have surrendured to the ways of the darkside. Fear is my ally

Madcow
02-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Olive Oil?
As a tap lubricant or as a thermal paste???

Anyways Grima, you can get scrap aluminum from any junkyard or thrift store;
- Broken Lawn Chair tube
- Aluminum pots and pans
- Old Crutches
- Vaccume cleaner pipe
... You get the idea.

Thrift stores are the wonderland of the creative! (you can quote me)

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

wood7588
02-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Hobby craft stores sometimes sell small pieces of metal as well. My Home Depot sells 2 to 4 foot metal bars and rods as well. It is around the hardware isle by the joist hangers and brackets if that helps. I had to pick some up myself awhile back for a test run on a project. I usually dont want to buy new if I am going to just use it as a test sample but after I picked some up I was suprised at all the other projects I got out of it.

Darth Frieds
02-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Olive oil as a lubricant for tapping.

I have surrendured to the ways of the darkside. Fear is my ally

GrimaOllak
02-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Grrr... visited Home Depot yet again today looking for the aluminum stock you guys mentioned. Those stupid employees never know where anything is in their store. EVER. Tomorrow I'll just make the 30 minute drive to Lowe's. Never had a problem there.

:edit:

Do-Clo, you mention only using a tiny bit of paste. How much is enough? Say, a dime-sized amount? Or half that? May sound like a stupid question, but I don't want to put on so little that it doesn't properly transfer heat.

Do-Clo
02-11-2006, 03:51 PM
GrimaOllak when using the thermal compund or grease as it is called you want to apply a thin layer on the bottom of your led not quite to the edge so that when you mount it it will not compress out from under the edges, it is hard to describe the amount to use since it is one of those things that comes with experience, (no offense to anyone here). You can take a couple of peices of scrap material to practice on to get the right feel for the amount, you want to end up with a thin even layer over the bottom of the led.

Do-Clo
Don't make me destroy you...

LAN-ED-TUL
02-12-2006, 08:02 AM
i just put a small lil dot about a 1/16th of an inch big. cuz when you put the led on and tighten up the bolts it flattens out and covers the whole bottom. and so far, none has ever squeezed out past the edges on me. i use tims holders, and they arent supposed to really need any extra like that, but, what the heck, it cant hurt.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

GrimaOllak
02-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Ok, excellent advice, all of you. Thanks!

Wood7588, I tracked down those rods you mentioned, and got me a 3' aluminum one from Lowe's. Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately, the guy at Radio Shack just looked at me with a blank stare when I said I was looking for Thermal Paste. Another guy knew what I was talking about, but they didn't even have it in their computer system. [}:)]

I called up my dad to see what he thought, and he said Circuit City has it for sure. We'll see tomorrow, I guess. *sigh* The quest for parts never seems to end.

Ooh! But I did find some very cool sink tube pieces at Lowe's with a "brass" finish, which basically makes it look gold (they're about $7, though.... ouch...). They only had it in 1.25" OD x 6" long, but I figure I'll cut it into sections and do some sort of "plating" on my saber. Can't wait to try it out!

Everyone keeps mentioning to make sure the paste doesn't squish out from underneath the LED. I'm fairly certain this won't be a problem (I'll only use a dot, as suggested), but worst case scenario, what happens if it does come out? Will my LED short out or something?

Usernames suck
02-12-2006, 08:47 PM
I need to make a heatsink for my led converted mr sabers. What do I need to to?

The opression of the Sith will never return, you have lost - mace windu

LAN-ED-TUL
02-12-2006, 11:34 PM
did you not use tims holders? they already are heatsinked.

GrimaOllak
02-13-2006, 07:49 AM
I am using Tim's holder and adapter (it arrives on Thursday), but I was under the impression that it's still a good thing to use compound on it.

Is this completely unnecessary?

Nevermind. I think you were talking to Usernames, not me. I'm still waking up. [:I]

LAN-ED-TUL
02-13-2006, 12:08 PM
yep talkin to user. and grim, you dont really have to use the paste, but if its handy, why not. i had some from the last lil cpu heatsink/fan swap i did on my computer. its actually artic silver. from what i hear, thats about the best there is. i may be wrong, but everyplace around here uses it over reg. white paste.

Usernames suck
02-13-2006, 08:14 PM
I am not using Tim's blade holder because I am short on cash right now but if I come into some money ( tax refund ) then I will definitely buy one because the one I have right now (that I made) doesn't work as great.

The opression of the Sith will never return, you have lost - mace windu

LAN-ED-TUL
02-20-2006, 05:18 PM
yeah, tims got more on the way.