PDA

View Full Version : Speakers

Moordak
02-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Since it looks like the speakers won't be in stock for a while, as much as I hate to ask, does anyone know anywhere else I can get one? I looked at Radio Shack and they had one, but it had some bad reviews. Thanks.

Novastar
02-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Have patience, you must... or find specialty site and try using "Force Persuasion" to get samples from them... :)

I'm doing my best over here to make sure that Tim & Erv can get re-stocked with speakers. But if it hasn't already been said, it was an error on the SPEAKER MFC end... neither Erv's nor Tim's.

All good things with time though.

One last thing I can assure anyone who is reading... you are unlikely to find speakers that have a better dynamic range in their size class anywhere else. It took me some LOONNNGG hours of research to compare a bunch of these things all over the place, and they are pretty gnarley. :)

This is NOT to say that a 28mm speaker can necessarily "beat" the dynamic range and overall sound of (for example) a 36mm or 45mm speaker. Again, this is just a smaller version of the argument about a small speaker versus some huge 10 inch speaker. Duh.

HOWEVER... sometimes--bigger is not better. The devil is always in the details. To dB you look. To dynamic range you look. To output wattage you look. It all matters as an OVERALL picture. One detail alone... means nothing.

strengthofrage
02-06-2008, 04:22 PM
The speakers in the shop are worth waiting for... my newest MHS has a speaker from the shop, may last MHS has one from some other place. The TCSS speaker blows my mind compaired to the other.

Moordak
02-06-2008, 04:46 PM
I've read many posts about you all praising the speaker sold here which is why I didn't really want to get one somewhere else. I'll just use the cheapy that I had laying around off an old Hasbro board until the store gets them back in stock.

Darth_DevilGuy
02-06-2008, 05:07 PM
I'll take one out of the 616 I'm using for sound until tim gets them back in stock.

I hope he's not taking a loss on these at least.

strengthofrage
02-06-2008, 07:03 PM
My 1st saber has a speaker ripped out of and XBox live headset lol

Count Malik
02-06-2008, 07:11 PM
This is what i'm going to do, I recomend people do the same. If your wating for a sound board like ultra sound (mabe) or CF v3.0 (what i'm wating for) speakers are some thing you need I know CF comes with a speaker and ultra sound usualy uses TCSS speakers. so to get the best speakers it takes time, and on the fx-saber forums they said TCSS speakers will be back in stock SOON. As for CF you don't have to worry to much about that because when the speaker is in stock the board will be in stock. If your planning on using ultra sound, Hasbro, or MR fx wait for TCSS speakers because i've heard nothing but good about there speakers. And like I said they will be in SOON.

Lord Maul
02-06-2008, 07:13 PM
They'll be back in stock in a month or so...That's what the update thread said, and that's what Tim said.

xwingband
02-06-2008, 07:48 PM
This is what i'm going to do, I recomend people do the same. If your wating for a sound board like ultra sound (mabe) or CF v3.0 (what i'm wating for) speakers are some thing you need I know CF comes with a speaker and ultra sound usualy uses TCSS speakers. so to get the best speakers it takes time, and on the fx-saber forums they said TCSS speakers will be back in stock SOON. As for CF you don't have to worry to much about that because when the speaker is in stock the board will be in stock. If your planning on using ultra sound, Hasbro, or MR fx wait for TCSS speakers because i've heard nothing but good about there speakers. And like I said they will be in SOON.

lol, just because it's on the internets doesn't make it true. This is the TCSS forum so I wouldn't quote another board response before you check here.

Lord Maul
02-06-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm the one who updates the thread in question, and ALL of my updates come directly from Tim. It says in the thread a month or so, because that is what Tim said.

Darth_DevilGuy
02-06-2008, 09:26 PM
dude I think you got served...

Count Malik
02-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I know I have a tendency to do stuff like that (isn't the first time) sorry about that. Anyway this is a speaker topic, and I have a question, dose any body know if a CF speaker can fit inside a #5 pommel. BTW didn't mean to offend anybody. Thanks.

Novastar
02-06-2008, 11:19 PM
If you mean the "standard" speaker Erv has included in the past... it should fit alright.

Basically, anything 28mm (or less) will fit in an MHS, but when you start to get past that (32mm one might squeak by??)... such as 36mm, it will not fit.

The Flange III sabers currently both have 36mm speakers, although one used to have a 45mm. I only had one, and for some reason, it failed, so I went back to 36mm. Overall, the 36mm is the best anyhow, so it's actually quite nice. :)

If anyone ends up with 36mm speakers (or 45mm ones for that matter), they both CAN be made to fit inside the "pommel cap" (lol) of a 1.5" sink tube. It's not easy, nor always going to be pretty... but it does work.

This is also part of the reasons why I did not use MHS parts for the bottom half of the sabers... :)

Hasid Lafre
02-07-2008, 01:02 AM
Can we please keep thoes types of comments for them stupid movies.

dude I think you got served...

Darth_DevilGuy
02-07-2008, 10:27 AM
I was being Ironic
I would never actually say
something that moronic

Chowser
02-10-2008, 03:02 PM
which side should I solder the negative to?

or

Thanks

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/7703/dsc03999qi3.jpg

Jay-gon Jinn
02-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Negative at 1, positive at 2. There's more info on the speakers here:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/images/product/pspeaker.pdf

Treadingwolf
02-10-2008, 03:10 PM
I didn't think it mattered to be honest. Does it make a difference?

Madcow
02-10-2008, 03:19 PM
It does make a difference, but to be honest - most of us might not notice. A speaker will "work" if the wires are reversed. Just not optimally. The speakers are designed to be specific - the negative will usually be marked with a black mark or dot, the positive with a red mark or dot... but not always.

MC

LAN-ED-TUL
02-10-2008, 03:45 PM
or sometimes with a + or a - on the tabs as well.

Novastar
02-11-2008, 07:22 AM
It does make a difference, but to be honest - most of us might not notice. A speaker will "work" if the wires are reversed. Just not optimally. The speakers are designed to be specific - the negative will usually be marked with a black mark or dot, the positive with a red mark or dot... but not always.

MCThat is a good point, Madcow... but... am I wrong to think then that the polarity would essentially just be "reversed", and therefore the way you "face" your speaker could just be reversed?

I mean, sound comes out both ends of a speaker... the resonance makes a major difference... and as Eandori has mentioned--if you were to do TWO speakers... you'd want them "in phase" to try to get the maximum result... I think. :)

This is a toughie... I have NEVER been able to tell the difference with speakers, no matter how many ways I've tried them, tested, and screwed around with 'em... :) All sounds the same.

Then again... I've only really worked with some "high quality" speakers... I rarely play with el-cheapos or just a bunch of random ones...

Madcow
02-11-2008, 10:31 AM
That is a good point, Madcow... but... am I wrong to think then that the polarity would essentially just be "reversed", and therefore the way you "face" your speaker could just be reversed?

Good question. To my knowlege - it entirely depends on the speaker, some speakers can seemingly perform well - either way, but NOT if there's more than one speaker playing the sounds. That requres a little engineering.

MC

DACOTA
02-11-2008, 09:04 PM
I was being Ironic
I would never actually say
something that moronic

But yet you did. HaHa. Sorry.

kazei maru
03-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Regarding the speaker issue. Does the TCSS or Erv's speakers have a wider range of frequency than a MR or is it the soundboard that processes better sound to the speaker? I've been considering speakers from a pair of stereo headphones that I have laying around. I'd really appreciate anyones input on this.

xwingband
03-09-2008, 08:52 PM
A little of both... The CF does 16 bit sound, which is higher quality. Then the speaker is a high wattage that the CF can drive better than an MR board. It's frequency response is darn good for it's size too.

I've asked for samples for bigger ones, I'm just glad I order extras all the time. I have a few to tide me over.

On the headphone speakers... not sure that'd work well. Most headphones only go for mW where the "premium" one is a whole 1W. I'm not saying it won't work, but that it might not be as good as you hope. If it's not being used I guess it's worth a shot.

sfer1
03-09-2008, 09:00 PM
A friend of mine found a round speaker (1.2" diameter by 0.8" deep, 8 Ohm, 3 Watts). This speaker would work fine, wouldn't it?

kazei maru
03-10-2008, 09:50 AM
A little of both... The CF does 16 bit sound, which is higher quality. Then the speaker is a high wattage that the CF can drive better than an MR board. It's frequency response is darn good for it's size too.

I've asked for samples for bigger ones, I'm just glad I order extras all the time. I have a few to tide me over.

On the headphone speakers... not sure that'd work well. Most headphones only go for mW where the "premium" one is a whole 1W. I'm not saying it won't work, but that it might not be as good as you hope. If it's not being used I guess it's worth a shot.

Thanks Xwing! I'll have to research this a little more. I'm trying to build the best saber I can when I get my CF board.

Mad Hatter
03-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Has anyone tried this one?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=P12055-ND

Panasonic Hi-Fi
30mm diam
8ohm
3W
250-20k range

Sethski
03-14-2008, 05:41 PM
I got some of these and others sent as freebie samples:

http://www.aatc.tw/manufacturer/speaker/round/adk-2808ab-14.htm

Always worth asking, they work well.

sfer1
03-26-2008, 11:58 AM
I found a 1.1" diameter speaker (8 Ohms 84 dB 1 Watt):
http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/product.php?productid=410105&cat=0&page=1

:cool:

Sohryu76
03-28-2008, 09:01 AM
I got some of these and others sent as freebie samples:

http://www.aatc.tw/manufacturer/speaker/round/adk-2808ab-14.htm

Always worth asking, they work well.

hey Sethski...
I'm tech illiterate... what is the difference between those and these?
http://www.aatc.tw/manufacturer/speaker/round/ak-2808ab-8.htm
(i put in a sample request for both, of course i have a nice official e-mail address and title for when i do my requests :cool: haha!)

of course i still plan on picking up Tim's speaker, just to do all the comparisons!