PDA

View Full Version : New Parts...

Strydur
02-08-2006, 10:50 PM
The adapters and the extension tubes are finally in. Here are a bunch of pictures. I have a ton of these in stock. I think I am going to end up running out of MHS LED/Blade holders though so order quick if you want to be sure to get one. I have more on order but you know how that can go sometimes[V]

Adapter...
../scripts/adapter.jpg
../scripts/adapter1.jpg
../scripts/adapter2.jpg
../scripts/adapter3.jpg
../scripts/adapter4.jpg
../scripts/adapter5.jpg
../scripts/adapter6.jpg

Extension..
../scripts/extension1.jpg
../scripts/extension2.jpg
../scripts/extension3.jpg
../scripts/extension4.jpg

And here is a picture of all of the MHS parts now available.
../scripts/mhsparts1.jpg
From left to right..
End cap - Adapter - Extension - Hilt - EL holder - LED holder

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

GrimaOllak
02-08-2006, 11:06 PM
God bless us, every one.

I placed my order. You have no idea, man. I've been checking your site about 5-6 times a day for the past month waiting for these puppies. I did a little dance when I just saw you'd received them!

Also, I noted this in my payment info, but I recall you mentioned in one of the threads on here that you could machine the adapter/holders to fit INSIDE the 1.5" sink tubes, so I asked that you do that to both pieces. That's easily done, right?

And I also noticed the shipping price was lowered. Stryder, don't take this the wrong way, but if you were here right now in person, I'd hug you, man. You've made my whole week! [:D]

gundamaniac
02-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Ohhh beautiful, beautiful! Now we don't even need to request the nonMHS bladeholders, since you have the adapters in stock. As a quick check, the heatsink is sandwiched between the bladeholder and the adapter, yes? Very very very cool, can't wait to get my hands on these babies.

A Jedi gains power through understanding; a Sith gains understanding through power.

Strydur
02-08-2006, 11:23 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I recall you mentioned in one of the threads on here that you could machine the adapter/holders to fit INSIDE the 1.5" sink tubes, so I asked that you do that to both pieces.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The adapter allready fits inside the sink tube[:D] But yes I can machine the LED holder to also fit inside the sink tube if you ask.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">the heatsink is sandwiched between the bladeholder and the adapter, yes?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That is correct

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

scaarmor
02-09-2006, 03:54 AM
Very nice Tim. I love the screw in style you have created. Would make your new quick change LED setup all the more easy and "quick". My only regret is that I have to wait for my income tax return to come in before I have the money to place an order. Hopefully you will still have some in stock, but if it werent for bad luck I wouldnt have any luck at all (as the old saying goes). So I am almost positive they will be gone by the time I have money (in a week or so). But from the way it sounds you would just be out of the blade holders, right? Maybe I can order everything but and wait for them to come in again[:(].

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

BenReilly
02-09-2006, 08:44 AM
AHHHH i made my order right before you got this in.........

GrimaOllak
02-09-2006, 12:49 PM
One more question: What's the total length of the adapter + holder? I know your old holders used to be around 2.5", but how much more length does the adapter add?

::edit::
Nevermind, it occurred to me that the pic of the adapter/holder combo was actual size, so I put my ruler up to the screen (I'm high tech, I know [:D]). Tim, does 3.75-4" sound about right?

xwingband
02-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Okies, if the holder could be machined to fit inside the 1.5" tube, other than a mass rush of people asking you to do that, why wasn't this mentioned as an option before??? Theortically this whole time we could have asked you to do that, and the extension piece wouldn't be needed unless you wanted to do that. You'd just do it like before with the old holders and just ignore the threads. I and many others could probably care less if there was .5" of threads being unused. I doubt that that would bother anyone's design too much also.

I got thinking on this because the idea of having screws too far from the emitter with the extension bothered me and wondered why it we couldn't just drill and tap a hole like before. That's when the extension piece seemed irrelevant to me.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

scaarmor
02-09-2006, 01:46 PM
X-wing, It looks from the pic as if the blade holder itself is just a touch bigger than the sink tube. However, if they could be machined down slightly I would agree with you. It would be advantagious to have one blade holder that would work in both systems. BUT-if he were to do that it raises a question-If there were threads coming out the end into the sink tube, there would be nothing to attach the heatsink/LED/optics to,right? Also, Tim, I read that the adapter mounts in and the blade holder screws down to sandwich the LED/optics between heatsink and blade holder. But from the pics I cannot tell what holds the heatsink in place. What do we mount the heatsink to so that it is supported when it gets sanwiched? Maybe I just missed something, which is possible, I am working off severe sleep deprevation. If so, sorry for the dumb question, am I just confused???

Cain

***A man is known by the enemies he carries, so make the best ones you can.***

***Give me a decent foothold and I will move the world.***

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Strydur
02-09-2006, 02:01 PM
The reason is that there was no easy way to hold the heatsink portion to the blade holder portion. On the modular hilt it is sandwiched between the hilt and the blade holder.

I think this should answer both of your questions..but maybe not

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

xwingband
02-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Ahh yes that would be it. I can see from the cut away view that that's what normally happens. The extension must also do that. It matters not I bought the extension anyway...[:p] I was just thinking.

Okay Tim, how about this:

If the threads were extended maybe another 1/2 inch and the heat sink made to go inside the thread instead of sitting outside it. Then make threads in the inside. Now a third new part is made, it would be a thin circular ring with thread on the outside meant to screw into the holder. This would make it so the heatsink was secure and the holder could be used in both as long as the outside was milled for the sink tube.

Like this: (magenta is new part)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/reelbigporter/basicledmhsmod.jpg

archammer2
02-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Curse you, Tim! You won't be happy until you have all of this poor, starving college student's pay check, will you? [;)]

Seriously, though, they look great. I'll probably have to buy at least one extension wih my next order.

Thanks, TIm, for making this so easy for those of us with little skill and/or experience.

Strydur
02-09-2006, 05:40 PM
I need the module hilt blade holders for..the modular hilts.
The mhs to sink tube adapter allows you to not only use the blade holders but also the end caps, extensions, etc..
Doing it this way just adds allot more option and 2 less parts for me to stock.

And yes the extension is the same as the hilt so you could also lock the heatsink in place using the extension piece. They all have the same thread etc.. By the time I am done adding MHS parts there will be probably 100 combinations possible if not more.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

gundamaniac
02-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Man oh man am I psyched. What you're doing here is brilliant by the way, with the only negative being that I feel a bit guilty buying parts off of you when "true Jedi" or whatnot should be building their own lightsabers. Then again, I also got a driver board instead of making my own...

I have a question. Now that you've figured out that you can sandwich the heatsink between the bladeholder and the extension piece instead of needing to screw the heatsink directly to the bladeholder, is there any chance of a release that'll fit a 1.25" sinktube, or are you going with a standardized scheme with parts that can all be used interchangeably? Great work by the way; I'm just wondering because my current lightsaber design planned for it to be built around a 1.25" sinktube, but I will change it for the 1.5" bladeholder/adapter if need be.

A Jedi gains power through understanding; a Sith gains understanding through power.

Strydur
02-09-2006, 09:24 PM
At this time I wont be doing a 1.25 setup as far as anything to do with the modular hilt anyways. I will look into doing a 1.25 setup just for the sink tubes when I get time.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Strydur
02-09-2006, 09:31 PM
I hate to say this but I only have about 5 LED blade mounts left. Once they are gone it will be a few weeks before I have more. Which means I wont have any LED mount in any setup for a little while.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

xwingband
02-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Oh man... I'm glad I bought mine.

Strydur
02-09-2006, 09:55 PM
3 left

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Mur-Pa DiLos
02-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Is that the heat sink portion or the blade emitter part?

Strydur
02-10-2006, 01:07 AM
I am all out now..

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

wood7588
02-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Tim,
Now comes the endless days of customers whining about when you will be getting more in stock. LOL.

Xwing,
I saw your suggestion for the heat sink mount for the MHS blade holder. I had a similar idea using the adapter ring. It may seem like a waste but I was planning to cut down the adapter until only about an 1/8" was left after the heat sink to save space. This along with milling the blade holder down in diameter will hopefully make the holder roughly the same size as the first generation blade holder. I think a picture would explain it better but that technology escapes me right now.

Mur-Pa DiLos
02-10-2006, 01:26 AM
The heat sink portion too!?!?! I just want the quick disconnect kits![:D] lol

Strydur
02-10-2006, 01:45 AM
Yes, no blade holders or heatsink's left...100's more on order.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop