PDA

View Full Version : heads up cheap SW-616

Darth_DevilGuy
02-02-2008, 02:38 PM
ok so this thing looks like a total P.O.S. but it's probably got the best sound of any of the MR boards being as it has both sith and jedi soundsets and can run an RGB LED. not to mention MR boards are the only game in town right now.

I just got one at my local radio shack for 59.99 it said manager's special, but I know how radio shack works, they probably all have them for cheap.

good hunting everyone.

savyas
02-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I'll have to go check the local radio shacks. $59 for a descent sound board ain't half bad.. and don't forget the pommels and emitters. I'm almost done constructing a saber using a sink tube, the obi-like emitter, and the hex pommel. Search for my name to find the thread.

If it truly is a manager's special then I doubt my local store will have one - seeing as how I bought 3 of their 6 when they were 79.99. Perhaps one of the other local stores will have them on sale though ;)

Ghostbat
02-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Damn, I already bought out my local store when they were at $80 including tax, good find!

kiltedmikey
02-02-2008, 08:16 PM
My local Radio Shack(NC) had them as a manager special($60) as well.

Moordak
02-08-2008, 06:37 AM
My local one in Charleston, WV had them for $70 on special.

Barmic Rin
02-11-2008, 02:58 PM
The only stockist i've found over here was churning them out for £90!!!!!

It's disgraceful the amount we have to pay for things over here!

Darth_DevilGuy
02-11-2008, 03:01 PM
thats cause it's a radioshack exclusive, any one you come by in the UK had to be bought at retail here $99 originally, then imported to the UK, add stupefying tariffs, then add whatever that guy's profit margin is. you end up with stupid high prices.

MattB
02-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Barmic, Play.com have them for £49.99 pre-order (showing due on 22nd Feb).

Might be worth it as you can always cancel if you find a cheaper one.

Barmic Rin
02-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Dude!!!!!!

Haven't seen you on in AGES!!!!!

I had a look at the one they had in a store in Bluewater, and wasn't impressed at the hilt pieces. I'm sure the sound board isn't too bad, but Erv should have some CF's ready in march, so that'll be my Birthday pressie to myself!

Darth_DevilGuy
02-11-2008, 03:34 PM
the sound is good, with the bonus of having both sith and jedi soundsets, it's basically an MR board, the kit's plastic hilt covers are unimpressive but the pommels and emitters are aluminum, I think this is one of the best sabers to buy if your just going to break it down.

Barmic Rin
02-11-2008, 03:36 PM
I have enough sabers to put together without me being tempted to do more!

LOL!!!

Just saving to do a big order from Tim to finish those ones off.

savyas
02-12-2008, 06:22 AM
I picked up the last 2 from my local radio shack for $70 each.. someone was walking out of the store with 12 of them as I was walking in! Apparently he's shipping them to Japan, or so the clerk said.

strengthofrage
02-15-2008, 06:23 AM
I picked up one yesterday for $59, I got it home and put some batteries in it, it sounds really good (I have only used Hasbro so far). I am headed back to Radio Shack today for another.

Does anyone know if our 4AAA battery packs will do any damage to the MR board? They come with a 3AAA pack...

savyas
02-15-2008, 08:07 AM
it's happy with 4AAA

strengthofrage
02-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Great, thanks Savyas. I went and got another this morning. I think I am going to see how well it does running the LuxIII on it's own...

Anyone try driving a LuxIII from one of these MR boards yet? I would imagine it would be the same as the other MR boards...

Darth_DevilGuy
02-15-2008, 10:54 AM
there's a thread on these in the misc forums, it says it looks about the same as a lux III conversion of a standard MR saber.

Darth_DevilGuy
02-15-2008, 10:57 AM
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=3398

3rd or 4th page there's pics and instructions for a complete breakdown. as well as comparison pics with an MR conversion, though thats with the standard prolight LED, don't know what a lux III would look like in there.

strengthofrage
02-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks, that should help... I haven't torn it apart yet, been avoiding the little MR 'pins of doom' lol

savyas
02-15-2008, 04:05 PM
the pins are actually quite easy to remove. whack 'em!

tullfan81
02-20-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure about how I'm going to wire all this together, but i LOVE the sound this thing produces. I was blown away by how loud it is and how clear the sounds are. If anyone has any experience wiring these or has a diagram showing how it differs from the regular MR boards i would really appreciate it.

savyas
02-20-2008, 08:26 PM
I just finished wiring up a 4xAA battery pack with a buckpuck and a reed relay. I tried to wire a latching switch between the board and the battery, leaving the switch on the board in the on position, but that resulted in no powerdown sound. I ended up de-soldering the switch from the board and replacing it with another latching switch. I'll post a diagram at some point on another thread.

Having just received my 1st batch of MHS hilt pieces, I'm still trying to decide how I want to build a battery pack to fit inside it, so the wiring diagram is likely going to change. I'll post it though, however it turns out.