PDA

View Full Version : How strong is PC tubing

supertrogdor
02-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Has anyone thoroughly stress tested the pc tubing? What lengths has anyone taken to test thier durability?
I noticed in the video that there is substantial weight tolerance, however that is more of a gradual stress as opposed to a harsh dueling impact? Ex. what we would see when 2 strapping lads were to duel with them? or if you hit it with a hammer or something to this effect, has anyone tested this? or something similar?

Strydur
02-08-2006, 09:42 PM
I am 6'1" and not as light weight as I used to be....but nevermind that....

Anyways, I have taken the PolyC that I sell and full force and I mean full force against concrete..notta
full force against that corner my wooden workbench ended up with pieces of wood flying and a scuff mark on my PolyC

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

scaarmor
02-08-2006, 10:42 PM
I also am 6'1" and I fight in the SCA, so believe me when I tell you I know how to use a sword. Anyway, me and a bunch of my SCA fighter buddies have dueled full force, full contact, with the intent to injure eac hother or break them. The best we could to is shatter one of the acrylic tips and put a crease in the middle of the blade. But mind you, that crease was only put there after beating the thing full force on everything we could find and about 10 people bending the thing over there knee giving it everything they had.

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

supertrogdor
02-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks Guys, That was the kind of input i was looking for
cheers

scaarmor
02-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Has anyone else managed to crease this stuff? It took considerable effort and I dont want to think I am the only idiot who deliberately ruined a perfectly good blade just to see if it were possible to bend it in half[:I]? I know Tim and others have done extensive testing on the hit durability but I had heard little about bending it. After seeing what it took to crease it I know say with confidence that I believe, even under heavy, heavy duelling circumstances, these things will not disapoint! Tim sells a quality product here[:D]. Unlike MR's that will break, shatter, fly apart and otherwise send things flying (usually at your face, as if some last measure of spite[:D]) when you hit to hard with them. I mean come on, all we wanted was a product we could beat the hell out of our friends with without the usual loss of limbs, and occasionally hit our house, sidewalk, brick wall, or unlucky bystander with and not worry about it breaking and watching our $13 bucks go down the drain. $13 BUCKS MAN, thats like half a pizza!!![:D][:D][:D]

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

xwingband
02-09-2006, 10:10 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by scaarmor
$13 BUCKS MAN, thats like half a pizza!!![:D][:D][:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Where are you buying pizza.[:0] In my town we have the 444 deal (like Pizza Huts 555, but better.[:D]). So that's three pizzas for me... I'm not sure breaking it is worth it.[:p]

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

scaarmor
02-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Yeah, good luck getting a good deal on anything in this two bit, pokmark on the ass of the world, village they call a town I live in...Nothing worse than a 3 mile town of people in cowboy hats asking "A, why ya'll dressed up in shinah plastics hittin people wit sticks n' such, dont it hurt?" YES IT FREAKIN HURTS!!! Thats why we do it! If you get hit in a spot that hurts you remember to block it the next time.*Huff-Huff* Sorry I didnt know that finding out X-wing got a better deal on pizza would send me off the deep end[:I].

Cain

psab keel
02-09-2006, 02:00 PM
I've actually done a hammer test. I've taken a piece of Polycarbonate tubing and laid it down on concrete and struck it full force against the concrete with the hammer. It dented, but would not break, even after repeated beatings. I figured that if it could withstand a hammer then that is more force that it would ever come up against. Basically if you aim to break this stuff it's not imposssible, everything has a breaking point, but if it can with stand a hammer then that's more force than it will ever come up against. Also, I personally use 1/16th wall polycarbonate tubing. I can only imagine the impact strength of 1/8 walled tubing.[:)]

Follow Your Bliss

Protein5000
02-10-2006, 12:35 AM
I know the MR blades are thinner than 1/16", and I've seen the strength test but how do they stand up to dueling? Can you convert it and duel hard with it? Anyone broke theirs while dueling?

I'm 5'11" and 200 pound bodybuilder, and when me and my brother duel, after 5 minutes, whatever we were using is completely destroyed - does an MR blade have a chance?

Mur-Pa DiLos
02-10-2006, 01:11 AM
I've duelled with the blades as well, and nothing, I repeat nothing in Martial Arts style fighting will hurt these blades, of course, I'm not Cain![:D]lol.

BTW Cain, I know how you feel. I come from Orange County, Ca and now I'm in Flagstaff, Az because of school and there is like nothing here. But at least it still isn't as bad as Prescott, I'm sorry Cain.[:D]

wood7588
02-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Protein,
This was posted over on The Force boards. It is Hyperdynes homemade blade vs a MR blade. I think it speaks for itself.
www.hyperdynelabs.com/saber/redsaber_dueltst2_mov.mov

Protein5000
02-10-2006, 02:14 AM
By Jingoes!!!

Blade snapped off after what looked like very light dueling.

That would never work for me.

Thanks Wood!

WeirdoTransvestite
02-10-2006, 04:06 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband
(like Pizza Huts 555, but better.[:D]).

That's Domino's, not Pizza Hut

Those who see the light at the end of the tunnel, need to stop staring at the sun.

xwingband
02-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Ooops... it matters not.[:p] I'm in a college town and the combination of mountain dew and pizza is like a life line.[8D]

WeirdoTransvestite
02-10-2006, 07:01 PM
It's a life line all the time, not just in college

Those who see the light at the end of the tunnel, need to stop staring at the sun.

arlaman
02-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Has anyone tried using one for target practice? When I get mine I'll use a scrap peice and see how well it stands up to .44 magnum.

xwingband
02-13-2006, 09:37 AM
I would never do that myself[:0], but pictures... me wantee.[:D]

supertrogdor
02-13-2006, 09:57 AM
A bullet test would be interesting, if i have enough scrap ill post the 9mm report

xwingband
02-13-2006, 10:00 AM
It'd have to be a good shot. I bet unless you got a straight shot it would deflect it.

Nightwing
02-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Why do I get the feeling that "lightsaber bullet-blocking" is soon going to become a sport?

LAN-ED-TUL
02-13-2006, 12:03 PM
well i'll tell ya what, you be the first in line to try it out, lol i'll hang back and call the ambulance.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

xwingband
02-13-2006, 12:06 PM
I can picture it now: [Insert name of local TV station] with the headline "Can you believe he's still alive?!?!"

Requisite video would be needed.[:D]

scaarmor
02-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Hey, I saw them deflect blasters in the movies and it didnt "look" that hard to do[:D][:D][:D]!Shouldnt be to much different right?

<font color="blue">SERIOUSLY THOUGH,</font id="blue"> Lets not see any videos of kids trying to do this. As funny as it would be to say "Damn can you believe he actually thought that would work"- It would still be quite unfortunate.

Ive got xtra tube and a 9mm but I would never find the time to fire it. But I have seen bullet proof plastic testing before. Testing so called "bullet proof plastic" was a bit disturbing. Most of these would stop a 22 or a 9mm but any bigger just ripped right through it. I dont think the PolyC will hold up to a bullet, but if it did...That would be fun to know wouldnt it?

Cain

***A man is known by the enemies he carries, so make the best ones you can.***

***Give me a decent foothold and I will move the world.***

LAN-ED-TUL
02-13-2006, 04:40 PM
fun maybe, but i wouldnt try it. maybe call it in to the mythbusters. theyre stupid enuff to try it.

suit_man
02-13-2006, 05:09 PM
last year, i wanted to build a sword replica from a game called lineage II. i don't know the name of the sword, but it was huge, about 5-6 feet long. i was goind to make it out of polyC sheet, but the kind i needed was bullet resistant and would have cost about $2,000 [xx(]

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

WeirdoTransvestite
02-13-2006, 05:18 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by scaarmor
[br
Ive got xtra tube and a 9mm but I would never find the time to fire it. But I have seen bullet proof plastic testing before. Testing so called "bullet proof plastic" was a bit disturbing. Most of these would stop a 22 or a 9mm but any bigger just ripped right through it. I dont think the PolyC will hold up to a bullet, but if it did...That would be fun to know wouldnt it?

Well if Tim's blades could stop a 9mm, that would sure put an end to any dueling fears I have when going full force, now wouldn't it?

vadeblade
02-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Kinda, sorta related to the current direction this thread was going.
Sword vs bullet - 9MM i think...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3818187790122256202&q=samurai&pr=goog-sl

They later made Sword vs 50 cal machinegun. I think the sword took 5 direct hits before it shattered.

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."

http://www.geocities.com/projectstm/lightsaber.html

vadeblade
02-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Google "sword versus 50 cal youtube" if you want to see the Sword vs 50 cal video. It's amazing and funny.

I have an Airsoft game coming up this saturday. Maybe I'll take my lightsaber and try deflecting some 6mm BBs. [:D]

BenReilly
02-14-2006, 01:01 PM
The next time my brothers are going to play paintball, i think i may go out there with just my saber and see how i fare.

WeirdoTransvestite
02-14-2006, 02:03 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by vadeblade
I have an Airsoft game coming up this saturday. Maybe I'll take my lightsaber and try deflecting some 6mm BBs. [:D]

[Airsoft Lingo]
Good luck, AEG's and GBB's propel those little buggers pretty fast, I tried that, but no luck.
[/Airsoft Lingo]

xwingband
02-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Yeah, it'll take BBs. Even an MR can do that. Personal experience of laying the smack down on friends who think it's funny to shoot someone not paying attention.[}:)]

jedi_ the0ry
02-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Holy crap, that sword CUT the bullet in 1/2...wow. BTW, my pal and I are making a choreographed duel to send into AtomFilms' contest, and after an hour of rather heavy dueling, my blades are fine, I would rather use a thicker blade though, for my own assurance.

xwingband
02-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Impressive, but I'm not suprised. Ever seen the mythbusters catching a bullet episode? It exploded in the steel jaw they made. If it was a lead bullet it's not that suprising.

Reaper
03-08-2006, 08:09 PM
By the way, this is about an older topic, but the bulletproof plastic is called Lexan (sp?.. that's how it's pronounced, anyway). They use it, along w/ other things, to make bullet proof glass. It generally protects against anything but rifle bullets... my dad and I shot it w/ a 9mm, a 45cal, and a 7.62x39. The only that went through was the 7.62. Anyway, I guess the moral of the story is that, if someone can dent it w/ a hammer, it can probably be shot through. Kinda off topic, but I just thought that was cool.

Madcow
03-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Cool,
For the rest of us, I would advise against trying to deflect incoming small arms fire with a home built lightsaber - no matter how much of a Jedi you think you are.

Tongue in cheek,
MC

http://rpetkau.photosite.com/~photos/tn/88_348.ts1141004694072.jpg
You want to go home and re-think your life

james3
03-08-2006, 09:56 PM
I don't know MC, with one of them crystal sabers of yours I'm thinkin' we could do some serious deflection.[;)]

GFORCE13
03-09-2006, 06:15 AM
Now Imagine a Solid Lexan Rod in a 1" Dia., I bought one installed the Half Ball at the End, I got it for super heavy dueling and daytime use since it doesn't light up right with the Luxeon 3W, but is absolutely totally indestructable.

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

supertrogdor
03-09-2006, 09:53 AM
how thoroughly have you tested it gforce? i would be interested to see a spec sheet on lexan rods to if you could point me in the right direction

vadeblade
03-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Isn't Lexan just a brandname for polycarbonate?

thestr8metaledge
03-09-2006, 03:06 PM
sorry if this is a dumb question...

bit of a directional change here, but related to pc strength I believe. do you need a special tool or tools to cut it? the reason I ask is I have a blade from the shop sitting here and it's a tad long for me. I'd like to cut a few inches off it, maybe 3 or 4, but all I have that would possibly do a decent job (that I can think of) is a vise and hacksaw. how well would that fare, does anyone know? or if it wouldn't work, does anyone know of a place that might have the tools to do it for me?

this is my first saber project and I have no idea what I'm doing for the most part, so again if that was a dumb question sorry bear with me?[:)]

xwingband
03-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Pipe cutter.

<center>http://www.geocities.com/ghost_soldiers_unit/gs_banner_trans2.gif

scaarmor
03-09-2006, 08:24 PM
I used a hacksaw, works fine. You just have to be sure your cut is level so the tip doesnt look funny.

Cain

***A man is known by the enemies he carries, so make the best ones you can.***

***Give me a decent foothold and I will move the world.***

james3
03-09-2006, 10:07 PM
I am fond of a ratching pipe cutter, you can pick it up at Home Depot or Lowes for a few bucks. What I like is that once you crank down to where the blade is touching the pipe you can double check to make sure that you are straight.

Madcow
03-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I have a pipe cutter, but using it I find I still need to file/sand down the edge. I prefer a hacksaw and a $3 mitre box (and a $2 clamp). I wouldn't just do it in a vise - The angle would be off.

MC

http://rpetkau.photosite.com/~photos/tn/88_348.ts1141004694072.jpg
You want to go home and re-think your life

thestr8metaledge
03-09-2006, 11:40 PM
sweet deal, thanks people. james3, how much is a few bucks?

LAN-ED-TUL
03-10-2006, 04:20 AM
actually you could cut off the blade holder end and have tip glued on good end.

james3
03-10-2006, 07:49 AM
Brasscraft
Hose And PVC Tube Cutter

Model T012-X

Price: $9.97/ea

Home Depot, I bought mine in a kit with a few other tools for PVC when I was living in Florida. I think if you hit the stores instead of online you may find a better deal then that, the $30 cutter is the exact same thing but has grip covers and unless you plan on starting a career in lawn sprinkers I don't think that's very important. Madcow's recommendation of the miter box and saw is awsome if you have a little work space. I tend to minimize tools due to the fact that space is at a premium in this household, my "workspace" is the top of the washer and dryer which can be a real pain when you are in the groove making progress with your hilt and then the washer stops and it's time to change over the loads.[;)]

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

supertrogdor
03-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Has anyone used a miter saw? If so do we need a special blade? I seem to remember Tim posting someting of that nature in the OUCH thread... am i wrong?

james3
03-10-2006, 10:55 AM
I would think that so long as you use a blade with a really high TPI that you could do it.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Reaper
03-11-2006, 01:04 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexan

Polycarbonate is a type of Lexan... but the stuff I have doesn't dent w/ a hammer... it's too flexible, since it's flat. Since the blade material is in a cylindrical tube form, it's probably easier to dent than a flat sheet. In any case, I think I will have to test a chunk next time I go shooting. I'll let you know how it goes. But, considering I was having trouble blocking a nerf gun's shot with my saber, I don't think people would fare too well against bullets. Maybe learn the force first. haha

supertrogdor
04-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Ok so here is the 9 mm test results

http://media.livedigital.com/pictures/25/7b/257b9f360a720905fd4a49304bedc719_rs.jpg

i cut one of my blades down 4 inches and figured we all want to know the results here. The number 1 hole was a 115 grain fmj 9mm round
the number 2 was a partially jacketed hollowpoint round also 115 grain. The shot was relatively close range (about 15 feet) and i only missed once weeee. The entry hole on the regluar round almost completely resealed itself, I expect that was due to the heat. The entry of the hollowpoint round left a gaping hole, but the exit wound of that round did considerably more damage, as was expected. The end result is that we should really not try and block bullets with our lightsabers, at least not anything traveling that fast or hot.[:)]
any questions that i did not answer?
cheers

Do-Clo
04-06-2006, 08:31 AM
I wonder if you used a 45 caliber round, would there be anything left of the poly-c tube to be found? Interesting pictures the results were as I expected.

Do-Clo

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/Do-Clo/DarthVader.gif
Don't make me destroy you...

LAN-ED-TUL
04-06-2006, 11:09 PM
whoah so cool. nice shootin tex!

SaberSentinel
04-07-2006, 12:46 PM
I would love to see the results from a .45. If you posess the inclination (I guess a .45 wouldn't hurt either lol)could you post pics?

Speak softly and carry a big lightsaber.

supertrogdor
04-10-2006, 08:01 AM
I might be able to get my hands on a .22 and a .357, but there is also the issue of i dont have any more pc tubing to shoot. If I end up with any more scrap pieces and a spare hour some weekend, ill let everyone know

GreytaleNovastar1138
04-17-2006, 05:25 PM
I can only say this--about 1/8" 1" dia poly-c... it's pretty incredible.

I am putting together a large staged battle featuring Luxeon sabers (Tim is designing at least two of the sabers, and Corbin has been doing most of the rest with help from a few others)...

The blade film gets kinks and all that, and the blades are getting scuffed (duh), but I seriously doubt any of the blades will ever break. I've whacked some things pretty hard too, and it's just not going to happen.

I'm actually curious to see if we could use slightly thinner poly-c and STILL get away with it--but it isn't neccesary.

** The Cutting Edge **
http://www.thecuttingedge.s5.com
----
"No. Try not. DO... or do not. There is no 'try'..." -- Jedi Master Yoda, ESB
"Well... if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that is farthest from..." -- Luke, ANH

Zhi-don
05-03-2006, 10:24 AM
I have personally broken Parks 1/8 inch x 3/4 walled blades, but the reason was that the wire inside twisted in time until it cause a pressure fracture from inside the blade. Of course this can't happend with 1/8 x 1 inch LED blades. I've also seen MR blades dented and warped from combat with shinai's. I personally don't think any hit from any shinai or other poly blade would ever damage the 1/8 inch walled x 1 inch wide blades. I will personally find out in the next few weeks. I am taking my Ultrasaber to my class tonight and will be constantly dueling with for some time. I will post results under the LED blade section.

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base
Treasurer/Head Instructor
Lightsaber training OCSWS

gundamaniac
05-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Good luck! And if the blade holds up, I'll have that much more confidence in my blade (as if I didn't already, from your reports of your class)

A Jedi gains power through understanding; a Sith gains understanding through power.

Zhi-don
05-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Update on the 40 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch walled poly blades. I took one of these to class Wednesday and we beat the living crap out of it. Nothing! Nada! No breaks, no cracks. I am here to tell you that we really tried to give it a real workout. At the end of the evening all there was to show was a few scuff marks from the other poly blades and a lot of black tape residue from the shinai. No other damage. The standard HMS hilt seems a bit blade heavy and hard to fight with due to that. On Sundays class Jedi Loreen brought her new HMS blade extension and this actually solved the weight problem. With the extension on the hilt, the balance moved to about 2 inches from the emitter on the blade. I dueled with modified hilt again for about an hour or so and found it to be much easier to do than without the extension. I am sure that more weight in the pommel would do the trick also. Adding a sound unit to the hilt also might work.

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base

informalmyx
05-08-2006, 08:06 AM
cool the worsti have done to my saber is put to marks on if from my shuriken and beat it agiast a tree

<center>http://webpages.charter.net/myxmyth/infomyx.jpg
"Many claim to have found serenity, and through serenity to have overcome anger. Such arrogance is astounding."</center>

Rod-Wan
05-23-2006, 10:59 PM
I've busted a few 1/16" walled el blades from using pointed set screws that were put in too tightly so those of you that are doing this make sure you're not "boaring" into the blade you only want it to go in enough to "bite" so the blade doesn't come flying out.

http://images1.fotki.com/v317/photos/9/917943/3581808/jotorsig-vi.jpg?22436
http://images17.fotki.com/v308/photos/9/917943/3581808/Animation4-vi.gif?225169http://images16.fotki.com/v316/photos/9/917943/3581808/rwdsig-vi.jpg?48097
http://images17.fotki.com/v308/photos/9/917943/3581808/quotesig-vi.jpg?50056

Zhi-don
05-24-2006, 06:41 AM
I have a cutting tool from my old 60's dremel that is basically a round metal ball with cutting edges. This allows you to bore a slight dished hole in your blade without weakening it. I don't use the 1/16 walled blades anymore except with a wooden dowel rod inside covered with reflective paper for daytime practice. The only blade I ever broke was one from Parksabers. The wire attached to the EL paper twists until it forms a very tight knot which caused the blade to fracture at that point. On good hit with a J-Lo blade and crack...there it went. Clean break about an inch above the plug connector. I decided to keep it to show others why Lori's blades are better. Tim makes his the same way, so since Lori has retired from blade making, we can still get the same quality.

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base

Rod-Wan
05-24-2006, 10:31 AM
*nods* well you could just remake that blade like I did mine that broke, that being that you recut the remaining polycarbonate and "salvage" a shorter blade from the process. Just a thought, because anyone that isn't daft would know that Lori's (now refined with the 1/8" thick tubes) blade methode is the best... But at the same time I guess that means quite a few people are daft huh?[:p]lol

http://images17.fotki.com/v308/photos/9/917943/3581808/Animation4-vi.gif?225169http://images16.fotki.com/v316/photos/9/917943/3581808/rwdsig-vi.jpg?48097

Zhi-don
05-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Aye laddie, that they are. Given that I mostly use my sabers for dueling, a short blade is not an option. I like a 40 inch blade for that, given that I don't have a long arm reach and some of my students do.....[:)]

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base

Rod-Wan
05-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Ah, well I'm 6'4" so that's never been an issue with me.