PDA

View Full Version : Input Requested

santini
01-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Okay so I brought this idea up a few months ago but, now that a bit of extra money might be heading my way Ive been putting a bit more thought into it.

First one is just the underlying components, the others are options for possible blade holders
http://www.jarednuss.com/images/basketsaber2.jpg

MHS Components:
Hilt Style 1
6 inch double female
male to male connector
Thin neck Section "choke point"
Pommel 4

The trick will be figuring out how to securely attach the basket weave, though im thinking of some kind of c-ring at each end attached with 3 screws.

Any input is appreciated, especially on the blade holder as I want to go with 7 but I havent seen any good examples of how it can be set screwed and so im not to sure how it would look

special thanks to Arkai Halon for the render bitmap

TimeRender
01-27-2008, 12:52 PM
For the blade holder, 7 or 3 look pretty good on that saber. What I would do for the set screw on blade holder 7 (keeping in mind that I haven't ever done this so it is just an idea) is drill straight into it perpendicular to the inner wall, then use a knife to cut a small rubber washer to an angle to match the outside of the blade holder. You might want to use a drill press for this to ensure a good straight hole, or pay Tim a few bucks and he can drill it for you. As for attaching the woven section, have you considered small hose clamps?

ArkaiHalon
01-27-2008, 01:49 PM
i use a # 7 blade holder. TR is on the right track. I drilled in at 90 degrees to the inner wall. Sometimes I use a washer, sometimes not

Edit: you will also want to use the shorter thumbscrew. the longer ones just stick out to far.

Phiily Manyaan
01-31-2008, 12:52 PM
The one you have with the #3 blade holder looks just like the design i came up with while sitting in art class yesterday...weird. I hope it works out. Is it better to put the set screw toward the top or the bottom of the emitter??

Er Dan Gill
01-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Is it better to put the set screw toward the top or the bottom of the emitter??

Get it as close as possible to the top of the blade holder, with in reason. I drilled mine about a 1/4 inch from the edge.