PDA

View Full Version : Randomsabers has made a varyation of corbins saber malius.

Hasid Lafre
01-25-2008, 12:46 AM
http://randomsabers.com/saber.php?name=Delesor

I think its ugly as hell, What is it with people and claws? guess its something I will never understand.

MATRIXtjb
01-25-2008, 01:38 AM
Well Claws are like curves and that saber is closer to a fat chick than cindy crawford....lol

Hasid Lafre
01-25-2008, 03:18 AM
I dont know I guess I just dont like claws.

strengthofrage
01-25-2008, 05:08 AM
That doesn't look very good to me, but that is just me.

...I thought Random Sabers was not making any new sabers for a couple years?

vortextwist
01-25-2008, 05:57 AM
he's not takeing any new orders. Man you really can't make anything without someone trying to make a knock off.

Arm on Fire
01-25-2008, 06:01 AM
Im with ya Hasid, I cant stand claws, Thats one Fugly Knockoff of a saber.

strengthofrage
01-25-2008, 06:20 AM
Vortex makes a good point... I like the idea of peoples creations/customs inspiring ideas in others, but blatent 'knock-off's' kinda suck. I wonder if Corbin has seen it yet...

TimeRender
01-25-2008, 08:57 AM
A few elements of that saber are actually quite nice. I like the copper buttons and the milled detail plate. It's a perfect example of someone not knowing when to stop though... What were they thinking with those claws...?

Darth Tollo
01-25-2008, 09:20 AM
That just made me throw up in my mouth a little...

Do-Clo
01-25-2008, 09:24 AM
If claws are done right then it looks really good, those are not though.

ArkaiHalon
01-25-2008, 09:30 AM
ok, that saber looks ok from the emitter down. those "deadly prongs" look like a sick crawfish

Jay-gon Jinn
01-25-2008, 09:48 AM
The claws look horrible on that one....I'm not a big fan of them either, but I've seen some that don't look too bad, either. They also have a page for a "Malius" (http://www.randomsabers.com/saber.php?name=malius) saber....did Random make the unweatherd version for Corbin, or was he also copying that one for someone else...if so, so much for his "I never do the same saber twice" standard.

Hasid Lafre
01-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Corbin made the origional using that part off a fire extinguisher I think it was.

NOt sure why random has one but I know Corbin made the origional.

Ghostbat
01-25-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm going to take the unpopular view and say it's nice when someone does a different kind of claw.

I myself am of mixed feelings on claws, they seem too... easy for lack of a better word, not that I haven't seen some awesome claw sabers but they can be used to give a saber a "look" without really putting much design effort into it.

I can see myself making a one or two claw saber, maybe something similar to the long dooku single claw but I think the three or four claw look just isn't me.

My issues with this particular saber would be the suspicion that the said claws would not do well at all in a duel. That and the eye searing color scheme which hurts me as much as I admire it for being so boldly different.

The issue of copying Corbin's saber... well I certainly wouldn't do it, especially such a distinctive part, but then I wouldn't overtly copy the sabers built by the original propmakers either, and is making a Corbin inspired saber so different than making a Vader inspired saber? It's not for me but it's a tribute to the original maker I wouldn't begrudge.

Just my thoughts, your mileage may vary :)

Jay-gon Jinn
01-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Making a saber that is "inspired" by another is one thing, but blatantly copying it is something else, and is something I personally wouldn't do. At least, not something that is made from totally custom parts anyway....it's kind of hard to do a totally original saber using parts from the MHS.

Darth_DevilGuy
01-25-2008, 11:04 AM
fugly as hell.

that thing would look good if they did a few things, take away the claws, take away/fix the activation box, and use less stupid thumbscrews on the emmiter and blade holder.

Hasid Lafre
01-25-2008, 11:55 AM
The origional.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/sidecomparison.jpg

Ok I think I remember now, Corbin wanted an led version of the origional so he had random make this one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/malius1.jpg

Then I think someone wanted a stunt version or corbin wanted a stunt version as to not damage the origional. which that I could understand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/malius_stunt1.jpg

But one of his friends had damaged it when attempting a further weather job.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/collage.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/meltdown.jpg

But corbin was abel to repare it somewhat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/fullbefore2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/angles-1.jpg

Malaki Skywalker
01-25-2008, 11:58 AM
http://www.randomsabers.com/saber.php?name=malius

This arduous project began some time ago, and the saber designs are based off of an ancient design currently in the hands of the owner of Corbins Componnents
The largest obstacle in this project was trying to make a 'new' version of a 'weathered' original, especially since the hardware parts used on the original are out of production anymore. We used more brass on this saber than any other project yet. The hilt begins with a large, sweeping S-curve shroud, forked on top, with a small copper stud in the milled slot. The underside of the emitter hiding in the shroud is laced with small vent holes, while large thumbscrews sit on top, and hang from the bottom/sides of the shroud. The top thumbscrew features a glossy red acrylic sphere in it, while the two side thumbscrews feature blade set bolts for the LED blade. Along the slender grip section of the saber, lies a small section of grooved tubing, bolted to the body, and the sabers most prominent detail: a large activation box. The solid brass box features an oval shape, with rounded sides, along with a large domed button on top. Two machined brass bolts are screwed into the sides, anchoring the box to a shaped piece of copper wrapping around the saber. There is even a small recharge port on the side of the activation box, to recharge the batteries inside the handle. The grip of the saber is a piece of fluted tubing we had brass plated especially for this project. A small Krusell wheel flanks the side of the grip, while a stepped pommel section holds the electronics actual activation button.

Borrowing very heavily from the MALIUS LED saber in our galleries, this design swaps some metals and adds a set of deadly prongs

xwingband
01-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Both the standard and LED version Ryan previously did was for a fan film in which Corbin's character was used. I don't think the LED version ever flew. The customer that was working with Corbin to get them done was peeved that so many details were off.

I know he previously had parts taken off the LED one... I wonder if he still has the parts sitting around.

37H4N
01-25-2008, 01:54 PM
I've gotta go with the crowd, it's fugly.

It depends on the saber, but I like claws. I own two sabers with claws after all. But claws on this saber just kills it.

I can understand the whole "tribute" thing, but while I would be honored to have some one make a saber inspired from my custom, I wouldn't want them to be walking around with virtualy the same saber as me. It is a custom saber after all, so it's a personal saber. Now if some one made a saber using one or two parts of my saber, then fine go ahead, but a copy of the whole thing, no.

Hasid Lafre
01-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Thats what I don't like about randomsabers, its so easy to make a copy of a hilt. Where as on here we can get close but not exact.

So far Ive seen maybe 2 other sabers that were like ervs odditytwo design. But they were both different in one way or another.

You could look at both not knowing which was built first and someone would say yeah they look close to the same but then there not.

Adding claws to a design wont make it different its just adding claws to a blatant rip off.

Novastar
01-25-2008, 06:47 PM
"Delesor"?????!!

Delesor.

I guess it's "Rose LED" backwards. Hmm. Whatever.

Hasid Lafre
01-25-2008, 07:00 PM
LMAO, you must be good at them anagram type things huh nova?

TimeRender
01-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Somehow I wasn't sure that Delesor was "Rose Led" backwards, so I googled it. Delesor is a village in Turkey. Specifically it is a village in Turkey's Batman province. No... Seriously. It also occured to me that if you broke it down into it's component syllables it could be Spanish for "of his sister". De le is also French for "of the" but Sor doesn't translate. Anyway, just a bit of speculation for you.

Ghostbat
01-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Thats what I don't like about randomsabers, its so easy to make a copy of a hilt. Where as on here we can get close but not exact.

While I do not disagree with you there, I do seem to remember that there was an option to have your design be exclusive if you wanted... I could be hallucinating that, I was VERY busy when i found that site and once I found out they were not the option to get a hilt fast I forgot about the concept until I found this site and never looked back :)

Hasid Lafre
01-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Yep tcss for the win. so mutch knolage and help around here. where as there they are all just about the hilt and how much it dosent looklike a saber.

sekrogue1985
01-25-2008, 09:15 PM
yeah i've never been too much of a fan of randomsabers because they suffer from the well lets take this hilt add this and that and take of this then they do this about several more tiimes and come up with just varients of one hilt. Just way too many. though fun to look at it steals the main concept of what one wanted lol then again i'm working on a saber that is just a stripped garflex made out of a sink tube. But then again it was the first saber i ever drew so yup some sentimental stuff is in it.

Hasid Lafre
01-26-2008, 10:14 AM
I just dont like looking at some of the hilts that comes out of there and how they do not look like a lightsaber. All these angled rings and floating emitters.

Honestly the last saber that ry made that I liked was this one.

http://randomsabers.com/saber.php?name=Beskad

And even then its a slightly altered of one of jaina's sabers.

http://randomsabers.com/saber.php?name=jaina

I would rather make something thats based on what looked like it would be in the films, I am just an OT saber nut so iam gonna make something sudo obi(ANH)/luke(rotj) with some of my own differences.

sekrogue1985
01-26-2008, 12:04 PM
I just dont like looking at some of the hilts that comes out of there and how they do not look like a lightsaber. All these angled rings and floating emitters.

Honestly the last saber that ry made that I liked was this one.

http://randomsabers.com/saber.php?name=Beskad

And even then its a slightly altered of one of jaina's sabers.

http://randomsabers.com/saber.php?name=jaina

I would rather make something thats based on what looked like it would be in the films, I am just an OT saber nut so iam gonna make something sudo obi(ANH)/luke(rotj) with some of my own differences.

yeah i'm so bias i've got what i wanted Hasid Lafre. Though it's not what i originally envisioned when i was 5 but whatever i love it. It's got my Luke ROTJ stuff i love but yeah. Love it and on the work of learning to cut sink tubes hahaha

Jay-gon Jinn
01-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Ryan did make one that I thought was very cool, and so far, I haven't seen a saber done that is like it at all:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Agony%20lightsaber%20pics/agony.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Agony%20lightsaber%20pics/el-saber-3.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Agony%20lightsaber%20pics/el-saber-1-1.jpg

And, yes, I own it. It was actually my first machined aluminum hilt with electronics. Look for an update on some recent work on this one soon, in the thread I had for it.

Lord Maul
01-26-2008, 01:19 PM
That's a cool hilt, except for the switch. UGH :mad:

Jay-gon Jinn
01-26-2008, 01:31 PM
That's a cool hilt, except for the switch. UGH :mad:

That was the first thing I changed, Maul!

sekrogue1985
01-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Ryan did make one that I thought was very cool, and so far, I haven't seen a saber done that is like it at all:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Agony%20lightsaber%20pics/agony.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Agony%20lightsaber%20pics/el-saber-3.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Agony%20lightsaber%20pics/el-saber-1-1.jpg

And, yes, I own it. It was actually my first machined aluminum hilt with electronics. Look for an update on some recent work on this one soon, in the thread I had for it.

yeah i like it too strangly but not something i would really carry around maybe display idk but oddly it looks good agreed with maul that button yucky

Dark Helmet
01-27-2008, 02:34 AM
well...... i never liked there stuff from the start, but a friend of mine is bringing one over to see how to get the electronics can fit in..... on that note, my favorite saber so far is based on erves oddy2.....i friggin love this thing, it feels so perfect and balanced, so if i'm a copycat, so be it, but customsprops can eat me! these are generally poorly machined one piece hilts with little to offer for customising, AND based on some random persons interpretaition of what the books/video games told him they looked like. I also understand that the blade kit he offers from time to time comes from tcss, so you will never see another kit from him as long as tims heatsink style 2 is out of stock.......

Dark Helmet
01-27-2008, 02:41 AM
had to edit my full response.... damn, i went off on a full rant about another company lol

Hasid Lafre
01-27-2008, 03:53 AM
WEll iam not saying really anything about based on being a copy cat but what we are talking about is a blaitent copy with just claws added to it as a base for the convo/topic and how much that RS really sucks.

Theres maybe a total of 10 designs that they have put out that I like and there mostly based ont eh same clansaber liek design.

myksspott
02-01-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't really like this saber but then again I'm not a fan of the original either. Just too much brass and the weathered look put me off, but you guys seem to be jumping to conclusions a little. Ry at Randomsabers makes hilts based on designs by his customers. There are a number that he has made that are ugly to be blunt, but in fairness that is not the machinests fault. If the customer wants a feature (ugly or not) the machinest can try and persaude the customer but in the end he has to bite his toungue.

As to the point about lack of customization on the hilts, well they are fully completed designs. Custom made, for the customer, so you really you can't get much more customizable than that. Anything added to the hilts after they have been made is kinda superflous.

A friend of mine owns two sabers auctioned from Random and they are very well made, they are not to my taste but then they weren't made for me.

TCSS and Randomsabers are two very different sites and i am a fan of both. Both make the same product but in different and interesting ways and, really, isn't that the point?

Darth_DevilGuy
02-01-2008, 05:56 PM
yeah I understand him not turning down business, but ask a tattoo artist, if someones going to spend all that money doing something that can't be easily changed, a good artist will do their level best to steer a client away from something that they know will look retarded.

TimeRender
02-01-2008, 06:23 PM
I don't really like this saber but then again I'm not a fan of the original either. Just too much brass and the weathered look put me off, but you guys seem to be jumping to conclusions a little. Ry at Randomsabers makes hilts based on designs by his customers. There are a number that he has made that are ugly to be blunt, but in fairness that is not the machinests fault. If the customer wants a feature (ugly or not) the machinest can try and persaude the customer but in the end he has to bite his toungue.

As to the point about lack of customization on the hilts, well they are fully completed designs. Custom made, for the customer, so you really you can't get much more customizable than that. Anything added to the hilts after they have been made is kinda superflous.

A friend of mine owns two sabers auctioned from Random and they are very well made, they are not to my taste but then they weren't made for me.

TCSS and Randomsabers are two very different sites and i am a fan of both. Both make the same product but in different and interesting ways and, really, isn't that the point?

I'm glad someone else had the same reaction that I did to this issue. Obviously there is a reason that we are all here on the TCSS website and not over at RS, but I think a few of you may have gone a little too far throwing insults at Ry and his business. I've seen just as many copycat ideas floating around on these forums as I see over at RS, if not more. The truth is that it is actually easier to copy a TCSS design than one at RS because all of the parts here are MADE identical. I'm certainly not criticizing Tim either, I have spent hundreds of dollars here and will continue to do so. However, I'm sure many of us here on this forum are also happy owners of RS sabers. Let us not forget that or we might alienate our friends here. Calling one design ugly is not a big deal, but bashing an entire business based on accusations that are quite simply not true... that is something else all together.

Edit: On a side note, it was only a few months ago that Tim very generously held a contest to determine the design of a production run of 100 lightsabers. It is interesting to me that we can complain about unoriginality over on another website, but when a free lightsaber is involved no one seems to have much of a problem with the idea...

Arthelion
03-02-2008, 09:28 PM
WEll iam not saying really anything about based on being a copy cat but what we are talking about is a blaitent copy with just claws added to it as a base for the convo/topic and how much that RS really sucks.

Theres maybe a total of 10 designs that they have put out that I like and there mostly based ont eh same clansaber liek design.

Sorry to dredge this up again, but seriously....does anybody here read this and think it makes sense? All of the machined parts available from TCSS are identical.....you can customize them yourself to your hearts content which is what makes this place awesome, but turning it around and saying that RS sucks because he makes the same sabers over again when the customers submit the designs is just ludicris. Each person has his own taste, and quite frankly, mine is much different than yours. I've been on the waiting list at RS for over a year now because given my skills and available resources, I can't do justice to my dream lightsaber using TCSS parts. That doesn't mean this place sucks, it just means that for me, I need something different. Your blatant attacks on RY just sound like sour grapes.

Lord Maul
03-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Hasid is just totally anti everything sans Do Clo and TCSS.

I employ the skill of skipping over his posts :wink:

Darth Zecks
03-03-2008, 01:36 AM
Is the saber of Corbins you guys are talking about the "Killer Penny"? I don't know if it has a different name. I'm guessing that it does because that saber could be its evil twin. I for one am a fan of claws but I can easily say that those do not work on that saber.

TimeRender
03-03-2008, 02:59 AM
No Zecks, the saber they are talking about is Malius, and they mention it in the title of this thread. Corbin has several sabers that are related to each other. I believe Malius and it's stunt double are the second and third designs respectively, while killer penny is the fourth.

Do-Clo
03-03-2008, 09:52 AM
What you have to remember is that random sabers like all custom saber builders builds sabers to the customers design or request. So if a customer says I want claws on that saber then you put claws on the saber or if they request a emitter from one style and a hilt from another then a different pommel you do your best to pull the design together for them. Sometimes you end up building what you yourself may consider an ugly saber but to the customer it is their dream saber. The bottom line is what the customer wants comes first. :mrgreen:

The mhs system is great because it allows you to build a cool looking saber and then customise it with a few simple tools such as a dremel and a hand drill, not everyone has a lathe, mill and a drill press to make a custom saber.

Roshen
03-03-2008, 10:00 AM
well said Do-Clo :)

Hasid Lafre
03-03-2008, 09:07 PM
I dont like randomsabers for one reasion thats more important than anyother.

A 2 YEAR WAITING LIST!

What kinda crack is going on over there?, I seen Ry turn out 5 sabers in a week yet it still takes 2 years to get a hilt!

For godsakes man if you want a saber thats custom go womewhere else cause by the time you actually get your saber your not happy with its looks much anymore.

I knwo I would be.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
03-03-2008, 10:20 PM
I just want to know where I can get some of that fluted brass tubing. That would look great on the steampunk saber I'm designing.

I asked Corbin, but he doesn't have any left.

TimeRender
03-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Gnomie, you might try here. It's not exactly the same and I don't know if they have any minimum order requirements, but it might be worth checking into.

http://www.lewisbrass.com/mixed.htm#reed

Hasid, let me offer you some sage advice. Unplug your keyboard, pick it up, find your keys and go to your car, get in, drive to the bank, put your keyboard in a safe deposit box, and then drive home. The next time you feel like posting anything, ask yourself if it is worth the drive to the bank. If the answer is no, you will be doing everyone here a favor.

Maybe you're right Maul... Think you could teach me that skill of yours?

Hasid Lafre
03-04-2008, 12:31 AM
1: I dont like banks

2: I dont have a car

3: I could careless

Lord Maul
03-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Hasid, let me offer you some sage advice. Unplug your keyboard, pick it up, find your keys and go to your car, get in, drive to the bank, put your keyboard in a safe deposit box, and then drive home. The next time you feel like posting anything, ask yourself if it is worth the drive to the bank. If the answer is no, you will be doing everyone here a favor.

Maybe you're right Maul... Think you could teach me that skill of yours?

Amen to that brotha.

Hasid, let me get this straight: You don't care that most of the forum doesn't respect you or your bad spelling or your bad advice?

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
03-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Whoa, guys. Let's not start a hate war. I love this forum, and I'd hate to see it get ugly here. This kind of thing can get out of hand in a hurry. I've seen it happen.

Just ignore each other and move on, and let's get back to talking about building lightsabers.

ArkaiHalon
03-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Whoa, guys. Let's not start a hate war. I love this forum, and I'd hate to see it get ugly here. This kind of thing can get out of hand in a hurry. I've seen it happen.

Just ignore each other and move on, and let's get back to talking about building lightsabers.

[ yoda] yes yes, to Obi-Dar you listen, save you it can. Bash Hasid now, fun it may be, but empty it will leave you. [/ yoda]