PDA

View Full Version : thinking of making a staff

drakeion2
01-23-2008, 10:22 PM
im thinking of making a staff iluminating,, not sure how i will proceed yet but for sure i will put at least 2 3 wath lux in the head of the staf 1 cool color so the staf may look magical & the other one is actualy a red amber or a color that will fire frm the gem of the staff or the head not sure yet
i made a staff with a lux 1 a will ago but i burn it cause i didnt have the knolege that tose led are hot & they melt the plastic of the head of my snake
but i do meen i probably make another one but with some heat sink & pvc & probaby some sort of fiber glass & clears pvc tubing thats gonna look cool for the sound i got a fire sound bord from & old toy that sound like a firing range something like the woosh of the stargate staff ,,, it will look cool but i need some idee

Angelus Lupus
01-24-2008, 06:18 AM
i need some idee
I don't have any 'idee' to give you, can I offer you a spellcheck and punctuation instead?

chase
01-24-2008, 06:34 AM
Check out the different parts here in the shop. You can put together a pretty mean double blade with them. Look at the different projects people have done on the forums here.

I think that's the kind of answer he was looking for lupus.

Angelus Lupus
01-24-2008, 06:42 AM
Sorry, it's just that most people here, and on other forums I use, manage to post coherent sentences. It's a pet peeve of mine.

vortextwist
01-24-2008, 07:28 AM
If he wants advise take the time to do it right. It's a common courtesy. The mhs stuff is excellent for a staff, and very easy to put together. Corbin did an awsome one.check out the mhs gallery.

chase
01-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Believe me lupin, I hate it too....god do I hate it....

Check out the forums to learn the different types of led's and parts to make it a "lightsaber".

DarthFender
01-24-2008, 08:17 AM
I don't have any 'idee' to give you, can I offer you a spellcheck and punctuation instead?

I need to see your 'idee' to verify that you meet the minimum age requirement.

Darth_DevilGuy
01-24-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't think he wants to build a saber staff actually, his post was pretty garbled but I got that he wanted to make something more like what he's holding in his avatar, some sort of fantasy staff with an LED to light a crystal in the head.

DarthFender
01-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Dood I would love to have a saber like my Avatar. I'd call it the Light Axe!

Angelus Lupus
01-24-2008, 01:30 PM
It could be done. You'd have to find a poly-c strong enough to withstand being the neck section, then mount a LED in the body and use whatever diffusion method you prefer. From a distance (say, on stage) the effect should be quite good

DarthFender
01-24-2008, 04:14 PM
If I ever do it I will post pics.

Soulkeeper7700
01-24-2008, 04:48 PM
i would suggest acrylic as the main part of the guitars neck... my friend Curt, the guitar player in my band, built his own clear acrylic guitar. its much like Kirk Hammett's (metallica) clear guitar which had blue oil or something in it. was a really cool guitar actually. but Curt built his own, the only thing he did differently was use a real slab of rosewood (i think it was rosewood) as the top of the neck for the fret board. but thats cause the strings would wear out the acrylic... just some ideas.. would be reaaaaally cool to see :):)

Darth_DevilGuy
01-24-2008, 05:09 PM
I'd use something akin to the hyperblade technique to light it, maybe canibalize some hyperblades, that way it'd look brighter from a distance. other than that you'd just have to be willing to canibalize a stratocaster, or find one without a neck.

Angelus Lupus
01-24-2008, 05:36 PM
If it's not going to be used as a weapon then you could salvage the LED strips from some MR conversions, maybe sand the outside of the neck... I could really see that working

DarthFender
01-24-2008, 08:49 PM
I'd use something akin to the hyperblade technique to light it, maybe canibalize some hyperblades, that way it'd look brighter from a distance. other than that you'd just have to be willing to canibalize a stratocaster, or find one without a neck.

Strat is pretty easy to take the neck off of. An I guess I could use the original neck to neasure Fret placement. I have a old Lead II Guitar

Mine looks almost exactly like this one...
http://www.artichokeguitars.com/published/our_collection/dat/lead_ii_front_b.jpg

Except that mine is solid red, not translucent. (that's custom color its a GM Candy apple red.) And mine has a rosewood fretboard. But I guess that wouldn't matter if I convert the neck to look like a lightsaber.

Why am I suddenly getting the image of Bluegrass from the Silverhawks? Ha ha ha

Ghostbat
01-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Why am I suddenly getting the image of Bluegrass from the Silverhawks? Ha ha ha

I am well and truly shocked that anyone besides me remembers the silverhawks!

Back on topic, yeah it sounds like he wants a staff with glowing gem effects.

Sounds like you need a bit more space between the LED and staff end heatsink the LEDs and put a few inches of air between the Lux and whatever chunk of acrylic you are using.

drakeion2
01-27-2008, 07:53 AM
I don't think he wants to build a saber staff actually, his post was pretty garbled but I got that he wanted to make something more like what he's holding in his avatar, some sort of fantasy staff with an LED to light a crystal in the head.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
your right on ,, i want to create another one like i am olding,,, since i burn the head but i have a good clue of the parts anyhow ,, and sorry for my english since im an amerindien i have a little bit trouble with english or french

sar-oi
01-31-2008, 03:22 PM
im thinking of making a staff iluminating,, not sure how i will proceed yet but...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[QUOTE=Darth_DevilGuy;74264]I don't think he wants to build a saber staff actually, his post was pretty garbled but I got that he wanted to make something more like what he's holding in his avatar, some sort of fantasy staff with an LED to light a crystal in the head.

your right on ,, i want to create another one like i am olding,,, since i burn the head but i have a good clue of the parts anyhow ,, and sorry for my english since im an amerindien i have a little bit trouble with english or french

Wow! I can't believe it! It was obvious that our friend here had difficulty with English and what a welcome!!!!!
Total RESPECT Darth DevilGuy. Total, TOTAL, RESPECT!!!!!

Drakeion2, I'm not technical enough at the moment to offer you the best advice but the others can help if they can spare the time to stop hijacking your post.

Angelus & Fender, I'm new here. Don't know why but I expected better from you guys.

Fender your saber would be *&*%$! cool and impossible to handle and I'm bloody certain you can help our friend out to make his staff real cool?

Darth_DevilGuy
01-31-2008, 05:15 PM
this doesn't actually sound too hard to do now that I'm thinking about it, all he needs is a battery pack and either a resistor or a micropuck in the staff, and then a crystal to go over the light.

DarthFender
01-31-2008, 05:31 PM
[quote=drakeion2;74230]
Fender your saber would be *&*%$! cool and impossible to handle and I'm bloody certain you can help our friend out to make his staff real cool?

THanks for the Mad Props, my friend. Making a Staff with a glowing jewel I would probably not use a Lux, I would use an array of smaller LEDS. The most powerful I would use personally is a 1W Lux. Still might be too bright to look at. And if you can't look at it what good is it, right?

I would resistor it up and use a potentiometer to control the glow brightness. You knoe, one of those type of pots like a walk-man volume dial.

Anyways, that how I would do it.

PS. Devilguy, I think we just got Told! Ha ha ha.

Angelus Lupus
01-31-2008, 06:30 PM
Angelus & Fender, I'm new here. Don't know why but I expected better from you guys.

It's partly my fault for posting past midnight. I should have realised English wasn't his first language, but bad typing has always been a pet peeve of mine. I'll save the vehemence for people who deserve it.

goldsaberwarrior
02-01-2008, 01:48 PM
trust me the polyc blades WON'T break under regular conditions, even if you dual with them. You'll dent and bend you're hilt before you break a blade. I'll give you a list of basic parts you'll need.

since you're making a staff you'll need 2 of everything I list here. this is just a basic list to get a hilt together. nothing special will be added.

LED light
battery holder or pack
resistor or driver
on/off switch
blade
sink tube or mhs pieces
blade holder
heatsink
blade retention screw(s)
LED lens
LED lens holder

That should be about everything. I build only LED sabers so these parts are what you need to build a basic hilt. When I put "or" in the list that means you can use either one. If it's your 1st saber I recommend a pre-made blade. If you intend to use a driver I recommend the one from here or a plecer driver from erv. I recommend a driver because they can control and regualte the voltage better in addition to having better protection against surges. The lens is to focus the light and the holder does what it says. I don't know how many switches you'll need because I don't know if you intend to use a driver or do anything special that may need another switch. The heatsink usually comes with the blade holder and if for some odd reason it didn't you'll need one. This keeps the led from overheating. Last you'll need retention screw(s) to hold the blade in place when you use the saber. I use two of them but to each his own in that case.

Like I said this is to get only a functioning hilt. If you use sound or anything special the list will change to the parts you need. Just post here what you think you'll need and we'll point you in the right direction if you don't have everything. All I can say is play around with your saber until you get it the way you want. Check back if you need anything.

sar-oi
02-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Oh dear, sigh!

but looks like you've got some good advice since you last posted Drakeion2?

I've been thinking about you posting to what is a lightsaber site and where the guys here have the technical expertise to help you get what you want, I was wondering if you were wanting a lightsaber? I thought you might be able to make your staff with the effect you want at its head but with the ability to separate from either the top or base of the staff, well, a concealed lightsaber. You could even conceal the blade, fitted or not, in the staff body.
Just a thought.;)

Mi Gin Gonn
02-03-2008, 05:11 AM
Believe me lupin, I hate it too....god do I hate it....

hmm...guess that makes two to take over jedi loreen's "spelling and grammar nazi" title, lol.