PDA

View Full Version : CF kill key? Where to get em.

vortextwist
01-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Like the title says, I need to get on or what do you make them out of?

Angelus Lupus
01-21-2008, 09:05 PM
I got mine from erv, 'tis plastic or somesuch

Stinky Bantha
01-21-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm actually pretty interested in these, too. I think in one of Novastar's gallery posts he showed how he used a hose barb, or something. I haven't been able to find anything so far, so I've just been using my recharge plug, but I'd like to fix that soon.

Hasid Lafre
01-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Something that readly common like say the tip of a cordless phone that dosent work anymore.

Novastar
01-22-2008, 01:48 AM
The kill plug/key you use will depend on the type of port you use that connects your batteries to your charge port to your CF board (or any board for that matter).

What you decide to use is up to you. In my case, Corbin initially used 1/8" stereo ports with corresponding 1/8" jacks to be the charger "heads". Whether or not people consider this as good or bad... is up to them.

So, for consistency's sake--this is how all of my rechargeable sabers are wired up. In some cases, the port is simply for recharge and does NOT offer a "kill" option (basic sabers). But in the case of the Flange III sabers... I obviously want the kill option.

That is correct that I've used a "nylon hose barb", which is a T-shaped item, and needs a little sanding/grinding to fit the port "just so".

However, I've moved on to another part (which name escapes me), which is much smaller and isn't so protruding... but also does not cut both leads like I prefer.

Anyhow... the newer part I use looks like a nylon "brad" or plug... similar in shape to a screw.

Finally--NEVER use a metal kill plug of any sort!!! This means DO NOT use an "empty" stereo jack! This can effectively close your circuit, cross + and -, and therefore create a short circuit.

Hasid Lafre
01-22-2008, 02:01 AM
Well the ports and plugs tim sells here. Would using another plug cause problems?

What about something like these, You remove the metal needel thingy and shave the bottem portion to fit inside the recharge port?
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1583501/2/istockphoto_1583501_rgb_push_pins.jpg

Novastar
01-22-2008, 02:19 AM
Naturally the ports and plugs here will work in conjunction with one another (duh, heheheh :) ), but those do not give you a kill switch to use as far as I know.

As to using... PUSHPINS? Well... the metal pin runs through the plastic, and the plastic is extremely hard and brittle. It would not be high on my list of choices.

Nylon or PVC plugs are a good bet. Get the right size (1/8", 1/4", 1/16", whatever), do a little shaving down, and you're good to go. These are available at most any hardware store.

Hasid Lafre
01-22-2008, 02:25 AM
WEll I was abel to rip the metal pin out of the push pin and theres a nice hole that appears to be the same size as the pin thats inside the recharge port that tim sells here.

There was one sitting on my desk here and I figured Meh its worth a look but after pu took teh pin out of the push pin a part of the head of it broke off so I said hell with it I dont want to deal with it now. LOL

xwingband
01-22-2008, 07:03 AM
An empty recharge plug like the TCSS one is fine. I agree that a stereo plug is bad... that's they way they work, but if simply a metal plug was bad we'd run into the issue whether the plug was attached to anything or not. ;)

Strydur
01-22-2008, 10:48 AM
We have some in the works..

vortextwist
01-22-2008, 01:51 PM
woot,woot! can't wait to see em'. I'm just using my recharge plug for now but want something not so protruding.

Dark Helmet
01-22-2008, 08:22 PM
radioshack sells a male charge plug without wires... it's a piece of junk, but you can unscrew the boot from the back of it and both sides stay isolated, and you have enough thread sticking out to remove it... this should get you by in a pinch, just not attractive enough for a permanant solution.

Madcow
01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
I also cut the tip off of a plastic wall anchor (for anchoring a screw in a wall), and it worked in a 2.5mm jack.

MC

DarthFender
01-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Thats an excellent idea, Madcow.

DACOTA
01-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Were going to have a tcss plug? Thats awsome! Way to go lord Styrdur. Woohoo!

Dark Navel
01-24-2008, 10:29 PM
If you like the way Erv does his you can get a nylon spacer at you local hardware store. The next thing you need is the top of a lamp, a finial. These are usually made out of brass and look like half of a sphere but there are ton more on the web. Inside this sphere you will see threads, used to thread onto the top of a lamp to holg the lampshade on. Get yer trusty hot glue gun and glue the nylon spacer into the lamp shade sphere.

I would suggest bringing the recharge port with you to the store so you can match up the hole in the spacer with the peg in the port.:D

Darth Morbius
01-27-2008, 08:51 AM
You can also use 1/8" Pex Tubing, like the stuff that usually feeds water to in-freezer ice makers, or soft water systems. It's readily available at just about every Home Improvement center and hardware store on the planet.