PDA

View Full Version : Reverse battery protection.

DarthFender
01-20-2008, 06:02 PM
I was thinking about putting a diode on the wire from the battery pack to the saber electronics, as a protective measure against hooking up a battery pack with the polarity reversed. I read somewhere on the threads that someone fried a US board that way, and I myself have fried a Hasbro board. Thank goodness it wasn't my CF. It's a long story...

But what I really want to know is... when wiring up a rectifier diode, all you have to worry about is the voltage drop right? Obviously I want to make sure to use a diode that can stand up to the current that a LUXIII or K2 will want, but other than that, are there any caveats?

Dark Helmet
01-20-2008, 10:23 PM
why not use a quick connector? the leads are marked clearly, and it can only be connected one way. this may be much easier, and cheaper. also, some li- ions like mine, have a pcb that shuts the battery down if it shorts. the quick connector is the fastest way to reset it.this may take up less space too. sorry, i know it's not the answer you were looking for, but it has been a great safeguard fo me so far.

Lord Maul
01-20-2008, 10:29 PM
A diode is smaller than a quick connector, but, I agree that a quick connector would probably be the easiest way to go. It can only be connected one way, and no amount of force will get it to connect backwards.

Hasid Lafre
01-21-2008, 05:31 AM
But hes trying to make sure that the battery pack dosent switch its polatiry on him like momentary switches from radioshack do.

Novastar
01-21-2008, 06:40 AM
But hes trying to make sure that the battery pack dosent switch its polatiry on him...If that's true, than yes, the diode would be a good idea.

However, a quick-connector seems best if it's just a possible user error that is trying to be avoided. Um... a multi-meter would be even better for that too... :)

I am a total amature at wiring (despite what people may think), and I've never mis-wired + and - since I started working on sabers. Granted, I've done other bizarre things with kill switches where Li-Ion PCBs saved my butt, heheh

DarthFender
01-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Um... a multi-meter would be even better for that too... :)

I am a total amature at wiring (despite what people may think), and I've never mis-wired + and - since I started working on sabers. Granted, I've done other bizarre things with kill switches where Li-Ion PCBs saved my butt, heheh

I never made a mistake until I got a multimeter. MY problem was using speaker wire. Clear insulator killed a Hasbro board. (Yeah, yeah I know that one of the wires has a white stripe, NOW) Since then I have invested in colored wire. But, I still think that the diode would make it even more idiot proof. Because the mistakes were never made while doing the initial wiring but during the upgrade process. I was adding a Corbin Board to the setup and I wire the Hasbro backward. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Good thing it wasn't my CF.

Novastar
01-21-2008, 06:54 AM
So... wait... you're saying you HAD the multi-meter... and you still wired it backwards?

DarthFender
01-21-2008, 06:57 AM
D'oh! !&^#@*^%
And, NO! it wasn't me who sent that POS wire job back to Erv.

I was seduced by the Dark Side. It is quicker, Easier and more deductive. But in the end it is more painful. Just ask Vader or Palpatine.

I have learned patience since then.

EDIT: I think my tone was lost in translation to text. didn't think anyone actually thought I made that mess that went back to Erv.

This is just me kicking myself for making such a "rookie" mistake. The truth is that the more experience one has the more likely one is to make a mistake, because one thinks he knows all the shortcuts. But then you make the mistake, then you learn, and you don't make that mistake again.

You know I was telling a colleague of mine the other day about mistakes that can be made when constructing these things. He said.

"Man, it should be a lot easier to buld a lightsaber!" and I said.
"No, it shouldn't. Because then what sense of accomplishment would I have after building it?"

If it wasn't difficult I wouldn't want to do it. That's why I'm more proud of the sorry EL Saber I made, than the MR Saber I bought. And I really like my Icons crappy replica that I converted to Lux because it was a PITA. I did it because I wanted the challenge of making a working saber out of a one piece graflex look-alike. If I'm not much mistaken that is why most of us here share the same hobby. Not because it's easy, but because it's difficult, and it's FUN. So if I have to fry a couple of Hasbro boards to learn this stuff... so be it.