PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a soundboard

Blues Light
01-20-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm new to saber building, and I'm at a loss as to where to procure a soundboard. I don't want a Hasbro board, as the quality even in the toys is poor. Does anyone know a site where I could get one MR quality or up?

vortextwist
01-20-2008, 08:39 AM
most of us just canabalize an mr saber. you can usually get them fairly cheap on ebay. or check fx-sabers, sometimes people will sell them there.

strengthofrage
01-20-2008, 08:39 AM
You could gut an MR... as of right now the other two options aren't available just yet (Ultra and Crystal Focus).

Those Hasbro boards sound like crap in the Hasbro hilts but they sound a lot better in the MHS hilt with the premium speaker and room for resonance. I was surprised at how loud they actually are. At this point, if you dont have an MR to gut then the $18 Hasbro board is way better than nothing.

Barmic Rin
01-20-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm just wondering how the FX boards will sound now Hasbro has the license, not MR.....

My advice would be to wait until Erv has built some more Crystal Focus.

DarthFender
01-20-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm just wondering how the FX boards will sound now Hasbro has the license, not MR.....

I just wonder if it will be the same "one clash one swing" on the FX boards now t hat Hasbro has the License. What a sad world it will be. But on the other hand if they have to make bulk for the FX's, perhaps they might start using more swings and clashes for the Toys? We'll see.

Barmic Rin
01-20-2008, 10:15 AM
I just hope UK stockists don't over charge as much with them.
We pay on average £110 in the shops for the MR's.

Do-Clo
01-20-2008, 10:44 AM
I just hope that hasbro builds a decent FX saber with a sound board equal to the MR sound board. I will admit that I have a bad feeling about hasbro building FX sabers.:roll:

Malaki Skywalker
01-20-2008, 10:49 AM
I just hope that hasbro builds a decent FX saber with a sound board equal to the MR sound board. I will admit that I have a bad feeling about hasbro building FX sabers.:roll:

I sense it also... :lol:

vortextwist
01-20-2008, 10:50 AM
like I have seen posted before, hasbro already has the market on crappy plastic lightsabers, I think they will do as good or better then MR did.

Dark Navel
01-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Guess who is right down the road from me?>

Hasbro...(The main plant)

...where they make alot of products. Let's get a petition going to make sur that they don't screw it up because let's face it, if they make nice hilts with garbage sound for the price MR had out means that they, Hasbro is going to loose a bunch of business.

I wish I could get a job there overseeing this process because I have the same feeling...and it's not a good one.

Blues Light
01-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys. I may just build the saber, then wait for Erv to produce more CF boards.

Darth_DevilGuy
01-20-2008, 01:25 PM
like I have seen posted before, hasbro already has the market on crappy plastic lightsabers, I think they will do as good or better then MR did.

they may just want the license in order to take care competition, if there's nothing better, then people will just have to buy their cheap crap.

Luar Selbor
01-20-2008, 05:41 PM
They need to do good because Lucas Films is not done with Star Wars just yet. Next year the new TV show will premiere in 2009 and I read an article about the films in IMAX 3D. So they need to do good.

DarthFender
01-20-2008, 05:45 PM
they may just want the license in order to take care competition, if there's nothing better, then people will just have to buy their cheap crap.

perhaps, they will make two qualities if lightsaber. A good one for collectors, with awesome sound. And the same old crap they have been making. I for one am hoping for the opposite effect. The need for Hasbro to develope better sound for the FX Sabers might cause them to have better sound in the toy sabers, too.

I search my feelings and I think I am deluding myself. But, then again I am an optimist.

Dark Navel
01-20-2008, 06:27 PM
It's so hard to think as a "toy company" making a truly nice saber. I just hope they live up to the rep that MR had or they are going to have alot of very angry SW saber enthusiasts.

Hasbro has not had the chance to do replicas until now..MR has and still does nice work Star Wars or otherwise...this will either make them look great or really dumb.

Blues Light
01-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Well, I'm not expecting the new sabers to be anything more than the toys use now. The classic figures, for example, are of far superiour quality compared to the new ones, which fall apart at nothing. If the new sabers are good, I'll be shocked.

Dark Helmet
01-20-2008, 10:08 PM
"Iv'e got a bad feeling about this"

Novastar
01-21-2008, 06:01 AM
Am I the only one who believes that the "new" FX board by Hasbro will simply be either a clone of, or summarily equal to the boards of the past?

With the POSSIBLE addition of the "Luxeon flashlight" style direction, since single high-powered LED technology is moving so far forward?

So... even IF MR maintained the rights to the design of the FX board (which may not be the case)... I'm fairly certain LFL could design a board that sneaks around any such patents.

Hmm. I wonder where we've seen that before... :)

Luar Selbor
01-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Who is to say that the new FX-sabers won't be Luxeon. I could see Hasbro doing something like that...I mean they are a toy company. They will make something that you can play with a little. The last FX-saber was like a luxeon and would most likly be like that. Do they even make collectable stuff?

Darth_DevilGuy
01-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Who is to say that the new FX-sabers won't be Luxeon. I could see Hasbro doing something like that...I mean they are a toy company. They will make something that you can play with a little. The last FX-saber was like a luxeon and would most likly be like that. Do they even make collectable stuff?

no they don't make collectibles really, thats what has me scared, hasbro is a VERY traditional toys for kids company and they have a habit of throwing out as much cheap crap as possible and cutting corners wherever possible.

I know their MO because I used to collect zoids, which are a Japanese motorized pseudo model/constructible toy. Hasbro released them in the US and frankly did a horrible job, the did things like swap out metal parts with less durable plastic pieces, molding parts to a lower tolerance so they often didn't fit right, used cheaper motors that burnt out in weeks, the worst was that they charged as much or more for the kits than Tomy the Japanese company that sold the originals, I was able to import superior Japanese versions for about 10-20% markup, which takes into account overseas shipping.

You might say I don't like Hasbro so much, I say Hasbro are a bunch of soulless profiteers who really don't care about their products quality so long as they make money.

vortextwist
01-22-2008, 04:49 PM
well they do have grandpa george ot oversee it, so I think he has the last word on it. "Hopes, crosses fingers"

Novastar
01-23-2008, 12:55 AM
I hate to jump on the negative bandwagon, but... DDevilguy is right... most big $ companies ARE soul-less profiteers. The bottom line is often all that matters to a gigantic portion of "big name" companies.

The good news is... there are ALSO companies out there that do good in the world, looking for marginal profits, and successful people who don't need to be buying a new designer car/house/boat/wardrobe every 6 months.

Unfortunately, they are usually smaller companies with more or less "no power" so-to-speak. At least no power over the worldwide market. So (sometimes) even less power to change things... :(

sekrogue1985
01-23-2008, 08:16 AM
yeah I know what you are saying devil guy about the zoids they were fun. My mom when I was little would bring one home for me from japan each time she went along with other assorted things. BUt yeah I've also noticed that hasbro really does a bad job on toys well. Their transformers line was decent though their japanese counter parts were better. It's also the same thing for Bandai. The bandai japan branch just does a better job than the american. I think the reaason for our fears of hasbros work on the Force FX is also for the fact that hasbro in america really doesn't think about the adult factor when it makes it's products and what not. so I'm seeing that they'll make them targeted to the under generations maybe they'll become less of the collectible and more of a toy. THis is what I fear may happen but i'm trying to be an optimis

Dark Navel
01-23-2008, 09:57 AM
I agree withn both darth Devil and sekrogue. The Japanese seem to be a bit more in tune to the adult collectors hence the better quality.

Traditionally countries of the orient have better internal components then what American companies use them because they a usually are decent and can be purchased in dulk. Think about all of the electronic components that you see or have opened up only to see made in China, Japan etc.

I am also fearfull that Hasbro will make an upscaled toy..yes a toy, not a collectible.

Although MR didn't have the best sound and blade scheme their produts were/are respectible.

I will be VERY interested tio see what Hasbro releases as thier first true lightsaber and I will be very willing to rip into them if they do produce garbage.

Heck, they are so close to me maybe I'll talk to them in person.;)

DarthFender
01-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Go get'em DN. Ha ha ha.

sekrogue1985
01-23-2008, 06:14 PM
darth navel

where do you live. I say we get a bunch of us together, some sabers main untampered force FXs, and sack the gates of hasbro using non violence aka protest to produce a good saber haha. Though i'm in indiana and yeah lol anywho that's just me and my over worked colleged mind

Dark Navel
01-23-2008, 07:44 PM
I live about 6 miles from the main plant...No need for saber as it is not gated so if they do sell garbage, which I hope i'm wrong, then all in need to do is walk in, ask to talk with the person, people in charge of making them and then either toss it in the lobby and state that they can market it as a glowing boomerang etc.

Whoops its not curved...Maybe for the 4th the can shoot them up in the sky and blow em up??

Well I don't want to bash em yet since they haven't produced them yet but man am I anxious about thier 1st production...:(

sekrogue1985
01-24-2008, 07:24 AM
honestly if they do make a bad saber i say we protest and what not everybody up there and yeah so on and so forth hahaha with sabers in hand yeah take that hahaha

Ghostbat
01-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Personally I hope they make a crappy saber with good sound.

That way we keep our source of parts and the natural superiority of a well done custom saber :)