PDA

View Full Version : Darth Vader Conversion Problems

Artifical_Lynx
02-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Hi there yeah I'm back again this time I'll get to the main point. I can't seem to get the small pin out so I can remove the big pin and continue on with the conversion. I'm having so much trouble getting it out I tried just about everything I can really think of. I ended up cutting the side of my hand trying to get the pin out. Can anyone help? Anything is helpful at this point since the switch is now badly scratched. I minus well buy myself a new Darth Vader ESB buy the time I'm done converting this one. Here is a picture to describe my problem.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/Foreverzero93/DSC00057.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/Foreverzero93/DSC00056.jpg

BenReilly
02-08-2006, 08:29 AM
I offer no help, but i'll fix the pics for ya.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/Foreverzero93/DSC00057.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/Foreverzero93/DSC00056.jpg

LAN-ED-TUL
02-08-2006, 08:47 AM
boy, ya really did scratch that up some. im not real sure, but maybe take a small hammer, like a ballpean, and try tapping it out. might need a small drift punch to drive it all way out. tim or ultra might have a better idea on this than me. i havent had the nerve to try it on mine yet. thats why i built a heiland vader lux instead.

maybe someday i will.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

suit_man
02-08-2006, 03:23 PM
i just grabbed the pin with a pair of needle-nose pliers and it came right out.

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

Devilstar2k2
02-08-2006, 03:45 PM
This should fix those scratches right up, its what I use on my paintball guns... Works everytime... [:D]

http://www.magic-mirror.co.uk/sharpie%20pen.jpg

Wolverine
02-08-2006, 04:03 PM
I just sanded the paint off mine. it looks good silver too, and by sanding it, you can even repaint it. [:)]

Artifical_Lynx
02-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks I appericate it everyone. Tim told me for one person to push the big pin while another person pulls at the same time. It worked but in return my switch is a mess. I think I'll take the idea of repainting it. Once again thanks everyone for your help I got the whole thing taken apart. I don't know if I want to put it back together since it's damaged and the hilt is damaged but still I can just buy one off ebay cheap and convert that one while use this one for spare parts you never know if they might come in handy.

Devilstar2k2
02-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Just convert this one, and beat the living hell out of it... Then, buy a NIB one for just for display.

Thats my 2 cents... [;)]

EDIT-

BTW, I've always thought that the Vader would look awesome in green, or amber. Just something for you to think about. Good luck with it.

NooB1Kenobi
02-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Ok here's my problem.... How do you get the small pin out of the blade without breaking the blade?? I am stuck here,, Someone please help me here.. Thanks!!

Strydur
02-17-2006, 06:07 PM
push it into the blade until it clears the outer PolyC

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Artifical_Lynx
02-17-2006, 11:45 PM
Yeah that's what I did and the cost of that is I screwed up the pin but I am going to use Gorilla Glue and glue the sucker back together. I already got the Luxeon 3watt Star Cyan. My Vader will be Cyan when it's done.

headwound
02-18-2006, 01:21 AM
as I understand it gorilla glue expands hella lot when it dries, so be prepared

NooB1Kenobi
02-18-2006, 01:39 AM
Thanks Strydur!! I did it a lil different but know for next time.. I wish I knew before hand how long it was.. I ended up putting 2 holes next to it and pulling it out...

My last and final problem...
The pin that goes in the bolt to hold the sides of the switch on/off switch together.. How do you put the pin back in?
I've punctured 3 fingers and lost lots of blood and spend hours in a Bacta tank trying to get this back in and no luck.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!!

suit_man
02-18-2006, 09:27 AM
it is hard to get that little guy back in. you need to kinda push it in at an angle to get it in and do some pushing and wiggling on that side to get it the rest of the wat through. another option is to use something like the pins shown in this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/SMARTECH-TRUCK-SMARTECH-MAGIC-WHEEL-PART-BODY-PINS_W0QQitemZ5995781478QQcategoryZ44028QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
they are really easy to get in without causing much damage, plus you can either leave the whole big thing on there to make it easy to take apart, or you could use a pair of side-cuts to snip the extra stuff off. this is what i did and it worked perfectly.

Artifical_Lynx
02-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Alright after getting it all down to it I would like to close this topic for the fact that I have fianlly completely my Darth Vader Cyan Blue. I wanted something different but Tim Already beat me to it [:(!] lol. Anyways It looks great here are some before and after pictures. I hope someone will fix the pictures for me and to those that have helped me out on this thanks I appericate it some things take time and patience and with converting FX lightsaber they take time to do. I hope some one will fix my pictures. Laterz

Before I converted my Darth Vader FX Lightsaber

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/Foreverzero93/DSC00058.jpg

After the Conversion now it's a Cyan Darth Vader FX

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/Foreverzero93/DSC00070.jpg

Thanks Xwing for your help with posting pics

xwingband
02-18-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm good at fixing.[:D] You copied the html option. Use the tag option but replace the <> with []

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/Foreverzero93/DSC00058.jpg

to

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/Foreverzero93/DSC00066.jpg

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

NooB1Kenobi
02-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Suit you are right about it bein tricky... I think I put more holes in my fnger and used more band aids than I did in an hour than I did in a year at a paper company... Anyways.. I got it in.. I used some real small needled nose locking pliers to hold the pin and then got it in place... By the way.. I am typing with 6 out of 10 fingers..
Though I am glad to see I'm not the only one with the light coming out of the pin hole in the hilt.. LOL

Protein5000
02-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Nice looking blade!! What diffuser did you use?

Less talk, more action........

Artifical_Lynx
02-18-2006, 09:38 PM
I used the stock one. I just ordered one of Tim's diffusers because getting feedback from others his are much better than the ones that come in the stock FX. Also I bought the 3watt Luxeon online from Ebay and it works really good. Thanks for the comment it's my first converted Lightsaber. This baby just had a test run today and it gotten beaten down really good and it still just as bright and sturdy as when I first put in the 3watt Cyan Star.

NooB1Kenobi
02-19-2006, 04:03 AM
I'll be all set once I can get some thumb screws like the original to hold the blade down.. I think I may make a new blade for it though and sell it.. I want to do a Windu conversion and figure whatever lil bit I make off selling mine I can apply to my Windu with Amber.. After my fingers heal from the abuse I gave them I am converting my brothers Anakin.. Since he's cheap I only get money for the parts from him..
But I'm not looking to make a profit.. The feeling of doing these is all the pay off I need.. My sister wants one to.. A yoda size one.. She's 13 lol!

Strydur
02-19-2006, 10:50 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I just ordered one of Tim's diffusers <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My diffusers will not work in a stock MR blade. Also since this question keeps getting asked lately, My blades will not fit a stock MR blade holder without modifying one or the other.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Artifical_Lynx
02-19-2006, 12:57 PM
I gotcha Tim, I'll be doing some sanding when I get your polyC blade in the mail.

NooB1Kenobi
02-20-2006, 12:53 AM
Why won't your blades fit the stock MR Holder? Aren't they both 1 inch O.D? Just confused..

Strydur
02-20-2006, 01:15 AM
No..MR blades are slightly smaller than 1" OD.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

suit_man
02-20-2006, 09:54 AM
the stock mr blades are about 15/16" OD

NooB1Kenobi
02-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Ohhh That would cause a problem... I suppose a lil Sanding would be required... Not much though cause the Stock MR Blade is loose in the Stock MR Holder.. TY for the info!

LAN-ED-TUL
02-20-2006, 05:20 PM
youd really be better off using tims holder swap for the MR and use his blade.

NooB1Kenobi
02-20-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm impatient... LOL The sandpaper is in my garage.. Tim's holders are not.. I'm sure to order some though when they come in.....

LAN-ED-TUL
02-21-2006, 12:59 AM
from those pics, it looks like the holder was further down on the hilt allowing the lux to light up throught the slots on the side of the hilt. cool. reminds me if my graflex, el, i made it with holder down in further and you see the blade glow through the glass eye. looks neat, and i had a dud from saberworks see it and he was impressed, especially when i told him it was a real graflex.

Artifical_Lynx
02-22-2006, 01:00 AM
yeah the MR Blade Holder was a little bit off and you can see one of the holes threw the S holes so what I did was got my drill and a screw driver basically made the two holes visible yes the LED is further down the Hilt I bought it from a seller on ebay his stuff works really good and decided to give it a try instead of waiting no offense Tim but I couldn't wait any longer. I had someone do a Anakin ROTS and Vader ESB for me because I think that Cyan Vader will be the last conversion I'll do for a long while.

Artifical_Lynx
02-22-2006, 01:04 AM
oh yeah I do like Tim's Complete Blades because there bigger, and from what I'm hearing are tougher than the MR blades. Not only that I don't mind taking the time to sand it down a bit before using it. Personally I had to put scotch tape around the blade to make the blade on my Cyan Vader snugged tight.

Protein5000
03-04-2006, 04:43 AM
Yo, back to the pin holding the switch box together.

I was taking my Vader apart, and got to the switch box. I tried pulling the pin out, it came out some of the way, but my pliers squashed the side of the pin. Anyway, after 30mins of sweating, worrying that I'de messed up my bro's FX, I tried pulling it out again and the end of the pin snapped. So there were no exposed bits of the pin - it was stuck in the bolt. I was really sweating now. So I grabbed the washer the pin is up against and ripped it over the bolt. I took it apart and all that. Then I thought "I'll have to worry about that damn bolt when I'm putting it back together" but then I though just to grab a normal threaded phillips head countersink bolt the same size as the original bolt and a hex nut. I reassembled the switch box, wacked the bolt in and it was perfect. Plus side is you can take it apart or tighten the bolt when you wish, rather than having the pin.

Ovbiously if the conversion was for sale that wouldn't be too good, but for yourself it's perfect if you mess up the pin.

If the pin is giving you too much trouble - I filed down the ends so it was flush with the bolt then rip the washer off. DONE!

Hope it helps!

Do-Clo
03-04-2006, 08:08 AM
I have worked on a couple of MR fx Vader sabers and on one the pin can out without any problem. The other one was a different story even using a pair of small vice grips I could not get the pin to move so I decided to use my dremel and cut the ends of the pin off so the through bolt would slide out. I haven't put this one back together yet but when my Vader holder gets here I will use a clamp lever and a nut to replace the pin and through bolt. This will not be exact to the fx but it will look better.

Do-Clo
Don't make me destroy you...

Artifical_Lynx
03-04-2006, 11:56 AM
That sounds like the same story about my vader I had to destroy the washer to get the switch apart. I had to end up giving my Cyan Vader to a really sick kid because he always wanted one. So yeah he's happy with the Vader just taped up the switch with black tape and it works just fine.

Strydur
03-04-2006, 01:18 PM
I made myself a custom tool that takes the pressure off the pin. After the pressure is off they either fall right out or I can tap them out with a small punch.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Protein5000
03-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Gee, that would be handy.

Does it work off pulling the bolt the pin goes through and pushing the washer away from it toward the switch box?

james3
03-04-2006, 09:11 PM
You may want to start selling that tool in your store[;)]

LAN-ED-TUL
03-05-2006, 06:58 AM
kinda sound like it presses the washer down against the switch housing slightly to relieve the pressure against the pin and thus it comes out. thats why the pins stay put. switch pushes out slightly against washer which is against pin. im gonna try that on mine when the kit comes in. see if mine will come out easier. dont think you can put too much force against it tho without breaking it, so it will take some tryin at different amounts of pressure.

does this sound anywhere close tim?

Strydur
03-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Yes..basically you need to push on the head of the large pin going through the switch housing..as in the opposite side of the little pin. If you do this and press against the washer at the same time it will relieve the pressure from the small pin.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

LAN-ED-TUL
03-06-2006, 05:27 PM
dang, i was right, thanks tim. i thought about using a small c clamp i can get at wally world, theyre really cheap. with a lil modding of clamp, should be able to make just such a tool to releive that pressure on lil pin.

Artifical_Lynx
03-14-2006, 12:29 AM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/Foreverzero93/P1010013.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/Foreverzero93/P1010015.jpg

Another Darth Vader Stock FX blade holder this time Red 3watt Luxeon

" Gentlemen your swords please we don't want to make a mess of things ", Count Dooku

987654321a
03-18-2006, 05:41 PM
hey bro i have the same prob as u

The Dark Side will kill you
www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com
http://www.imageuploader.org/uploads/598a8186b2.gif

LAN-ED-TUL
03-19-2006, 01:25 AM
well mines done. took me around 6 to 7 hours to complete. from tear down to reassembly. on the pin, i was able just to squeeze with my fingers with on hand and push with a small screwdriver on the lil pin, it come right out. i had a small piece of metal pin, i pplaced on head of main pin and just grasped it so i was holdin edge of washer and that metal piece, sqeezed and pushed. i had more trouble gettin it back in than gettin it out. took me 30 minutes to get that sucker back in there.

Strydur
03-19-2006, 05:03 AM
Sometimes they fall right out and sometimes you just want to grab the sledge hammer.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Protein5000
03-19-2006, 06:13 AM
I was testing out my brothers converted converted Vader last night and after I turned it off, some static clicking sounds were coming out - not proper sounds from the sound board. And it was turning off then straight back on when hit really hard. I swapped battery packs and still the same thing. Anyone else had this problem? I have a feeling some switch wires are bare next to the sound board and may be hitting each other. I may open it up if it gets too annoying. And I'll have to split the section where the 3 prongs stick out. How do you do this?

Strydur
03-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Check that the battery pack is pushed in enough. I converted a Vader the other day and when it was all back together I turned it on and tap it against my hand and it turned off. It turned out that the housing assembly was not in far enough which made the battery pack just barely not touch the pins enough when hit. To fix this I had to mount a shim on the battery pack since the holder was jammed in there pretty good.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Do-Clo
03-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Tim I had a couple of things come up when converting my MR Vader saber with the kit:

1) The blade holder really, really, fits into the hilt tight, I had to tap it lightly to it get completely into the hilt. This is with no tape to hold the MR electronics to the blade holder, I used hot glue because with tape it would have never fit.

2) The ploy-c blade will not fit into the blade holder and will require some sanding to make it fit.

These are nothing that I can not over come but just wanted to share in case someone else is working on one and wondering why??

Do-Clo

tetmatek
03-19-2006, 02:49 PM
I've had alot of issues with the battery packs as well. The only cure that is 100% is wireing them up with a small plug so they will disconnect. This is the only waY i have been certain that when i turn it on or off it will work every time. You'll Find when ya duel with them the MR connections can fail causing it to turn on and off during battle. just my 2 cents. hey artificial_lynx my first attempt at a vader tear down looked just like that. This was before TSS existed so it became a learning experience and a few spare parts for my next.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3213/sig35jo.jpg

Juice214
03-19-2006, 05:38 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Do-Clo

Tim I had a couple of things come up when converting my MR Vader saber with the kit:

1) The blade holder really, really, fits into the hilt tight, I had to tap it lightly to it get completely into the hilt. This is with no tape to hold the MR electronics to the blade holder, I used hot glue because with tape it would have never fit.

2) The ploy-c blade will not fit into the blade holder and will require some sanding to make it fit.

These are nothing that I can not over come but just wanted to share in case someone else is working on one and wondering why??

Do-Clo
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Same here in my corner of the universe. I also had to reverse the LED connections.

Strydur
03-19-2006, 07:25 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Do-Clo

Do-Clo

1. Like I said you need to sand everywhere there is a hole in the tube and on the holder. I just did 2 vaders this week and after sanding they fit just fine.

2. Have you cut the polyc yet? The ends are tapered out do to the way they where cut and once you remove that taper it will fit perfectly.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Do-Clo
03-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Tim I did all those things, the ploy-c blade fits fine in a mhs holder but it will require some sanding to fit in the Vader holder. I mean it is not a problem to do but I thought you might like to know.

Do-Clo

Protein5000
03-19-2006, 08:31 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

Check that the battery pack is pushed in enough. I converted a Vader the other day and when it was all back together I turned it on and tap it against my hand and it turned off. It turned out that the housing assembly was not in far enough which made the battery pack just barely not touch the pins enough when hit. To fix this I had to mount a shim on the battery pack since the holder was jammed in there pretty good.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

I did have this problem so I put like a spacer thingy under the end cap so they connectors are pushed in further. It turns on/off no problem, but when fighting and hitting very hard, it turns off/on which is annoying. I think it is what tetmatek is talking about.

Strydur
03-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Do-Clo

Sorry, you must have got an undersized holder or a oversized blade somehow. Like I said I built 2 last week and while the blades fit very snug they went in easy enough.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Do-Clo
03-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Like I said Strydur no problem, a little sanding and it will be fine.

Do-Clo

Protein5000
03-19-2006, 11:55 PM
I had the same thing Do-clo. Had to sand it down a bit, even after smoothing out the cut seems. Sanded it down the whole length of the blade holder then it went in fine.

Strydur
03-20-2006, 12:18 AM
Protein,

Your blade wouldnt go into the holder? Or the holder wouldnt go into the tube easy?

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Protein5000
03-20-2006, 03:11 AM
Sorry,

The blade holder didn't go into the hilt easy, and the polyc didn't go into the blade holder easy - both needed sanding. On the polyc, after I smoothed off that flared out cut seem, I still had to sand down 2" of the blade to fit it in the blade holder.

Strydur
03-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Very strange. Sorry about that guys, I will have to look into it.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

james3
03-20-2006, 03:37 PM
My Vader blade holder is way oversized to the hilt and the inside fits a MR blade rather nice but that's to small for the good stuff.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Protein5000
03-20-2006, 05:40 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

Very strange. Sorry about that guys, I will have to look into it.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Better we let you know now so you can look into it. After some hard work it went in but I had to take it out when you told me I had to drill a bigger hole for the set screw. It took about 1 hr of non-stop pulling to get it out - I had to use a big wrench. But my switch wires messed up a bit in the process.

Strydur
03-20-2006, 07:06 PM
I agree completely. I want to know if you guys ever have problems so I can fix them if I can.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Strydur
03-20-2006, 09:54 PM
I tested 10 or so holders with 2 different pieces of Polyc and while some where really tight they all fit. If anything I wouldnt sand the blade. What I would do is take some very fine sandpaper to the inside of the blade holder and I think you will find that a very light sanding make a world of difference. I think part of the problem pushing them in might be the fact that the air has no place to go. I will try not to hold such tight tolerances on future items.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Do-Clo
03-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Strydur I like to use a bigger hammer, maybe you should add that to your list of tools to carry. lol

Do-Clo

Strydur
03-21-2006, 12:38 AM
<font size="4"><font size="3">Ya!! the blades fit just fine!! </font id="size3"> </font id="size4">

<font size="1">If you use a 50lb sledge hammer</font id="size1">

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

LAN-ED-TUL
03-22-2006, 10:02 AM
yeah, mine was tight as well. i used the hotglue on the inside to keep any extra stuff off the outside so the core would fit back inside handle. but that last 2 inches were tight. i had to pound it in. and also the holder was too small for blade. i had to sand it out some and also my blade. its still a lil tight, but i can get it in now, with a lil twisting motion going in and out. need to sand a bit more i think. i also had to add a piece to underside of endcap to make the speaker/battery core seat up against the connections. it was like i had cut the housing too short. but i cut it right on the money as shown in tutorial.

Do-Clo
03-22-2006, 10:06 AM
I ended up sanding the the blade holder and the blade to get it to fit, I then used some plastic polish on the blade to smooth it up and make it slide.

Do-Clo

Strydur
03-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Lan, I had that same problem on one conversion I did with cutting the housing too small. It might be a variation in the models, I think to be safe I will say to cut them a tad longer.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

james3
03-22-2006, 10:32 PM
There must be at least a little variation in the FX's. I cut it dead on the money as well and it ended up being to long by just the last threading on the endcap. Least of my worries though, when I had to use the rubber hammer on the last few inches the darn screw holes misaligned by a slight fraction. Just enough that I'm afraid trying to install the screws may damage the threads and that puppy is so tight I am not sure I'm going to get her moved[:(]

Any suggestions would be welcome.

LAN-ED-TUL
03-23-2006, 02:16 AM

Lan, I had that same problem on one conversion I did with cutting the housing too small. It might be a variation in the models, I think to be safe I will say to cut them a tad longer.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

that would be a good idea to throw that in the tutorial tim. good thinkin. i guess a person could hotglue the sections on, and hold it up alongside main tube and see or at least get an idea of the fit. i say that, cuz as many have found out, myself too, once you start puttin that sucker in there and have to drive it the last 2 or 3 inches in, it will be next to impossible to get it back out without messing something up doing it. but in the future, i know you said your lookin at havin the machining a lil smaller on outside and bigger on inside for blades. so that should take care of both issues.

Strydur
03-23-2006, 09:09 AM
I will do an updated picture on how to measure it tonight.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Do-Clo
03-23-2006, 09:22 AM
When I cut the plastic holder on the MR I used the new Vader holder as a cutting guide, I layed the new holder beside the plastic one and marked it, then cut it with my scroll saw. As I was putting the blade holder into the hilt and it sarting getting tight I took a pair of pliers and turned the holder to make sure the the holes would line up after I tapped it in with a rubber mallet.

Do-Clo

james3
03-23-2006, 01:18 PM
I did the same thing, just missed by a hair. Probally time to get my eyes checked again.

LAN-ED-TUL
03-23-2006, 08:08 PM
guess my eyes were ok then, i just eyeballed the line up, and drove it in. came out dead on.

good tip on the cuttin do-clo. i will remember that if i do another one.

Strydur
03-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I just updated the tutorial to reflect this. Let me know if it makes sense.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Do-Clo
03-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Looks good Tim I hope that will help those doing the conversion.[8D]

Do-Clo

james3
03-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks Tim, that will definitly help in future conversions. I kinda figured that's how it should line up but followed the lines in the tutorial but I wasn't off much. I'm ready to do another one, now I just need another Vader, Red LED...[:D]

james3
03-24-2006, 01:46 PM
I drilled a demple in one of the spots exposed by the port holes since it will be covered by the wire "thingys" anyway, one little tap with a punch and everything matched up beautiful. The red LED is unbelieveably bright, it is awsome! To bad good guys can't have red blades cause this thing is sweet. Thanks guys, kept me motivated.
EDIT: doublepost-sorry.

Tiberius172
03-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Tim,

I'm having serious problems getting my reworked components back into the Darth Vader housing. Tutorial quote: "Push your new assembly into the hilt and align all the holes. Pull the switch wiring out and resolder to switch. Use the supplied phillips head machine screw to hold the assembly in place."

Everything is assembled correctly and I can't really tell what the hang-up is. Taped sections are smooth with minimal tape so I know it's not tape build up. The plastic portion slides in ok but when it gets to the Aluminum blade holder it starts getting real tight. I tried using a rubber mallet to tap it in but i'm afraid I going to damage something if I force it. I also tried spraying the inside of the vader housing with Silcone lubricant but this did not seem to help.

Any ideas or suggestions? I could probably pound the crap out of it and force it in but again, I worry about damaging the internal connections.

Thanks for the help,
Tiberius

Firebird21
03-27-2006, 08:29 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Tiberius172

I tried using a rubber mallet... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's the problem right there!

You need a BFH![:p] (Big Flipp'n Hammer)

A good sledg should do the trick.[:D]

Are you sure there are no aligning pins/slots of any kind?
I have never done a DV so I'm realy no help here.

Have you read your Thread Index (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=577) today?
FAQ (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=552)
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sabre.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/auto/car-smiley-032.gif

Do-Clo
03-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Try sanding the the inside of your MR hilt to remove any rough spots, and I was not able to use any tape when I did mine so I used hot glue to hold the peices together. I still had to use a rubber mallet to lightly tap the holder assembly into the hilt. It is a very tight fit so make sure your screw holes line up before you tap it in.

Do-Clo

james3
03-27-2006, 08:46 AM
REPEAT: MAKE SURE YOU LINE UP THOSE SCREW HOLES PERFECTLY[:D]

You can't be off by the millimeter on that. Trust me on that one[;)]

After sanding, preping, etc. I ended up with the same deal as Do-Clo with using glue, and sanding...and of course when all else fails like firebird said: <font color="red">BFH-9000</font id="red">[:D]

Strydur
03-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Make sure you have sanded the inside of the tube wherever there is a hole in it. And be sure to do the same on the holder. A burr the size of a hair can make all the difference. You probably should take off the tape and use hot glue, I need to change that in the instructions.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Tiberius172
03-27-2006, 09:09 AM
10-4. I'll use my dremal snake with a wire wheel to polish up the inside of the vader hilt then hot glue the componet pieces together. Hopefully this will do the trick. I can't wait to get this completed!!!

Thanks guys!
Tiberius

LAN-ED-TUL
03-27-2006, 09:58 AM
one thing that will help, using the hotglue, glue it on the inside of the tube to the holder. that way theres nothing on outside of it. i done mine that way. and it helped, but was still darn tight. i drove it in with a hammer. i got lucky, and my holes all lined up perfectly first shot.

Tiberius172
03-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll be careful not to get any on the outside surface.

Tiberius

Derthh_Mawlz
03-27-2006, 12:40 PM
__________________________________________________ ___________________
__________________________________________________ ____________________

If you are a little short on your battery pack after a short cut with the old instructions, just go to Lowes and in the hardware section in the drawers, get a M16 Flat Washer Class 8. It fits well, has a big hole for the speaker (which can br dremeled out to fit the speaker perfectly also), and gives you that extra bit to have a solid battery connection.

Tiberius172
03-28-2006, 07:12 AM
!!!SUCCESS!!! I was finally able to get my housing put back together last night. I used a wire brush and dremal wire wheel to smooth out the inside of the vader hilt then used 200 grit sand paper on Tim's adapter housing followed by 000 steel wool to smooth to a baby's butt finish. I also used the steel wool on the old plastic housing portions to remove all of the tape residue. It was still very snug going in but was mush better. (I'll never get it out though.)
Anyway, I got this re-assembled then spent an hour trying to get the on/off switch soldered back and installed. My solder joint kept breaking when I'd go to seat the switch housing. Finally got completed though. Tonight I'll finish the Blade.

Tiberius

Do-Clo
03-28-2006, 08:17 AM
At least you don't have to worry about the holder falling out. It is a tight fit but it makes a very nice saber when it is done. That is the way MR should have built their sabers in the first place but if they did then we wouldn't have anything to do.

Do-Clo

Tiberius172
03-28-2006, 10:13 AM
You said it! I doubt if the Death Star compactor could destroy this saber! Now to try an Anakin conversion!

Tiberius

LAN-ED-TUL
03-29-2006, 02:02 AM
derth, i did one better. i used self adhesive craft foam from wally world. cout out a circle and then the center to fit perfectly over speaker. peeled off backing stuck it down over speaker/battery part, trimmed off any excess around edges. and slapped it back in and screwed on cap, worked perfectly. and the faom will even add a lil l cushioning, not much, but just a tiny bit.

OB Wayne
04-07-2006, 06:23 PM
i'm having problems getting the lens into the optics holder, if there is a picture posted already, please link, otherwise, please post one. i am really confused as it does not seem to fit together.

any help is greatly appreciated.

xwingband
04-07-2006, 06:32 PM
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=626

I'm dropping in way more than I should... I'm suffering from withdraw.[:D]

<center>Read the FAQ (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=552) or x-wing won't be happy. :(
Before posting did you check the Thread Index (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=577)?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/reelbigporter/bannerxwing.gif</center>

Firebird21
04-07-2006, 06:34 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by OB Wayne

i'm having problems getting the lens into the optics holder, if there is a picture posted already, please link, otherwise, please post one. i am really confused as it does not seem to fit together.

Try this... If this is what you're talking about. It may be diffirent from the conversion setup.
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=626

Have you read your Thread Index (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=577) today?
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sabre.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/auto/car-smiley-032.gif Official Designated TCSS Jester! http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrinjackbox.gif

xwingband
04-07-2006, 06:40 PM
You're slow.

<center>Read the FAQ (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=552) or x-wing won't be happy. :(
Before posting did you check the Thread Index (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=577)?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/reelbigporter/bannerxwing.gif</center>

Firebird21
04-07-2006, 06:42 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

You're slow.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Get out of here...[:(!]

I'm trying to tear up the place! And I can't do that when you keep poping in![:D]

Edit: All right... Let's take this out side!
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_boxing.gif

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sabre.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/auto/car-smiley-032.gif Official Designated TCSS Jester! http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrinjackbox.gif

Do-Clo
04-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Firebird don't make me send the storm troopers to your house (or whats left of your house from their last vist) again.

Do-Clo

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/Do-Clo/DarthVader.gif

Firebird21
04-07-2006, 07:17 PM

Firebird don't make me send the storm troopers to your house (or whats left of your house from their last vist) again.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Outside (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=749&whichpage=9)

Do-Clo
04-07-2006, 07:20 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by OB Wayne

I had some problems with mine but I used my dremel to sand on the optic holder to make it fit.

Do-Clo

OB Wayne
04-07-2006, 09:01 PM
ok, fixed the lens problem. but now, i have a new, more serious one: the new blade holder doesn't fit inside the hilt at all. is it possible to sand this down?

this thing is like 1/2 a millimeter larger that the holder and won't fit at all.

james3
04-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Sand EVERY spot on the hilt, there are small burs around the holes that make it tight, smooth everything, I found it a lot easier with the shroud off so you just had to deal with the pipe. A little gun oil can go a long way as well, she is wicked tight but she will go, don't give up and when ya get close to the end make sure you are all lined up with your holes and use some persuasion[:D]My personal fave is of course the BFH-9000.

OB Wayne
04-07-2006, 09:17 PM
when i say this doesn't fit in the hilt, i mean it doesn't even go inside cuz its too big for da pipe.

I hate Murphy's Law[:(]

james3
04-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Now that there is well said.[;)]

If you can't even get her in like the first cm or so then I reckon you may want to email Tim directly. He is pretty good on keeping up with the boards but the direct approach is always best.
I remember mine was an iron-clad bear to get in it was so tight but I was able to get the first 1/8th inch or so in there so I knew she waas going in, but after reading this whole section I really got an understanding that the sanding had to be done. I thought I did a decent job but I know I missed a spot because there is a line all the way down the holder under the holes in the hilt.

OB Wayne
04-07-2006, 09:33 PM
how well does oil help and is it a good idea to be using it?

Help me OB Wayne, you're my only hope.

james3
04-07-2006, 09:46 PM
I am a firm believer in a little oil when working with metal. Just like your engine, metal against metal is friction and the proper oil is a lube so that the friction is reduced. Motor oils are way to heavy for this application but a nice gun oil like REM-OIL or Breakfree is wonderful stuff. The important thing is to not over do it then ya just have a mess. For a tight blade holder I use say 3 small drops and use a gun cloth to rub it around, it should be coated but not overly wet.

Firebird21
04-07-2006, 09:52 PM
I still think the BFH=9000 is the best option! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sauer/angry-smiley-044.gif

And please video tape it![:p]

james3
04-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Heck Yeah! when Tim get's those bad boys in stock I am going to pick one up, and make a video tutorial with it starting with the Vader conversion. Next will be when you picked up a sink pipe from your local store to build a hilt waiting for Tim's blade holder to come in only to find out that ya got the heavier guage pipe and that puppy don't wanna go, it's REALLY time to break that bad boy out.

Protein5000
04-07-2006, 10:15 PM
I've read that most of the people who have tried the Vader conversions - the holder is too big for the hit. Gotta sand inside the hilt, and also the blade holder - will take a while but do a bit at a time then test it and so on. Also, don't use tape to attacht he holer to the electronics housing - use hot glue.

NooB1Kenobi
04-08-2006, 12:05 PM
I use a different lense holder... My lense snaps in place in them.. [:(]

Female Twi'leks are so Hot! I want one. =0)~

Do-Clo
04-08-2006, 02:02 PM
On the mhs holder I have no problem with the optic holder snaping in place but on the vader kit I had to do some dremel work to make it work no big deal

Do-Clo

LAN-ED-TUL
04-08-2006, 06:29 PM
yep protein thats right! lol

OB Wayne
04-08-2006, 09:04 PM
let me get this straight, you want me to video tape my epic struggle for your amusement?! that's evil! I'll see what i can do.[;)]

Help me OB Wayne, you're my only hope.

Do-Clo
04-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Just a thought for those who have done the vader conversion how long did it take you? I spent three hours to make it all fit together.

Do-Clo

Ambo
04-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Took me bout that. I would say 1 hour for disasembly, a few weeks for parts to become available. Then bout 2 hours to put it all back together. Then less than 2 seconds for my three year old to steal it from me. heh.

Protein5000
04-08-2006, 11:03 PM
The damn thing took me 8 hours to finish. Phantom Menace was on TV that night. I was converting it for my brother, and I missed out on it while the family watched it lol [:(]

LAN-ED-TUL
04-09-2006, 03:08 AM
my first and only one so far, took me 4 hours. i had a printout of the tutorial in front of me whilst i did it.

NooB1Kenobi
04-09-2006, 04:36 AM
Some take me about 2.5 hours and some take me about 3.0 hours.. Alot depends on that stupid pin in the switch bolt. That and it depends on how much I'm drinking while I do it.. A lil Country music, a lil beer and a few hours in the garage..

A Master Replica Lightsaber: $80.00
Lense and Optics: $10.53
Essential Accessories for Conversion: $10.00
Shipping: $20.00

The feeling from slicing down your former master with your newly constructed lightsaber: Priceless

There's somethings Money can't buy
For everything else there's Master Card
[:D] [}:)]

Link to my favorite Priceless commercial
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5864097001633806354

james3
04-09-2006, 05:56 AM
I worked on mine over the course of several days but I reckon if you total up the time it was about 3.5 to 4 hours. I must have got lucky with the pin or something because I had the hilt disasembled in 10-15 mins. The most time consuming thing for me was sanding, fitting the thing back together and to figure out a way to get the holes lined up when I missed the first time.

Don't miss the first time!

LAN-ED-TUL
04-09-2006, 06:04 AM
ya got that right james. i had mine apart in around 20 minutes. took longer to get back together, with the sandin and all. just like you.i had more trouble gettin that pin restarted back in there. and only made a couple tiny marks in the black paint. i need to rig a jig up like tim did. that would help alot. maybe tim could whip out some of them to sell for the convertions. hint.

NooB1Kenobi
04-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Perhaps the tool could be made up for sale.. Something for the wish list... I just tape up the black pieces with painters tape... Yes though getting the pin back in is the hardest part of it though.. I'm happy just to get it in one hole..

LAN-ED-TUL
04-09-2006, 03:27 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Yes though getting the pin back in is the hardest part of it though.. I'm happy just to get it in one hole..

now thats a picture i didnt need stuck in my mind, lol

NooB1Kenobi
04-09-2006, 04:40 PM
What picture?? I don't see a picture.. Something broke?
I'm so confused.. [?]

LAN-ED-TUL
04-09-2006, 05:18 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by NooB1Kenobi

I'm happy just to get it in one hole..

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> this part. happy to get it in hole, just doesnt sound right, if ya get it now? bad pic in mind.

Do-Clo
04-09-2006, 06:10 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LAN-ED-TUL

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by NooB1Kenobi

I'm happy just to get it in one hole..

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> this part. happy to get it in hole, just doesnt sound right, if ya get it now? bad pic in mind.

That is really risky terminology

Do-Clo

NooB1Kenobi
04-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Ok I am happy to get the pin in the hole in the bolt to hold the switch housing together...

Thought maybe the commercial I put a link to left a bad image...

LAN-ED-TUL
04-09-2006, 10:19 PM
thats better. the way ya had that wrote, made a very bad image in my mind. thats why i said, i didnt need that picture, LOL

NooB1Kenobi
04-09-2006, 11:47 PM
That link to the priceless mastercard commercial left a bad image in my head..... Still funny though...

LAN-ED-TUL
04-10-2006, 12:09 AM
guess i missed that part. have to check it out.

Do-Clo
04-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Thought maybe the commercial I put a link to left a bad image...

Priceless (lol)

Do-Clo

LAN-ED-TUL
04-10-2006, 09:29 AM
ya, i got to see it, but i couldnt hear it.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/LAN-ED-TUL/me.jpg

james3
04-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Ok I am getting ready to take on another Vader that I lucked out and picked up for 16 bucks[:D] I already ordered another Vader kit with a red LED and 34" blade so now I have this crazy urge to modify the first Vader I did to a more duelable style. I love the Vader and Anakin/Luke sabers but the activation boxes always bite my hand with the grip I prefer to use. So, I was thinking of a mini activator to cover the screw holes, and such but it would have a rounded edge and not be much taller then 3/8" or so about like the flash button towards the top. Using a sub-mini switch and a slide plate would avoid any accidental toggles during a dual. I have been trying to come up with something to use or thinking about seeing if I can get it made, any suggestions?

Do-Clo
04-10-2006, 11:36 AM
The anakin would fairly easy since it already has the cut out and holes drilled just a matter of making a cover plate and a slidere for the switch, or maybe a small rocker switch that should fairly low profile. Or take the Vader you are going to convert and make a new low profile actavation box from scratch.

Do-Clo

james3
04-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Sometimes I have as much restraint as my children. I already took the activation parts off and have the wires together and taped and D@M^! it feels real nice. I am totally committed now because I got just a little to excited and broke one of the tabs that help support the switch covers. I feel like a dum-bass but I hey, It will be my little Vader tribute sith saber.

Do-Clo
04-10-2006, 01:02 PM
James my apprentence you must use the power of the dark side to gain control.[}:)]

Or you could look for a doorbell switch and put a small on/off switch in the center of the box.

Do-Clo

james3
04-10-2006, 05:34 PM
As you wish, my master.

I was up at soccer practice with my 3-4 yr olds and it dawned on me that I might be able to make the box with a mold or something. I could make a mold with wood and then use resin or something that may be easy on the wallet and quick to get. There are a few doorbell designs that would work as well so I will use that as a back up but I have this "activator" in my head and I have to try to come up with something.

Do-Clo
04-10-2006, 05:45 PM
I had to stop at lowes on the way home for a couple of things so I picked up a basic doorbell switch, I will try and work it into one of my new designs. Your idea to mold one should work out well.

Do-Clo

LAN-ED-TUL
04-11-2006, 03:12 PM
yeah, my local ace hardware store knows me real good. i walk in and they say, hiya lightsaber guy. lol

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/LAN-ED-TUL/me.jpg

Artifical_Lynx
05-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Yeah I wish I had that much dedication to my conversions but I'm still learning how I just did my first anakin,vader so far but I've been really interested in making my own custom saber.

"Gentlemen your swords please we don't want to make a mess of things ", Count Dooku

LAN-ED-TUL
05-05-2006, 08:47 PM
keep tryin you'll get there in no time.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/LAN-ED-TUL/groupshot.jpg

The Brotherhood Of The Sith

Do-Clo
05-06-2006, 12:14 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Artifical_Lynx

Yeah I wish I had that much dedication to my conversions but I'm still learning how I just did my first anakin,vader so far but I've been really interested in making my own custom saber.

"Gentlemen your swords please we don't want to make a mess of things ", Count Dooku

With all things worth doing it takes practice and self control (what am I saying I am a sith lord we don't do self control), in time you will be more comfortable with your skills and you will be ready to tackle that custom saber.

Do-Clo
Sith Lord
Brotherhood of the Sith

LAN-ED-TUL
05-08-2006, 03:06 AM
yeah we just do what we want, get what we want, we have seen the last of the rebellion and the last of all resistance!

Artifical_Lynx
05-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Dude that's sounds so tight. Anyways yeah does anyone know what is the difference if you convert using tim's conversion kit or just converting it yourself without tim's conversion? My Vader was converted using the MR blade holder and it's still in great shape although the blade is a different story.

"Lightness in body"

Do-Clo
05-10-2006, 09:12 PM
I have done them both ways, if you plan on dueling with your conversion then you want to go with the conversion kit and a poly-c blade. If you just want a saber for light dueling and to use with your costume then you can go with the stock parts.

Do-Clo
Sith Lord
Brotherhood of the Sith
Give yourself to the Dark Side!!!

james3
05-10-2006, 10:07 PM
(As I put on my best salesman pitch)
Why would you not want anything but the best? Tim's parts are built for durability and dependability. A Vader blade holder helps increase the weight, and it supports the highly acclaimed TCSS 1/8" Polycarbonate blade. So come on down and order your self the best that you can, tell 'em James sent ya[;)]

I did one vader with just the factory stuff and it was ok, I ended up getting Tim's parts and doing the TCSS conversion. It does give it a great feel.

<center>http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/James3sig.jpg</center>

LAN-ED-TUL
05-10-2006, 10:15 PM
by all means, if you really want to duel around you NEED tims holder conversion kit. now if your just doing tap tap hits, then the stock stuff will work, but really, whos gonna settle for tap tap, when you can have kill kill instead, right?

Wolverine
05-10-2006, 11:40 PM
You seem to be surrounded by Sithlords lately, Artifical_Lynx,

with their "familiar" James3 [:D] also known as "The Pitchman" [:D][8D]

Sound advice though!!

-Brotherhood of the Sith-

LAN-ED-TUL
05-11-2006, 12:38 AM
a sith mind trick, you will buy holder from tim, you have plenty of money, no you wont get in trouble, no you dont have to eat this week, yes you can pay for it.

NooB1Kenobi
05-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Sheesh! I can't comment on this.. I guess it's a cost verse peace of mind thing.. I've yet to use a conversion kit.. I've dueled pretty hard too.. Metal would be more sturdier and stronger though..
I guess it's up to you and if you want to spend the money..
Now I'd say when it comes to an Anakin get the kit for that seeing how much of the plastic blade holder sticks out of the hilt..

LAN-ED-TUL
05-11-2006, 05:36 AM
i havent done a anakin yet, but im sure its like you say.

i did do one vader and im selling that one. my own personal vader im keepin im thinkin real strong bout convertin it too.

Do-Clo
05-11-2006, 07:26 AM
I just did a anakin with stock parts and it turned out well I would not want to heavy duel with it but under normal MR dueling it will be fine, better in fact because you don't have to worry about the lights going out.[:D]

Do-Clo
Sith Lord
Brotherhood of the Sith
Give yourself to the Dark Side!!!

suit_man
05-11-2006, 02:24 PM
if you have access to a welder, you can easily make a bladeholder. sorry, i can't afford tim's conversion, but the one i made is strong and metal and the parts cost about 3 dollars, but that doesn't include a heatsink.

Artifical_Lynx
05-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Yeah I've dueled intensely with the Stock Blade holder with my vader but this summer I might just buy a TCSS conversion kit anyways to see the difference. So far I've killed three Anakins with Tim's Blade like in the hyperdynelabs video number 2.

"Lightness in body"

Artifical_Lynx
05-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Oh yeah and also thanks bro's for telling me the difference and why I should get a TCSS conversion kit. It doesn't really matter to me as long as the saber is still intact I'm dueling with it til it breaks.

"Lightness in body"

Firebird21
05-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Well I just finished converting my Vader...

And that is a tight fit!

I had it stuck in there at one point...
Good thing for those wire holes.

Ironically, I believe those are the problem...
MR apparently just "Punches" out the holes that actually bends the pipe out of round. This is fine for the tolerances of the stock plastic insert, but Tim's aluminum insert has a much closer tolerance.

So Tim's perfectly round, exact tolerance aluminum holder doesn't like to fit into the hilt that is dented from the hole punch machine. Mind you, I'm talking very small amount of distortion here.

But I took the Dremmle to the inside of the hilt paying special attention to all the holes and it fit in very well. As has been pointed out already.

Now I just have to figure out what all these extra screws are from? And why do I always have them after I fix something? That could be a problem…

"It's not done right unless you've got parts left over."

james3
05-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Firebird did ya at least hit it once with the BFH-9000?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/smashfreak.gif

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/bash.gif

<center>http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/James3sig.jpg</center>

LAN-ED-TUL
05-25-2006, 11:23 PM
yeah, i even used a dremel on the inside and sandpaper and all, and mine was still tight as heck. i was lucky tho, i had it lined up perfect as i was tapping it in with a hammer. and my blade holder socket was to tight on it to, i had to sandpaper that out a lil bit to get the blade to fit.

i think these problems that been reported to tim has been addressed by him, and i havent bought another kit yet, but i will, as i plan on converting the one im keepin for myself. so i wont know if theyre still tight on the fit on either area till then. i think tim had some of the problems corrected already.

<center>http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/LAN-ED-TUL/LANSIG.jpg</center>

Lan-Ed-Tul

mkadvil
12-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Hate to bring old threads back to life but I am having the EXACT same problem as original poster. I have tried two people. hitting it with a nail puncher. pulling with tweezers. pulling with pliers and even got so mad i tried to cut it off. this thing must be made of wolverine's adamantium cause it aint movin. any ideas friends?80668067

shmoetech
12-18-2012, 07:36 AM
you have squeeze in both sides of activation box, this will relieve tension on pin.

mkadvil
12-18-2012, 12:32 PM
so you are talking about the big black box and not the big metal pin? i ask a silly question like this just because this is becoming quite tiresome

shmoetech
12-18-2012, 03:51 PM
so you are talking about the big black box and not the big metal pin? i ask a silly question like this just because this is becoming quite tiresome

yes the black box....i've done to D.V. conversions and this part is the biggest pain

mkadvil
12-18-2012, 08:39 PM
any more advice then? I think the pin is pretty stripped at this point I even tried slapping some WD-40 on it

mkadvil
03-18-2013, 10:57 AM
I hate to do this, but i recently continued efforts on my little vader nightmare. I can get the pin to move which is good but it seems to be stuck inside the bigger pin. very sad.