PDA

View Full Version : I suppose this is late, but...

Davey
01-16-2008, 10:26 AM
I can't believe I forgot to introduce myself! I ran into a few problems when I first came to the old PHPBB board when I tried logging in at first, thanks to Xwingband for helping me out with that!

I'll introduce myself now: My name is Davey, I live around the Toronto area in Canada. I'm a first-year mechanical engineering tech student. I was referred here by the people over at Stardestroyer.net when I started asking some questions about building illuminated sabers.

Once a Warsie, always a Warsie, and I've been a Warsie since I was a kid, and I still remember cobbling together crude illuminated sabers using fisher-price flashlights and golf tubes with duct tape, screws, and nails. I would've bought the Starwars toys but I never really got around to it. But now times have changed, as have I. I'm looking to build my very first illuminated saber from scratch. I'm a very extreme person and my saber designs (http://daveluck.deviantart.com/gallery/#Lightsaber-I) reflects that. Even though this is a prop, that hasn't stopped me from deciding to use stainless and tool steels in its construction to make this saber indestructible - and just to make this design even more wicked and imposing, I decided to add a treated spike onto the pommel made from treated hardened tool steel. I did the designs in AutoCAD but unfortunately I haven't had much time in the machine shop to actually get down to making them. If I had time down there, then resources and tooling wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, we're not normally supposed to use the machinery for anything else but school projects.

Despite that, I'm hopeful, and I'm glad I found this site, I'm going to need all the help I can get if I'm going to make this baby.

Thanks!

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
01-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Hey, another Ontarian! Welcome! I'm about 1 1/2 hours north of Toronto.

Those are some pretty detailed designs. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done. I'd be interested to see how you adapt it to hold a blade and LED.

Darth_DevilGuy
01-16-2008, 03:17 PM
hey there, nice to meet ya!:cool: