PDA

View Full Version : Best Build To "Mock Duel" With?

Jak-Jak
01-15-2008, 12:03 AM
I play with my lil bro alot with toy lightsabers and was interested in how to build one that is nice, yet can take alot of bangs without wasting money.

Darth_DevilGuy
01-15-2008, 01:21 AM
from all that I've read the MHS ones with corbin style blade are nigh unto indestructible. haven't built mine yet but I hear they can take quite a hit with no problems.

Jak-Jak
01-15-2008, 01:26 AM
from all that I've read the MHS ones with corbin style blade are nigh unto indestructible. haven't built mine yet but I hear they can take quite a hit with no problems.

Do you think the hilts would be something I should be afraid of breaking too?

Darth_DevilGuy
01-15-2008, 01:33 AM
I don't really know, I haven't built one yet, however it is made of milled aluminum, so it's gotta be pretty tough, I'd think the blade would break first and from what I've seen of the Master Replicas blades, which aren't as strong, you'd have to be trying fairly hard to do it at all.

Jak-Jak
01-15-2008, 01:55 AM
Mmk, see I havent made one either so I'm still trying to just figure out the baisc stuff like this.

strengthofrage
01-15-2008, 05:55 AM
MHS hilt = indestructible

The MHS hilt itself is really solid and well done. The only thing that you would have to worry about is whatever additional shrouding or 'decoration' that you may add to customize it. The 1' battle blades will handle anything that you could think of hitting it against.

Jak-Jak
01-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Good feedback, appreciate it guys. :-D

Hasid Lafre
01-15-2008, 11:49 AM
if you drop it on a hard surface like concreat it will get scuffed up and roughed up but not oh my god its destroyed.

Sage
01-16-2008, 07:52 AM
lol build it without your bro knowing, then come into his room and go...

"I challenge you to (Lightsaber Igniting) MORTAL KOMBAT!!!"

Jak-Jak
01-18-2008, 06:37 PM
lol build it without your bro knowing, then come into his room and go...

"I challenge you to (Lightsaber Igniting) MORTAL KOMBAT!!!"

haha scare the poor kid to death! I LOVE IT! ^^

Novastar
02-08-2008, 02:51 AM
Many of the sabers built for Balance of Power (all Episodes) had the whole "invulnerability" thing in mind. In fact, it was the bedrock principle to whether or not the saber would be "ready" for the shows.

They have gone through INORDINATE amounts of abuse. Dropped on concrete, tile, wood, steel... thrown into the air + crashing to the ground while people were screwing around testing their "jedi majorette" skills... and naturally throngs of staged combat.

The results are pretty surprising... in a world of items that are temporal! They SURVIVED! Pretty darn well, actually! :)

The major major downfalls... are certain styles of switches, especially if they go "unprotected" or "unrecessed". In other words, if your switch sticks out like a sore thumb and the saber can "land" on it while falling... you'd better hope the switch can handle that kind of shock.

Some latching switches that I like to use have a major weakness... lots of direct pressure or direct shock (from a drop/fall)... can sometimes destroy the switch, rendering the electronics inoperable...

...although everything else stays intact!

BhujangiJedi
02-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I think your cheapest source for a bright, sturdy, easy to handle saber is Ultrasabers' $80 stunt... if you can ever find it for sale. However, should you damage it I suspect it will be harder to repair than an MHS.

As people have already mentioned, these are very sturdy sabers. However, you build it yourself, so how sturdy it is ultimately depends on how well you build it. The hilt is a hollow metal tube, so it's up to you to make sure all of your solder joints are solid and everything is secured inside the hilt so it doesn't shake around and smash into other parts.

Having built it yourself, you will understand it inside and out, so if you need to repair it, replace parts, or upgrade it, no problem. You can also change colors fairly easily and inexpensively (really easy & cheap if you go for white LED + filters).

Good luck!