PDA

View Full Version : Would a one-way mirror work?

darthnerdold
01-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Hello. I'm kind of new here. (I've been here for a few months but have not posted too much.) I was thinking that if some sort of one-way mirror film inside the blade would do anything still have standard films. The light would reflect completely if in a dark room. The mirror side would be inside the blade of course. I am not planning to do any kind of test or anything... I just had the idea.

Here is a place to purchase the film:

http://www.solarfilmco.com/mirror-window-film.html

Stinky Bantha
01-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Well, the main point of the blade is to get as much light as possible diffused along the path of the beam without sacrificing too much brightness. While the mirror film would direct the beam, it would filter out too much of the light and make a pretty dim blade. It's best to stick with mirrors just on the tip of the blade.

Hasid Lafre
01-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, the reflective film dosent really do to much. I need to invest in 2 new blades at some point.

Darth_DevilGuy
01-15-2008, 01:53 AM
not to mention a one way mirror relies on the mirror side being exposed to more light in order to obscure view, essentially the mirror effect is from glare, this will never occur with the LED behind the film, so it kind of defeats itself.

DarthFender
01-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Hello. I'm kind of new here. (I've been here for a few months but have not posted too much.) I was thinking that if some sort of one-way mirror film inside the blade would do anything still have standard films. The light would reflect completely if in a dark room. The mirror side would be inside the blade of course. I am not planning to do any kind of test or anything... I just had the idea.

Here is a place to purchase the film:

http://www.solarfilmco.com/mirror-window-film.html

I think a better use of one way mirror film is to use it at the tip of the blade. That way it allows enough light through to light up the shouldered tip, but reflects enough back to make the baber brighter. That's my thought.

Corbin_Das
03-07-2008, 12:08 AM
I think a better use of one way mirror film is to use it at the tip of the blade. That way it allows enough light through to light up the shouldered tip, but reflects enough back to make the baber brighter. That's my thought.

Agreed.

That's how we've been doing it for years and it seems to work well. The trick is to get the diameter of the film to not be too big, or you get tip flare.... or too small, then you waste light that could be "recycled". Too small also makes the tip light up TOO much, which gives you a "mushroom head" look to your blade.

Corbin Das