PDA

View Full Version : Tough day to be a Dremel

strengthofrage
01-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Hey guys, some pics of todays all out holy war against my Dremel and my supply of cutting discs...

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/4012/1000619dc5.jpg

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1849/1000620xr2.jpg

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5994/1000622kt2.jpg

I bought two 12 inch lengths of aluminum tube from Online Metals, I had a heck of a time with it and broke a bunch of cutting wheels. The sanding barrels got wasted as well. This is gonna be a long project, I just started.

Daj Nallig
01-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Looks like you're off to a good start.. keep the pics coming as you progress. That is gonna be one fine hilt.

TimeRender
01-13-2008, 06:41 PM
How well does your aluminum tube fit around the MHS parts?

strengthofrage
01-13-2008, 08:51 PM
The tube i ordered is 1.75 OD, 1.5 ID & .125 wall. The MHS parts are just shy of 1.5 OD so the tube fits loosely enough for me to put a couple coats of epoxy paint on the hilt pieces before the shroud piece goes on. It will also allow me to line the inside of the shroud with a thin layer of felt so that when I remove the shroud it wont scratch the hilt. The shroud will be secured with 2 thumbscrews from the shop. This way it can be disassembled without any tools. My last MHS used 4-40 allen key screws for the shroud and was a pain to remove. This one will be a little more user friendly.

TimeRender
01-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Someone else said that the tube from Online Metals fit slightly loose and you just confirmed that for me. Thanks SoR.

strengthofrage
01-14-2008, 05:11 AM
No problem.

They list their tolerances at +/- .o6 and they say they cant guarantee the ID (most important part for us lol)... The MHS parts are shy of 1.5 OD, I guess a little loose is better than tight.

I was kinda worried about it until the tubes came in the mail. After shipping it was almost $40 total. I am happy with them though. I wanted shroud material with some thickness to it, sink tube wouldnt work for this application.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
01-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Looks good so far. I can't wait to see the finished saber.

Before I found this site, I made a few belt-hangers out of vacuum cleaner pipe. That stuff is tough to get through. I used to buy those cut off wheels in packages of 50.

Jay-gon Jinn
01-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Looks like what you need is a side-scrolling metal-cutting bit. Dremel accesory #9901, "Tungsten Carbide Cutter." It's what I use if I have to do some carving on aluminum. I used one to carve out an opening in my solid aluminum switch box back when I installed an MR board in my custom saber:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/luxsaber_switchbox_mod_1.jpg

Worked like a charm!

strengthofrage
01-14-2008, 04:38 PM
That would be perfect Jay-Gon, thanks for the tip!

...I am leaving for Home Depot lol

strengthofrage
01-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Ok, after a quick trip to Home Depot...

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1276/1000623ip3.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8121/1000624ax6.jpg

Thanks Jay-Gon, that bit helps a ton... The shroud is starting to take shape!

ArkaiHalon
01-14-2008, 07:52 PM
SoR, that shroud is frikkin awesome. I like the beefy look to it, and I agree that sink tube just wouldn't have been the same.

Jay-Gon, thanks for thetip about the tip. LOL

Darth Zecks
01-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Well done SoR. Those Dremels are awsome but they do lack a little in the muscle department. Keep us posted.

strengthofrage
01-15-2008, 06:00 AM
Thanks guys, I will post some pics as I go.

On a side note, after I was done last night it seems my Dremel now only has 2 speeds, full speed or off. It is a variable speed model, I hope I didnt push it too hard :(

Ghostbat
01-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Oh that's very nice! A decided step up from sink tube!

As much as I love Dremel they don't make the best motor tools around anymore. Well they never did if you count the industrial type, but for a hobby level motor tool they were tops for a long time.

Black and Decker of all people (Normally I hate their power tools) kind of took everything that was substandard with a Dremel and made their motor tools easier to use and more durable... I'm still having a hard time believing it myself :)

Jay-gon Jinn
01-16-2008, 12:40 PM
I probably should've mentioned that you should take your time when using that cutter....it's not really a high-speed bit (well it is in the sense that the tool spins it High-speed...just not the travel through the material). Start by drilling a hole, then insert he cuttter, and turn on the tool to a medium speed. You should move the bit slowly, and if it starts to "chatter" slow down.

I hope your drememl was just overheated and not permanently damaged.....I use a Craftsman Rotary Tool, it's basically thier version of a Dremel, and haven't had any trouble with it.

strengthofrage
01-17-2008, 11:51 AM
I used the bit more for shaping really, I didnt use it to cut. After I used the cutting wheels for straight lines I used the new bit to shape the curves.

The Dremel is still only working at full speed, no variable speeds seem to work. This is the second Dremel of this model that I have had in 2 months. I am disapointed really. I dont use it that much and am surprised that it is malfunctioning... again. If this one is toast I may try another brand or rotary tool. I am just used to Dremel being the better of the options.

Hasid Lafre
01-17-2008, 03:37 PM
price and a name dosent mean better.

strengthofrage
01-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Very true Hasid, very true. I had the same dremel for years and got a new one when I moved recently. Can't believe how this model is acting up. Ah well, if this one is toast I will return it if they let me, then try something else. It would be very difficult to make a saber without a rotary tool.

DarthFender
01-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Remember the old Olsmobile Commercial? This is not your father's Oldsmobile? Same is true for Dremmel. This is not your father's dremmel.

Translation: "They just don't make 'em like they used to"