PDA

View Full Version : Colored cellophane diffuser?

Jonitus
02-07-2006, 03:12 PM
I want to make a purple blade without having to resort to a colored disc sitting down in the hilt. Has anyone here tried colored cellophane as a blade film?

I can get a 40" by 100' roll of purple cellophane for about $15.

Thoughts?

...how will you know the light unless you have seen the dark? How will you know the good unless you have flirted with the evil?

scaarmor
02-07-2006, 04:43 PM
To use a material like this inside of the tube would do the same thing the colored discs would. It would still make it less bright than an unfiltered LED. Of course there are no purple LEDs but depending on the cellophane you use it might make it less bright than the colored discs...Because you are still sending the light through a colored object you are still subject to the downfalls of the discs, but if you used the discs you could have more than one shade of purple and get the perfect one (for you). Where your cellophane would only yeild one shade of purple.Just a thought.

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Jonitus
02-08-2006, 01:15 PM
I suppose I can see where you're coming from, but I am confused as to why other films like Corbin's blade film work so effectively and don't block light transmission.

I also saw a roll of irridescent cellophane that I though might look cool.

...how will you know the light unless you have seen the dark? How will you know the good unless you have flirted with the evil?

xwingband
02-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Okies, think back to the last science course you had... light acts like a wave. In a film blade you are reflecting the light inward. They meet and add to each other (constructive resonance). In the middle you get that core because directly in the center all the waves of light are meeting and building up to the point where it makes a much brighter core.

There is some light light blocking happening though. A blade with film doesn't look clear when it's off. It most often is opaque. Gelu and Vadeblades attempts to do this very thing show this the best, they are silver when off. No light goes through. The inside of the blade is REALLY bright when on, to the point that it overcomes the light transmission factor of the film and the end result leads you to believe no light is being wasted by getting filtered.

EDIT: I'll take some nice pics sometime to demnstrate this. I'll be ordering Corbin's blade film and I just got a boat load of mylar from Tiberius.[:D]

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

scaarmor
02-08-2006, 10:36 PM
What he said.
Also, you have to understand that anything you put in the PolyC blade is going to block light. Thats why the diffusers work. They reflect most of the light back inward onto itself making the tube look an almost evenly bright color, like a rod of light. Thats why the blades themselves are so bright but still only cast mildy bright light onto the things around them. The inside of the diffuser tube is what is bright and because it is opaque you can see the light inside.

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Jonitus
02-09-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm going to try and refrain from getting nasty, but neither of you has answered my question. I do not need the physics lesson, nor do I need the lesson regarding how a diffuser works. I know this already. How about I restate the question, and we can try this again:

How effective would colored (or translucent for that matter) celophane work as a diffuser material as opposed to Tim's diffuser or Corbin's blade film or the mylar that was recently discussed? Would it works as effectively? Less effectively? The same level of effectiveness?

...how will you know the light unless you have seen the dark?

xwingband
02-09-2006, 02:36 PM
"To use a material like this inside of the tube would do the same thing the colored discs would. It would still make it less bright than an unfiltered LED."

^^^In Scaarmor's first reply. How does that not answer your question??? You then said you were confused as to why films like Corbin's work so well. We both attempted to explain that. Whether the color filter is above the LED or on the blade it'd still be made dimmer. You'd have the same affect as putting a gel disk over the LED and using Corbin's film.

There is no need to get nasty either. That's the last thing I want.[xx(]

Jonitus
02-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Okay...now explain to me why a clear celophane or a translucent celophane would not work. Just answer the question. No inaccurate discussion of light as a wave versus a particle, no $5 words, just an explanation.

I've used Tim's diffuser and I don't like the effect it gives. I have used Corbin's balde film and I don't like the effect it gives. The mylar is cost prohibitive for the number of sabers I am building for customers (unless I price gouge them).

scaarmor
02-09-2006, 03:07 PM
No one said it wouldnt work. You said in your first post you wanted to make a purple blade without using filters...Cellophane is a filter.

Now onto your newest question/remark...You get what you pay for. If you dont like Tims or Corbins, but you dont want to pay for the mylar thats fine, try something else. But cheap cellophane will probibly look as cheap as it is. So try it, like it or dont and post what you think of it. I am sorry you feel that we beat around your question but if you look at your own post, we answered for what you worded. If you dont like your post/question or dont feel we get what you mean then simply state that and reword your question. Saying your "trying to refrain from getting nasty" seems to me like a hollow threat, and when you make such things we feel less and less like helping you with this or any question. If you dont want nasty replies, dont threaten it yourself.

Cain

***A man is known by the enemies he carries, so make the best ones you can.***

***Give me a decent foothold and I will move the world.***

xwingband
02-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Clear cellophane would probably work just the same as mylar, but I imagine it'd take a lot more work layering it. You asked about purple cellophane so that's how we answered it.

Any filter meant to change the color of white light blocks out all the other colors (white being a combo of all colors). That is the how it blocks light transmission. Like I said previously whether it's in the blade or over the LED with a disk if you had the same color cellophane as the disk the light transmission would stay the same (making it dimmer).

If you don't like either, have you tried Tim's and Corbin's together? I heard Corbin tried it and didn't think it looked bad. If not, you're out of luck and need to invent something you like or be less picky and go with what looks better.

Mur-Pa DiLos
02-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Boy, talk about not taking constructive criticism too well. It would work about the same as the filter. I USE THE FILTER DISCS THAT TIM SELLS AND BELIEVE ME, NOBODY IS COMPLAINING ABOUT THE PURPLE NOT BEING BRIGHT ENOUGH OR CLOSE ENOUGH TO MACE'S COLOR. It really works. I like the keep it simple method, so I just use the filter and the diffuser Tim sells and it looks awesome. I'll post pics as soon as I can get a digital camera and post them in the LED colors/blades forum. The purple celophane will work, but if you layer it too deeply like Gelu does with the mylar, I'm afraid it would darken it too much.

BTW nobody here is trying to bust another one's chops. We basically go for a philosophy that noone knows anything and we describe everything in detail. It has helped me considerably in the last few months that I have been here. We're all trying to help. Now, for the answer to your question: YES, IT WOULD WORK.[}:)]