PDA

View Full Version : Obiwan Concept saber

djobitwan7
01-09-2008, 12:40 PM
I am very interested, like the rest of you die hard Star Wars fans, in making a custom saber. This is what I came up with. This is my first draft and I am making a 2nd draft, which should help much better. Anyways, enjoy and let me know what you guys think.

http://a796.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/113/l_02373e9caa5eedb7c0d90aa46e5fe1fb.jpg

djobitwan7
01-09-2008, 12:44 PM
This is my 2nd draft of elements which I wanted to improve upon. Now I have a focus crystal and the activator switch seems more logical to me. Enjoy and post what may need improving. Thanks.

http://a799.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/89/l_d2783e3faa9291130eab313ec339b21e.jpg

Tom Starkiller
01-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Nice, the pomel looks great, always has been one of my favourites. (Since the TPM cam out that is lol)

Darth_DevilGuy
01-09-2008, 01:00 PM
interesting design, post pics if/when you build it.

Lord Maul
01-09-2008, 03:53 PM
How long is the hilt? If you plan on having the crystal chamber visible, the MINIMUM hilt length is around 13 inches.

MaverickJsmith
01-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Djobi sent me this design. And I'm slated to make it after I do something for Malaki. Looks cool. It will be interesting to make the crystal chamber.

Btw, does anybody have the dimensions for that obi pommel? Without them itll be crazy hard to make in sketchup @_@

djobitwan7
01-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi all. I am getting the measurements more exact, I just had no time recently to do this, plus I'm not sure what the average diameter and such should be. The length should be around accurate though. 13 3/4" total. I did this for I thought this would help with center of gravity and incorporate everything I wanted/needed. As long as the O.D. feels comfortable to swing I should be fine. 1.5" will probably be a more realistic from what I can tell. Maverick is helping me with this, but I have other plans too.

Also, anyone know what measurements were for Obiwan's EPI saber (pommel only)? I just drew it up from pics that I saw, but to put sound and everything in it, I'd have to adjust. The speaker on here is 1.1" and the mount is 1.25". This would help get measurements and such much quicker and then I can draw them up much better. Thanks a bunch people. I value the opinions greatly.

Ashron
01-11-2008, 02:37 PM
If you want the specs for the obi-wan saber check out www.sitharchives.com it has a the blueprints for the movie sabers. Here is the one for Obi-wan.

http://sitharchives.com/ot/obi-wan-big.htm

MaverickJsmith
01-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Lol Ashron, I was just there :D

I rediscovered that site after YEARS (thanks to another members link to his site :D)

So I'll be able to do the obi pommel pretty easily now. I Just finished Malaki's lightsaber the other day (go have a look), so Djobi ill get started yours in the next day or two.

But feel free to still send me any dimensions you manage to get. Any you can give me will make it go a lot faster and better.

djobitwan7
01-21-2008, 05:29 PM
I had a thought upon looking how the blades are done here at TCSS. Has anyone made their blades connect like a BNC? This may have been in discussion in this forum at some point, but thought I'd ask, since I didn't find any yet. Thanks again all for your input.

For Maverick. The only real dimension I have so far is the length. 13 3/4" and 1.5" for the Outer diameter (mostly). I'm working with a friend to get those measurements.

Malaki Skywalker
02-24-2008, 01:09 PM
I had a thought upon looking how the blades are done here at TCSS. Has anyone made their blades connect like a BNC? This may have been in discussion in this forum at some point, but thought I'd ask, since I didn't find any yet. Thanks again all for your input.

For Maverick. The only real dimension I have so far is the length. 13 3/4" and 1.5" for the Outer diameter (mostly). I'm working with a friend to get those measurements.

Why would you want to use a BNC connector? you do know there are no electronics in a luxeon blade? :neutral:

Ghostbat
02-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Why would you want to use a BNC connector? you do know there are no electronics in a luxeon blade? :neutral:

That was brought up in the last thread about this. What he means isn't using a BNC connector, but making the blade connect LIKE a BNC connector. Basically a mechanical quick disconnect for the blade.

It was the majority opinion that the mechanical difficulty and cost of making holders like this wouldn't really give you a huge advantage over using a set/thumb screw or even permanently mounting your blade and just unscrewing and replacing the whole emitter.

I still wouldn't mind seeing it done if only for the Cool factor.

Barmic Rin
02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Surely a 'BNC' type fit would be looser than a thumb screw? Or is that just me.
BNC's always seemed abit iffy to me....

BTW Love the design!

Ghostbat
02-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I suspect there would be some wiggle/rattle unless it was made to very exacting tolerances. It probably would not be a great choice for dueling either, but then thumb/set screws always seemed iffy to me and they seem to work fine :)

Hasid Lafre
02-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Rought up the set/thumb screw a bit and it wount be so iffy.

Ghostbat
02-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Rought up the set/thumb screw a bit and it wount be so iffy.

Right, it works well, just in my mind having one little screw holding everything together just seems wrong :)

I come from the "Bolt everything together twice then give it a layer of duct tape" school of thought.

djobitwan7
07-11-2009, 10:25 PM
OK, here is another sketch, but this time I think it's closer to what would look really nice. Even went from a whopping 16 1/2 inches to 15 inches. The crystal chamber would have to be worked in, but design wise, I think this looks good. Oh, all the lines represent where the Mace Windu pattern would go. I couldn't draw that good, so I just left it blank. Maybe someone could render it and show that pattern better.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/98/l_6b9918de723148dbbce4e15f16fb4ad8.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/112/l_865600e664fc4aaaaa3f5f6fe4df263d.jpg

DJMoonbass
07-12-2009, 10:56 PM
looks awsome! it will take some serious CNC machining. btw are you a DJ? im a techno DJ ive been makin techno trance for a couple years now and i do my school dances. PM me dude id like to chat about DJ equipment

djobitwan7
09-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Well, I wasn't exactly a DJ. A buddy of mine used to do weddings and such and I was more of a set-up person. I was naturally good at figuring out what plugs in without too much reading. So, since some of the e-mails and other things username related wouldn't give me the exact one I wanted, I decided to add the DJ portion to it.

I love all music though. Techno is amongst the only one I really free-style dance to. I even do back-hand springs and acrobatic stuff, which also coincided with my early martial arts. I'd love to learn some swordplay. All I have is hand-to-hand training and even that is limited now. Thanks for asking though. I did do fill in DJ stuff. I could do it, but I liked being out on the dance floor at the time and well.....I was in my twenties, so I danced my butt off.