PDA

View Full Version : any info on this hasbro's board?

Darth_DevilGuy
01-08-2008, 12:37 PM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ETQR5O?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=dealtime-toys-20&linkCode=asn

these Vader ones on amazon go for 28-25 bucks, I'm wondering if anyone here has checked them out? I'd like to get a handle on features before I buy.

savyas
01-08-2008, 02:33 PM
I picked one up at Target for $20. It has powerup and down sounds, an idle hum, and a swinging sound (only one, that is very sensitive and annoying). It also has a single clash sound that is actually quite difficult to activate. I've yet to yank the board out of this one though, so I can't give you any details on the board itself.

Darth_DevilGuy
01-08-2008, 05:03 PM
ooh, I have to get this one, it has all the features I want for my MHS and none of the ones I don't, I'll have to hit up target after work.

edit: do you know off the top of your head what batteries it takes? I'll dig around

Ghostbat
01-08-2008, 05:21 PM
I grabbed one from target as well. The power up down and idle are OK, probably more "crunchy" than many people would like but not bad. with a resonance chamber that would be pretty workable. The swing is painfully obnoxious and as mentioned is weirdly sensitive, at some angles it just repeats while being held still. Clash is not a great sound and seems under sensitive.

If I use the board I will disable motion and clash.

strengthofrage
01-08-2008, 08:58 PM
These are definitely at Target for $20, I picked one up a couple weeks ago and gutted it. I haven't used it yet. Save yourself some time and money and skip Amazon, Target and Walmart both carry these.

DarthFender
01-09-2008, 08:02 AM
ooh, I have to get this one, it has all the features I want for my MHS and none of the ones I don't

That depends on whether you want or don't want the Flash on clash feature. Its not too bad on these. Lux does blink off during the clash sound. Either a single or double blink.

It is a PITA to get those boards out of the toy sabers without destroying the saber. (I bought mine for the sound board, so that really didn't bother me.)

I have bought a few of these models and they all have the same board in them. They all have different wire color code (even for the same model). You can get rid of the annoying flash on clash by using one of the luxeon drivers sold at the store (when they are back in stock). There used to be a pretty good diagram for that.

Darth_DevilGuy
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm interested because it has motion without the FoC having the saber fliker would annoy me.

Ghostbat
01-10-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm interested because it has motion without the FoC having the saber fliker would annoy me.

The motion was the most disappointing part for me, it's short, repetitive, cut off slightly, seems to fire with little or no relation to how the saber is actually being moved (even less than normal), and when the saber is held in some positions just fires over and over and over until you move it.

Admittedly this could be the fault of the switch in my particular unit? I only have a sample of one to go on so it's possible yours may have a better sound, if it does please let us know so I can go grab another one for the board and give this one to my nephew :)

Darth_DevilGuy
01-10-2008, 10:52 AM
probably the sensor they used, anyone have one they like that's sold currently?

strengthofrage
01-10-2008, 11:12 AM
I finally wired this board up to the speaker and speaker mount from the shop, I used a 1.5 inch piece of 1.25' pvc sink tube for a resonance chamber. I put it in the end of a MHS hilt piece and turned it on. Insanely loud. The motion sensor is very sensative, the clash is either single or double and sounds kind of shortened. Extend/retract is nice and crisp sounding but the transition sucks. Truth be told I like the sound of the ROTS Obi-Wan better but this will have to do. Not being picky right now while there are so little sound options out there.

Overall...

Volume - great
Extend/retract - great
Clash - too short but two seperate clashes
Motion - very sensative, on the verge of too sensative
Idle hum - Good

Darth_DevilGuy
01-10-2008, 11:51 AM
ok I think I'll have to get one of these. I'll have to do some serious research on how to set up a resonance chamber.

DarthFender
01-10-2008, 12:01 PM
probably the sensor they used, anyone have one they like that's sold currently?

I got a couple of those. It works with a bb in a cylinder. When the bb rolls over a certain point it makes contact for the switch. Yes, there are positions where the bb is continuously making contact, so the sound just repeats until you move the saber. That is just that nature if that kind ob beast. I was thinking of making a sensor kinda like the clash sensor but with a weaker spring that I could use for a swing sensor. I'll let you know how it turns out of I ever do it. They are still using the same type of swing sensor, I think. Sux, but better than a mute saber.

DarthFender
01-10-2008, 12:07 PM
ok I think I'll have to get one of these. I'll have to do some serious research on how to set up a resonance chamber.

Sorry about the double post. For a resonance chamber I just use a piece of 1" ID PVC tube. I cut it to a bout 2" in length, then the speaker goes on the back end abd the board can get gently glued into the pvc tube. Its about twice as loud as the same board and speaker in the Vader model.

strengthofrage
01-10-2008, 12:29 PM
1 1/4 inch pvc sink tube slides nicely into the MHS parts, The speaker mount in the shop is also made to fit over this size tube. It works very well. The MHS pommel gives you 1 inch in front of the speaker, using the pvc as mentioned before at a lenght of 1.5 - 2 inches works really well. It depends on the sound you are looking for too. Different resonance will give different results. Also, in the bottom of the MHS hilt itself it works really well putting some sound holes in there. An 8/32 drill bit and then a deburing (not sure if thats the right name for it) bit makes a nice clean sound hole. When I get home I will post a pic of the sound holes on my last MHS.