PDA

View Full Version : blade holder style 3 how to place a screw question

sekrogue1985
01-07-2008, 10:12 AM
hi i have a blade holder style 3 form TCSS what i want to know how would i go about placing a screw for my retaining bolt with in the groove area. I have an idea of how to go about it but i would like some feed back on the best way possible.

Hope ya all can help.

Hasid Lafre
01-07-2008, 10:13 AM
A screw in the groove would be tough. I think a screw on the ring would be easyer to do.

You want the screw to be in the middel or forward of the middel point.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
01-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Sorry to contradict you Hasid, but I found that it wass easier to drill in a groove. If you try to drill on top of one of the high fins, your drill bit will tend to wander into the groove.

If you tap it carefully, you can even have some threads in the sides of the fins themselves. Use a drill press if you have one, or of you don't, clamp it in a vice and try to keep the drill as straight as possible.

Here's a picture of mine if that helps:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1236148/mhs1m2_1.jpg

Hasid Lafre
01-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Ah I see. I dident know how far apart the grooves were and how wide the fins were. One thing, if you center punch before you drill it should keep your bit from walking.

sekrogue1985
01-07-2008, 11:18 AM
okay so do it not inside the groove but on the yeah not sure what to call it. that's what i was thinking of doing. oh and i was meaning in the general area not in the actual groove.

thanks

New MHS parts are ordered and i hope to show my new MHS saber 2.0.

style 5 blade holder and new LEDs woots

I love TCSS

Hasid Lafre
01-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Yep this place is awsome. Remember post lots of pics of new saber.

xwingband
01-07-2008, 11:38 AM
YES, inside! 10-32's grab the wall fine.

Another tip is a center punch. While you aren't getting a center to off of, even just the little indent helps to avoid the wandering drill bit.

Darth_DevilGuy
01-07-2008, 12:22 PM
if you use a punch you can avoid the wandering problems, get a nail or an aul (sp?) and tap a little dent where you want to drill, it doesn't have to be big, just a little indentation for the bit to bite into. other than that just make sure the drill is as strait as possible and the piece is tightly secured.

B5813
01-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Not to beat this simple thread to death but x-wing is correct. Start the drill/tap in between two of the grooves. You could center punch for a bite surface directly on one of the "fins" but your drilling would have to be absolutely perpendicular to the blade holder and doing a 10/32 hole you'd remove all of the "fin" anyway. When you go in between two fins you will still have some of both of them(on the sides) remaining to give your thumb screw extra surface to screw in against.

Kamurah
01-20-2008, 02:37 AM
get a nail or an aul (sp?) and tap a little dent where you want to drill....

AWL...

Just an FYI.... Good info in this thread. :)

DarthFender
01-20-2008, 10:08 AM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1236148/mhs1m2_1.jpg

Obi-Dar,

Is that a camera lens and zoom? That's really cool!

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
01-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah. They're off an old 8mm movie camera. The focusing ring was exactly the right size to fit over the blade holder, and the zoom ring fit nicely over that. I drilled three holes in the ring and drove the screws into the last groove in the blade holder to hold it on.

I took the tab off, and covered the numbers with a strip of aluminum duct tape. I really like the way it turned out. Definitely one of a kind!

DarthFender
01-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah, man! Like I sad before that's really cool. You can use all kinds of camera parts for lightsabers, not just Flash tubes. That's very ingenuous. That's why I like to browse the Galleries form time to time. You get to see some really great ideas.