PDA

View Full Version : Power Extender?

Luke-SkyMarcher
01-06-2008, 05:09 PM
I've been working on my new saber, and apparently to get everything just the way I want it, I'll need five power extenders! Thing is, I'm very nearly out of space as it is, (and I'd also rather not pay intercontinental shipping) so I was curious if there was a power extender alternative; something which does the same thing that I can make out of parts from Radio shack... otherwise the LED bargraph is very dim, and the "clash flash" will not work.

-Luke

xwingband
01-06-2008, 05:25 PM
FIVE?!?! First what are you trying to light? If we know what you are trying to light it would help, you may be thinking of something wrong.

Luke-SkyMarcher
01-06-2008, 05:46 PM
First of all, the clash flash: two white LED's in parallel: 3.6v 20mA each, plus a motor of unknown power requirements. That's one
The other four: The LED bargraph. 5v 30mA each. They're very dim. They were the blue LED's with the smallest power requirements I could find.

Novastar
01-08-2008, 06:10 AM
The clash flash can be hooked up to a certain lead on v3 I believe... you'll have to check with Erv and usage of the power extender there...

As to the others...

* Motor can go "in-line" with the main LED in a certain fashion if you like...
* The indicator LEDs can go to their corresponding places on the board... (LED 0-4)

_Each individual LED should have a resistor_. The motor should have its own resistor as well. If your LEDs were dim, you probably did not calculate the values correctly and/or did not base the values on Erv's data for the leads.

Check Erv's PDF for more information... I was able to wire in a motor and three indicator LEDs on my first attempt... and all were dandy fine (Flange III darkside). Flange III lightside has four indicator LEDs but no motor... but only because I was out of ROOM! :)

Bottom line... I *seriously* doubt you need any more than 1 power extender.

Luke-SkyMarcher
01-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Yes, I don't have any problem getting power to the right places, just not enough power. What I'm saying is the bar graph is dim because I used rather high voltage LED's. I suppose I could look online for some that would light up better with the power on hand.
As for the motor, I'm actually using two motors from an old CD player. One will be hooked up to the main LED, the other to clash flash, so as to create some extra vibration on clash (nothing nearly so much as the obi hasbro, though, lol) So in any case I'll probably just use one power extender, for the clash flash.

-Luke