PDA

View Full Version : New switch question

GrimaOllak
02-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Hey Tim, I saw you got your new switches in, but I saw something that I couldn't figure out...

Which switch is which (wow, try saying that 5 times fast...)? What's the difference between the SPST's and the SPDT's (other than a price jump)?

Also, these new momentaries are "on-off" switches, right? Meaning, you don't have to hold them down, you just have to hit it once for on and once for off?

Strydur
02-07-2006, 08:48 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">What's the difference between the SPST's and the SPDT's <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

SPST = single pole single throw... a regular momentary switch

SPDT = single pull double throw... 1 input 2 outputs, you could push it down half way to trigger 1 circuit or all the way to trigger both.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">these new momentaries are "on-off" switches, right? Meaning, you don't have to hold them down, you just have to hit it once for on and once for off?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That completely depends on the circuit you are switching. If you are using it to turn on say a hasbro sound and corbins driver then yes you just push it to turn on and push it to turn off but thats because those items are setup this way. If you where to use it in a basic led or el wiring setup then the blade would only light up while you where holding down the switch.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Darth Frieds
02-07-2006, 09:51 AM
so, if you wanted one switch to activate both corbins driver and the hasbro sound board, you would use the SPDT? or does that work for both of them and the SPDT gives you a choice of either activating the hasbro or corbin driver? i hope you can understand my question because i don't think i even can LOL.

I have surrendured to the ways of the darkside. Fear is my ally

GrimaOllak
02-07-2006, 10:17 AM
To add to the confusion, let me pose another question. [:D]

Let's say I'm not using Corbin's driver, but I'm using a Hasbro board and an LED (just like in the diagram I sent you). I'd only need a SPST for that, and I wouldn't need to hold it down due to the circuitry of the Hasbro board. Is that correct?

Wow, this suddenly got really befuddling...

xwingband
02-07-2006, 10:58 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by GrimaOllak

To add to the confusion, let me pose another question. [:D]

Let's say I'm not using Corbin's driver, but I'm using a Hasbro board and an LED (just like in the diagram I sent you). I'd only need a SPST for that, and I wouldn't need to hold it down due to the circuitry of the Hasbro board. Is that correct?

Wow, this suddenly got really befuddling...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yup, hasbro only needs that momentary tap to activate it. Even with the one included on the board holding the button down doesn't make it do anything different. The new SPST would just replace the Harbro one that is meant to be mounted in the toy with a seperate button on top.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

xwingband
02-07-2006, 11:01 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Darth Frieds

so, if you wanted one switch to activate both corbins driver and the hasbro sound board, you would use the SPDT? or does that work for both of them and the SPDT gives you a choice of either activating the hasbro or corbin driver? i hope you can understand my question because i don't think i even can LOL.

I have surrendured to the ways of the darkside. Fear is my ally

It would activate both. It's just a fluke of the way the switch actually works that you can get one and not the other by pushing it halfway (sort of like most cameras now).

BTW correct me if I get it wrong Strydur.[:)]

GrimaOllak
02-07-2006, 11:21 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The new SPST would just replace the Harbro one that is meant to be mounted in the toy with a seperate button on top.

So basically alls I need to do is snip the wires of the existing momentary on the hasbro and connect one of Tim's SPST's in its place, and I'm set, right?

BTW, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer these n00b-ish questions of mine. *bows*

xwingband
02-07-2006, 12:30 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by GrimaOllak

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The new SPST would just replace the Harbro one that is meant to be mounted in the toy with a seperate button on top.

So basically alls I need to do is snip the wires of the existing momentary on the hasbro and connect one of Tim's SPST's in its place, and I'm set, right?

BTW, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer these n00b-ish questions of mine. *bows*

YUP[:D]

Strydur
02-07-2006, 01:54 PM
It looks like you guys have it correct so far.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Tenric Starkindler
02-08-2006, 09:49 PM
http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2160417t98.jpghttp://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2160419t98.jpg

I may be mis-reading the above, but these momentary switches are small, snug fitting, inexpensive, and work well. I used one on the saber I built my brother. From Radio Shack

Reality often interferes with what would otherwise be an idyllic delusion.

xwingband
02-08-2006, 10:05 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Tenric Starkindler

I may be mis-reading the above, but these momentary switches are small, snug fitting, inexpensive, and work well. I used one on the saber I built my brother. From Radio Shack

Reality often interferes with what would otherwise be an idyllic delusion.

Also no longer needed now that Tim stocks some momentary switches...[:p]