PDA

View Full Version : MR FX auto shutoff

Montagar
01-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Hi all...

I did a search but didn't come up with anything so maybe someone can help me out.

Has anyone come up with a way to bypass the MR FX auto power down? I have been looking over a Vader ESB FX circuit board and haven't been able to come up with anything that will keep it from powering down after 2 minutes of no movement.

Thanks

vortextwist
01-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I think it's in the programing of the board,

Montagar
01-05-2008, 07:18 PM
I think it's in the programing of the board,
Yep, but I was trying to come up with a way to make the chip "think" that motion is taking place. Unfortunately you can't just short any of the sensors because the processor needs "chatter" (on/off) from them to keep the auto off from happening.

Novastar
01-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Question to Montagar: WHY? :)

Lord Maul
01-05-2008, 09:36 PM
A similar thread to this was posted on FX Sabers. You really can't bypass the auto shut off feature.

Nova - Some people would like to display their sabers as like wall ornaments, and literally plug them into a power outlit via a custom made adapter.

Montagar
01-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Nova - Some people would like to display their sabers as like wall ornaments, and literally plug them into a power outlit via a custom made adapter.
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! :D

strengthofrage
01-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Makes sense for the display idea but I like the auto off for basic saber use. Even Hasbro boards have it.

Novastar
01-08-2008, 05:48 AM
This is why I asked instead of assumed.

Marsupial
01-08-2008, 09:07 AM
I have a simple way...

convert the saber to luxeon with a resistor setup and a socket that connects to a wall wart.

this way, you don't have any poweroff options.

Problem is the energy used, heat to dissipate, etc.

I myself will do one like that, but with electroluminescant cables instead. I think its most appropriate for "stay on" display.

in fact, all I currently need to be done is the actual EL cable, I have the genuine graflex, socket, tube, etc...

Ghostbat
01-08-2008, 10:15 AM
If you were to bridge the motion senser with a small circuit using a 555 timer or similar chip (I think I would be tempted to use a pic chip and just code the problem away but there is probably a more elegant solution) to open the switch every minute and a half or so you could keep it running. Finding space for this new circuit might be tricky though.

My electronics skills are pretty rudimentary so without reference books the best description I can give is "a chip controlling a transistor bypassing the switch" :)

Ghostbat
01-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Oh, as a note, the noise from this will almost certainly drive anyone in the room completely mad... also I'm not sure what the llifespan of an MR board would be if run constantly... I think I have to agree that the effort involved would better go to a LUX or EL solution without sound for a permanent display.

Luar Selbor
01-08-2008, 04:51 PM
What! Wouldn't the humming get annoying. I know that it would drive me crazy.

Novastar
01-09-2008, 12:31 AM
The MR hum *IS* quite repetitive. Granted, so are the ones in my CF sound fonts, but... I try to make them longer length files so they don't annoy the ear. Takes a lot of work.

Anyhow--I think Mars has the right ideas in any case.

The other option is to simply go REALLY smart, and do two separate switches with the following separate circuits (each being regulated to the correct voltage after the power comes out of the wall outlet)

Circuit #1 -- MR for sound (and sure, remove the 2 minute power off with Ghostbat's general idea, or... make a rotating display! So it "twists", lol...

Circuit #2 -- Luxeon V Green, Blue, Cyan, etc. ... or Lux III Red, Red-O regulated in your favorite way (driver, puck, resistor, whatever).

This way, you can turn the sound on and off if you wish to do so... and also have the light stay on no matter what. AND... even if you do not "fix" the MR auto shut-off... who cares... the light stays on. :)

Montagar
01-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the replies...

Ghostbat, you are right on target with your thinking! My first thought was a 555 timer circuit, but it never hurts to see what other thoughts are out there.

For those that mentioned the possibility of the hum driving people crazy, I already had that taken care of with a remote on/off for the audio. Why have audio at all for a static display you may ask? Well, hearing the power up and power down audio when you turn it on and off IMHO is just too cool to pass up. :D

Anyway, I guess the best thing for me to do is make a complete schematic of the MR board. So to save myself from reinventing the wheel I will ask if anyone has every done a complete schematic of the MR board?

I know the basics of the board have already been thoroughly covered and I am familiar with them, so I am talking about a complete schematic.

Thanks

xwingband
01-19-2008, 09:26 AM
almost everything is controlled via the chip... so what's the point of a full schematic?