PDA

View Full Version : MR Mace Windu Conversion

MATRIXtjb
01-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Ok well first off I'm doing the conversion pretty much on my own due to the fact that no one has the blade holder for sale anymore. I plan to have one machined myself the only problem is I don't know what the measurements of the blade holder are. If anyone here has the Mace kit could you please post a diagram of the measurements. Second I was wondering where I would need to go to get some color discs as I'm putting a Cree white led in this thing. Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

LAN-ED-TUL
01-04-2008, 03:47 AM
you might try askin Tim if he remembers any of the specs on the holder in question.

MATRIXtjb
01-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Well i sent both an email and a PM hopefully he gets either...lol. BTW anyone here have the equipment to machine one of these parts let me know I may be interested in obtaining your services. now i just need to figure out where to get color filters as the LED im installing will be white. I would prefer the filters to be a pack of many colors i have heard the LEE filters to be the best. but where to find a small booklet of them...lol

Hasid Lafre
01-05-2008, 02:01 AM
leefilters.com or something to that effect.

xwingband
01-05-2008, 07:56 AM
I saw your post at fx-sabers and if you didn't get measurements it's for one simple reason: Tim owns that design. Whether he sells it now or not why is he just going to give something he made specifically for sale and spent time to make? I'm glad others also realize taking a set of calipers to a kit would be RUDE too and DIDN'T give you any measurements.

I've seen a couple of these requests and I don't understand why people think it's okay. E-mail Tim and if he's so gracious, he might help.

Arm on Fire
01-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Xwingband, I am one of those people that have made those requests, I have, and continue to support Tim and TCSS , buying parts and supplys when it is practical, but the simple fact is sometimes the parts you want do not exist or are not availible for what ever reason, and i dont want to wait weeks or months until they are,Who would?. I see no problem in picking up a set of calipers and sharing infomation about components.Im sure MATRIXtjb or any other member looking for specs are not trying to compete with tim, just get their saber built any way they can.

Malaki Skywalker
01-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Xwingband, I am one of those people that have made those requests, I have, and continue to support Tim and TCSS , buying parts and supplys when it is practical, but the simple fact is sometimes the parts you want do not exist or are not availible for what ever reason, and i dont want to wait weeks or months until they are,Who would?. I see no problem in picking up a set of calipers and sharing infomation about components.Im sure MATRIXtjb or any other member looking for specs are not trying to compete with tim, just get their saber built any way they can.

Well if you think of it Arm, Xwing does have a point but its not only that, but reproducing could get people in trouble an exact kit you could get done for copyright, Xwings just saying that Tim went through a lot of trouble in the first place to make these kits and sell them to us, but reproducing them can be rude, and in a way it could effect the way Tim sells them, if everybody knew how to make them, they could take money for what Tim made, its like someone asking Erv if they can have all the parts and resources
to make a CF board... you just wouldn't because its plain rudeness and you know it can effect the business

Arm on Fire
01-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Im not talking about making exact replicas and selling them or passing them off as MHS parts, im talking about making parts that are not availible but are still compatable with MHS. think of it like buying aftermarket parts for your car,computer,etc. There are Thousands of companys out there that take a product, reverse engineer it, and make it better (sometimes) or to suit another need not availible to them. I mean no disrespect, as I said , I think TCSS is the best out there and i continue to support Tim by buying his product when it fits in my designs. If you and Xwingband feel it rude, so be it, I make no apoligies for my opinions and if i have any infomation that i can share in this "DIY" community that will help another bring thier saber design to reality for them i will.
On a lighter note, isnt imitation the best form of flattery?

xwingband
01-05-2008, 11:28 AM
There is a large distiction between asking for measurements of a Mace to make a kit for oneself and measurements of the TCSS kit itself. One is informational, the other is plain out copying. If you don't understand the difference I can't make you.

EDIT: Maybe I'm just picking on semantics... if so, my apologies.

Arm on Fire, if you want an aftermarket part it probably uses standardized threads, sizes, etc... or you could look them up. Tim couldn't have a patent on MHS threads but I do think it's ballsy to ask... people have done it before and got no answer for a reason. Those that have reverse engineered the threads for profit, they're jerks.

Arm on Fire
01-05-2008, 12:34 PM
xwingband Im not trying to start a pi$$ing contest, but im a little iritated by the fact that nobody will answer a simple question for another member who isnt trying to put TCSS out of buisness only make a personal saber.Isnt taking an existing idea and expirimenting with it and changing it to suit a new need the basis for all of us creating our own sabers? we are all pretty much ripping off lucas if thats the case? I understand the point you are trying to make and there are people who might use the info for profit, but thats the nature of busisness.lets face it the MHS isnt rocket science, compitition is inevitable, patent or no patent.

The bottom line is Tim has a great product line, and exellent service, and that is what is going to keep customers coming back.

I realize that these are not the responses that MATRIXtjb was expecting but i felt it needed to be addressed.

xwingband
01-05-2008, 12:50 PM
I understand also and felt it needed to be said also. People get all peeved that they don't get an answer and wonder why. If I went by exactly what he posted I'd be taking bussiness away from Tim, because despite your indifference to competition his market is fickle... I'd bet money that if I posted a CAD drawing of the kit and someone produced it before Tim then the profitability would dry up.

If I had an open Mace saber I'd give him some measurements, but I don't have any open ones right now.

Arm on Fire
01-05-2008, 02:01 PM
With no kits availible in the store and no clear idea which kits will be made and when they will be made what choice does one have but turn to his / her peers for help?

Lord Maul
01-05-2008, 02:13 PM
What choice do you have? "Sign up" on the conversion kit waiting list. Once enough interest is there, you'll have your kits.

Arm on Fire
01-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Maul ,How long should one be made to wait? Im pretty sure if you had a design or conversion that you were ready to do it would be drive you crazy waiting for "enough interest".

Lord Maul
01-05-2008, 03:03 PM
"Brick walls are there to show us the things we really want." Randy Pausch.

I would wait as long as is needed. It took me 11 MONTHS to make my MHS. From February till July I was waiting for the Ultrasounds to be done. It did drive me crazy waiting, but it was worth it in the end. The same will be true for these conversion kits (hopefully not the 6 month wait though).

Whenever you see someone posting about needing a conversion kit for their Mace saber on another forum, link them to Tim's thread. Each email helps reach the goal.

Strydur
01-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Mace kits are in the process of being made.

Its not really rocket science here guys. Open your mace and take your own measurements and design your own kit if you want someone else to make it for you. Otherwise wait and buy them from the guy who took his time to design the kit in the first place.

By the way, If you plan on taking the design to your local machine shop I can almost guarantee you would pay 4 times as much if not way more.

Arm on Fire
01-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I have voiced my opinions on the matter enough for today , i guess we will all have to agree to disagree, thanks for the debate guys :)

Stryder posted at the same time as i was typing, so i didnt see his post.
anyway I agree about the cost of machine shop work, I manage a machine shop by day. and you will never beat Tims prices.

MATRIXtjb
01-05-2008, 04:50 PM
I understand your point xwing and due to the fact that no one can come out and say hey these will be available soon i assumed they were not being made anytime soon as i have already waited 2 months to get this conversion done it would have been done by now if alex at ultra would have sent me an email warning me that he didnt have the kit in stock that was bad costermer service i cont care how busy you are if you cant give a heads up your in the wrong. anyways i wound up getting the measurments. i altered the design as the blade holding depth was a bit shalloy i added more to the top thinner section about 1\4 inch now protrudes from the top of the emitter.

And as for me trying to make money off of this or become competition i doubt that i couldnt even open a lemonade stand let alone a shop like tims.

Living in a small city has its advantages and working with someone who works at a machine shop does too.

tullfan81
02-19-2008, 11:29 AM
what size allen wrench is needed to dissasemble the mace hilt?

DDanDevious
04-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this thread.

I would like a Mace conversion kit.

Any news with that? I am hoping to help generate interest!

DDD!