PDA

View Full Version : Yet more questions

archammer2
02-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Yes, I'm sure you're all getting sick of my questions by now. As always, I absorb everything and I greatly appriciate any and all help.

Since I've "completed" my first lightsaber, I feel compelled to make another. What can I say? It's addictive. (completed in quotes becuase I'm not 100% satisfied with it. Good for my first one, but I envisioned something more. Plus, no blood was shed, so I know several who'll say it either won't work, or it's not really completed. ;) )

I've had a little trouble with PVC pipe. I bought a length of 1.5" PVC in teh hopes that it would work with the MHS. Unfortunately (as I'm sure you all know), I can drop a 1.5" chrome pipe in a 1.5" PVC pipe and it still has room to move around. My intention was to use painted PVC as a grip. My question is, how do you ladies and gents keep the metal pipe for moving about in the PVC? I know it's been done and it's probably something pretty obvious. I know screwing sections of the PVC will work, but there are points where I want the PVC to wrap completely around the chrome pipe.

I'v had this urge to make a double-bladed saber. Except I'm picky, don't you know. I was wanting to make one solid piece, with a single switch to go to both blades. Again, I'm a rookie to wiring so feel free to tell me just how wrong I am. (EL blades, by the way)
If I connected two 9-Volts to an inverter (that's capable of handling two 9-Volts) and wired two seperate Mono jacks to the wires comming off the inverter and the switch in the usual place, would that work? Is there another (better) way to do it?

Also, along those line, is there an easy way to connect two pieces of pipe together? I was wanting to connect two 12" chrome sink tubes together (mostly becuase I have big hands. :P )

Last quetion. I've been playing with my Dremel (and trying to avoid cuting off any limbs) And I was wondering if there was a way to engrave onto the metal... Actually, is there a way I can etch the metal, but be reasonably percise? As in, a particular substance with which I can coat parts of the metal and later wash off, leaving an etched look on it? The reason I ask is... I was wanting to etch/engrave my name into my hilt (or onto my next hilt, rather), but my hands are pretty shakey. And, I was wanting to write it in Aurabesh, which would require a stedier hand than those I currently possess.

And that about does it for this round of questioning... Again, thanks for the help, folks!

As an aside, I showed off my saber to a couple friends... and they're now saving up the cash to buy kits for tehmselves. :)

BenReilly
02-06-2006, 03:42 PM
For the engraving...have you thought about taking it somewhere that engraves jewelry or is that to small??? if so i'm sure there are some etching materials...

archammer2
02-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Eh, you've got a point. They could probably do it. (Though, I hate to admit it, but I'm still a bit embarassed to tell people I'm working on lightsabers.)

GrimaOllak
02-06-2006, 04:03 PM
For the PVC conundrum, let me make a suggestion. Get 1.25" 160psi PVC. I know, it sounds like it's too small, but I assure you, it isn't, and it fits the 1.5" sink tubes like a glove. Perfect fit. But be absolutely certain it's 160psi. Oh, and it's cheap, too. I got about 2' for about $0.45 at Home Depot [:D]

xwingband
02-06-2006, 04:30 PM
There are engraving bits for dremels but it's best left to a professional if it's anything complex. Jewelers are a good bet and if you want really over the top stuff intrument engravers are great.

http://www.dumarsengraving.com/callet/full_right_good.JPG

^^^is an exapmle of amazing engraving (no it's not mine... I could only dream of affording that[:p])

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

BenReilly
02-06-2006, 04:43 PM
that would look kick ass on a saber..

Just carry them the sink tube and tell them you wan't the cabinet under your sink to be presentable b/c your selling your house and everything has to corresponde to the wallpaper.

scaarmor
02-06-2006, 05:28 PM
NO FREAKIN BLOOD! WHAT ARE YOU THINKIN!!![:D]Just messing with you. Tim sells a double saber adapter that attaches two pipes together. For one switch you could run a DPDT switch. And it looks like others already addressed your other questions, I just had to chime in when I heard no blood...You must be doing something wrong.[:D][:D][:D]

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

archammer2
02-06-2006, 06:41 PM
GrimaOllak: I'll look for some tomorrow, thanks! I tried the 1.25" PVC at Lowe's, but it was too small. :P

xwingband: ... Holy snarf, that's awesome... Okay. It'll be worth it to get five aurabesh letters engraved in my hilt. Though, that's the final final step. >_<

BenReilly: Oddly enough, I'm fine with admitting I buy toys for myself... @#$^ it. I'm making a lightsaber and I'm proud!

scaarmor: I KNEW IT! I put that in there just because I knew you'd comment. ;) Was thinking of getting the double-saber adapter, actually. Though, I'm wanting to use it to make... well... Like a hand-and-a-half sword. :P Though, that should work nicely.

Well, if it makes you feel better, I spilled blood on my laptop when logging on to uplaod pictures. Close enough? ;P

OH!! One more question!!

I read a while back that with EL sabers, you shouldn't turn it on without the blade in (Or, like, the world will explode). I guess... what will happen? And do you mean turn it on and leave it on, or turn it on for an instant? I's kinda annoying to take out the battery each time I take out the blade. :P

scaarmor
02-07-2006, 03:11 AM
Ok, a little blood was spilt, I feel better. But next time make sure to fling a little of it at the saber, then you KNOW it will go off without a hitch[:D]!

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

LAN-ED-TUL
02-07-2006, 07:36 AM
i get wierd looks from people too when i tell them i build sabers and im huntin round for parts. then when i bring it in and show them the end results. they change their tune. they cant beleive its handmade. they think i bought it from a place. lol just do your thing and dont worry bout the looks you get.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Pirate King
02-07-2006, 08:29 AM
...you can't spill blood with a lightsaber...

{[[[(((o))EE[/==============

xwingband
02-07-2006, 09:04 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Pirate King

...you can't spill blood with a lightsaber...

{[[[(((o))EE[/==============
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

lol, welcome. Scaarmor believes anything built needs a little blood spilt in the process otherwise it wasn't done right.[:D]

Archammer2, I believe Tim has said the inverters he sell don't need it, but just to be safe put the resistor after the inverter and there will be no probles with potentially ruining the inverter. It used to be that people used what inverter they could from the company that sold them the EL and... well, they sucked, you turn the saber on without a blade and the inverter would fry.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Strydur
02-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Thats true..I have yet to fry one of my inverters or have anyone say they fried thiers.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

archammer2
02-07-2006, 10:14 AM
scaarmor: Then I've got to stop building them at my parent's place. Blood-letting over a project wouldn't go over too well. ;P

Pirate King: Not with the blade, no. I bash my opponenets with the pommel if I wanna spill some blood.

X-Wing & Tim:
Oh, good. I thought I read a thread somewhere where people were complaining about the extra resistor in there. ... Still, my heart about jumped out of my chest when my boss picked up my hilt and flicked it on... no blade...

virus692
02-07-2006, 03:55 PM
I Have I thought for engraving-- Think about acid etching instead.
with acid if you can draw it you can etch it... and acid rules.. [B)]
just wear gloves and safty gear..[}:)]

VIrus 692-
Life Liberty and the prusuit of insainaity

scaarmor
02-07-2006, 04:36 PM
I read a technique in a blade smithing book of mine for acid etching. It went something like this- Coat the item in a layer or two of wax. Then use a needle or other implament to scratch/remove the wax in the design you want, i.e.-draw in design or lettering down to the metal you want etched. Then (using gloves) simply apply a small amount of the acid to the area. The acid will etch the exposed metal while leaving the rest untouched, leaving your design behind when you remove the remainder of the wax.

Cain

archammer2
02-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Th acid etching sounds like what I was asking about at first. (Sorry, we used something like that when I was in junior high... and I couldn't remember what it was called for the life of me.)

Depends on how expensive it is. ... Though, considering I'm starting a stockpile of metal pipes, I might as well give it a shot! Thanks, much, guys!

I'll have to hit up Hobby Lobby and see what I can find...

Tenric Starkindler
02-07-2006, 09:31 PM
for the saber I built my brother I used pop rivits to hold the PVC on the pipe. The fit is snug and 1 or 2 rivits placed appropriately and perhaps painted the same color as the grip would do nicely and be all but invisible....plan to do the same thing with a future saber.

Reality often interferes with what would otherwise be an idyllic delusion.