PDA

View Full Version : Any "bicolor" luxeons out there?

Marsupial
12-31-2007, 09:50 AM
I know there are some tricolor leds out there, namely the rebel RGB ones, but I am trying to get a 2-color LED (Red and White) for a simplistic application: being able to switch from red to white color output with only 1 switch.

These type leds could also be used to add effects...

I think there was some 3-led-in-a-single-die with 2 colors, but can't currently find anything, so I guess the LED gurus here could help out.

is there any high-power 2-color LED available out there?

thanks.

xwingband
12-31-2007, 10:09 AM
So a single die RGB would be fine? There are the Pro-lights and I believe Lamina makes one too in addition to a bunch of smaller companies. Not too impressive in the "high power" aspect as they are 1W'ers, but they're pretty easy to work with and the other options are even less favorable.

Marsupial
12-31-2007, 01:02 PM
if I can't get better, I'll go RGB... as long as I can get a true white. (I need white and red)

On another hand, I believe I saw some of those "rgb" in 2 color setup - sorta RRW (red, red, white) a long while ago, when RGB starts started.

if I can get my hand on those, I'd be very happy... otherwise, I'd like to know what RGB led can give a real white.

xwingband
12-31-2007, 01:17 PM
RGB would give white by turning tham all on. R+G+B in light equals White. It'd be brighter than the single Red so it might be funky though.

Marsupial
01-01-2008, 01:19 AM
I understand that if you mix an equal ammount of green / red / blue you get a nice white light.

What I am uncertain is

1- can you get a similar ammount of all RGB without hassle in the led or will the "white" be somewhat colorish in most case?

2- similarly, is the red really red, is the green really green and is the blue really blue in order to manage a real white or are the wavelenghts wrong and biased into a colorish white?

3- Is is possible to drive all 3 colors with a single pwm driver or are we stuck to get 2-3 separate drivers with them?

the 4th one you already mentionned, even if its a lesser problem: the tricolor one will be brighter then the monocolor one :(

you see where I'm going about the RGB led? that's why I'm trying to get a bicolor one, if possible.
I'll go RGB only if I have to.

Thanks for the tips :)

Lord Maul
01-01-2008, 01:31 AM
Can't you get tri rebels with customized colors? Like one red, and two white for example? If you can, why not just wire it so that the red comes on, and then when you hit the button, one of the two white LEDs comes on. Each Rebel is plenty bright on its own.

Marsupial
01-01-2008, 11:30 AM
That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out.

that would be perfect - might it be a rebel or any other 3-led-in-a-die setup, if I can have something different then RGB as mentionned by maul, it would be perfect.

Dregan
01-02-2008, 08:00 AM
To follow what Maul said, supposedly we'll eventualy be able to custom order Rebels with whatever color combo we'd need.

I've not seen a store be able to do that yet tho. You could try emailing Stryder and see if he can order a one-off for you. Probably be a little spendy, but it'd be exactly what you want.

Marsupial
01-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Is there a way to use a single driver and flick from one color to the other?

I mean, can we redirect the PWM output from let say the white to the red part of the multicolout LED without damaging the PWM LED driver?

if anyone tried something similar, please let me know.

Lord Maul
01-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Couldn't you have two switches? What I'm saying, is that have one switch for the main power, and another for the LED. You would use a DPDT switch, and have it wired so that when it is in position A, one LED is on. When put into position B, the other LED is on.

Here's a crude drawing of what I'm talking about for the switch wiring.

Positive = +
Negative = -
Empty = O

+ - O
O - +

Marsupial
01-08-2008, 10:52 PM
that's what I had in mind, using a switch to pass the PWM to one or the other led... but I wondered if anyone have experience in that.

Lord Maul
01-08-2008, 11:01 PM
I don't know of anyone who has done it, but the concept is pretty simple, so it should work.

Anavrin
08-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Can't you get tri rebels with customized colors? Like one red, and two white for example? If you can, why not just wire it so that the red comes on, and then when you hit the button, one of the two white LEDs comes on. Each Rebel is plenty bright on its own.

The RGB Rebel Star seems to have three hookups, rather than running them all in serial. I'd guess this means each can have it's own resistor to alter the color balance amongst the three emitters. I also figure you /could/ just run two red and one white (given their disproportionate strength) and simply attach them to two separate switches... or perhaps run a two-way in serial with an basic on-off switch allowing smooth, on-the-go changes.

Seems like a heckuva lotta work, though. And twitchy, if you don't build it farking near perfect.