PDA

View Full Version : Glues

xwingband
12-29-2007, 07:04 PM
I figure this is a good topic to talk about now. It's basic and taken for granted.

Before I went home I ran out of my favorite Weld-on #16 and was forced to look for an alternative locally. Here's a sum up of what I find good:

Weld-On #3- this is a liquid and works well. It makes a good clear joint but as a thin liquid is a pain in the arse to apply if you aren't the delicate type. I find it best to take a natural haired brush (colored will stain) and fill it until it's ready to drip. When I touch it to the shoulder it flows off and around. Push it on and then apply to the outside seam. The capillary action causes it to cover the joints extremely well.

Weld-On #16- This one is a cement. It is much more idiot proof compared to #3. Run a bead along the shoulder and it will get squished and cover the joint well.

Poly-Zap- Cousin to Zap-a-gap super glue. It said meant for lexan (brand name for a polycarbonate) for I gave it a whirl as I couldn't find #16. It worked better than I expected. Normal Zap crazes (fogs it due to the vapors that come off it) plastics. This crazed the joint but not outside so it really doesn't matter. It's liquid but doesn't flow so applying was easy. I'd use it if I needed a quick fix as like normal Zap it worked FAST.

Feel free to add. My criteria are whether it crazes and ease of application. Thus #16 is my prefered and I stay far away from "superglues" before I test whether they craze.

Hasid Lafre
01-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Sticks on contact, Can be found in most stores, comes in a black and purple package.

Dosent exactly stick on contact ya got to hold it in place for a couple min but after it hardens its gonna take some really good hard hits to get the tip to come off.

This stuff works on plastics, metals, woods and other things.