PDA

View Full Version : need a sound system for a saber

Orpheus
12-26-2007, 07:26 PM
i'm starting on my first saber and i need a sound system i've heard of ones made by hasbro, MR, and the ultrasounds but i'm not sure which one is the best

any suggestions or personnal preferences?

Lord Maul
12-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Crystal focus is the best. Ultrasound is second best. MR is third. Hasbro is dead last.

I'd go with CF myself.

For more information regarding each sound card, try some searches ;)

vortextwist
12-26-2007, 07:46 PM
mr's are prolly the most redily available since you can just gut an mr for it. the ultra sound, your prolly not gonna get one unless you happen to buy a saber with one, there's none left and don't know if there's a 2nd run of them. The Crystal Focus is the Ferrari of SB's. here's the website for plecter labs.
http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/index.php?PHPSESSID=ba12449e5fab87f6ea2f8814b8805f 46

Darth Morbius
12-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Definitely look into the Crystal Focus (Affectionately known as the "Buttered Toast").

Erv has made history with this board, and I wouldn't want anything else in a saber if I could help it! :cool:

Ultrasound is a good bet too if you're looking to save a little cashola. However, they are about as easy to come by as a mint in mint box Millennium Falcon circa 1977 at the moment.

Just so you know, there is DEFINITE talk of another V1.0 (1.1, 1.2???) Release of the Ultrasound, and V2.0 is under development, with a possible evaluation prototype by Mid January *Keeps fingers crossed*

MR sound is good if you want to go with a Low Buck solution until you can upgrade.

Personally, I avoid Hasbro if I can scrape by without it. I just don't care for the quality of sound, and lack of stability they offer.

Darth_DevilGuy
01-02-2008, 05:29 PM
so does anyone know a good source of sound for a newbie's saber that doesn't require canibalizing an MR saber, if I could find a busted one I'd use it but a pristine one I'm never going to destroy if only because it will inevitably be worth a lot of money.

so where can I get a board then? I keep hearing Hasbro boards, do they still sell something with them? if that's the case then I'd go with that as a stopgap, wouldn't be more than 20 bucks I'd think.

Ghostbat
01-02-2008, 05:37 PM
so does anyone know a good source of sound for a newbie's saber that doesn't require canibalizing an MR saber, if I could find a busted one I'd use it but a pristine one I'm never going to destroy if only because it will inevitably be worth a lot of money.

so where can I get a board then? I keep hearing Hasbro boards, do they still sell something with them? if that's the case then I'd go with that as a stopgap, wouldn't be more than 20 bucks I'd think.

The Hasbro boards are still in circulation, any Target, Toys-R-Us or other big toy seller will probably have them around $20. The sound is not terribly impressive but is better than nothing (my opinion on that is debatable, many people seem to prefer nothing to a Hasbro :) )

If you are worried about destroying a collectible then MR has accommodated you by making their construction kit saber which as a toy/model/collectors piece is a hunk of junk, but has a useful sound board in it that has the added bonus of a selectable light side / dark side sound. I have bought four so far to tear down to their sound board, most Radio Shacks have them on sale at 30% off.

Darth_DevilGuy
01-03-2008, 02:45 AM
I actually have one of those, its my current dueling blade, maybe I'll hunt around for another to tear down.

sekrogue1985
01-05-2008, 11:51 PM
crystal focus cores are the best but you'll have to wait for erv to get them made but they do fast. however he is trying to find a company that can make a lot so that we can all have sound for our sabers though. final note only resort to hasbro boards as a last resort cause they aren't really worth it lol.

Count Malik
01-18-2008, 11:36 PM
I would go for MR sb but can not find a broken one, my dream is to have a ultra sound or CF 3.0 but I havent heard any updates on any of them. Next week I order parts for my new saber. Would like to find a sound card for it.

vortextwist
01-19-2008, 08:08 AM
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?p=73837#post73837

towards the bottom