PDA

View Full Version : glass shroud for an MHS saber

alpine
12-26-2007, 05:41 PM
is it possible with the right glass to make a full body shroud for an MHS saber?

here is the saber in question to get a full hilt shroud.....
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r178/alpine7856/lightsabers/DSC01024.jpg

Lord Maul
12-26-2007, 05:53 PM
That would be delicate as hell, if you drop the saber or smack it on a table too hard the glass would shatter.

You could do something like with Xwing's clear saber. Take a large ID tube of PolyC, and use that as the full body shroud. It wouldn't ever break that way.

My 2 cents

alpine
12-26-2007, 06:08 PM
intresting idea maul, just for further reference the grooves at the pommel end are going to have light coming out so the shroud is more of a housing idea, but i dont know if ill actually go through with the idea. that doesnt mean i dont want input if i get enough input ill do it and make a cool MHS based saber.

vortextwist
12-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Is the shroud goin to diffuse some of the light comeing out of the grooves? You may try to find some clear or semi clear o-rings. Interesting idea but not sure if you want more weight there. It could be visually distracting. just my opinion. It's actually lookin pretty nice, maybe some kind of gripage in combination with some weathering.

alpine
12-26-2007, 10:43 PM
this design is more as a design/display piece rather than a dueling saber, but please keep the input coming

Ghostbat
12-27-2007, 09:46 AM
If you weren't going to be swinging this around a glass shroud would look very interesting, but I wouldn't want it in my hand for dueling or even playing around with.

Plastic never really has the clarity and look of glass and will scuff up very easily but would be a much better choice for a more active hilt. Just have the polishes on hand to keep it looking nice (or embrace entropy and the natural aging of a well used device).

I would be very curious to know where you would get glass tubing and how you would go about cutting and shaping it. Glass is something I tend to shy away from so I don't know a lot about it as a material.