PDA

View Full Version : 9W questions for the sabersmith gurus

Ari-Jaq Xulden
12-10-2007, 05:02 PM
I recently bought a MR saber construction set, gutted it and made an rgb saber with pots using the MR board, prolight rbg, and mhs components. This board has a similar dimmer driver to corbins board and sound and supports a three watt lux. Also I once found, and can no longer locate a thread in witch someone tied a vader MR board to corbins driver using a fig. 8 electrical path in order to use both boards on one clash sensor.

My questions are posed to all and any gurus for input. What I want to know is can the construction set board and corbins board be tied together using one sensor in order to drive one of aces tri-luxes?. using corbins board for the blue and green and the MR board for the red and sound. If this would work stable, on 7.2 or 9.6 volts with a voltage diverted for each board, whats pots would work? and would the lock up button still be an option?,

Ghostbat
12-10-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm still unpacking my stuff so I can play with mine... so frustrating to have all my parts and not to be able to fiddle! I have two of the construction set boards just itching to get to work.

There's not much power coming off the construction set board so I'm not sure how that will effect it... possibly not at all...

I'm driving my LED off a buckpuck until I get a driver board, but even then I'll have it as separate of the sound as I can. Things get odd when you try to power a component from two sources at once and I'm not nearly clever enough to know why, just enough to have blown up more than a few circuitbending projects that way :)

Hasid Lafre
12-11-2007, 04:45 AM
you need 2 clash sensors.

Ari-Jaq Xulden
12-11-2007, 12:00 PM
why cant you run two sets of wires to the same sensor so that it would operate on both cards at the same time? is there a drawback to doing so?

xwingband
12-11-2007, 12:41 PM
why cant you run two sets of wires to the same sensor so that it would operate on both cards at the same time? is there a drawback to doing so?

hmmm... I remember what you are talking about. He didn't splice the wires but took them right off the PCB.

It's somewhere... you didn't imagine it at least.

The issue is that the MR board like vader's run the sensor with the blade. Power through it is bad mojo and fries stuff.

Hasid Lafre
12-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Corbintold me that the mr board dosentlike the conflicting voltage signals that the clash on the corbin driver would be sending thru the eletrical system.

Ari-Jaq Xulden
12-11-2007, 03:54 PM
how much voltage is sent through through the clash from corbins board? all of it or is it resisted on the board for lower voltage? if I use a 7.2v 900 mah setup w/ 3.6 to each board, if corbins driver clash is regulated down I would feel confident in trying knowing the Mr board can handle at least 5v . although would 3.6 v drive two 3 watts from corbins board?

Ari-Jaq Xulden
10-16-2008, 01:20 PM
okay so i dug up this old thread because it never really got answered. i read where xwing said that the luke and mace mr boards doesn't send voltage through, the clash sensor.so it is feasible.my problem though is power at this point.would i have to make a volatge regulator fet to prevent from blowing the mr board or can one simply be purchased?im looking for something that allow a single li-ion power source say 11.1v and be able to shunt 3.6 to the mr board and 7.2 to corbins board. any suggestions?

Sloda Foade
06-07-2010, 08:32 PM
you could try an opto isolator to transfer the "signal" but isolate the actual voltages. test which one has the higher voltage and use it for the input to the opto isolator. If you haven't seen them, they are little ic packages like 555 chip but with only 6 pins.

Shadar Al'Niende
06-07-2010, 10:08 PM
holy 1+ year necro batman... :D

Sloda Foade
06-08-2010, 01:36 AM
yeah just noticed that, don't know why it popped up in my inbox? Sorry for resurrecting the dead, but the information is useful...if VERY late :)